hibs.net Messageboard

Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 2535
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me and the missus went to El Castillo at Newhaven Harbour, Mexican place that’s not long opened.

Food was great, restaurant was pretty busy with very good service and a nice atmosphere. I had two courses and two pints, she had three courses and a juice and a cocktail for a mere sixty quid. Will 100% be back soon
    I went last week after reading this and loved it. HUGE portions and pretty cheap. Will definitely revisit.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Food and beers at Brewdog last night. The chicken burger was fantastic.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    An Improvement Notice could be for some cracked tiles, allergen menus needing updated or any number of minor issues. Mostly sorted within a couple of days but you have to wait weeks for a revisit to get off the naughty step. If it was a serious issue they would be closed down until sorted. The recent campaign the Evening News has undertaken is an absolute scandal. All they've done is damage the reputation of businesses, many small & locally owned and still trying to recover from the damage done a couple of years ago. Gutter press!
    I'm guessing there is a list published somewhere online where the press can find out all this info. Yes very difficult for lots of places to recover. I've done work in 3 Chinese restaurants in Edinburgh & £u3k knows how they pass any sort of visit. One restaurant I said to owners friend, how are you expecting me to work in that kitchen. His reply "Just get on with it there's lots of restaurants out there just like here" 🤢

Toby Carvery Corstorphine. Tables need a clean. Vegetables are mushy.
    They should just mix them all in a big bowl and stick a flag on the top marked VEG.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Toby Carvery Corstorphine. Tables need a clean. Vegetables are mushy.
    They should just mix them all in a big bowl and stick a flag on the top marked VEG.
    Have been a few times recently and always found it pretty decent for a carvery, vegetables were fine too. Never been a carvery fan but have enjoyed it tbere every time.

Eastern Pavilion tonight in Corstorphine, the food was absolutely top notch, still the best around in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Eastern Pavilion tonight in Corstorphine, the food was absolutely top notch, still the best around in my opinion.
    Agreed. Booked for Christmas Eve.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Agreed. Booked for Christmas Eve.
    Food there is brilliant. Prahna seems to be the place in Corstorphine that gets all the love as an Indian, but the food at Eastern Pavilion is miles better. People are being seduced by the trendy interior at Pranha I think.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I went last week after reading this and loved it. HUGE portions and pretty cheap. Will definitely revisit.
    Glad you enjoyed it mate, I think we’re going back one night through the week.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Skal in Reykjavik. Was looking for a meal in the city and there’s a food market in the old bus station.

Skal is Michelin recommended, had baked Atlantic char with onion and caper butter, shaved fennel, and mashed potato. Pudding was berry compote, white chocolate ganache, hazelnut crumb and sorrel sorbet.

Hands down the best pudding I’ve ever had, and the fish was cooked perfectly. Very reasonable too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Tried Shakedown, the new burger bar in Corstorphine. Simple to order online with a not too complicated menu and well organised website. This is a Manchester-based business branching out for the first time. I predict a bright future. The ubiquitous chicken burger was quite salty but at £7 good value and nicely packaged to takeaway.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Recent return to Tanjore, oppposite the Odeon, not sure if that is still Clerk St.

This time no waiting around for our table ( 30 mins the last time).

The food was very good. It’s a small menu and it’s kept pretty simple too. No side dishes either, you’re in for a main dish. The Dosas are amazing, worth a try.

It’s a no frills, byob, authentic south Indian and cost us £175.00 including a tenner tip, for six.

My only gripe is that I could have been doing with eating more. Portions weren’t massive and I ate a starter, main, rice and half a paratha, lol. Restaurants really should offer varying sized portions and charge a bit more, blah, blah

Still, barri scran but😀

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Anyone familiar with/been to Toro Latino steakhouse in Fountainbridge? Wife and I are heading on Saturday evening but it was a random booking after a Google search - reviews were good - just wondering if anyone can anecdotally vouch for it.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Amazing how many restaurants in Edinburgh are closed on a Monday, just taken ages to fill the gap in our plan when we’re up Sunday-Wednesday (still haunted by that bloody semi final!)

Got a meal included with our room in Malmaison on Sunday. Staying in the Balmoral on Monday and Tuesday so booked in at Prince Brasserie on the Tuesday with Monteiths filling the gap on Monday.

All sounds very pricy but got to carry out a 9 year promise!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Not Edinburgh, but if anyone is ever in Liverpool, I can thoroughly recommend these two places, both on Bold Street.

Firstly, Bakchich. It is a Lebanese place and we tried to get dinner there at about 5.30 last Saturday but it was full. We went for brunch the next day and it was excellent. I had the Full Lebanese () and my wife had a vegetarian wrap. Both were lovely.

When we couldn't get in there, we went to a Turkish place further down Bold Street, Akasya. Food was delicious and service was good. The only thing was it seemed like they had rammed in a few too many tables.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Not Edinburgh, but if anyone is ever in Liverpool, I can thoroughly recommend these two places, both on Bold Street.

Firstly, Bakchich. It is a Lebanese place and we tried to get dinner there at about 5.30 last Saturday but it was full. We went for brunch the next day and it was excellent. I had the Full Lebanese () and my wife had a vegetarian wrap. Both were lovely.

When we couldn't get in there, we went to a Turkish place further down Bold Street, Akasya. Food was delicious and service was good. The only thing was it seemed like they had rammed in a few too many tables.
    Me and my Mrs try to avoid going to the same restaurant twice in most cities, purely to make the most of the choice. Speaks volumes that we’ve been to Bakchich twice in the last 12 months.

Meal at Malmaison Leith last night wasn’t much to write home about. £100 for “half board” but only included £50 dinner credit and two £21 breakfasts. Work that one out.

Been to Monteith’s tonight and it was absolutely outstanding. Don’t normally have fish dishes but the smoked haddock starter was outstanding. Brie custard & candied walnuts was different, albeit quite rich with so much Brie. Pork belly was excellent but the star of the show was the venison loin. Absolutely incredible. Got a side of mashed potato and greens and didn’t even have any room for dessert.

Great meal at Amarone in George St.
    Not the cheapest but still great food.

Mariachi on Victoria Street last night, really enjoyed it and would recommend.

Masti in Morningside last night was decent.

@hibs.net private member
    Been to a few places recently:

Barcelona:

Sartoria Panatieri - Neapolitan pizza, does all your standard types but also some more creative stuff. Excellent.

L’Arrosseria Xàtiva - had lobster paella which was superb

Paris:

Dumbo64 - smash burgers. Went after landing as was starving. Potentially the best smash burger I’ve ever had, and by default for me, potentially the best burger I’ve had

La Baguette De Relais - steak, fries, the famous Le Relais De Venise dish on a baguette. Absolutely outstanding. Also went to Le Relais De Venise restaurant in Saint Germain, excellent as always.

Bao Bar - Taiwanese restaurant, great food, more than reasonable prices, very casual.

Edinburgh:

Pho - really good for a reasonably priced dinner. Try avoid getting sat beside the open kitchen as my jacket has just been engrained with the smell since.

Noto - excellent as always. Never had a bad dish here.

Glasgow:

Franks pizza. One of the best pizzas I’ve had in the UK. New York sort of style, crispy, slightly chewy dough. Excellent ingredients.

Went to Brassiere Prince at the Balmoral on Tuesday. Everything we hoped for and more. The fillet steak was just pure melt in the mouth. Service as impeccable as you’d expect. So glad we visited.

Been to American Pies in Manchester tonight. No airs and graces, just a proper good feed. Short rib tater tots and beef wellington burrito. Mega.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Great meal at Amarone in George St.
    Not the cheapest but still great food.
    Get yourself on Itison, £45 for 3 course meal & a cocktail for 2 people. Offer begins 3rd January

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Me and the missus went to O’Olivieros Italian on the Grassmarket on New Year’s Day, great atmosphere, staff were superb and food fantastic. Will definitely be back. The draugh moretti was sensational and flew down which always helps!

We then went for breakfast at the Roseleaf (behind Aldi on Commercial Street and just off the Shore) on the Tuesday and I can safely say it’s the best breakfast I’ve had out. Going back next Saturday morning
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Pepe Nero in Stockbridge. Great food at reasonable prices

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    Pepe Nero in Stockbridge. Great food at reasonable prices
    Yes, great wee place and price very fair IMO

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post

Wee bit off topic but did you know that Bold St has been subject of supposed time slip incidents a couple of times?

Anyone been to the Desi Pakwan at Slateford yet? Leith one seems to get good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Anyone been to the Desi Pakwan at Slateford yet? Leith one seems to get good reviews.
    No but been to the one on Leith Walk and it was excellent.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Wee bit off topic but did you know that Bold St has been subject of supposed time slip incidents a couple of times?
    Just read up on this. Quite interesting that it’s happened to several people, including one woman who has experienced it at Edinburgh Waverley too.