hibs.net Messageboard

Page 65 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 2506
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    La Casa in Dalry Road last night. Brilliant atmosphere. Very busy. 8 tapas, a pint of Birra Moretti and large glass of sangria. £58.

Food is really nice. Service quick and friendly. Family owned. The other restaurant on Leith Walk is also very good.

Ditch plasticky Cafe Andaluz and go to your local, independently owned La Casa.
    Visited both La Casa venues recently and loved them. GreT food, great value and nice people.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Sad to hear that Alberto Crolla Senior has passed away, a fine gentleman and the man who started what has now become The Vittoria group. Vittoria Brunswick Street where it all began with Alberto and his wife Dina. I had the pleasure of many an hour in his company during my six years with the Vittoria group, a sad loss.

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I don't want to slag off cafe andaluz as I quite like their stuff but to throw into the mix of small tapas places there is also "Tapas3" on Howden street which is really nice.
    Another nice wee Tapas/ wine bar is Piggs on the High Street, always had a good time in there

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alhibby View Post
    Another nice wee Tapas/ wine bar is Piggs on the High Street, always had a good time in there

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
    Thats been on my list for quite a while but I’m a creature of habit and when I want cheese, meat and wine I’m very much a Pickles on Broughton Street man.

Went to Howie’s on Waterloo Place last night, really enjoyed it. Landed lucky that the ‘casserole of the day’ was venison, absolutely outstanding. Booked for 6.15pm so managed to sneak under their ‘early dining offer’. £65 before drinks for two of us to have three courses.

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    Thats been on my list for quite a while but I’m a creature of habit and when I want cheese, meat and wine I’m very much a Pickles on Broughton Street man.
    Love the platters in Pickles, must make a visit soon

@hibs.net private member
    Stayed in Glasgow while up for the LC Final and went to Elenas Tapas bar in Old Dumbarton Road.
    Great food and service, would definitely go back if given the chance.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    It’s doing well BW considering the tough times we have opened in. It’s hard going with us both doing constant seven days a week but needs must, maybe get some days off next year! Receiving some very good reviews and business growing each week so hopefully it continues.
    You might have to wait a long time for a second one 😁
    Finally got round to trying your place. Have to echo the comments, excellent. Loved the batter on the fish and the chips had a nice crisp on the outside as well.

Other places I've been recently;

Dusit - Superb!
    One20 Dundas Street - Also very good, I had the lasagne

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Finally got round to trying your place. Have to echo the comments, excellent. Loved the batter on the fish and the chips had a nice crisp on the outside as well.
    Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Was at Karen's Unicorn on Saturday. Had been before a few years ago and was underwhelmed but the food on Saturday was outstanding - up there with the best Chinese I've ever eaten ( and there has been a lot ).

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Was at Karen's Unicorn on Saturday. Had been before a few years ago and was underwhelmed but the food on Saturday was outstanding - up there with the best Chinese I've ever eaten ( and there has been a lot ).
    Also a fan of Karen's!

Was at Henderson's at Barclay Place on Sunday evening. Not a veggie/vegan but thought we'd try for something different. Was really good. Both had a mushroom and leek tart to start (with a nice tarragon aioli). Then I had veggie haggis with turnip and root mash with a nice cream sauce on it and Mrs Bairn had nut roast which she said was very tasty. Looked good. We had a couple of mocktails as on a dry January and finished with a latte and lemon and ginger tea. Both thought it was very good and would return. £53 plus service charge of 10%.
    Last edited by Hibby Bairn; 12-01-2022 at 07:24 AM.

My girlfriend and I got some cash for Christmas and we’re thinking of trying a restaurant that would normally be out of our price range.

We’re looking for somewhere that does a tasting menu with matched wines, budget probably in the region of £200-£300, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck Le God View Post
    My girlfriend and I got some cash for Christmas and we’re thinking of trying a restaurant that would normally be out of our price range.

We’re looking for somewhere that does a tasting menu with matched wines, budget probably in the region of £200-£300, any suggestions?

Edinburgh? Not often mentioned but I'd definitely consider the Purslane down Stockbridge way.
    Only been once, tasting menu with matched wines well within your budget and it was outstanding!

I’m not an expert at that price range but The Kitchin was an exceptional experience.

Cheers, both added to the list of options.

Promising Youngster
    I did the Kitchin tasting menu a couple months ago and it was absolutely brilliant. Highly recommend 👍🏼

Martin Wisharts

Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    Martin Wisharts

The only thing about the Tasting Menu thing is you see an awful lot of the waiting staff and sommelier. I think 3 course + cheese is a bit more relaxed.

Fhior on Broughton Street is well worth a visit, tasting menu and wine package is very reasonable, Scott Smith is an excellent chef.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Anyone been to Gaucho for their Sunday roast? Taking my Mum this weekend to take advantage of the 25% Hibby discount.

This was excellent. Pretty quiet but the Sunday Roast was superb. A massive sharing platter of veg with free top ups of the veg, yorkie and gravy. The beef was top quality and they asked if you wanted it pink or cooked through. They also offered a complimentary wee rump steak so loads of meat. £22 (less 25% for being a Hibs season ticket holder.), great value. They also had an unlimited meat option for £32 (I think) but really no need. Great value....the bottle of wine was dearer than both meals!
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 19-01-2022 at 12:20 AM.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Bon Vivant Sunday roast - quote simple25 when making the booking for 25% off all food (similarly in their el Cartel & devils advocate places too)

Went to Bon V on Sunday there and was top notch

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Bon Vivant Sunday roast - quote simple25 when making the booking for 25% off all food (similarly in their el Cartel & devils advocate places too)

Went to Bon V on Sunday there and was top notch
    Bon Vivant is probably the best setting in the city. Lovely little place.

Went to La Casa on Leith Walk last night after seeing a positive review on here. Really good and excellent value at under £70 for 7 tapas, 2 beers and a large glass of wine.

Also went to the much maligned Old Eastway Tap that occupies what used to the the Four In Hand. Really good beer selection and service was excellent. It was pretty busy as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First time for me visiting a Michelin starred restaurant at the kitchin for the tasting menu with wine pairing. I was worried it would be a stuffy service but it was all very relaxed and the food was exceptional.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    We were back at Prana on Monday night for their Valentines tasting menu. We did their Festive tasting menu in the run up to Christmas as that was outstanding, so we were looking forward to this. It was a completely different menu to last time.

Glass of Prosecco on arrival with an amuse bouche of spiced smoked salmon and caviar, followed by 11 courses of deliciousness (8 ‘starters’, a palate cleanser of sorbet, a ‘main’ with sides and a pudding).

Highlights included the duck salad, Sumundari Khazana (scallops, oyster, mussels and prawns with tomato served with a shot of amazing mango wine), tawa paneer, shakerandi chat, spicy sea bream, Malai prawn and the Adaki lamb chop. The crispy okra side with the main was awesome too. It was all outstanding, though. So much food.

The main man said I was the only person who had managed to eat every drop of food

JDH was also there. Hope he was having the tasting menu as he looked like he needed a good feed.

Back there tonight (not for the tasting menu as it only comes out at special occasions). Looking forward to it! So lucky to have this place on our doorstep pretty much.
    Last edited by overdrive; 19-02-2022 at 12:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    We were back at Prana on Monday night for their Valentines tasting menu. We did their Festive tasting menu in the run up to Christmas as that was outstanding, so we were looking forward to this. It was a completely different menu to last time.

Glass of Prosecco on arrival with an amuse bouche of spiced smoked salmon and caviar, followed by 11 courses of deliciousness (8 ‘starters’, a palate cleanser of sorbet, a ‘main’ with sides and a pudding).

Highlights included the duck salad, Sumundari Khazana (scallops, oyster, mussels and prawns with tomato served with a shot of amazing mango wine), tawa paneer, shakerandi chat, spicy sea bream, Malai prawn and the Adaki lamb chop. The crispy okra side with the main was awesome too. It was all outstanding, though. So much food.

The main man said I was the only person who had managed to eat every drop of food

JDH was also there. Hope he was having the tasting menu as he looked like he needed a good feed.

Back there tonight (not for the tasting menu as it only comes out at special occasions). Looking forward to it! So lucky to have this place on our doorstep pretty much.
    Bugger, that sounds amazing but I completely overlooked it.
    I ended up doing the Valentine's menu at Dine, was still a very good meal but the Prana one sounds next level.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post

Son and girlfriend were there last week, said it was good but not excellent, the lamb in one of the curries let them down. Said he would try again though. I’ve only used the takeaway (Abida) from them so far and that was okay.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Bugger, that sounds amazing but I completely overlooked it.
    I ended up doing the Valentine's menu at Dine, was still a very good meal but the Prana one sounds next level.
    Another great meal tonight, although they maybe seemed a bit short staffed tonight.