hibs.net Messageboard

Page 62 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 2534
    @hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were there for lunch today, it was excellent. I agree about the service, always friendly with a description of each meat. The truffle and Parmesan fries are the best chips ever.
    Another vote for Fazenda from me, had lunch today. Great food and top notch service.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Dishoom for me tonight. Food as always was superb. However, have to say the service was outstanding from the guy at the door to the waiters. So efficient, friendly and professional could not fault a thing from arriving to leaving. I asked our server if it would be possible to try a small sample of one of the small plates as I was unsure if I would like it. No problem she said, then proceeded to bring a whole serving on the house. Cannot praise them highly enough.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Dishoom for me tonight. Food as always was superb. However, have to say the service was outstanding from the guy at the door to the waiters. So efficient, friendly and professional could not fault a thing from arriving to leaving. I asked our server if it would be possible to try a small sample of one of the small plates as I was unsure if I would like it. No problem she said, then proceeded to bring a whole serving on the house. Cannot praise them highly enough.
    Dishoom is so good.

I’ve got the cookbook and there’s a lot of great recipes in that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Dishoom is so good.

I’ve got the cookbook and there’s a lot of great recipes in that.
    Thinking that might be a wee gift to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Thinking that might be a wee gift to myself.
    If you get it and you’re toiling to find some of the spices I’d recommend krishna foods on Gorgie Road.

I’ve trecked round so many Asian supermarkets to find Chaat Masala, Diggi Merch etc and they seem to have everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I was in the beer garden at Ten Hill Place over the weekend and they were charging £5 for a pint of flat Carling in a plastic glass.

I know places have had it difficult but if they charge charging ridiculous prices for a rubbish product they aren't going to last long. The novelty of being able to get out and into these places will only last so long.
    £7.80 for a large 660ml bottle of Moretti in Guilianos this week.

Regardless of increased cleaning costs, capacity, etc. that’s just a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post

That is scandalous.

A bottle as well. **** me.

Prices seem to have gone up unsurprisingly, we were at pizza express last week and it fairly gone up starters and desserts usually 5-6 quid each are now 7-8.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Prices seem to have gone up unsurprisingly, we were at pizza express last week and it fairly gone up starters and desserts usually 5-6 quid each are now 7-8.
    From the few times I’ve been out we seem to have hit London prices in a lot of places.

Not really much use when we don’t get paid like people in London so something will have to give somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post

That's just ridiculous. That would anger me that much that even if I wanted another bottle I'd not bother as I'd simply refuse to pay that for a bottle of beer.

Businesses have to be careful here. I think the public are very sympathetic to the plight of hospitality but if it starts to creep in that these places are blatantly ripping off customers then they'll very quickly find out people won't tolerate it.

From the few times I’ve been out we seem to have hit London prices in a lot of places.

Not really much use when we don’t get paid like people in London so something will have to give somewhere.
    The thing is once prices go up they very very rarely go back down.

I've never been that bothered by paying an extra 50p or whatever up town for a pint than a local but it they start creeping over £5 for a basic lager then that will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I've never been that bothered by paying an extra 50p or whatever up town for a pint than a local but it they start creeping over £5 for a basic lager then that will change.
    Exactly where I am too.

@hibs.net private member
    That is scandalous.

A bottle as well. **** me.

Especially when it is brewed at the Gyle --- rip off crap ! How I hate such beers !!!!!

I’m not sure if it’s newhavens picture but it’s been all over social media recently - picture of a bottle of Moretti with the playhouse in the background and a receipt.

I’m not sure if it’s newhavens picture but it’s been all over social media recently - picture of a bottle of Moretti with the playhouse in the background and a receipt.
    Not mine but know who it was that sent me it.

£8 a beer won’t last for long for punters.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    That person did also clarify that the draft was off at the time. Looking at their menu and they charge £4 for 500ml draft which doesn't seem too bad - especially for a restaurant.
    Mon the Hibs.

I think when considering the pricing in restaurants currently you have to think about a few things.

Firstly no one has been out in a year so what might have been a couple of small incremental rises now appears like a short, sharp shock. Taking the Pizza Express example above with a starter now somewhere between £1 and £2 more expensive. Had that been a 50p increase last May and a 65p increase at the start of this month would you anyone have noticed?

I think people also fail to understand just how much prices have gone up. As one example I supply vinyl gloves to restaurants, last year a case of 1000 gloves was in the region of £12. At the worst point of the last 12 months we were paying £60+ for the same product, that's if we could get any at all. We are the wholesaler so add a margin on to that before sale to the end user as well. The same is true of takeaway packaging. 20% increases on pizza boxes, 25% on foil, polystyrene increases are almost off the scale and as that is phased out the replacement products are even more pricey. Add to that the supply chain is close to breaking point, carriers are failing deliveries at an unprecedented level and imports are delayed.

Most of my customers aren't making any money at the moment due to all the combined factors. It's about being open and preparing for better days. That's not excusing £7.80 for a bottle of Moretti but equally there are many reasons why a pub or restaurant has to charge more for a beer. It's not a level playing field when they are up against supermarkets.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think when considering the pricing in restaurants currently you have to think about a few things.

Firstly no one has been out in a year so what might have been a couple of small incremental rises now appears like a short, sharp shock. Taking the Pizza Express example above with a starter now somewhere between £1 and £2 more expensive. Had that been a 50p increase last May and a 65p increase at the start of this month would you anyone have noticed?

I think people also fail to understand just how much prices have gone up. As one example I supply vinyl gloves to restaurants, last year a case of 1000 gloves was in the region of £12. At the worst point of the last 12 months we were paying £60+ for the same product, that's if we could get any at all. We are the wholesaler so add a margin on to that before sale to the end user as well. The same is true of takeaway packaging. 20% increases on pizza boxes, 25% on foil, polystyrene increases are almost off the scale and as that is phased out the replacement products are even more pricey. Add to that the supply chain is close to breaking point, carriers are failing deliveries at an unprecedented level and imports are delayed.

Most of my customers aren't making any money at the moment due to all the combined factors. It's about being open and preparing for better days. That's not excusing £7.80 for a bottle of Moretti but equally there are many reasons why a pub or restaurant has to charge more for a beer. It's not a level playing field when they are up against supermarkets.
    These places are in for a shock, I know they're trying to make money but, covid wasn't created by the man on the street. They could be in for a shock, particularly during the summer months.

There’ll come a crunch point eventually.

I of course believe everything you’ve said and for some restaurants it’ll be a necessity to have increased prices. For some it’ll be an attempt to rip folk off and make as much as possible.

Either way though, the customers won’t be seeing pay increases etc to match such astronomical increases. At some point, people will just turn round and decide they’re not paying £8 for a bottle of beer or £22 for a tiny fish and chips and a pint and they’ll stop going.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

I work in the food and drink sector, and apart from some small ingredients prices increases, products from the Far East, hasn’t been much movement on food prices

Rumours of inflation though, just round the corner

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    660ml is the same size as 2 standard bottles. £3.90 for a bottle of premium beer in a restaurant is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    660ml is the same size as 2 standard bottles. £3.90 for a bottle of premium beer in a restaurant is a bargain.
    It’s also less than 100ml more than a pint and nowhere near as good.

£3.90 for a bottle is a rip off as well imo. Never sure why anyone drinks bottles tbh. They’re for the hoose

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

£3.90 for a bottle is a rip off as well imo. Never sure why anyone drinks bottles tbh. They’re for the hoose
    Bottles are good in clubs, and places where the pints are crap.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    First restaurant of the year, the Salisbury arms, last night.

Was very nice and didn't notice if they'd put their prices up any, things looked about the same for the food. Lamb koftas followed by pork belly washed down with a ginger beer (I daren't check how much was paid for a tiny bottle of fever tree less we open a can of worms there!).

It's a shame we couldn't have a few drinks with the meal, level 3 feels a bit arbitrary in that regards - it will be nice to get out again in due course for a level 2 experience.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

Packaged beers are more expensive than draught by volume. Always have been, always will be. They come with a branded bottle that has a cost not only to buy but to dispose of. £3.90 for a bottle of beer (or equivalent of) in a restaurant is far from expensive.

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Just read that Miro's Cantina in Rose Street has closed for good as from today, hasn't survived the pandemic, a real shame as it was, IMO, THE best mexican in Edinburgh

Quote Originally Posted by alhibby View Post
    Just read that Miro's Cantina in Rose Street has closed for good as from today, hasn't survived the pandemic, a real shame as it was, IMO, THE best mexican in Edinburgh
    That’s a real blow, like you loved going there
    Wonder if the owners will pitch up somewhere else?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Does anyone remember the Mexican restaurant that was on Grove Street (Haymarket end)? It was totally mental - it was BYOB and the owner/cook appeared to always bring plenty for himself. You had to go through the kitchen to get to the toilet and you'd normally see him pished out his head, struggling to stay uproght and generally not giving a hoot.

Maybe the Cantina something...?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Does anyone remember the Mexican restaurant that was on Grove Street (Haymarket end)? It was totally mental - it was BYOB and the owner/cook appeared to always bring plenty for himself. You had to go through the kitchen to get to the toilet and you'd normally see him pished out his head, struggling to stay uproght and generally not giving a hoot.

Maybe the Cantina something...?
    Pachuko Cantina?
    Haven’t been in the centre of Edinburgh for almost a year

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Pachuko Cantina?
    Haven’t been in the centre of Edinburgh for almost a year
    I'm talking about 20+ years ago.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 19-05-2021 at 01:19 PM.