hibs.net Messageboard

Page 57 of 85 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2534
    @hibs.net private member
    The best fish and chips I ever had was from the site of the Market, Harry Ramsdens.

Thick fish and chips cooked in dripping if I remember correctly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reduced capacity for social distancing will have an impact but fingers crossed.
    I'm a chef in a wee hotel, normally seat 40 but reduced to 20ish and 8 o'clock last orders now. Great for me but can't get a pint when I finish now....

Sent from my motorola one macro using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    A bit out the way, but Pairings in York is brilliant.

The wine was great but the cheese was unreal.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Not a review but worth a mention. Indian restaurants are few and far between here in rural Brittany so I was delighted when one opened earlier this year not far from me. I went for the first time on July 14th (public holiday here) and had a Biryani which was excellent.

I returned last night with some mates and the guy in restaurant not only remembered me from the last time but also what I'd ordered.

Pretty impressive!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Not a review but worth a mention. Indian restaurants are few and far between here in rural Brittany so I was delighted when one opened earlier this year not far from me. I went for the first time on July 14th (public holiday here) and had a Biryani which was excellent.

I returned last night with some mates and the guy in restaurant not only remembered me from the last time but also what I'd ordered.

Pretty impressive!
    You say it was impressive, but to be fair the first time you rocked in bouncing off the walls, with your shirt off, shouting "Gies a biryani ya radge bas***ds" repeatedly until the police came to move you on.

Was harder for them to forget you, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    You say it was impressive, but to be fair the first time you rocked in bouncing off the walls, with your shirt off, shouting "Gies a bryani ya radge bas***ds" repeatedly until the police came to move you on.

Was harder for them to forget you, to be honest.
    Yeah - must've been my accent!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Visited Prana(Corstorphine) last night and whilst the food was excellent, I was actually more impressed with the drinks!
    Don't get me wrong, the recently renovated restaurant has put a lot of effort in to their new menu, and whilst it has become a little limited due to its simplified nature, the offerings are wide and diverse.
    The monkfish starter was brilliant and the chicken jalfrezi was hot but not overly so, and had a pleasant tangy-ness, but the drinks!!!
    We had a few between us, Mrs SG loved the Bellini but I was blown away by the whisky sour. Indian whiskey laced with cardamom bitters, oooft, so good I had two!
    The restaurant isn't the traditional Indian where you might go with the lads after a few pints, but I'll definitely be back with the good lady and mixed company next time I need an uprated Indian.
    They've worked so hard to get the place up and running and it's such a refreshing change from the former incarnation of the restaurant, although the takeaway menu is still in the gift of the previous management (and actual owner), I believe. Business is business.

The manager Arun and his pal Leo are charming and very genuine and of course the food is top class and unique. All through this virus period they've followed the rules to the letter. Staff are young, smart and masked.

Contrast that with The Spice Lounge Kitchen up Drum Brae where, during a recent visit, the signs were up, the floor markings and even health advice pamphlets were in evidence, but bar staff were serving pints without masks, the place was rammed with huns watching a Sunday match on the big screen and a wedding reception was in full swing and mixing with the bar crowd. The restaurant section of the establishment was not properly spaced. The waiters were at least wearing masks but the Ladies loo had run out of paper.

It used to be The Rainbow. It's getting to feel like it again.

What’s the current Corstorphine/West Edinburgh curry takeaway of choice?

Been using Asha as it’s on my doorstep but seems it’s changed hands and the last couple have been average.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Mrs Mibbes was up in Edinburgh with work on Friday and took the chance to grab a takeaway from La Garrigue, to reheat at home.

The starters were a salmon pate and a game terrine, both decent with some oatcakes.

The mains were exceptional. The first was one of their signature dishes, their cassoulet. Funny dish, because in some ways it tastes better for being reheated. The second was their bouillabaisse and that was the absolute star of the show. No shortage of proteins in the dish and jam-packed with flavour.

We got cheeses as well, they seem to have switched from Henri’s to Mellis as their supplier. Didn’t have room for them but will try and find space tonight.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    What’s the current Corstorphine/West Edinburgh curry takeaway of choice?

Been using Asha as it’s on my doorstep but seems it’s changed hands and the last couple have been average.
    Mine is St Johns but Prana/Abida seem to be getting rave reviews

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    We had the takeaway from Wedgewood again last night, our second over this Covid period.
    I had ham cured Mallard ham followed by 80hr slow cooked beef brisket then the Wedgewood chocolate orange. The good lady had cauliflower velouté, confit chicken then coconut pannacotta.
    We also added the cheese selection (for one) to share between us. All the sides are well paired with the dishes, just as you would expect.
    The delivery is between 5pm & 7:30pm and comes well laid out so they're is minimum prep.
    Including tip, it came in just under £70, perhaps not the price of your usual takeaway but for someone who'd normally go out every couple of weeks for a meal anyway, it's a nice wee treat and a reminder that life out there can be "normal" sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Mine is St Johns but Prana/Abida seem to be getting rave reviews
    Was looking at Abida. Dangal was another. Not had a S John’s for years so might give that a try.

Reviews of Prana look good I’m guessing it’s collection only.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Was looking at Abida. Dangal was another. Not had a S John’s for years so might give that a try.

Reviews of Prana look good I’m guessing it’s collection only.
    Abida is the takeaway whereas Prana is the sit-in restaurant. It's the same premises but ran separately.
    You can also download the Abida app to get discount and promotions (virtually every weekend I get a push message offering 10/15% off.

Abida is the takeaway whereas Prana is the sit-in restaurant. It's the same premises but ran separately.
    You can also download the Abida app to get discount and promotions (virtually every weekend I get a push message offering 10/15% off.
    Ah thanks! Registered on the app will give them a go.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Had a couple of the "at home" boxes over the weekend. Stein at home, from Rick stein - the hake menu - was really nice. On any other weekend it would have been easily the best meal I had but SixByNico manage to translate their restaurant quality to home "cooking" very well. At £50 for a bottle of wine and all the food you need to create a very good and filling meal it's good value too.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Had a couple of the "at home" boxes over the weekend. Stein at home, from Rick stein - the hake menu - was really nice. On any other weekend it would have been easily the best meal I had but SixByNico manage to translate their restaurant quality to home "cooking" very well. At £50 for a bottle of wine and all the food you need to create a very good and filling meal it's good value too.
    I watched the SixByNico documentaries with interest, he certainly has a drive and ambition to expand quickly. I thought the quality would suffer but he seems to be pulling it off.

We had the takeaway from Wedgewood again last night, our second over this Covid period.
    I had ham cured Mallard ham followed by 80hr slow cooked beef brisket then the Wedgewood chocolate orange. The good lady had cauliflower velouté, confit chicken then coconut pannacotta.
    We also added the cheese selection (for one) to share between us. All the sides are well paired with the dishes, just as you would expect.
    The delivery is between 5pm & 7:30pm and comes well laid out so they're is minimum prep.
    Including tip, it came in just under £70, perhaps not the price of your usual takeaway but for someone who'd normally go out every couple of weeks for a meal anyway, it's a nice wee treat and a reminder that life out there can be "normal" sometimes.
    We used Wedgewood right at the start of lockdown, the food was really sensational.

I watched the SixByNico documentaries with interest, he certainly has a drive and ambition to expand quickly. I thought the quality would suffer but he seems to be pulling it off.
    It's a good concept he has created. I enjoyed the documentary too, I'd have liked to have seen a bit more about inspiration behind his menu choices and the effort and time it must take to tweak them as necessary to their final position.

They were meant to be announcing something exciting today but it doesn't seem to have happened.

If this not allowed then I apologise and will remove my post.

I am the co owner of a new premium fish and chip shop opening on Broughton Street mid November. It will be called “The Chippy by Spencer” as my business partner has an impressive CV as a chef so it was my idea to use his name.

Hope to see a few Hibees visiting.

I am the co owner of a new premium fish and chip shop opening on Broughton Street mid November. It will be called “The Chippy by Spencer” as my business partner has an impressive CV as a chef so it was my idea to use his name.

Is that the old Cafe Rapido site?

Good luck with the venture.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Had read about this before - I’m presuming it was on here! Look forward to trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Is that the old Cafe Rapido site?

Good luck with the venture.
    Yes , currently ripping it out getting ready for new five pan range arriving early November. Thank you.

Yes Stu, currently ripping it out getting ready for new five pan range arriving early November. Thank you.
    Great stuff! I hope it all goes well for you.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Yes , currently ripping it out getting ready for new five pan range arriving early November. Thank you.
    All the best SH

Cheers guys, hope the first review on here is a good one!

Nice one.

I'll give it a try once it's open for sure! Good luck with it!
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar

10 minutes from my house so will def be giving it a try, we've been crying out for a seriously good chippy around The Leith Walk area ever since the Tailend shut, best of luck to you in your new endeavour

Good luck.
    Space to let

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62

Better still have the cheesy chorizo pizza or hell mend ye!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Better still have the cheesy chorizo pizza or hell mend ye!
    Hell mend me then 😁