hibs.net Messageboard

Page 43 of 85 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 2534
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are the takeaways still generally open and is it unfair to use them? What are people's thoughts on them at the moment?

2 weekends ago, before the lockdown was properly enforced I got a takeaway from La favourita because I go to Vittoria's quite often and wanted to try to keep giving them my business when I wasn't able to get to their restaurants.

I see they've since stopped doing deliveries for the safety of their staff and I think that's probably the right decision. So therefore should I assume that the takeaways still delivering are doing so against the safety of their own staff and me ordering anything is just perpetuating that cycle?

Or will there be adequate safeguards in place and people ordering takeaway are helping businesses and therefore employers?
    Had a Chinese takeaway delivered last weekend. Paid over the phone. Driver left it on the doorstep and knocked on the door. Sorted.

Tipped all the food into own bowls/plates. Chucked containers out. Washed hands. Ate food.

👍😀

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Are the takeaways still generally open and is it unfair to use them? What are people's thoughts on them at the moment?

2 weekends ago, before the lockdown was properly enforced I got a takeaway from La favourita because I go to Vittoria's quite often and wanted to try to keep giving them my business when I wasn't able to get to their restaurants.

I see they've since stopped doing deliveries for the safety of their staff and I think that's probably the right decision. So therefore should I assume that the takeaways still delivering are doing so against the safety of their own staff and me ordering anything is just perpetuating that cycle?

Or will there be adequate safeguards in place and people ordering takeaway are helping businesses and therefore employers?
    It’s a matter of your own judgement, as you may or may not know I am the Safety Manager for the Restaurant Group you mentioned, we considered all the factors and the risk to our staff and suppliers/customers and decided to stop our whole operation. That’s not a criticism of anyone that continues to deliver as each business makes their own decisions based on their own assessments. I personally haven’t had any food delivered yet but I am tempted to use the Chinese Manor House in Corstorphine this weekend as they are delivering.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    It’s a matter of your own judgement, as you may or may not know I am the Safety Manager for the Restaurant Group you mentioned, we considered all the factors and the risk to our staff and suppliers/customers and decided to stop our whole operation. That’s not a criticism of anyone that continues to deliver as each business makes their own decisions based on their own assessments. I personally haven’t had any food delivered yet but I am tempted to use the Chinese Manor House in Corstorphine this weekend as they are delivering.

I knew you worked with them, but didn't know your role. All the best to you and the group at the other end of this!

I'm not sure if takeaway places would have put as much effort into the decision making process as Vittoria Group or put as much emphasis on safety.

But is not ordering just double punishment for the staff. I think I'll probably order in the end in all honesty - I just thought I'd test the water to see if the .net moral compass had something different to say.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’ve had a few deliveries. The Chinese I got last weekend was the weakest in terms of safety. They seemed to be quite happy to take cash on delivery though I paid over the phone. They are shut now though.

Hoping to get a curry delivered tonight.

Gave in and ordered Chinese tonight from the Manor House Restaurant in Corstorphinre, it was excellent.

Gave in and ordered Chinese tonight from the Manor House Restaurant in Corstorphinre, it was excellent.
    Lucky you. Tried for 15 minutes to get through and was constantly engaged. Same with Royal Dynasty at Barnton.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Lucky you. Tried for 15 minutes to get through and was constantly engaged. Same with Royal Dynasty at Barnton.
    I phoned just before 5 and they answered straight away, saw on the local FB page that loads tried but couldn’t get through, so busy.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Maybe I'm being daft but why this massive spike in everyone suddenly wanting takeaways all the time since lockdown? No way has folk run out of food in the house!!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Maybe I'm being daft but why this massive spike in everyone suddenly wanting takeaways all the time since lockdown? No way has folk run out of food in the house!!
    It's the weekend and despite the 'Cooking Tips' thread on another forum on here, sometimes folk just want to get someone deliver them a chicken biryani or a Szeuchan chilli beef, made takeaway style.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

There isn’t a massive spike, because so many takeaways have closed the pressure on the small amount in comparison remaining open is massive. The market for a regular weekend takeaway will be the same it’s just that the demand outstrips the outlets available hence the difficulty in certain areas.

There isn’t a massive spike, because so many takeaways have closed the pressure on the small amount in comparison remaining open is massive. The market for a regular weekend takeaway will be the same it’s just that the demand outstrips the outlets available hence the difficulty in certain areas.
    Only ones that have closed around here are 95% of the Chinese takeaways (plus Maccies and KFC which do well with Uber Eats these days). Pizza shops, Indians and most of the chippies open as normal. Sod’s law of course that the only takeaway I’ve fancied for the last week or two is a Chinese!

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Where I am, it is supply not demand, with seated testaurants offering takeaway or deiivery.

I generally choose to dine in Edinburgh but where I live we have a few places that compete at the different levels - fine dining; gastropub; and simple pub grub. At least one has stopped opening and I am not confident for the rest.

In another way they are improvising in a way that might give them a trade on the other side - deivered breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Might be a reconfiguration of eating and buying habits here.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Try just eat. Some places let you pre-order so you can do it earlier in the day and just sit back and wait for your scran to arrive

I'm looking forward to another visit to down the hatch and trying palozzi restaurant when we're free again!!

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    With very little to do at the moment, a wee treat in the form of a take away is something to look forward to for many, especially at the weekend.

If you’re at home with the family then Bon Tea Room in Corstorphine are doing home delivery afternoon tea.

https://m.facebook.com/boncorstorphi...pe=3&source=48

Something different 😀

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    My wife saw a programme on tv the other night, based on Edinburgh

They went to a place just off the Royal Mile. It’s called Wings
    Looks like the sort of place I’d like to go, when this is all over

Anyone been?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post

Anyone been?
    Have been once and had a selection of dry seasoned and wet wings. It was okay but the dishes sounded better than they actually were in my opinion, wouldn’t rush back.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

Anyone been?
    Yes, it's down one of the wee streets between the mile and cowgate. I think it's the one just next to the Fringe shop.

I actually think it went downhill a little bit. The first couple of times I went was great.

Lovely wings with 100+ different flavours and toppings. Some really really good. I'm sure it was £2/£2.5 for a sol too which isn't too bad. A few of the tables downstairs had quirky games on them - we had an old games console with Fifa94.

The last time I went, and this was a while ago now, they had changed chicken supplier. The portion was 3 large chicken wings rather then 6 smaller pieces. It wasn't as tasty.
    Mon the Hibs.

Anyone been?
    I went a couple of years ago. It's fine as far as chicken wings go. Some of the flavours are good, some not so much.

It's not really somewhere for a sit down meal as such. It's messy, it's loud, there are retro games consoles with people playing them and so on. Fine for a quick in and out and the chance to try 3 or 4 different options in one sitting though.

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone

My brother frequently takes my wee nephew, they both love it.

We really need Buffalo Wild Wings franchises to open up over here 👍

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    We really need Buffalo Wild Wings franchises to open up over here
    There's a big French chain called Buffalo Grill (also in Spain & Belgium IIRC) that basically do burgers and a bit of texmex stuff. I'd recommend it to anyone on their travels as in terms of value for money it's hard to beat.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Should be on the cooking thread, but relatively easy to make them yourself.
    I buy packs of wings from Tesco, el cheapo (probably poor conditions for the chooks), about £2.70 for 1Kg. Split the drumettes from the wingettes. dust in seasoned flour (I use salt, cayenne, garlic powder), fry off and rest in in warm oven.
    My wings sauce is a basic buffalo (butter, cider vinegar, hot sauce, paprika/cayenne) but I usually flavour it with honey/maple/tabasco depending on what mood I'm in, then dress the wings in the sauce, serve with wedge salad,,,,bootiful!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Should be on the cooking thread, but relatively easy to make them yourself.
    I buy packs of wings from Tesco, el cheapo (probably poor conditions for the chooks), about £2.70 for 1Kg. Split the drumettes from the wingettes. dust in seasoned flour (I use salt, cayenne, garlic powder), fry off and rest in in warm oven.
    My wings sauce is a basic buffalo (butter, cider vinegar, hot sauce, paprika/cayenne) but I usually flavour it with honey/maple/tabasco depending on what mood I'm in, then dress the wings in the sauce, serve with wedge salad,,,,bootiful!
    Jeez. That sounds good. Deep fry them?

Where are they retailing?

I love Chicken Wings, but I’m not a Nando’s fan. I love HRC classic rock wings, just the best flavour around

Where are they retailing?

I love Chicken Wings, but I’m not a Nando’s fan. I love HRC classic rock wings, just the best flavour around
    I don’t think they have any over here? I’m a regular whenever over in Florida.

I don’t think they have any over here? I’m a regular whenever over in Florida.
    No worries. Great to see this thread still trending

We all used to take dining out for granted...

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Jeez. That sounds good. Deep fry them?
    Yup, deep fried but I just use a wok with a couple of inches of oil in, heat to 180°C, fry in small batches until they have a nice golden colour then in the oven for 10 minutes or so whilst you make the sauce.
    I absolutely love my wings, visit Florida often and enjoy the variety of wing sauces there, it doesn't have to be blow your head off hot.