hibs.net Messageboard

Page 41 of 85 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 2534
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry thought it was a Britannia?
    I think it is but Hilton had it for a while unless I am confused which is entirely possible 😁

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I think it is but Hilton had it for a while unless I am confused which is entirely possible 😁
    It was a Menzies Hotel for a bit too

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    My favourite was the first time a tourist asked me to take them to "Leonardo Murrayfield"

When was the top of Clermiston road ever considered Murrayfield
    It's like those flats that went up on Crewe Road North, ie. Pilton - "North Fettes"

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I wonder why no major group has looked at this hotel and grounds. In a beautiful part of Edinburgh, right on the water of leith
    Wouldn’t be surprised if property developers were looking at it
    Used to go loads in the 80’s

Good question: I worked there when it was newly opened and the hotel manager said that there were a few planning problems that meant they were severely

restricted as to how much of the site they could develop.

The older house across from the hotel still belonged to the original family who had owned the mill site and he had never wanted to sell the land to the hotel.

There was also a ruined and listed building which was the very original mill, which could not be used.

Added to that the frequency of flooding and the very sharp incline from the road down to the water which coaches could not access.

Don't forget the snobbery about a bookies ie Ladbrokes opening a hotel here (!) of all places.

It was very controversial 37 years ago. Seems like yesterday to me!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    My favourite was the first time a tourist asked me to take them to "Leonardo Murrayfield"

When was the top of Clermiston road ever considered Murrayfield
    I know, I had to google it when I was first asked that one.

United we stand here....

Had lunch with friends at the Chinese Manor House in Corstorphine yesterday, food and service were top notch.

Also had lunch in Spatch on Monday, it was good enough for what it is, burgers, ribs, chicken etc.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 15-12-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Was in the Cote Brasserie in Cobham Surrey on Saturday meeting friends, it was actually pretty good for a chain.

Was in the Cote Brasserie in Cobham Surrey on Saturday meeting friends, it was actually pretty good for a chain.

Been to the Edinburgh one a couple of times I agree.

Had lunch with friends at the Chinese Manor House in Corstorphine yesterday, food and service were top notch.

Also had lunch in Spatch on Monday, it was good enough for what it is, burgers, ribs, chicken etc.
    Brilliant “business lunch” deal at Chinese Manor House. Food always really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Brilliant “business lunch” deal at Chinese Manor House. Food always really good.
    Yeah saw that menu it looked great value but we ordered from the Ala Carte menu as we were out for plenty of food and drink 😁

In Divino tonight for the Emilia Romagna Menu with wine pairing option. A work perk.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Taco Manzama on Princes Street has became a frequent lunch spot for me. Their burritos aren't the best, but the haggis quesadilla is very tasty! Washed down with a Jarritos - a Mexican soft drink that must be more sugary than irn bru.

On Mexicans, if a burrito is what you're after the "Taquito" on home street (tollcross) is the best I've came across in Edinburgh.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    In Divino tonight for the Emilia Romagna Menu with wine pairing option. A work perk.

Just looked at their a la carte menu and I was blown away by the prices: £15 for a pasta dish, £25 for a lamb shank, no jokes please.

Pasta food ingredients are as cheap as. Crazy pricing, who buys into this apart from the owners?

Corporate expense accounts perhaps.

I am of Italian origins so have no axe to grind btw.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Just looked at their a la carte menu and I was blown away by the prices: £15 for a pasta dish, £25 for a lamb shank, no jokes please.

Pasta food ingredients are as cheap as. Crazy pricing, who buys into this apart from the owners?

Corporate expense accounts perhaps.

I am of Italian origins so have no axe to grind btw.
    Fine dining experience in a fantastic cellar bar, plenty of folk like it. If you were to compare ingredient prices against restaurant prices and want some correlation between the two you would probably never eat out. I must add that when I say a work perk, I do actually work for the Group that owns it.

I was at Hawksmoor just before Christmas. Steak was fine but at the price I wasn't blow away. I've had better for far less. My bone marrow starter was very decent, steak was, as said, fine and my dessert was awful. Looked and tasted like it had been put together by a kitchen that didn't want to do pastry. 3 courses for me (1 steak), 2 courses for my partner (no steak) and a bottle of wine came in at £75 a head. For that it was disappointing.

Ate at East Coast in Musselburgh at New Year. Food and service were both very good. For 5 of us having 3 courses each, 2 drinks and 6 oysters it came in at just over £35 a head and was far superior.

Booked into Tattu at the end of the month to use some vouchers we got for Christmas. Heard mixed reviews about the food so interested to try it for myself.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Booked into Tattu at the end of the month to use some vouchers we got for Christmas. Heard mixed reviews about the food so interested to try it for myself.

Hands up, I'm not a massive fan of Chinese/Asian cuisine although I will suffer a decent Thai if it's an option.
    I was at Tattu with a mixed group a couple of weeks back, walking in I was blown away, the brand new decor is on point and the ambience is very exciting. The food to my fussy palate was OK, and I'd have been happy with OK but the bill was priced at something considerably better than just OK.
    Hopefully you have a better overall experience than I did.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Hands up, I'm not a massive fan of Chinese/Asian cuisine although I will suffer a decent Thai if it's an option.
    I was at Tattu with a mixed group a couple of weeks back, walking in I was blown away, the brand new decor is on point and the ambience is very exciting. The food to my fussy palate was OK, and I'd have been happy with OK but the bill was priced at something considerably better than just OK.
    Location and service are great. Food is decent, but definitely a little overpriced.

That's the general feedback I've been getting. Decor, feel and service are all great. Food is style over substance.

Tbh if I didn't have the vouchers it's not somewhere I'd rush to go.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    I thought I would give Chop House on Market Street a shot last night. Wish I hadn't. Distinctly average. There are far better places in Edinburgh to get a steak, and I would include a chain like Gaucho or Miller and Carter in that.

Oh, and as someone who loves cooking at home and going out to different restaurants I don't think I've seen anymore mention Aizle on this thread. Best restaurant in Edinburgh IMO.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    I thought I would give Chop House on Market Street a shot last night. Wish I hadn't. Distinctly average. There are far better places in Edinburgh to get a steak, and I would include a chain like Gaucho or Miller and Carter in that.

Oh, and as someone who loves cooking at home and going out to different restaurants I don't think I've seen anymore mention Aizle on this thread. Best restaurant in Edinburgh IMO.
    Aizle is excellent.

The Leith branch of The Chop House is way better than Market Street!

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Aizle is excellent.

The Leith branch of The Chop House is way better than Market Street!
    I’ve heard this said a lot, not sure how that can be the case.

The Leith one is the only one I’ve been to and it really was top notch. That was our first night out after the birth of our daughter, to say my other half enjoyed the steak and a few bevvies would be an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Aizle is excellent.
    Agreed - my favourite 'posh' restaurant in edinburgh, but still very relaxed

I've a pal who's vegetarian. Where's a good place around the southside or Leith Walk?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I've a pal who's vegetarian. Where's a good place around the southside or Leith Walk?
    Most restaurants have decent veggie options these days..Italian or Indians are often particularly good ..

If you want a veggie oriented restaurant...Harmonium in Henderson st is excellent...

David Banns. St Mary’s street

Paradis palms. Lothian street

Kalpna. St Patrick sq. Indian.

All good choices ...

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Most restaurants have decent veggie options these days..Italian or Indians are often particularly good ..

If you want a veggie oriented restaurant...Harmonium in Henderson st is excellent...

David Banns. St Mary’s street

Paradis palms. Lothian street

Kalpna. St Patrick sq. Indian.

All good choices ...
    I’ve been to David Bann a couple of times now, and been disappointed with the food both times.

Been meaning to try Kalpna for ages

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Harmonium is excellent. They are completely vegan friendly so don't use any cleaning chemicals tested on animals and the like. That could be another tick in that box.

Already mentioned but Kalpna is also very good.

Dishoom has a range of good veggie options. Not in the areas specified though.

I've heard good things about Annakut but haven't tried it myself.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Exactly my thoughts. Food was fine, that’s about it. Got 30% off food in January but had it been full price we would have been about £70 a head. I’d have been gutted spending that on it.

At the weekend I went to L’entricote in Barcelona. It has restaurants in quite a few European cities and also NYC. Was lovely.

Gamer IDs

I'm off to Kanpai on Saturday, I love it there. Always enjoy the food.

Has anyone tried Yamato up at Tollcross? Same people who own Kanpai. I've been meaning to try it, but don't want to go somewhere if it's just gonna be the same kinda food but not quite as good as in Kanpai.

I was in Budapest in November, and went for sushi at Nobu over there, was very very good.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I'm off to Kanpai on Saturday, I love it there. Always enjoy the food.

Has anyone tried Yamato up at Tollcross? Same people who own Kanpai. I've been meaning to try it, but don't want to go somewhere if it's just gonna be the same kinda food but not quite as good as in Kanpai.

I was in Budapest in November, and went for sushi at Nobu over there, was very very good.
    I’ve been to Nobu in London and Monaco. It is absolutely excellent although pretty pricey.

It’s actually similar to Tattu imo, just much, much better.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 22-01-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Broughton Bar any good for food?