hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 84 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Had a curry at Agoon Pani on Henderson Street last night. Really good, would thoroughly recommend.

Also new place about to open on George Street called Copper Blossom. It's from the same people that have Amicus Apple/Boozy Cow and is their first venture into a higher end bar and dining arena. Not tried the food or drink yet, mainly because it isn't open, but they have high hopes for it and have spent a lot of money. Will likely be worth a visit.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Large Doner from The Topkapi last night, lamb-tastic, sorry for lowering the tone. :-)

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Large Doner from The Topkapi last night, lamb-tastic, sorry for lowering the tone. :-)
    Chilli Sauce?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Chilli Sauce?
    Aye, nae point otherwise. :-)

Yeah I saw the Red Stripe but not a fan. It's the fact I hate drinking tinned beer.
    Red Stripe is a con. It's funky image has kept it going all these years. It's very average.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Was at orocco pier in south queensferry on sat night, really nice food, quick service and nice staff, drinks were really over priced though, £4.50 for a bottle of water and £6.95 for a small wine

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Filling station on royal mile want £10 for a sandwich, That is ****ing scandelous!

La Piazza again on Saturday couldn't fault it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Has anyone eaten at Chaophraya on the corner of George St/Castle St?
    Been for a lunch there which was very good. Good choice though I can't remember what I had!

@hibs.net private member
    For Italians always find Mama Roma opposite the playhouse a safe bet. Only problem is no draft beer only bottles.

If you are looking for something outside the town

For Indians there are 2 in Dalkeith - Itihaas and Bombay Lounge (Bobby Smith's old pub) which are both excellent.

Quite like the Mercat out in Whitecraig. Limited menu but food always good and they run a minibus for groups. Think you have to pre-book it though.

Sun Inn at Newtongrange is always good and you will soon be able to get the train out!

Like others have found it difficult to find a decent Chinese.

Anybody ever been to The Three Chimneys on Skye? It's top of my "places to eat at" list! We're blessed in Edinburgh to have so many fantastic restaurants, I've got so many still to visit, try and do 5 or 6 properly good ones every year. Kitchins is next up on payday.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Anybody ever been to The Three Chimneys on Skye? It's top of my "places to eat at" list! We're blessed in Edinburgh to have so many fantastic restaurants, I've got so many still to visit, try and do 5 or 6 properly good ones every year. Kitchins is next up on payday.
    Was there last night. Tried the vegetarian tasting menu with paired wines. The drink selection was spot on every time, glad I opted for it and I imagine for many, including me, it's an opportunity to try varieties of wine they wouldn't have otherwise considered.

The dishes were all executed very, very well and some of them (the mushrooms, potato, hen egg in a risotto style; the heritage carrots) were fantastic and would have made a great full course. Pick of the bunch was the tomato consomme though, very complex balance of flavours, it tasted sublime.

With somewhere like the Kitchin the service should be of the highest standard and I couldn't fault it, on what was a very busy Thursday night.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    For Italians always find Mama Roma opposite the playhouse a safe bet. Only problem is no draft beer only bottles.

If you are looking for something outside the town

For Indians there are 2 in Dalkeith - Itihaas and Bombay Lounge (Bobby Smith's old pub) which are both excellent.

Quite like the Mercat out in Whitecraig. Limited menu but food always good and they run a minibus for groups. Think you have to pre-book it though.

Sun Inn at Newtongrange is always good and you will soon be able to get the train out!

Like others have found it difficult to find a decent Chinese.
    I would endorse the two Indians mentioned and also give a thumbs-up to Memories of India, on the A7, a few hundred yards down from the Mining Museum on the other side. Like The Sun it must be reasonably-placed for the train now.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Promising Youngster
    Has anyone been to the mussels and steak bar in the grass market? Thinking of going there for my birthday and trip advisor reviews sound positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajo View Post
    Has anyone been to the mussels and steak bar in the grass market? Thinking of going there for my birthday and trip advisor reviews sound positive!
    I used to go there quite a lot and always enjoyed it. I keep telling myself, my wife my family and my friends we need to get back there!
    Space to let

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I used to go there quite a lot and always enjoyed it. I keep telling myself, my wife my family and my friends we need to get back there!
    Excellent, will give it a bash then! 👍🏼

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Yes, excellent, you also get the option of getting your chips cooked in beef dripping. The fillet steak is excellent. Recommended.

It's very good.

I tend to avoid the Grassmarket as it's a bit too tourist trap but this place was recommended to me, by an English tourist no less, and I wasn't disappointed. As said above you can get chips cooked in dripping and they are fantastic. More chip shops etc should go back to cooking in dripping.

I was in Iris, Thistle Street at the weekend.

I'd say reasonably average until the bill comes ... a bit above average.

Overall not that impressed.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Anyone been to Hotel Du Vin?
    Heard good things about it previously, walked past it yesterday and they're doing a couple of nights where there is a set menu and food is being paired with local gin one night, then local ales another.
    Never really need my arm twisting much when it comes to food AND drink, just wondering if anyone had any good/bad meals there?!?

Doing the Gin Class at 56 North this Sunday, anyone been for the Gin Class? Got the voucher for my birthday.

Blog Entries
    C-shack in newhaven,ribeye and bonemarrow burger,£12.50 or there abouts,was the best ever.
    Steaks and fishy stuff too,but I'll leave them to others 😕

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I desperately wanted to go there when I was in Skye but my girlfriend is a bit fussy and as a result we can never go to top restaurants as every course always involve a things she doesn't want. She only likes chicken and fish, and "the fish always comes with stuff that isn't chips".

Went to zicos recently, it was good. Fantastic service and as Much meat as you desire for 20 quid. The topside beef was amazing, as was the chili pork and the chicken hearts were surprisingly good too.
    Mon the Hibs.

Never eaten at 3 chimneys but many of my guests have and love it. I keep hoping for an invite in but it's never happened

The old school in nearby dunvegan is great
    Last edited by jodjam; 19-09-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Was in China red last night Chesser avenue, Chinese,Japanese,Korean and Thai convierbelt buffet

wasn't bad actually, the seats are round the belt which holds cold stuff on the bottom (sushi,prawns etc) and your more typical hot Chinese,Thai dishes on top, when something you want comes passed your table you open it up and take it, food was good service was much better than any other buffet place I've been in, everything is on small plates so you do go through a lot and they cleared the tables very well so you weren't crowded with empties, drinks weren't too expensive either £2.50 for a Chinese beer £4 for innes&gunn about £2.50 for vodka

all in all probably the better of the buffet places I've been in and I'd definatley go back

Doing the Gin Class at 56 North this Sunday, anyone been for the Gin Class? Got the voucher for my birthday.
    Would recommend this if you are interested in gin,was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Went to Yorokobi by CJ last night in Aberdeen - Japanese & Korean cuisine. Really excellent stuff, fantastic soft shell crab maki and a pot dish with rice, vegetables, shredded beef, red chilli paste and a fried egg as well - would highly recommend.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Had a fabulous Nasi Goreng in Stravaigan Gibson Street Glasgow.

@hibs.net private member
    Had a fabulous Nasi Goreng in Stravaigan Gibson Street Glasgow.
    Probably my favourite bar and food place in Glasgow - run by the guy who owns the "chip" I think. . Great food , good drinks and nice crowd

Vittoria Elm Row last night superb food and service as always.