hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was having a look at the menu again earlier and chances are ill go for a steak next time, keen to try a burger as well though. My girlfreind got a side of fries and a tub of cheese sauce to dip them in which was excellent.

Ive got a trip down to the tempest bar in kelso planned for some time in the future, supposedly do realy good food there as well
    Cobbles? I've heard it's worth a visit but haven't been myself. Would definitely head back to ox184 though, we had a good night in there on friday and the table service was excellent too, the waitress serving us was sound.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Cobbles? I've heard it's worth a visit but haven't been myself. Would definitely head back to ox184 though, we had a good night in there on friday and the table service was excellent too, the waitress serving us was sound.
    Thats the one, couldnt remember the name.

I read earlier ox184 have a 5am liscence for the festival. Will be good for a drink and even better if they keep the kitchen open

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I had a very decent burger in the boozy cow yesterday.
    Good to hear. I run the Aberdeen Boozy Cow and spent about 3 months sampling different burgers produced by our exec chef before finalising the recipe. Tough job!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Good to hear. I run the Aberdeen Boozy Cow and spent about 3 months sampling different burgers produced by our exec chef before finalising the recipe. Tough job!
    Hope you weren't responsible for the crap 330ml beer can selection ;-)

Can anyone recommend a good chinese restaurant??? Taking the wife for her first Chinese with my folks on friday

Quote Originally Posted by TowerHibs View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good chinese restaurant??? Taking the wife for her first Chinese with my folks on friday
    The Edinburgh Rendezvous. Went there about a month or so ago and it was still as good as it was 30 years ago. 7 or 8/10.

Some folk might say the Lune Town or Lune Fung but if you ask me they've been living on their reputation for years!

There's one in the New Town I was at a wee while ago, that Heriot Row area, it was very good but I can't remember the name.

Good Chinese sit ins are very had to come by these days, in my opinion.
    Space to let

I still like the PingOn in Stockbridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The Edinburgh Rendezvous. Went there about a month or so ago and it was still as good as it was 30 years ago. 7 or 8/10.

Some folk might say the Lune Town or Lune Fung but if you ask me they've been living on their reputation for years!

There's one in the New Town I was at a wee while ago, that Heriot Row area, it was very good but I can't remember the name.

Good Chinese sit ins are very had to come by these days, in my opinion.
    Karens unicorn?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I still like the PingOn in Stockbridge.
    we go there every time the inlaws are over. They've been going there since the 70s, they love it. I'm not a huge fan of chinese food but it's easily the best I've had in edinburgh.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    China Town just up from Haymarket is good. Saigon Saigon is also good!

Karens Unicorn is meant to be good also, but I've not personally been!

Was in The Newsroom today for a couple of cocktails and a light lunch. It was very good!

Hay Sushi and Sushiya (by Haymarket) are good sushi (duh) restaurants that I've recently been too also!

Has anyone been to Shezam? Indian restaurant just down from the Omni centre. I'd usually go to Khushis when I fancy an Indian but this place looks good when I pass, seems to boast of awards and I can get 50% off with a taste card!
    Mon the Hibs.

Talking of sushi, soul sushi who are a takeaway throughout the year have a pop up during the festival. Top sushi

Not been for years but, The Kweilin was always worth a visit.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    As a couple of posters have said, the Rendezvous on Queensferry St, or Ping on in Stockbridge are good choices. I haven't got over the closure of the Great Wall on Lothian Rd, was my favourite place to go, think the owners son has the Ping on

Nanyang up in Lister Square is pretty decent for the price. Always busy too.

Thanks all.

I was going to go to the PingOn as haven't been there for years and didn't know if it was still any good. Karen's Unicorn is pricey. I would usually go to Kim's Mini Meals (South Korean) but my parents are a bit fussy. Think we will do the PingOn or the Rendezvous....good chance of a bevy afterwards

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Nanyang up in Lister Square is pretty decent for the price. Always busy too.
    I was there on Saturday night and I thought it was awful! Opinions eh

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    we go there every time the inlaws are over. They've been going there since the 70s, they love it. I'm not a huge fan of chinese food but it's easily the best I've had in edinburgh.
    That's interesting as we were in the Ping On about 5 years ago and it was without doubt the worst Chinese I've ever had! It was deserted, seemed to be stuck in a time warp and the food was dire. Sounds like there's been improvements.

It was great in the late 70s

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    That's interesting as we were in the Ping On about 5 years ago and it was without doubt the worst Chinese I've ever had! It was deserted, seemed to be stuck in a time warp and the food was dire. Sounds like there's been improvements.

It was great in the late 70s
    Still feels stuck in a timewarp but always been busy and good food whenever we've been there.

I was never a huge fan of Chinese preferring Indian but once I had a great Chinese I was hooked. I think the problem was to begin with I ate rubbish Chinese after a bevvy which would seldom be a normal Chinese meal! I was lucky enough to live in a neighbourhood where the local Chinese restaurant/takeaway was full of Chinese etc eating and the food was amazing. Out in the sticks now and not sure what to expect 😞

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Hope you weren't responsible for the crap 330ml beer can selection ;-)
    Some of those cans are magic and we regularly get some rare stuff. We also stock the cheaper big Red Stripe cans of you're not a fan of the craft stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Some of those cans are magic and we regularly get some rare stuff. We also stock the cheaper big Red Stripe cans of you're not a fan of the craft stuff.
    Yeah I saw the Red Stripe but not a fan. It's the fact I hate drinking tinned beer.

Oregano on Leith Walk has moved to bigger premises on other side of road. Wow what a pizza, up there with the best I've ever had and I've tried a few right good ones.10/10

Gamer IDs

Oregano on Leith Walk has moved to bigger premises on other side of road. Wow what a pizza, up there with the best I've ever had and I've tried a few right good ones.10/10
    Where about on the walk?
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Where about on the walk?
    Left hand side as you go down further down than Dalmeny Street. Restaurant is painted green double frontage.

Gamer IDs

Left hand side as you go down further down than Dalmeny Street. Restaurant is painted green double frontage.
    Thanks, will check it out.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    As a couple of posters have said, the Rendezvous on Queensferry St, or Ping on in Stockbridge are good choices. I haven't got over the closure of the Great Wall on Lothian Rd, was my favourite place to go, think the owners son has the Ping on

The Rendezvous has always been excellent if I've been through for rugby internationals (the place is usually hoatching) but we went to the Loon Fung down in Stockbridge the weekend of my *0th birthday last year. Easily the best Chinese I've ever had. Pleasant surroundings, fantastic menu and there wasn't a crumb left at the end (although my lad would have made sure that was the case any time) on anyone's plate.

Just wish such restaurants sold decent beer.

Meant to say regarding the above, the meal at the Loon Fung was on the Friday night and on the Saturday I treated myself and son and daughter to hospitality at ER for the game against Alloa.

In the evening I'd booked 'Samphire' in St Stephens Street. I'd never been before and just found it on-line. I looked at other better known places more central but it seemed to get good reviews and was handy for The Bailie for afters. Seems quite small inside but there were around 25 of us and had the place to ourselves and had a great night. It has an excellent a la carte menu (choosing your wine beforehand), attentive staff and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Blog Entries
    If you're ever down the borders and looking for a good Italian restaurant, try the Montecassino in the old Melrose Railway station. The food is first class, service is very good and the place itself is really nice. The choice is excellent with all the usual dishes but the owner's specials ( something different and out of the ordinary ) are outstanding value at around £11. All the pasta is freshly homemade. The wall is covered in photographs of the owner with famous Italian footballers, managers and other personalities who have eaten there.

If your ever in Peebles call in at Coltmans on the high street. Great food and a decent wine selection, also has a deli and coffee shop area. Kenny the proprietor\chef is a top class chef.

@hibs.net private member goosano's Avatar
    Had lunch at Wedgwood for the second time-2 courses 12.95 and good sized portions. I ate hake brandade, spring onions, shaved fennel and then beef fillet, cauliflower puree, braised red wine lentils, rocket. Some unusual wines on the list and quick efficient service. This place and Michael Neave are current favourites