hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Recent Restaurant Visits Reviews

Amarone in George Street was the venue for my niece's graduation dinner. I wasn't overly impressed, then again I never really expected to be if I'm honest. Lows were;
    Nine out of the ten mains being served together, the tenth person was told "we haven't forgot you,it's just not ready yet" It finally arrived a good seven minutes later very poor practice indeed.

Two pasta dishes supposed be the same were totally different in size and quantity of sauce.

Wouldn't return to be honest, any other recent reviews?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I had Sunday lunch in the Antiquary on St Stephens Street a few weeks back.

Had steak pie and chips and enjoyed it a lot. Home made which is a feat in itself for a lot of pubs, tender meat, rich gravy and crispy chips. Nothing fancy but reasonable and decent.

Also ate in The Bon Vivant on Thistle Street back in early June. Wine list was great if a little pricey. Tried a few things on the menu as it's 'tapas' style. Again enjoyable whilst not being overly exciting. The dressed crab was the highlight, pork belly was nice whilst the duck was chewy, overdone and disappointing.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Also recently dined in:

Miro's Cantina - Rose Street - Excellent 10\10
    Cool Jade - Opposite Zoo - Not bad 7\10
    Peach Garden - Corstorphine - Very Good 8\10
    Mumbai Mansion- Morrison Street - Decent enough 7\10
    La Piazza - Shandwick Place - Very Good 8\10
    Angels Share - West End - Poor 5\10
    Gusto - George Street -Pleasantly Surprised 7.5\10

Foresters Portobello a few weeks back, superb range of beers, vibrant atmosphere and excellent food, decent prices too 9/10

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foresters Portobello a few weeks back, superb range of beers, vibrant atmosphere and excellent food, decent prices too 9/10
    Not sure if he's still there but the chef is a good Hibby :-)

Been a few times never disappointed.

I was in the Mash Tun, Easter Road, the other day with a voucher for all day breakfast and a pint. Been a few times now, its very good for what it is.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

I was in the Mash Tun, Easter Road, the other day with a voucher for all day breakfast and a pint. Been a few times now, its very good for what it is.
    To be honest Jack I didn't see much after sinking a keg load of the superb London Stout 😃 we were planning to visit the Mash Tun for my birthday last year but illness put paid to that, will def pay it a visit at some point 👍

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

The Mash Tun is a great pub IMHO. Nice vibe and cracking food - there is usually an offer on the food as well (i.e. 241 pizzas, curry Tuesdays, steak Wednesdays etc).

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Also recently dined in:

Miro's Cantina - Rose Street - Excellent 10\10
    Cool Jade - Opposite Zoo - Not bad 7\10
    Peach Garden - Corstorphine - Very Good 8\10
    Mumbai Mansion- Morrison Street - Decent enough 7\10
    La Piazza - Shandwick Place - Very Good 8\10
    Angels Share - West End - Poor 5\10
    Gusto - George Street -Pleasantly Surprised 7.5\10
    Love Miro's when I can get a table
    Also use Peach Garden for my Chinese take away, and very rarely disappointed, although it's changed hands a few times recently

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Had steak pie and chips and enjoyed it a lot. Home made which is a feat in itself for a lot of pubs, tender meat, rich gravy and crispy chips. Nothing fancy but reasonable and decent.

Also ate in The Bon Vivant on Thistle Street back in early June. Wine list was great if a little pricey. Tried a few things on the menu as it's 'tapas' style. Again enjoyable whilst not being overly exciting. The dressed crab was the highlight, pork belly was nice whilst the duck was chewy, overdone and disappointing.
    An old favourite of mine, this pub. The antiquary, I mean!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    An old favourite of mine, this pub. The antiquary, I mean!
    Is this the one you go downstairs too?

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Amarone in George Street was the venue for my niece's graduation dinner. I wasn't overly impressed, then again I never really expected to be if I'm honest. Lows were;
    Nine out of the ten mains being served together, the tenth person was told "we haven't forgot you,it's just not ready yet" It finally arrived a good seven minutes later very poor practice indeed.

Two pasta dishes supposed be the same were totally different in size and quantity of sauce.

Wouldn't return to be honest, any other recent reviews?
    I work next to Amarone and share a back entrance with them. I wouldn't go near the place it never looks clean. Also heard they had issues the other week with drains because of the fat they had Ben pouring down the drains.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Suree Thai in Stockbridge is excellent.

Was in Thai Orchid in Glasgow (not the one in Edinburgh which is brilliant), was decent.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    I work next to Amarone and share a back entrance with them. I wouldn't go near the place it never looks clean. Also heard they had issues the other week with drains because of the fat they had Ben pouring down the drains.
    Ben Williams? Sure he didn't just drop it down the drain by mistake?

If anyone is walking up the River Almond from Cramond I can heartily recommend avoiding the cafe at the waterfall.

You should have seen the guys face in front of me when he was charged over £25 for what was essentially 3 snacks and coffees. He wasn't any happier when the small unappealing snacks arrived!

My coffee was a bit pealy wally. If I'd been in Starbucks I'd have taken it back asking if it was proper strength and why's it only half full!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    Suree Thai in Stockbridge is excellent.

Was in Thai Orchid in Glasgow (not the one in Edinburgh which is brilliant), was decent.
    Has anyone eaten at Chaophraya on the corner of George St/Castle St?

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    It has PASS certificate for food hygiene however this was issued following their inspection in September 2011.
    The drains thing can happen inadvertantly with food waste, most places either have grease traps or a dosing system that prevents build up, a problem doesn't necessary mean anything sinister though.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I've got friends who have, and I've only heard good things about it.

Burger Meets Bun - not impressed 5\10
    The Riparian Rooms - Decent enough 7\10
    La Tasca - really enjoyed it,nice change 8\10
    Locanda De Gusti........next has great reviews hope it lives up to them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Just picked up this thread but I have to comment on the bit in bold.

Gravy = water based. Chips = cooked in oil.

The above combination should never be served on the same plate. Oil simply doesn't mix with water.

Maybe it's a Scottish thing, but my mother still eats chips with gravy but it doesn't do it for me. I also don't recall any other international dished that combine water with oil in a dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    Just picked up this thread but I have to comment on the bit in bold.

Gravy = water based. Chips = cooked in oil.

The above combination should never be served on the same plate. Oil simply doesn't mix with water.

Maybe it's a Scottish thing, but my mother still eats chips with gravy but it doesn't do it for me. I also don't recall any other international dished that combine water with oil in a dish.
    Never heard of that before!

Roasted potatoes drizzled with oil and served on a roast dinner with gravy.

Pizza dough made with water and topped with freshly cooked chicken which has been roasted with oil and then sliced

Pasta boiled in water and then cooked with other ingredients in the pan with oil.

Just a couple off the top of my head so don't really get your thinking.

Left by mutual consent!
    Never heard of that before!

Roasted potatoes drizzled with oil and served on a roast dinner with gravy.

Who does this? I certainly don't know of any restaurants that have this on their menu.

Pizza dough made with water and topped with freshly cooked chicken which has been roasted with oil and then sliced.

Not quite water with oil as the water has absorbed into the flour and the chicken has been removed and separated from the oil.

Pasta boiled in water and then cooked with other ingredients in the pan with oil.

See above

Just a couple off the top of my head so don't really get your thinking.
    The point is, water and oil split and it's not a route to go down. A drizzle here and there really doesn't matter a jot, but including them both in quantities on a plate is a recipe for disaster.

Vinegar is where the secret lies as that cuts through the oil and is a flavour enhancer. Water is just water AND DOESN'T MIX WITH OIL

The point is, water and oil split and it's not a route to go down. A drizzle here and there really doesn't matter a jot, but including them both in quantities on a plate is a recipe for disaster.

Vinegar is where the secret lies as that cuts through the oil and is a flavour enhancer. Water is just water AND DOESN'T MIX WITH OIL
    Think you're splitting hairs to be honest with regards to chips being cooked in oil and then removed and served with gravy that is water based! No different to a couple of my examples where cooked in oil/water and removed. Yes potato will of course absorb some of the oil but that's it. In general your water and oil doesn't mix of course is correct but chips and gravy as an example of that is just daft.

And you've never heard of roast potatoes being drizzled with oil while they're cooking!

Left by mutual consent!
    Think you're splitting hairs to be honest with regards to chips being cooked in oil and then removed and served with gravy that is water based! No different to a couple of my examples where cooked in oil/water and removed. Yes potato will of course absorb some of the oil but that's it. In general your water and oil doesn't mix of course is correct but chips and gravy as an example of that is just daft.

And you've never heard of roast potatoes being drizzled with oil while they're cooking!
    Scouse, not for the first time, let's agree to disagree on the matter.

The examples you used include emulsifiers that absorb the water allowing oil to be added at the end without sparking with the water molecules. As a rule, water and oil don't mix and should never be included on the same plate...at least that was what I was taught.

If you're happy with chips and gravy then crack-on. It's never been part of my diet and never will be (although chips with curry sauce is rather yummy after a session on the ale).

You know the science as well as I do.

Scouse, not for the first time, let's agree to disagree on the matter.

The examples you used include emulsifiers that absorb the water allowing oil to be added at the end without sparking with the water molecules. As a rule, water and oil don't mix and should never be included on the same plate...at least that was what I was taught.

If you're happy with chips and gravy then crack-on. It's never been part of my diet and never will be (although chips with curry sauce is rather yummy after a session on the ale).

You know the science as well as I do.

Fair enough mate not looking for an argument just a healthy informative question and answer session;-)

Agree with the curry sauce and wish I could go back to the beef dripping for my chips that my Dad used to make by rendering beef fat for selling in his butchers shop back in the 70's.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I'm with Sergey on this and I've never been keen on chips with gravy for that reason. There are many examples of boiled stuff being cooked in oil (eg. risottos and any fried rice dish) but a mixture of fried and 'boiled' (for want of a better word) stuff on a plate rarely makes a "whole".
    For example, if you eat boiled rice with a curry, you always get the impression that the rice hasn't been drained properly.

Left by mutual consent!
    Fair enough mate not looking for an argument just a healthy informative question and answer session;-)

Agree with the curry sauce and wish I could go back to the beef dripping for my chips that my Dad used to make by rendering beef fat for selling in his butchers shop back in the 70's.
    The best fish and chips are (or were) cooked in beef dripping as this has the highest melting point of all cooking fats. If you drop battered fish into a cauldron of beef dripping, the the batter will seal immediately and the fish will steam within the batter, Veg oil has a lower melting point to beef dripping and the oil will seep through the batter and mar and taint the fish.

H&S and public perceptions have pretty much scuppered dripping as a cooking medium, for all the wrong reasons (IMHO).

I still love using dripping and lard...but never with water

Blog Entries
    Thread hijack alert! I thought this thread was about recent dining-out experiences. not the dubious opinions of amateur gourmets. On that note, I can thoroughly recommend a nice wee Italian restaurant, Lamora, at the west end of Argyle St. in Glasgow. Cracking choice of excellent scran at modest prices on their pre-theatre menu. The main A La Carte menu had some terrific choices which, if the quality of the 'cheap' menu was anything to go by, looked really tempting. A glance out the window saw Alan McGregor going into a restaurant opposite, called Thai Siam. A quick google described this as one of the best Thai restaurants in Glasgow. Next door to that was an unbelievably busy Ice Cream/Doughnut Bar called Big Licks, which apparently is attracting big hype reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I was there last week and would give it 8/10. Similar to earlier reply I've yet to hear any negative comments about the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    For example, if you eat boiled rice with a curry, you always get the impression that the rice hasn't been drained properly.
    boiled rice always felt wrong with curry and now I know why.

@hibs.net private member goosano's Avatar
    I've been 3 times to Michael Neave Kitchen and Whisky Bar and have been hugely impressed. Twice for lunch and it is an absolute steal at £7.99 for 3 courses and coffee. Mussels and pheasant last time. You have to book well in advance as it is always full.

I went in the evening for my daughters 21st and the cooking was great. Best lamb I've had for ages. Very accommodating for the coeliac in the party. About £40 per head with wine but well worth it. highly recommended