hibs.net Messageboard

Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2534
    @hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The whole Indian restaurant scene in Edinburgh is quite fascinating. I deal with a lot of them in work, including almost all of the St Johns Road/Corstorphine crew, and so many of them are interconnected in some way, either through family or extended friendship networks. It's an annual occurrence that some of the restaurants nominally have 'new owners' who happen to be the cousin or brother of the previous owners and have links to another restaurant. Coincidentally they almost always keep the previous owners on in a management capacity The vast majority of the owners and staff tend to be Bangladeshi with a smattering of Pakistani owned restaurants. The number of Indian restaurants owned by Indians is probably single figures in Edinburgh, those that are tend to be from either West Bengal or Punjab and have strong links to the neighbouring countries of Bangladesh and Pakistan respectively.

It's a good community to get into from a business perspective because when your face is known and you are trusted then they will be loyal to you and will recommend you to others. On the flip side it can be a nightmare to quote for new product or agree price increases because you can guarantee that they will know exactly what the guy next door and the guy at the other side of the city is paying. There's also a strong emphasis on verbal contracts and gentlemans agreements. I remember years ago telling one owner a new pass through dishwasher would be 'about £4000' but I would have to quote formally; when I presented a quote for closer to £4500 he got very upset and accused me of double crossing him, it was months before he dealt with me again. The best part of dealing with a number of Indian restaurants is the food. I always try to schedule meetings for about 3pm. The lunch service is done and you quite often find a wife bustling about the kitchen cooking food that they actually eat and it's always amazing. Kabuli Puloa, Haleem and Dowdo are particular favourites. They also use a lot of mutton that adds a great depth. I've asked for some of these dishes when I have been out for dinner before and they are usually only too happy to accommodate and show off authentic cuisine.
    In my early days in catering I started at Prestonfield House which hosted the annual Curry Ball organised by Tommy Miah.

He would bring a couple of guys in from his restaurants to get the food ready and Prestonfield would provide a commis or 2 to help out. I was chosen one year and was enjoying watching them prepare all the food when 1 of them says to me we will have a break and would I like a bite to eat?

Thinking I would just get a bowl of the curries they were making i gladly said yeah!

He then started to cook something from scratch, to this day I have no idea what he called it but it was delicious! Probably still the best Indian meal I've ever had
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    The whole Indian restaurant scene in Edinburgh is quite fascinating. I deal with a lot of them in work, including almost all of the St Johns Road/Corstorphine crew, and so many of them are interconnected in some way, either through family or extended friendship networks. It's an annual occurrence that some of the restaurants nominally have 'new owners' who happen to be the cousin or brother of the previous owners and have links to another restaurant. Coincidentally they almost always keep the previous owners on in a management capacity The vast majority of the owners and staff tend to be Bangladeshi with a smattering of Pakistani owned restaurants. The number of Indian restaurants owned by Indians is probably single figures in Edinburgh, those that are tend to be from either West Bengal or Punjab and have strong links to the neighbouring countries of Bangladesh and Pakistan respectively.

It's a good community to get into from a business perspective because when your face is known and you are trusted then they will be loyal to you and will recommend you to others. On the flip side it can be a nightmare to quote for new product or agree price increases because you can guarantee that they will know exactly what the guy next door and the guy at the other side of the city is paying. There's also a strong emphasis on verbal contracts and gentlemans agreements. I remember years ago telling one owner a new pass through dishwasher would be 'about £4000' but I would have to quote formally; when I presented a quote for closer to £4500 he got very upset and accused me of double crossing him, it was months before he dealt with me again. The best part of dealing with a number of Indian restaurants is the food. I always try to schedule meetings for about 3pm. The lunch service is done and you quite often find a wife bustling about the kitchen cooking food that they actually eat and it's always amazing. Kabuli Puloa, Haleem and Dowdo are particular favourites. They also use a lot of mutton that adds a great depth. I've asked for some of these dishes when I have been out for dinner before and they are usually only too happy to accommodate and show off authentic cuisine.
    I used to deal with a few of them too and each time was like groundhog day.

They invariably set impossible timescales and want everything yesterday. When you explain that it's not possible they blame you.
    They barter over everything. If you want £800 you have to start off at £1k and give them the pleasure of knocking the price down.
    They're very selective about what they remember and/or understand. If something doesn't suit them they'll try to blank it.
    You have to be very careful when they ask you about business that you're doing or have done with other restaurants. You never know whether they're just being nosey or if they're checking to see if you have a big gob and can/can't be trusted.
    Don't be frightened to straight talk them - they'll respect you for it.

All of the above is part of the "game" they play. It might look like I'm generalising or even being racist but I'm not. It's a cultural thing and once you understand and accept it then you'll get on fine.

Finally, if you treat them with the respect that you expect in return and do your job properly then you'll have a client/friend for life. Well worth it if only for the freeby food that they'll happily share with you.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Restaurant communities of same nationalities is certainly a huge network of inter connected families and distant relations. It certainly doesn’t take long to learn of information from across the city and further.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    <snip>
    It's an annual occurrence that some of the restaurants nominally have 'new owners' who happen to be the cousin or brother of the previous owners and have links to another restaurant. Coincidentally they almost always keep the previous owners on in a management capacity
    <snip>
    What's the reasoning for this, you'd think a business would thrive better with continuity?
    I know this happened with a small family owned business in the Stenhouse area but that was purely to avoid paying certain running costs of a business,,,, not sustainable in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    What's the reasoning for this, you'd think a business would thrive better with continuity?
    I know this happened with a small family owned business in the Stenhouse area but that was purely to avoid paying certain running costs of a business,,,, not sustainable in the long run.
    You’ve nailed it 😉

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I think this is exactly why 'Abida' still exists for deliveries :agree

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brewhemia have extended their 50% off the total bill deal until the end of October. It really is a great deal and they have the place running like clockwork with regards the safety and hygiene measures required.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Had lunch in the Hawes Inn today at South Queensferry, was very good, in fact better than I expected. £144 for four of us all having three courses, 6 pints and 4 G&T’s. Would recommend and visit again.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Had lunch in the Hawes Inn today at South Queensferry, was very good, in fact better than I expected. £144 for four of us all having three courses, 6 pints and 4 G&T’s. Would recommend and visit again.
    Thought these were restaurant reviews, rather than how may G&T’s and pints you can throw down your neck😄
    Who needs 6 pints each at lunch anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Thought these were restaurant reviews, rather than how may G&T’s and pints you can throw down your neck😄
    Who needs 6 pints each at lunch anyway
    It was three pints each and the ladies were on the gin, I was giving a bit of context as to the price/ value. However I will kindly refrain from mentioning alcoholic beverages in any future reviews 😁

I used to go to the Hawes a lot years ago because of the location. I went again about ten years ago and the food was terrible, sticky dirty tables and slow service, so I’m glad they’ve got their act together.

It was three pints each and the ladies were on the gin, I was giving a bit of context as to the price/ value. However I will kindly refrain from mentioning alcoholic beverages in any future reviews 😁
    Thank you😄
    I went local last night, had a shandy in the Torfin’s secret garden, and then popped into the Toby Carvery. Think it’s the 1st time I’ve been in since January
    The Chef serves you now, rather than do it yourself. Food was piping hot, as that’s not always the case at the Carvery. I’ve a thing for roast potatoes, but when the Chef is serving you, you feel you can’t ask for too many

Thank you😄
    I went local last night, had a shandy in the Torfin’s secret garden, and then popped into the Toby Carvery. Think it’s the 1st time I’ve been in since January
    The Chef serves you now, rather than do it yourself. Food was piping hot, as that’s not always the case at the Carvery. I’ve a thing for roast potatoes, but when the Chef is serving you, you feel you can’t ask for too many
    Not interested in where you had a shandy, stick to food please.

@hibs.net private member
    Not interested in where you had a shandy, stick to food please.

Food and drink go together, it is part of the dining experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    😁 You need to read the previous posts for some context.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 16-09-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Of course they do, but SH tells what he’s drinking, and not what he ate😄

Anyway, anywhere else in the Corstorphine/ west of the city recommended for food. Not Indian or Chinese

[QUOTE=Billy Whizz;6300366]Of course they do, but SH tells what he’s drinking, and not what he ate😄

Anyway, anywhere else in the Corstorphine/ west of the city recommended for food. Not Indian or Chinese[/QUOTE

I see Dine are opening a Brasserie in Roseburn just along from the launderette. Also the new pizza place at Drumbrae Roundabout is pretty decent if you like that type of place.

[QUOTE=Scouse Hibee;6300374]
    Of course they do, but SH tells what he’s drinking, and not what he ate😄

Anyway, anywhere else in the Corstorphine/ west of the city recommended for food. Not Indian or Chinese[/QUOTE

I see Dine are opening a Brasserie in Roseburn just along from the launderette. Also the new pizza place at Drumbrae Roundabout is pretty decent if you like that type of place.
    Ta, Is that the one called Napoli?

[QUOTE=Billy Whizz;6300378]

Ta, Is that the one called Napoli?
    Yeah

😁 You need to read the previous posts for some context.
    Well I found it funny.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Visited Prana(Corstorphine) last night and whilst the food was excellent, I was actually more impressed with the drinks!
    Don't get me wrong, the recently renovated restaurant has put a lot of effort in to their new menu, and whilst it has become a little limited due to its simplified nature, the offerings are wide and diverse.
    The monkfish starter was brilliant and the chicken jalfrezi was hot but not overly so, and had a pleasant tangy-ness, but the drinks!!!
    We had a few between us, Mrs SG loved the Bellini but I was blown away by the whisky sour. Indian whiskey laced with cardamom bitters, oooft, so good I had two!
    The restaurant isn't the traditional Indian where you might go with the lads after a few pints, but I'll definitely be back with the good lady and mixed company next time I need an uprated Indian.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Visited Prana(Corstorphine) last night and whilst the food was excellent, I was actually more impressed with the drinks!
    Don't get me wrong, the recently renovated restaurant has put a lot of effort in to their new menu, and whilst it has become a little limited due to its simplified nature, the offerings are wide and diverse.
    The monkfish starter was brilliant and the chicken jalfrezi was hot but not overly so, and had a pleasant tangy-ness, but the drinks!!!
    We had a few between us, Mrs SG loved the Bellini but I was blown away by the whisky sour. Indian whiskey laced with cardamom bitters, oooft, so good I had two!
    The restaurant isn't the traditional Indian where you might go with the lads after a few pints, but I'll definitely be back with the good lady and mixed company next time I need an uprated Indian.
    I had the whisky sour too one of the times I went there. It was ace as was the garam masala espresso martini!

I was at Passorn last week on Brougham Place and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would recommend as a nice alternative to Chaophraya for anyone who likes Thai food.

I was at Tattu again last night.

Pretty much reaffirmed my view after my 1st visit. Setting lovely, service excellent, food so so.

Had I not had a voucher I probably wouldn't have went a 2nd time and I doubt there will be a 3rd visit.

Going to New Chapter in Eyre Place on Monday for lunch, anyone on here been?

Yes, it's excellent.

I had sea bream with squid and chorizo and it was absolutely outstanding.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Yes, it's excellent.

I had sea bream with squid and chorizo and it was absolutely outstanding.
    👍 Cheers.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’ve been a couple of times. Once soon after it opened and once post-lockdown. Excellent on both occasions and one of the better places in terms of social distancing measures.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I’ve been a couple of times. Once soon after it opened and once post-lockdown. Excellent on both occasions and one of the better places in terms of social distancing measures.
    Cheers, good to hear.

@hibs.net private member
    Any recommendations for lunch in the city centre? Quirky would be good, but not essential as long as the ambience (and food!) good. Meeting old friends for the first time since lockdown - they were coming to stay, but today's announcement has knocked that on the head, so we're meeting up in Edinburgh instead.