hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vittoria Elm Row last night superb food and service as always.
    Yes never disappointed at any of the five owned by Tony Crolla.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    La Garrigue, on Jeffrey Street, on Thursday.

Probably my favourite French restaurant in Edinburgh. There were several options for every course I would have been happy going with. The ones we did go for were prepared and presented very well. Great food and wines from the owner/chef's home region of Languedoc.

Given the quality of what's on the menu and the wine list I think it's tremendous value for money.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

First Team Breakthrough MJN1875's Avatar
    Charnwood in Buxton and dantes in Colinton, both 10/10

The Table on Dundas Street.

Not long opened and it's utterly superb. It's a nice concept, 10 covers at 1 table with the chef presenting each course, it's a set tasting menu.

I think Edinburgh has it's next Michelin Star in waiting. The chef trained with amongst others Martin Wishart, Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Garlando and Adriano Cavagnini. He also happens to be a really nice guy into the bargain. I went a couple of weeks back as I was involved in supplying him a lot of his crockery and glassware and was intrigued at the concept. I wasn't disappointed and Tripadvisor seems to agree as it's shot straight to number 1 in the reviews.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Not long opened and it's utterly superb. It's a nice concept, 10 covers at 1 table with the chef presenting each course, it's a set tasting menu.

I think Edinburgh has it's next Michelin Star in waiting. The chef trained with amongst others Martin Wishart, Gordon Ramsay, Anthony Garlando and Adriano Cavagnini. He also happens to be a really nice guy into the bargain. I went a couple of weeks back as I was involved in supplying him a lot of his crockery and glassware and was intrigued at the concept. I wasn't disappointed and Tripadvisor seems to agree as it's shot straight to number 1 in the reviews.
    Glad to see someone appreciating it, Sean is a pal of mine so thought I was maybe being a bit biased towards the place as it's genuinely one of the best places I've eaten

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

I'd never heard of The Table until Friday last week, received an email from TripAdvisor with a link to their "10 best restaurants in Edinburgh", and The Table was number 1.

Now I'm trying to organise a time to go, looks excellent.

The Riparian Rooms was our choice for the weekend for a table of 6.

The service was slow to start with and didn't get any quicker!

The starters were good and I thought things were looking up. The mussels and the tempura crab were excellent as were the other selections. The 'special', sirloin steak which 2 of us had were far from special but the others who had a various other dishes were happy enough. Only two of us ordered sweet, the sticky toffee pudding would have been sent back but the waitress never came near enough to catch her attention, which she apologised for later, much later!

Not the best experience for £200!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

The starters were good and I thought things were looking up. The mussels and the tempura crab were excellent as were the other selections. The 'special', sirloin steak which 2 of us had were far from special but the others who had a various other dishes were happy enough. Only two of us ordered sweet, the sticky toffee pudding would have been sent back but the waitress never came near enough to catch her attention, which she apologised for later, much later!

I live close by and it never seems that busy. I've only had a drink there but my wife has eaten there a couple of times and said it was only OK.

I went to Maison Bleue Restaurant, opposite the Bow Bar, Victoria Street, with 3 buddies for lunch last week.

Seemed to be the owner and his partner in attendance looking after everyone. In my opinion they seemed a little precious! Don't ask me what that means.

If you buy 2 mains off the lunch menu, £15 or so for 2 courses, you get one free, effectively a tenner off.

We all had the very succulent mussels, the best I've had for some considerable time. It was a good choice.

I had beef cheeks, a couple of the guys had the fish dish, I can't remember what the fourth had but we all agreed we had all made excellent choices.

The other 3 had coffees, they could have been poured by a spirit measure into tiny wee cups! I canny be doing with that, my ample nose needs to get in the mug lol. They were delighted though and more back slapping they'd made a great choice!

2 bottles of wine, 3 bottles of cider, great value at £120 which included a handsome tip!

We then went to the pub till around 10pm, bloody good day!
    Last edited by Jack; 26-10-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Anyone been to Leith Chop House yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Been in quite a few times for lunch and always found it pretty good, was going to give it a try one evening soon but maybe not now

Anyone been to Leith Chop House yet?
    Not yet but heard good things and it's on the list.

I'm off to Devils Advocate on Wednesday, been in for drinks before but never food, will post up my thoughts.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Just been to Queens Spice in South Queensferry and can highly recommend it. Good size portions and very tasty food.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

First Team Breakthrough
    Does anyone know of any good vegetarian restaurants in Glasgow?

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBru22 View Post
    Does anyone know of any good vegetarian restaurants in Glasgow?
    Mono in the Merchant City always got a good name. Not sure if it's still on the go though.

Need somewhere for a bit of a late lunch in Edinburgh next Saturday. Needs to be child-friendly (albeit a well behaved 8 year old with an appetite like his dad!) and within walking distance of Waverley. Not TOO expensive. Soccer Saturday preferred but not essential. Go.

First Team Breakthrough
    Mono in the Merchant City always got a good name. Not sure if it's still on the go though.
    Cheers, i'll check it out. Anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I desperately wanted to go there when I was in Skye but my girlfriend is a bit fussy and as a result we can never go to top restaurants as every course always involve a things she doesn't want. She only likes chicken and fish, and "the fish always comes with stuff that isn't chips".

Went to zicos recently, it was good. Fantastic service and as Much meat as you desire for 20 quid. The topside beef was amazing, as was the chili pork and the chicken hearts were surprisingly good too.
    You have my sincerest condolences. Must take the patience of a Buddha to not want to just force feed her steak, pepper sauce and chips and go "there, that wasn't so bad was it!!"

Last time I was home I went for a curry in a place a couple of doors down from The Ventoux Pub. Name escapes me but it was good, a decent range of regional dishes that went beyond the Korma/Jalfrezi/Bhuna triumvate (though they had them as well)

Had a blast from the past at Guru(Guru Balti in the old days) still great food and the biggest nans ever!

Must still be pretty popular as it was packed and the amount of deliveries going out was unbelievable.

Had a blast from the past at Guru(Guru Balti in the old days) still great food and the biggest nans ever!

Must still be pretty popular as it was packed and the amount of deliveries going out was unbelievable.
    Aye was there Friday, no alcohol on sale!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Aye was there Friday, no alcohol on sale!!!
    I know! Wife wasn't chuffed!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Need somewhere for a bit of a late lunch in Edinburgh next Saturday. Needs to be child-friendly (albeit a well behaved 8 year old with an appetite like his dad!) and within walking distance of Waverley. Not TOO expensive. Soccer Saturday preferred but not essential. Go.
    The Omni at the top of Leith Walk has a few places, Slug and Lettuce, La Tasca etc that are reasonable and family friendly
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Nonna's Kitchen in Morningside - nice but pricey. They do the main pasta dishes as starters so I had a pasta with cream, mushrooms and Italian sausage. Was tasty but the sausage was the thinnest slices of sausage you have seen, difficult to tell what was slice of mushroom or a slice of sausage. The wife had bread and olives which she said was nice. I had veal for my main which was something I rarely eat, was nice but as I have rarely had veal I am not sure what to compare it against. My wife had king prawn linguine which again looked good and the prawns were nice and large.

No room for desert but they had a good selection.

The list of specials is extensive but as the waiter reeled them off you had forgotten what he has said 2 minutes ago.

Bill with a pint of Peroni and a G&T was just short of £65. It was mobbed though so must be very popular.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Was at al dente on easter road last week with my mum. First time I've been there in over 5 years. I liked what they've done with the decor in that time and the staff were really friendly and welcoming. Both had steak but in 2 different sauces. Was really good and well accompanied by a glass of Italian red. Fully recommend a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Was at al dente on easter road last week with my mum. First time I've been there in over 5 years. I liked what they've done with the decor in that time and the staff were really friendly and welcoming. Both had steak but in 2 different sauces. Was really good and well accompanied by a glass of Italian red. Fully recommend a visit.
    Is that the wee former Italian family owned place on the bridge ?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Is that the wee former Italian family owned place on the bridge ?
    Aye. Doesn't do pizzas and the pastas and other dishes they do seem to be ones that would be less well known here I think. Really enjoyable and as I said the staff were fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Aye. Doesn't do pizzas and the pastas and other dishes they do seem to be ones that would be less well known here I think. Really enjoyable and as I said the staff were fantastic.
    Good stuff mate cheers, Wife mentioned the place a while back but wasn't sure if it the wee Italian joint 👍🏻

I know! Wife wasn't chuffed!
    Neither were the eight of us! Fortunately off licence was close.:-)

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    Heading to one square at the Sheraton in festival square. I went to Le escargot bleu on broughton street last month. Fantastic cosy little French restaurant, really worth checking out.

Hope to visit Purslane in Stockbridge and Onedine in the next few weeks.

bit different seen as its a fast food place but was at wannaburger and its went downhill so much its unbelievable. hadnt been in around a year and since then its went from quality fast food burgers to to being inedible. Clearly trying to do things the cheap now as the burgers are now near enough a peely white colour and taste rank, cant be much real meat content in them at all