hibs.net Messageboard

Page 32 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hanny0762
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just read a very good review of the Little Chartroom, on Albert Place, in The Guardian.

Has anyone been?
    I went with my aunt for her birthday. Couldn't fault it, great place. Well worth the money.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    I went with my aunt for her birthday. Couldn't fault it, great place. Well worth the money.
    Cheers

Might pencil it in for lunch prior to a home game.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Had quite a busy festive period this year with dinners out, went to a few nice places that I would recommend.

The ivy - really, really good. 10/10 service to go with the quality food.

Usquabe - £40 for 3 courses with matched whiskies provided good value for money and the portions on their Christmas menu were very genery.

Berties - was a little underwhelmed if I'm honest but if I was in town and fancied fish and chips then I'd go back thanks to the 20% off.

Sabor Criollo - South American/Venezuelan restaurant in stockbridge. I couldn't tell too much difference from Mexican but it was good.

Hotel Du Vin - very nice food, and a nice venue as well with a lot of nice rooms for a drink afterwards.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Had quite a busy festive period this year with dinners out, went to a few nice places that I would recommend.

The ivy - really, really good. 10/10 service to go with the quality food.

Usquabe - £40 for 3 courses with matched whiskies provided good value for money and the portions on their Christmas menu were very genery.

Berties - was a little underwhelmed if I'm honest but if I was in town and fancied fish and chips then I'd go back thanks to the 20% off.

Sabor Criollo - South American/Venezuelan restaurant in stockbridge. I couldn't tell too much difference from Mexican but it was good.

Hotel Du Vin - very nice food, and a nice venue as well with a lot of nice rooms for a drink afterwards.
    Is Sabor Criollo the one downstairs on the corner of Leslie Place? Always fancied trying there.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Is Sabor Criollo the one downstairs on the corner of Leslie Place? Always fancied trying there.
    That's the one.

I'd been intending to go for a while also, but every time I went passed it looked shut (I think it closes between lunch and dinner and I'd just been unlucky). I had the pabellon criollo (shredded beef) which is apparently a fairly authentic Venezuelan meal which was good.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    That's the one.

I'd been intending to go for a while also, but every time I went passed it looked shut (I think it closes between lunch and dinner and I'd just been unlucky). I had the pabellon criollo (shredded beef) which is apparently a fairly authentic Venezuelan meal which was good.
    That’s the same reason I’ve never been, never looks open. Will give it a go

Left by mutual consent!
    Last restaurant visit I made was to Franco's in Carlisle a few weeks ago. We were all very impressed with the setting, welcome, food and service. Italian food done extremely well. If ever staying in Carlisle I'd highly recommend.

Topolabamba, mexican place on lothian rd. It's a bit like El Cartel menu wise. Maybe not quite as good but not much in it. Advantage that it takes bookings though.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Topolabamba, mexican place on lothian rd. It's a bit like El Cartel menu wise. Maybe not quite as good but not much in it. Advantage that it takes bookings though.
    I went to Topolabamba a few months ago and thought it was poor. In its defence I had an absolutely stinking hangover.

Love El Cartel though.

I went to Topolabamba a few months ago and thought it was poor. In its defence I had an absolutely stinking hangover.

Love El Cartel though.
    I love El Cartel too, been several times and everything has been excellent. Topolabamba has more choice but you maybe need to be a wee bit more careful what you pick. Good backup if you need to book ahead though.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Went to Frizzante in Lothian Road before the panto last week, really enjoyed it. We stuck to the pre theatre menu which was £15.95 for 2 courses with a decent amount of items to choose from. Would definitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Went to Frizzante in Lothian Road before the panto last week, really enjoyed it. We stuck to the pre theatre menu which was £15.95 for 2 courses with a decent amount of items to choose from. Would definitely recommend.
    Is that the one that used to be ‘Lazios’?

Went to Ondine on Hogmanay. Seafood heavy menu and all absolutely delicious. Not cheap mind. Lost my oyster cherry and as such am 10% more refined and knowledgeable as a result.

Miro's cantina the other week, solid 8/10 for nachos to start and tacos as a main.

Moza in Glasgow also. Been a couple times now and it's my favourite place for Pizza. All pizzas a fiver before 5pm is excellent too.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Miro's cantina the other week, solid 8/10 for nachos to start and tacos as a main.

Moza in Glasgow also. Been a couple times now and it's my favourite place for Pizza. All pizzas a fiver before 5pm is excellent too.
    Cannae beat Paesano for Pizza in Glasgow

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Civerino’s in Edinburgh.

Left by mutual consent!
    Three favourite places would be:

Rhubarb Restaurant at Prestonfield House Hotel- expensive but a fantastic experience especially for special occasions.

Passorn (Brougham Place)- just a small restaurant and will need to book in advance especially for weekends but the food is fantastic quality.

Forage & Chatter (Alva St)- haven’t seen this mentioned on here but would highly recommend, great service, great wine list, great food and lovely atmosphere. Would need to book at least a week or more in advance

Do like that place too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Three favourite places would be:

Rhubarb Restaurant at Prestonfield House Hotel- expensive but a fantastic experience especially for special occasions.

Passorn (Brougham Place)- just a small restaurant and will need to book in advance especially for weekends but the food is fantastic quality.

Forage & Chatter (Alva St)- haven’t seen this mentioned on here but would highly recommend, great service, great wine list, great food and lovely atmosphere. Would need to book at least a week or more in advance
    Passion looks very good. Been added to the list to try.

Have you tried Clark and lake in that area? More a tapas style menu but looks very good.

Do like that place too.
    Paesano and Moza are both class. Pizza punks just round the corner from Moza however is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Been meaning to try here for ages but always forget it exists.

Left by mutual consent!
    Passion looks very good. Been added to the list to try.

Have you tried Clark and lake in that area? More a tapas style menu but looks very good.
    I haven’t tried that yet, will need to take a look 👍

Left by mutual consent!
    Been meaning to try here for ages but always forget it exists.
    Would definitely recommend 👍

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I'll put some shouts in for Borders restaurants, particularly Jedburgh.

The Capon Tree is really, really good. The chef works the kitchen and his wife does front-of-house. They have a French sommelier and she seems to know her stuff, plus the wife/co-owner I believe has just completed her sommelier qualifications.

The food is fine and the wine list is very good. They do occasional tasting menu evenings and and are generous with the matching wines and the portions.

Not many places in the Borders offer a Gruner Veltliner and you would easily pay an extra tenner on it at least if you were in Edinburgh.

On a slightly different scale is the Belters Bar or Forresters Arms - it seems to go by both names. Their speciality is burgers but very much cuisine burgers. They offer around forty versions but all seem to be high-quality fresh mince, whether beef, venison, pork or whatever and all cooked to order with all the sides you would expect, in various flavours. The service is great, couldn't be friendlier, and the prices are bordering on ridiculously cheap if you are used to Edinburgh. They also do craft beers, I think on a rotational basis - I've had a few different ones though not been back in for a while.

Good chippy as well, just across the road from Jedburgh Abbey. They cook their fish suppers to order, so you have to wait a little while but the bonus is you get a very freshly-fried supper, and should you choose, there are tables outside to eat it, across from a 12th century abbey.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 20-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

locanda de gusti - had a sort of Neapolitan variation of carbonara to start. was much cheesier though with smoked mozzarella through it and diced potatoes. was excellent and the highlight of the meal. Chicken as main was also good. came with a realy nice light gravy and pretty basic roasted potatoes and vegetables. The affogato to finish was disappointing. poor quality ice cream which had some fairly large ice crystals in it.

Saboteur - I've seen this mentioned on here before as being good, and completely agree. Foods as good as ting thai, and the layout with individual tables is much better that the crammed communal style a couple doors away. From a selfish point of viewing im hoping it remains popular enough to stay open, but nowhere near the extent to which ting thai is. was about half full when I was in, and has already seemed fairly empty other times id passed. Was my first time having vietnamesse. Had the yellow curry and really liked the lighter sauce in large quantities to dump the rice in.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    locanda de gusti - had a sort of Neapolitan variation of carbonara to start. was much cheesier though with smoked mozzarella through it and diced potatoes. was excellent and the highlight of the meal. Chicken as main was also good. came with a realy nice light gravy and pretty basic roasted potatoes and vegetables. The affogato to finish was disappointing. poor quality ice cream which had some fairly large ice crystals in it.

Saboteur - I've seen this mentioned on here before as being good, and completely agree. Foods as good as ting thai, and the layout with individual tables is much better that the crammed communal style a couple doors away. From a selfish point of viewing im hoping it remains popular enough to stay open, but nowhere near the extent to which ting thai is. was about half full when I was in, and has already seemed fairly empty other times id passed. Was my first time having vietnamesse. Had the yellow curry and really liked the lighter sauce in large quantities to dump the rice in.
    At Sabateur - try the Sea Bass dish. It’s really good.

At Sabateur - try the Sea Bass dish. It’s really good.
    Will have a look at that next time. Plenty options on the menu sounded like they would be good.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Looking for some opinions. What’s the best burger joint in Edinburgh and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    The Jones and son pop up at century general store at abbeyhill. Only do Fri and sat evenings unfortunately. They do a copy of a big Mac that is very good.

Interested to hear other people's suggestions too as Edinburgh seems pretty ***** for burgers. Didn't like bread meets bread, burgers and beers, and boozy cow went from very good to brutal.

Salt horse is good but definitely more of a bar, the pub at the West end of thistle street is not bad either. Dinner 7 closing at the shore was very good untill it closed.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Five Guys is excellent but ridiculously expensive.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"