hibs.net Messageboard

Page 61 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2506
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wedgewood have released details of their Valentine's kit, 5 or 7 course and the option of matched wines.
    Not cheap but I'd normally go out every few weeks, and I haven't been, so think I might splurge.
    We got Wedgewood delivered for my birthday and last years wedding anniversary, four courses, just outstanding.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Promising Youngster
    Got the cutting chaii Valentine’s box booked for next weekend, it’s a really good Indian.

Had monkfish and chips with tartar sauce from the Fishmarket today. Was really good. I was a bit underwhelmed last time I was there but today made me see what all the fuss is about.

I mentioned the Smiddy BBQ further up the thread. Got a sharing platter the other week. Brisket, pork butt, pork belly burnt ends, ribs, cowboy beans, pickled red onions, pickled gherkins and red slaw. It was unbelievable. You could cut the meat with a spoon it was so tender and the taste was out of this world. Would 100% recommend.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Had monkfish and chips with tartar sauce from the Fishmarket today. Was really good. I was a bit underwhelmed last time I was there but today made me see what all the fuss is about.

I mentioned the Smiddy BBQ further up the thread. Got a sharing platter the other week. Brisket, pork butt, pork belly burnt ends, ribs, cowboy beans, pickled red onions, pickled gherkins and red slaw. It was unbelievable. You could cut the meat with a spoon it was so tender and the taste was out of this world. Would 100% recommend.
    Seen this place mentioned a few times here and on social media, so, with your glowing reference, I've ordered a Friday sharing platter. I love American style smokehouse food....looking forward to it already!

We got treated by our daughter last night, Home by Nico, the home dining version of 6 by Nico. Its the Tuscan menu at the moment, soup, pork ragu, pasta main course, and 2 hazelnut bombolonis and a decent bottle of Chianti (untouched, still on the Lent wagon), but really delicious and great value £60.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    We got treated by our daughter last night, Home by Nico, the home dining version of 6 by Nico. Its the Tuscan menu at the moment, soup, pork ragu, pasta main course, and 2 hazelnut bombolonis and a decent bottle of Chianti (untouched, still on the Lent wagon), but really delicious and great value £60.
    Was that for two mate and were the portions decent size ? Reason Im asking is Im a greedy git 😆

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Was that for two mate and were the portions decent size ? Reason Im asking is Im a greedy git 😆
    Oh yeah, plenty. Was me and the missus. it was so filling we had to leave the puddings till the next day!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Oh yeah, plenty. Was me and the missus. it was so filling we had to leave the puddings till the next day!
    Excellent, cheers mate, will have a look at that 👍

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    We took a stroll across the Tay Bridge to Newport yesterday; got a coffee and a cake from Newport Bakery. Owned by a chap who has a Michelin recommended restaurant and won Masterchef Professionals a few years back.

Best Basque cheesecake I've had in this country. Partner had a slice of their bakewell with candied orange peel and it was similarly phenomenal.

Any Fifers, would highly recommend.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    We took a stroll across the Tay Bridge to Newport yesterday; got a coffee and a cake from Newport Bakery. Owned by a chap who has a Michelin recommended restaurant and won Masterchef Professionals a few years back.

Best Basque cheesecake I've had in this country. Partner had a slice of their bakewell with candied orange peel and it was similarly phenomenal.

Any Fifers, would highly recommend.
    That sounds like my kind of place!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/...rants-scotland

Maybe sometime soon we’ll be able to sample some of these

Was at Fazenda on Thursday for lunch. £21.70 fixed price for the usual unlimited meat visits and pick from the menu sides. Shared a dessert and couple of coffees. £56 for two.

Food lovely. Service brilliant despite the staff having to wear masks all the time. A well earned service charge.

Great to be back in a busy restaurant.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Was at Fazenda on Thursday for lunch. £21.70 fixed price for the usual unlimited meat visits and pick from the menu sides. Shared a dessert and couple of coffees. £56 for two.

Food lovely. Service brilliant despite the staff having to wear masks all the time. A well earned service charge.

How did you find the sides stuff compared to the old way?

I used to like popping up and grabbing a wee bit of this and that but feel I'd probably end up not bothering as much if you need to order it off a menu.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member

Really like the food in there, but £7.50 for a pint of lager, no thanks.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero

We were there for lunch today, it was excellent. I agree about the service, always friendly with a description of each meat. The truffle and Parmesan fries are the best chips ever.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Has everywhere put their prices up? Some of the prices I’ve seen are unreal. The refinery at St. Andrews Square is about £6 a pint and £15 or something for what could only be described as a kids portion of fish and chips. Then they add on a 12.5% service charge after heavily encouraging you to use the app to avoid contact/maintain social distancing. On the app there’s no way of removing the charge.

A few other places that didnt used to be so expensive (Pear Tree being one) are apparently well over £5 a pint and over £6 for a decent few of their offerings.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 03-05-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Has everywhere put their prices up? Some of the prices I’ve seen are unreal. The refinery at St. Andrews Square is about £6 a pint and £15 or something for what could only be described as a kids portion of fish and chips.

A few other places that didnt used to be so expensive (Pear Tree being one) are apparently well over £5 a pint and over £6 for a decent few of their offerings.
    Pear Tree has been over a fiver a pint for a while I think.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Pear Tree has been over a fiver a pint for a while I think.
    Never knew that. Not somewhere I ever go but the person that told me suggested it was a big increase. Might just be the shock of spending £5+ a pint after not doing it for ages

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Never knew that. Not somewhere I ever go but the person that told me suggested it was a big increase. Might just be the shock of spending £5+ a pint after not doing it for ages
    Has VAT been cut on beer etc for hospitality?

Has everywhere put their prices up? Some of the prices I’ve seen are unreal. The refinery at St. Andrews Square is about £6 a pint and £15 or something for what could only be described as a kids portion of fish and chips. Then they add on a 12.5% service charge after heavily encouraging you to use the app to avoid contact/maintain social distancing. On the app there’s no way of removing the charge.

My mate was in Pearce's, seemingly £5.70 a pint for whatever he was drinking! 🙁

I can't think of many places in town you aren't paying around the fiver mark for a pint now. Last pub I was in before the latest lockdown was the Abbotsford and think that was about £4.80. I daresay the additional staffing costs, costs for additional cleaning and sanitising materials and so on required to open hasn't been totally offset by a temporary VAT cut that doesn't include alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Has VAT been cut on beer etc for hospitality?
    No the cut excludes alcohol.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I was in the beer garden at Ten Hill Place over the weekend and they were charging £5 for a pint of flat Carling in a plastic glass.

I know places have had it difficult but if they charge charging ridiculous prices for a rubbish product they aren't going to last long. The novelty of being able to get out and into these places will only last so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I was in the beer garden at Ten Hill Place over the weekend and they were charging £5 for a pint of flat Carling in a plastic glass.

I know places have had it difficult but if they charge charging ridiculous prices for a rubbish product they aren't going to last long. The novelty of being able to get out and into these places will only last so long.
    Very true, particularly during the summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I can't think of many places in town you aren't paying around the fiver mark for a pint now. Last pub I was in before the latest lockdown was the Abbotsford and think that was about £4.80. I daresay the additional staffing costs, costs for additional cleaning and sanitising materials and so on required to open hasn't been totally offset by a temporary VAT cut that doesn't include alcohol.
    Yeah, £5ish seems to be the standard now. Always felt places that were more than £5 usually stood out when you paid it but there’s loads now. With the amount of places getting close to the £6 mark it’s almost becoming London prices.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Prices will be up in most venues. Since the first lock down, most have only traded a few months, with much reduced turnover yet have had 2 minimum wage increases and supplier price increases. As stated above, the temp VAT cut does not include alcohol. Whilst delighted to back open, the industry is trading with 2 hands tied behind its back. Reduced capacity, reduced hours etc for the foreseeable. It’s going to be very difficult to make any sort of profit. I expect we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg with venue closures.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 03-05-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    How did you find the sides stuff compared to the old way?

I used to like popping up and grabbing a wee bit of this and that but feel I'd probably end up not bothering as much if you need to order it off a menu.

I definitely ate less of the "sides" than I did when it was self service. Which is good as I was full before any meat arrived! The menu ordering was really easy with loads of choices. You just asked one of the many staff and it was with you very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Prices will be up in most venues. Since the first lock down, most have only traded a few months, with much reduced turnover yet have had 2 minimum wage increases and supplier price increases. As stated above, the temp VAT cut does not include alcohol. Whilst delighted to back open, the industry is trading with 2 hands tied behind its back. Reduced capacity, reduced hours etc for the foreseeable. It’s going to be very difficult to make any sort of profit. I expect we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg with venue closures.
    Is there any expectation within the industry as to when things will get back to normal? As in February 2020 normal.

As furlough ends I can't imagine many pubs will be able to continue if it's still seated only with table service.

If you’re not able to stand and wander etc at pubs by the end of summer I’d think a lot of people will stop going.

The novelty of pubs being back open will keep them busy just now but longer term that novelty will wear off and folk will decide table service and no standing is absolutely crap,

Australia are back to total normality on that front though so I don’t think it’ll be a long term thing.

If you’re not able to stand and wander etc at pubs by the end of summer I’d think a lot of people will stop going.

The novelty of pubs being back open will keep them busy just now but longer term that novelty will wear off and folk will decide table service and no standing is absolutely crap,

Australia are back to total normality on that front though so I don’t think it’ll be a long term thing.
    Sadly I agree. If it continues long term that in pubs you can only sit down with your group with no interaction with other folk then most people will simply sit with that group in their homes.