hibs.net Messageboard

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485
Results 2,521 to 2,534 of 2534
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    When I was back a few weeks ago we had a meal in the Gurkha in Musselburgh. Whilst the food was delicious, I'm not sure it was worth £135 for 4 mains and 4 drinks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A shout for Malvarossa in Portobello.
    I love the food in Malvarossa but I'm always wary of recommending it because the owner can be really odd when he is out front serving.

I'm in fairly regularly. One night I went in with a couple who hadn't been before and he flat out refused to sell us Estrella (despite having it on draught) and insisted we have bottles of Mahou instead. I recommended it to a work colleague as well and she said he was really off with her and her husband to the point it was just outright rude.

I can get why people feel that way. I like him and his wife is lovely but I think he just has a bit of an odd sense of humour that can rub some people up the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I love the food in Malvarossa but I'm always wary of recommending it because the owner can be really odd when he is out front serving.

I'm in fairly regularly. One night I went in with a couple who hadn't been before and he flat out refused to sell us Estrella (despite having it on draught) and insisted we have bottles of Mahou instead. I recommended it to a work colleague as well and she said he was really off with her and her husband to the point it was just outright rude.

I can get why people feel that way. I like him and his wife is lovely but I think he just has a bit of an odd sense of humour that can rub some people up the wrong way.
    Thats interesting. The first time i went in there he was generous to the point of obsequiousness. He ended up giving me some spanish chocolate cake for free that i just had to try. But yes, quirky characters sometimes go both ways. Maybe just a bit eccentic.

Timberyard. I was there last night.
    Tiny portions of average food. A mess of wine/beer pairings, 2 of which we had exchanged.

A small glass of German beer was offered, another course orange wine. Eventually we had 2 small glasses of Sangiovese.

Main, if you can call it that was either John Dory or Guinea fowl. Both ok but....

450 for 2. I'm still trying to make it seem worth it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    Tiny portions of average food. A mess of wine/beer pairings, 2 of which we had exchanged.

A small glass of German beer was offered, another course orange wine. Eventually we had 2 small glasses of Sangiovese.

Main, if you can call it that was either John Dory or Guinea fowl. Both ok but....

Rather pricy for the area !

@hibs.net private member
    Timberyard. ...

Is that a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Is that a typo?
    Iirc it's a 7 course tasting menu with 7 paired drinks.

Still not cheap, and I broadly agree with the OPs assessment of the food, but a bit more understandable than if it had been a main and pudding each with a bottle of house red.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Iirc it's a 7 course tasting menu with 7 paired drinks.
    Ah I see. Thank you.

@hibs.net private member
    For that price you could almost get two of you flights and a couple of nights hotel in Porto or Naples for example. Need a few hundred for food and drink but it's cheap and blows your mind.

Is that a typo?
    No. If only.

Ah I see. Thank you.
    5 courses. But really can you count 2 pieces of asparagus as a course.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    I was there for my b’day on Sat. We got the sharing platter which was excellent and I got a green chicken curry and she got the red duck curry. Both curries were really good.

Only complaint was I had one of those wobbly tables. I never expected it in there. The bill came to £90 for the 2 of us for starter, main and 2 small beers. I’ve been before and understand the expense but thankfully had a £50 voucher.
    Was that 90 after the voucher?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

450 for 2
    . I'm still trying to make it seem worth it.
    Jings! That's steep.
    I can't remember if I've mentioned it here before but the Purslane down Stockbridge is a cracking wee restaurant and they do a seven course taster menu with paired wines for £140 per head. Food has always been excellent and the guys serving the wines definitely come across as knowing their stuff, and in my experience, are less pretentious than the Timberyard staff (to be fair, I haven't been to the TY since lockdown).
    The Purslane food is up there with the best I've had in Edinburgh and the owner said they probably could have went down the Michelin award route but they shied away from it as the effort to maintain the award standard can be tough and if you lose a star, the assumption is your failing, which isn't always the case.
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; Today at 02:33 PM.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Was that 90 after the voucher?
    £50 voucher + £40 cash. I've another £50 voucher and will do the same again for the mrs b'day coming up soon.

Personally speaking, for me it's expensive and i probably wouldn't have went if i never had the voucher. The expense is all relative though so worth a visit if you can afford it.