hibs.net Messageboard

Page 68 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2523
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that Newington mate ? I remember Karens at Meadowbank many years ago and the food never failed, always good reviews. I think they closed and opened up at Newington with same name but Im sure the Mother (Karen) was retiring and her Daughter Karen went alone. Always wanted to visit the Newington place but never got round to it
    No mate this is at Abercrombie Place, just back and can’t fault it,food was absolutely top notch. My only complaint is that ever since I can remember I always finish a Chinese meal with a couple of brandy liqueur coffees. They don’t do liqueur or Irish coffees of any description, the guy said they used to but staff shortages meant they stopped doing them! Was a great night though, we started with cocktails at the Alchemist at St James quarter which although expensive was great fun.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    No mate this is at Abercrombie Place, just back and can’t fault it,food was absolutely top notch. My only complaint is that ever since I can remember I always finish a Chinese meal with a couple of brandy liqueur coffees. They don’t do liqueur or Irish coffees of any description, the guy said they used to but staff shortages meant they stopped doing them! Was a great night though, we started with cocktails at the Alchemist at St James quarter which although expensive was great fun.
    Brilliant mate thanks for replying, will put this one on our to visit list, yeah like you Im always partial to a whisky coffee, Jamesons, hope they bring it back at some point, always a nice way to finish a meal

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Decent restaurants are not cheap, nor are some bad ones. They're clawing back the money lost during lockdown. They need to survive.

It's at the stage when we only go out for a meal on special occasions.
    It’s more about survival in the current ****-show. Costs are spiralling in every sector and hospitality is no different. My energy bill has gone from about £1500 per month to £7000 in the last couple of months. My beer supplier has just put on a 10% increase across the board, our food suppliers have averaged 11% increase since spring. Wages are going through the roof. It’s mental.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    I would say with some conviction that Karen's is the best chinese in Edinburgh. Food is absolutely brilliant, a level above everything else.

Went to original kebabish on dalry road on Sunday. Place looks a bit tired inside and could do with a deep clean. Can't fault the food. Excellent! Lamb chops were amazing as was piripiri chicken.

Serenaded by pished teenage hearts fan as he walked past with a chorus of "Billy boys", then stuck his head in the window of the kitchen, shouted a racist comment then went on his merry way

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Is that Newington mate ? I remember Karens at Meadowbank many years ago and the food never failed, always good reviews. I think they closed and opened up at Newington with same name but Im sure the Mother (Karen) was retiring and her Daughter Karen went alone. Always wanted to visit the Newington place but never got round to it
    Karen's unicorn is diagonally opposite the magnum named above.

If you come down from the national portrait gallery, it's at the top of Dublin Street. Other side of the road from stac polly

Went to Heron at the shore today. Tasting menu, amazing food.

@hibs.net private member
    Went to The Palmerston today.

Was decent enough. Fancied the 1/2 chicken but they’d run out. To be totally honest, the menu isn’t hugely for me and only really left me with the hake that i’d fancy. The hake was nice. Mrs got grouse and it was really chewy. Not sure if grouse is meant to be like that or not though as neither of us have had it before!

Probably won’t go back. Nice place though and great staff and if you’re into ‘fancier’ more obscure stuff like grouse etc then it’s probably worth going.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 05-09-2022 at 07:11 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Went to The Palmerston today.

Was decent enough. Fancied the 1/2 chicken but they’d run out. To be totally honest, the menu isn’t hugely for me and only really left me with the hake that i’d fancy. The hake was nice. Mrs got grouse and it was really chewy. Not sure if grouse is meant to be like that or not though as neither of us have had it before!

Probably won’t go back. Nice place though and great staff and if you’re into ‘fancier’ more obscure stuff like grouse etc then it’s probably worth going.

I had a look at their menu and did a double take: £42 for HALF a chicken ??

No wonder it had run out !

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    A couple of lovely meals out recently at El Cartel at Teviot, and Parilla Bueno Ayres in musslebrugh.

The Argentinian was particularly good. I had a Picanha steak which was cooked and seasoned perfectly. The lamb and chicken skewers were also perfectly cooked and very tasty. Would/will definitely go back.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    A couple of lovely meals out recently at El Cartel at Teviot, and Parilla Bueno Ayres in musslebrugh.

The Argentinian was particularly good. I had a Picanha steak which was cooked and seasoned perfectly. The lamb and chicken skewers were also perfectly cooked and very tasty. Would/will definitely go back.
    El Cartel is brilliant although I’m gutted the Teviot one have taken the pork off the menu. Was the best of the lot imo. Roxburgh still does it but it’s nowhere near as good an atmosphere.

Lunch at Hawes Inn today, the place has had a major facelift and the menu has varied choices. Food was top class, they obviously have a very decent chef in the kitchen, would highly recommend.

@hibs.net private member
    Lunch at Hawes Inn today, the place has had a major facelift and the menu has varied choices. Food was top class, they obviously have a very decent chef in the kitchen, would highly recommend.
    Will give that a try sometime, Im out that way often 👍

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Up in Aviemore for a Trade Conference
    Had a sit in Battered half Chicken and Chips at Smiffys. The batter on it was delicious, must admit never had battered chicken from a Chippy before
    Does anyone know if any Edinburgh ones do this/Scouse Hibee

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Up in Aviemore for a Trade Conference
    Had a sit in Battered half Chicken and Chips at Smiffys. The batter on it was delicious, must admit never had battered chicken from a Chippy before
    Does anyone know if any Edinburgh ones do this/Scouse Hibee
    We don’t and it’s not something I’ve seen in Edinburgh.

You do get it but have to ask for it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    You do get it but have to ask for it.
    Yeah its normally fried isnt it ? Been years since Ive had a chippy chicken

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    They ask you if you want it with or without batter
    Glad I chose the batter one. Worth looking into, was really really good and crispy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    They ask you if you want it with or without batter
    Glad I chose the batter one. Worth looking into, was really really good and crispy
    We don’t sell any form of roast chicken just fried breaded chicken breast goiujons.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Out twice last week.

Sien Viet-vegan Vietnamese, Brougham Place, Tollcross. Fantastic food, really well made but not cheap. It was £90.00 for two, with x2 small beers each. Very tasty.

Kalpna, opposite St Patrick's Sq- vegetarian Indian food. Small menu, but again very tasty. They don't do main courses as side dishes, which I found a bit of a pity. £70.00 for two folk, included two beers, which they overcharged us for. I wasn't paying and the laddie didn't want to point it out. Very nice scran though.

Had a meal at Leftfield in Barclay terrace.
    Food was very good.Mainly a seafood restaurant but I chose Brisket which was delicious.
    Last edited by HibbyDave; 23-09-2022 at 04:50 PM.

Love a chippy chicken in batter, eat all batter 1st, then the chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post

Sien Viet-vegan Vietnamese, Brougham Place, Tollcross. Fantastic food, really well made but not cheap. It was £90.00 for two, with x2 small beers each. Very tasty.
    Agreed. Really good. Coffee was really good as well. We went on a Tuesday night & it was absolutely packed out

Franco Manco at Stockbridge. Very good pizza I thought and pretty reasonably priced. Service was a bit iffy but they seemed short staffed like many places.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Paco’s in Perth.

A bit like Frankie & Benny’s, but if the food was really good. Large menu which I usually find offputting but didn’t find the quality had suffered at all.

Linguine with king prawns, tomato, chili, and garlic was delicious. Partner had chicken stuffed with haggis. Also very well cooked.

Xangos for pud were a revelation. Tortilla stuffed with cheesecake, fried, dusted in sugar and served with ice cream and raspberry coullis.

Two drinks, £61 in total. Enjoyed it.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Finally went to Tattu. Contemporary Asian food, just off st Andrews square.

Not cheap, but it was very good. Very tasty food, great cocktails, and generally good service in a nice setting.

My wife and I got vouchers for our wedding and it's probably for the best that we did - without ordering anything overly expensive or overindulging on food or drinks we very quickly racked up a £170 bill for the 2 of us.
    Mon the Hibs.

Finally went to Tattu. Contemporary Asian food, just off st Andrews square.

Not cheap, but it was very good. Very tasty food, great cocktails, and generally good service in a nice setting.

My wife and I got vouchers for our wedding and it's probably for the best that we did - without ordering anything overly expensive or overindulging on food or drinks we very quickly racked up a £170 bill for the 2 of us.
    Once it gets past about 50 quid how much better can it taste?

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Out twice last week.

Kalpna, opposite St Patrick's Sq- vegetarian Indian food. Small menu, but again very tasty. They don't do main courses as side dishes, which I found a bit of a pity. £70.00 for two folk, included two beers, which they overcharged us for. I wasn't paying and the laddie didn't want to point it out. Very nice scran though.
    Kalpna has been there for years and years, used to be very good, I must get back there sometime. If you want to try a different style of Indian head about 50 yards on away from town to Tanjore, it’s South Indian so no Nan bread, instead they do dosais and parottas, soft fluffy bread, and the spices are different (more cinnamon maybe?) it was recommended to me by a boy who likes his curries and was absolutely delicious, £63 for 3 of us which is ridiculous value these days. No drinks licence but lots of shops nearby.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 26-10-2022 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Once it gets past about 50 quid how much better can it taste?
    It's certainly not a straight line between cost and quality at that price, no. The taste is better though, but you've got the overall experience to factor in also.

They're playing to the market who want something different and special.
    Mon the Hibs.

It's certainly not a straight line between cost and quality at that price, no. The taste is better though, but you've got the overall experience to factor in also.

They're playing to the market who want something different and special.
    True enough.