hibs.net Messageboard

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1221
  1. #1171
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,910
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    o/t - I am shocked and stunned to see the Caley is now Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh (the Caledonian). When did that happen? I had a summer job in the bit that's Grazing when it was "the Gazebo". Tidying up the sweet trolley was always good.
    Itís been the Waldorf since 2011.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #1172
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís been the Waldorf since 2011.
    Iím keeping up as well as ever, then.

  4. #1173
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,910
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím keeping up as well as ever, then.
    It will always be the Caley regardless of the name above the door.

  5. #1174
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will always be the Caley regardless of the name above the door.
    Yup.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  6. #1175
    Testimonial Due ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    71
    Posts
    1,334
    Was at Chef Chi in Portobello last night. Heard a lot of good things about it so decided to try it. All round excellent. Having been battered by the wind and rain walking to it, received a very warm and friendly welcome.

    Perusing the menu suggested nothing out of the ordinary, but when the food came it was excellent. Very reasonable prices, just over £50 for two of us, 2 courses and 4 beers - and that included the person I was with having one of the dearest mains on the menu! Does takeaways as well, so will definitely be back

  7. #1176
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    14,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will always be the Caley regardless of the name above the door.
    It’s funny you say that and I agree it will always be the Caley to me as well. Tourists however don’t know that and they will always call it by whatever it’s called now, this causes problems in the taxi. So many hotels have changed hands recently or fairly recently. The Caley is now the Waldorf, the Royal Terrace is now the Crown plaza, the George is now the Principal, the Roxburgh is now the Kimpton having briefly also been the Crown Plaza and the Carlton is now the Hilton. It’s an absolute minefield
    The thing is locals will still use the old names.

    United we stand here....

  8. #1177
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís funny you say that and I agree it will always be the Caley to me as well. Tourists however donít know that and they will always call it by whatever itís called now, this causes problems in the taxi. So many hotels have changed hands recently or fairly recently. The Caley is now the Waldorf, the Royal Terrace is now the Crown plaza, the George is now the Principal, the Roxburgh is now the Kimpton having briefly also been the Crown Plaza and the Carlton is now the Hilton. Itís an absolute minefield
    The thing is locals will still use the old names.
    This post blows my mind. I grew up in Edinburgh, moved away in my thirties but am regularly back. sometimes to ER and more often for a treat eat out, TBH. I knew the Caley was Waldorf/Galvins whatever but had no idea about the others.

    I guess you expect restaurants to turn over on a regular basis but assume the hotels stay relatively constant.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  9. #1178
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    14,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This post blows my mind. I grew up in Edinburgh, moved away in my thirties but am regularly back. sometimes to ER and more often for a treat eat out, TBH. I knew the Caley was Waldorf/Galvins whatever but had no idea about the others.

    I guess you expect restaurants to turn over on a regular basis but assume the hotels stay relatively constant.
    The hotels were always pretty constant until recently. Even if they changed hands the name stayed the same, but recently so many of the big chains have moved in. They donít necessarily change the name, but they change the branding and they then become known to tourists as whatever that chain may be. When I first started doing the taxis there was one Hilton in Edinburgh, now thereís loads, itís the same with Marriott. Donít start me on the budget hotels which are everywhere and they all have ridiculous names. The Premier Inn central is in Lauriston Place despite the fact that thereís two others much more central.

    United we stand here....

  10. #1179
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The hotels were always pretty constant until recently. Even if they changed hands the name stayed the same, but recently so many of the big chains have moved in. They don’t necessarily change the name, but they change the branding and they then become known to tourists as whatever that chain may be. When I first started doing the taxis there was one Hilton in Edinburgh, now there’s loads, it’s the same with Marriott. Don’t start me on the budget hotels which are everywhere and they all have ridiculous names. The Premier Inn central is in Lauriston Place despite the fact that there’s two others much more central.
    I can imagine

    The website identifications for the locations for the chains don’t stand up to much logic, agree with that.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  11. #1180
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This post blows my mind. I grew up in Edinburgh, moved away in my thirties but am regularly back. sometimes to ER and more often for a treat eat out, TBH. I knew the Caley was Waldorf/Galvins whatever but had no idea about the others.

    I guess you expect restaurants to turn over on a regular basis but assume the hotels stay relatively constant.
    Just to confuse you further Galvins are no longer at the Caley, Mark Greenaway has taken over the bistro on Rutland Street and itís now called Grazing. The Pompadour is now back in the hands of the hotel and no longer run by Galvins.

  12. #1181
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,910
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís funny you say that and I agree it will always be the Caley to me as well. Tourists however donít know that and they will always call it by whatever itís called now, this causes problems in the taxi. So many hotels have changed hands recently or fairly recently. The Caley is now the Waldorf, the Royal Terrace is now the Crown plaza, the George is now the Principal, the Roxburgh is now the Kimpton having briefly also been the Crown Plaza and the Carlton is now the Hilton. Itís an absolute minefield
    The thing is locals will still use the old names.
    I never thought of so many name changes until you pointed them out, I didnít even know the Kimpton at all.

  13. #1182
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just to confuse you further Galvins are no longer at the Caley, Mark Greenaway has taken over the bistro on Rutland Street and itís now called Grazing. The Pompadour is now back in the hands of the hotel and no longer run by Galvins.

    Hotel restaurants are a funny lot. They open to great publicity then fade into nothing eg Galvin nonsense. If I were them, I would be deeply shamefaced

    to have my name on this but I guess it is not a priority for them.

    Never eat in hotel restaurants I was told when younger and I think that is still true especially in a city like Edinburgh.

  14. #1183
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never thought of so many name changes until you pointed them out, I didnít even know the Kimpton at all.
    I got married last year at this hotel. When we first viewed it it was the Roxborough, when we got married there it had changed to the principal then when we went back for our complimentary one year anniversary stay it was the Kimpton!

  15. #1184
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís funny you say that and I agree it will always be the Caley to me as well. Tourists however donít know that and they will always call it by whatever itís called now, this causes problems in the taxi. So many hotels have changed hands recently or fairly recently. The Caley is now the Waldorf, the Royal Terrace is now the Crown plaza, the George is now the Principal, the Roxburgh is now the Kimpton having briefly also been the Crown Plaza and the Carlton is now the Hilton. Itís an absolute minefield
    The thing is locals will still use the old names.
    I think the North British has finally become the Balmoral even to locals.

  16. #1185
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the North British has finally become the Balmoral even to locals.
    Yes, but the Dragonara is still the Dragonara, at least to me.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  17. #1186
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but the Dragonara is still the Dragonara, at least to me.

    Princess Diana stayed there in 1982 or 1983.

  18. #1187
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Princess Diana stayed there in 1982 or 1983.
    I understand it was quite a celebrity haunt.

    In fairness, I never went there when it was the Drag. I first started going with my mates circa fifth year at high school, so we were just underage but not by much. The mum of one of my best friends at the time had worked there when it was the Drag, so we referred to it as that, though I think it might have become a Hilton by then or was something else and then became a Hilton.

    Abiding memory was there were a couple of students who worked in the bar. They were in a relationship. He was a really nice guy and one time, when we had run out of money, gave us a lift up to Haymarket to go to a cash machine and come back to keep drinking. His girlfriend was gorgeous and we were just in awe of her!

    They liked our music choices so they used to just open up the jukebox and give us free credits.

    Glory days
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  19. #1188
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but the Dragonara is still the Dragonara, at least to me.
    Was that the Belford Road hotel?

  20. #1189
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that the Belford Road hotel?
    Yeah, down on the Water of Leith. Think it burned down at one point but was rebuilt. It was definitely the Dragonara and later a Hilton, but I think it might have been something else in between, which frustrates me because thatís probably when I was drinking there! Itís not a Hilton anymore, think it is Britannia.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  21. #1190
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but the Dragonara is still the Dragonara, at least to me.
    When it opened it was a beautiful hotel, used to have a pianist on a Saturday night.
    Used to go the pub underneath it was called the Granary, and it was always busy

  22. #1191
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When it opened it was a beautiful hotel, used to have a pianist on a Saturday night.
    Used to go the pub underneath it was called the Granary, and it was always busy

    I was a porter there in the summer that it opened.

    The Granary was good but was constantly damp. The river flooded frequently.

  23. #1192
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When it opened it was a beautiful hotel, used to have a pianist on a Saturday night.
    Used to go the pub underneath it was called the Granary, and it was always busy
    Aah, the Granary, thatís what the bar was called. The memories are flooding back now, cheers
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  24. #1193
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, down on the Water of Leith. Think it burned down at one point but was rebuilt. It was definitely the Dragonara and later a Hilton, but I think it might have been something else in between, which frustrates me because thatís probably when I was drinking there! Itís not a Hilton anymore, think it is Britannia.
    When I moved here in 92 pretty sure I knew it as the Menzies

  25. #1194
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    14,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I moved here in 92 pretty sure I knew it as the Menzies
    Yes it was the Belford Menzies, Iím pretty sure it then became a travelodge before becoming the Britannia.

    United we stand here....

  26. #1195
    @hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,100
    Really enjoyed that. Delicious Sunday roast. Would highly recommend

  27. #1196
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,910
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really enjoyed that. Delicious Sunday roast. Would highly recommend
    👍

  28. #1197
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aah, the Granary, thatís what the bar was called. The memories are flooding back now, cheers
    I wonder why no major group has looked at this hotel and grounds. In a beautiful part of Edinburgh, right on the water of leith
    Wouldnít be surprised if property developers were looking at it
    Used to go loads in the 80ís

  29. #1198
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder why no major group has looked at this hotel and grounds. In a beautiful part of Edinburgh, right on the water of leith
    Wouldnít be surprised if property developers were looking at it
    Used to go loads in the 80ís
    They donít come much bigger than Hilton.

  30. #1199
    Administrator BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Erm...........................
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,635
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The hotels were always pretty constant until recently. Even if they changed hands the name stayed the same, but recently so many of the big chains have moved in. They donít necessarily change the name, but they change the branding and they then become known to tourists as whatever that chain may be. When I first started doing the taxis there was one Hilton in Edinburgh, now thereís loads, itís the same with Marriott. Donít start me on the budget hotels which are everywhere and they all have ridiculous names. The Premier Inn central is in Lauriston Place despite the fact that thereís two others much more central.
    My favourite was the first time a tourist asked me to take them to "Leonardo Murrayfield"

    When was the top of Clermiston road ever considered Murrayfield
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

  31. #1200
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They donít come much bigger than Hilton.
    Sorry thought it was a Britannia?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved