hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    United have just signed a German world cup winner, a French international midfielder and the Italian national team right back for a combined fee of a couple of million more than Sterling will cost. It's bonkers; there's paying a premium for an English player and there's being taken to the cleaners.

Absolutely !!
    The game has gone crazy and the people who turn up on a Saturday will be the ones to " pay the piper"
    Can this go on indefinately or will a really big club go bust ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    United have just signed a German world cup winner, a French international midfielder and the Italian national team right back for a combined fee of a couple of million more than Sterling will cost. It's bonkers; there's paying a premium for an English player and there's being taken to the cleaners.
    That's bonkers as well. Are United being prudent? £145m in 12 months might suggest otherwise. That's only on players.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    [/U][/B]

Absolutely !!
    The game has gone crazy and the people who turn up on a Saturday will be the ones to " pay the piper"
    Can't stand the thought of any club going bust. Someone needs to take heed though. We need the game returned to us.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    That's bonkers as well. Are United being prudent? £145m in 12 months might suggest otherwise. That's only on players.
    It's £225 million in twelve months, and £65 million on Mata and Fellaini six months previously!
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Good bit of business by Liverpool to get £49 million, less the reported £10 million that QPR will get, for a player who didn't want to be there. Hopefully they'll spend it wisely although I suspect that they will be asked for daft money for any player that they are looking to replace Sterling with.

The football world has gone absolutely crazy. I blame Sky. I would love it just love it if they went bust.
    And the 25 thousand staff they employ who don't earn premiership football wages....?

Liverpool must be laughing their duck off, £49 mil for a player wi his attitude & a ready made replacement from city in James Milner for nowt, city have been well & truly done

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    More than City paid for Aguero, more than Arsenal paid for Sanchez and Ozil (each), more than Man Utd paid for Mata, more than Chelsea paid for Hazard, Costa and Fabregas (each) and more than Bayern paid for Gotze and would have for Reus.

Completely crazy given that the above had all delivered and the buyers are getting known quality. Sterling has had one good season and not done an awful lot in football as yet. His attitude so far indicates he's a disrespectful big time Charlie with little class. Shows why a lot of European coaches avoid buying English players - they are seriously overpriced!
    Last edited by Baader; 13-07-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythefish View Post
    Liverpool must be laughing their duck off, £49 mil for a player wi his attitude & a ready made replacement from city in James Milner for nowt, city have been well & truly done
    I think it's fair to say that Milner and Sterling are 2 very different types of players.

Still, clearly Liverpool have come out best of that particular trade!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    More than City paid for Aguero, more than Arsenal paid for Sanchez and Ozil (each), more than Man Utd paid for Mata, more than Chelsea paid for Hazard, Costa and Fabregas (each) and more than Bayern paid for Gotze and would have for Reus.

Completely crazy given that the above had all delivered and the buyers are getting known quality. Sterling has had one good season and not done an awful lot in football as yet. His attitude so far indicates he's a disrespectful big time Charlie with little class. Shows why a lot of European coaches avoid buying English players - they are seriously overpriced!
    Yes, you can imagine that Wenger is not impressed by Sterling's behaviour.

On the other hand, Pellegrini is probably in his last season at City, his club have money to burn, so from his pov why not? Sterling might be horribly overpriced but he's definitely got something about him.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liamh2202 View Post
    Or he could have got a career ending injury and never got his big move at all?
    Correct, however how often has that actually happened? A high profile player staying put for 12 months before a big move and then getting injured and never playing again? Always read that it might happen, however it rarely-if ever-does.

Reading through the thread, lots of folk saying that it would be hard for him to turn down a move to City. In normal circumstances, that would probably be correct. However, it's the way he's gone about getting the move that's so bad. It would be like Scott Allan engineering a move to rangers this summer and treating Hibs with utter contempt to make sure we agreed to it. Suppose he could say that he's worried he gets a career threatening injury playing on championship pitches next season. Thankfully he's more class in his left peg than Sterling's entire body

If he stays the 5 years without pay rises, the total comes to approx 100 million quid. He's no better than nasri or silva so can't see him starting much next season. Most over rated league in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    When do Manchester City visit Anfield, he'll get a pretty hot reception
    Not until March 1 unfortunately---theyre at maine Rd(whatever!!) on Nov 21

The big league money is spinning massively out of control. Far too many billionaires who have come in, thrown ridiculous amounts of cash around and completely inflated the market. It wasn't that long ago that £50m for a player was practically unheard of and now it seems to be fairly normal for these big clubs.

It's silly money but to clubs like Man City, Chelsea etc. its nothing. How long can this actually go on for?

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    If he stays the 5 years without pay rises, the total comes to approx 100 million quid. He's no better than nasri or silva so can't see him starting much next season. Most over rated league in the world
    Nasri's form is inconsistent, Silva has injuries / fatigue that stops him playing every game. Both class players but I think Sterling definitely has it, the most exciting English footballer right now.

Now time to see if this enormous money goes to his head or if he settles down and works hard.

Hard not think what we could do if someone decided to drop £49m on Hibs though.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    Nasri's form is inconsistent, Silva has injuries / fatigue that stops him playing every game. Both class players but I think Sterling definitely has it, the most exciting English footballer right now.

Now time to see if this enormous money goes to his head or if he settles down and works hard.

Hard not think what we could do if someone decided to drop £49m on Hibs though.
    Bitterness asdide as he's now gone and no longer on my radar, I do hope he goes on to fulfil his potential and in particular be a star for England. I think he needs to work really hard on his off the field behaviour which will hopefully will come with maturity and more sensible people around him and influencing him. If not I fear he may crash and burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Bitterness asdide as he's now gone and no longer on my radar, I do hope he goes on to fulfil his potential and in particular be a star for England. I think he needs to work really hard on his off the field behaviour which will hopefully will come with maturity and more sensible people around him and influencing him. If not I fear he may crash and burn.
    I agree Scouse Hibee, I think it will come down to attitude with him. Theres obviously potential there but if he carries on with his 'I'm a big time Charlie' attitude and starts thinking he's bigger and better than what he is then he will end up in trouble. If he cuts the smart arse act, gets his head down, works hard then he will probably do well for himself. He's still a young lad who has a hell of a lot to learn both on and off the park.

I recall watching that "Inside Liverpool FC" documentary that came out a couple years or so ago. Part of which filmed and followed Brendan and the team on a pre-season tour. Rogers gathered a group of young lads (including Sterling) together on the training field for a team talk and Sterling stood there giving smart arse comments. Rogers quite rightly nipped it in the bud and told him there and then to cut the attitude and listen or he would be on the first flight back home. Obviously he's a young laddie and was probably tryna play the clown and give it the big 'un in front of the other young players but it only proved what a disrespectful wee twat he can be. It's this kind of thing that will let him down if he continues it. Hopefully he learns to shut up and listen in future, as any manager worth their salt will wash their hands of players who try to undermine them and disrupt the dressing room.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonkey7 View Post
    I agree Scouse Hibee, I think it will come down to attitude with him. Theres obviously potential there but if he carries on with his 'I'm a big time Charlie' attitude and starts thinking he's bigger and better than what he is then he will end up in trouble. If he cuts the smart arse act, gets his head down, works hard then he will probably do well for himself. He's still a young lad who has a hell of a lot to learn both on and off the park.

I recall watching that "Inside Liverpool FC" documentary that came out a couple years or so ago. Part of which filmed and followed Brendan and the team on a pre-season tour. Rogers gathered a group of young lads (including Sterling) together on the training field for a team talk and Sterling stood there giving smart arse comments. Rogers quite
    rightly nipped it in the bud and told him there and then to cut the attitude and listen or he would be on the first flight back home. Obviously he's a young laddie and was probably tryna play the clown and give it the big 'un in front of the other young players but it only proved what a disrespectful wee twat he can be. It's this kind of thing that will let him down if he continues it. Hopefully he learns to shut up and listen in future, as any manager worth their salt will wash their hands of players
    who try to undermine them and disrupt the dressing room.
    I remember that bit and, to be fair to Sterling, it was Rodgers who seemed to be a bit of a prat and playing up to the cameras. Rodgers was going ballistic and Sterling said "easy" and Rodgers lost it further.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeemikey21 View Post
    I remember that bit and, to be fair to Sterling, it was Rodgers who seemed to be a bit of a prat and playing up to the cameras. Rodgers was going ballistic and Sterling said "easy" and Rodgers lost it further.
    Regardless. IMO if the manager is speaking, even if he does appear to be playing to the cameras, you shut up and respect him as he's trying to teach you. Looked to me as if Sterling was tryna give it the big un infront of the cameras there as well. To me he just came across as a silly wee school kid tryna show off to the class.

Coaching Staff
    Dont think the stats support supposed star status, just does not score enough to warrant the fee paid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonkey7 View Post
    Regardless. IMO if the manager is speaking, even if he does appear to be playing to the cameras, you shut up and respect him as he's trying to teach you. Looked to me as if Sterling was tryna give it the big un infront of the cameras there as well. To me he just came across as a silly wee school kid tryna show off to the class.

Like it or lump it, a football team is not a democracy.

Speaking of which, why was Rodgers going out of his way to say he still had a strong relationship with Sterling?? Er, he dumped you, girlfriend!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    [/U][/B]

Absolutely !
    Sky money, BBC money, Gulf oil money, sick of it all, maybe a really big club does have to go bust in order for sense to prevail.

I wonder how much Hibs have spent on transfer fees in our entire history?

Coaching Staff
    £100000 for Joe Harper was the big one. Not in that league now.

I read a few of the comments, about how you would need to be on drugs etc to stay at a club you loved, when being offered huge dosh to move to some other club you didn't want to play for. I don't know if Matt Le Tissier has been mentioned, as i did not read all comments, but he refused to leave his club despite all sorts of silly money offers. So love of a badge comes into it, even for someone as talented as Southamptons own "Le God".

Wasn't he on 35K per week at Liverpool, was offered a new contract at 100K +, and is now on 200K at City?

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Victor Valdes not a popular man at Utd: -

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33531333

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Victor Valdes not a popular man at Utd: -

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33531333
    I thought it was strange he was taken on United's American tour; I guess there's the answer.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    The 700 k we paid for De La Cruz is our record transfer paid . 400 k for Keith Keith . Think we paid 400 k for Gorum . That's 1.5 m for just 3 players
    I'll guess it's about 3 or 4 m in total transfers paid .

GGTTH
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

I thought it was strange he was taken on United's American tour; I guess there's the answer.

United give him an opportunity to get fit after his rehab and push for a starting place, he refuses reserve football, quite right too, get rid.