hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope could have freed him for a number of reasons.
    Name them!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Name them!
    I think a big part of the reason was alluded to above re finances. If Crystal Palace take a punt on him and in 2 years he's not good enough then so what? He'll be on money that is peanuts to them.

At Hibs we need a keeper who was pushing for the number 1 slot. For some of the criticism Oxley was getting last season not one person was shouting for Kleton to get a start. The one game he did play saw Stubbs set up ridiculously conservatively to protect him, that says a lot. At 20 he would have been taking up an over age slot in the development squad, taking a wage whilst not being in a position to push for a 1st team slot, and believe me he was nowhere near ready, and we don't have the luxury of being able to afford that.

With regards Handling and Stanton both really need to kick on or can have no complaints about being shipped out either. The Hibs 20s/development team played some lovely stuff the last few years and James McDonagh is a great guy but when it came to producing players for the 1st team it was failing badly and that's why wholesale changes were made. Craig Flanagan was pretty savage in his assessment and passed comment that several of the under 13 and 14 players were outperforming 20s players in basic fitness and strength tests. Last year we shipped out a load of players to much angst and few have done much of note. Ryan Baptie was released by ICT, Ross Caldwell was released by St Mirren, Euan Smith was released by Kilmarnock...... If Hibs feel a few of the next batch Aren't up to scratch I'd trust us to get it right as we usually do.

On the bright side there are some cracking prospects in the current development side. Lewis Allan, Ben Stirling, Conor Duthie, Calum Crane and Aaron Dunsmore are ones to keep and eye on and if 1 or 2 of them make the step up we'll have done well imo.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think a big part of the reason was alluded to above re finances. If Crystal Palace take a punt on him and in 2 years he's not good enough then so what? He'll be on money that is peanuts to them.

At Hibs we need a keeper who was pushing for the number 1 slot. For some of the criticism Oxley was getting last season not one person was shouting for Kleton to get a start. The one game he did play saw Stubbs set up ridiculously conservatively to protect him, that says a lot. At 20 he would have been taking up an over age slot in the development squad, taking a wage whilst not being in a position to push for a 1st team slot, and believe me he was nowhere near ready, and we don't have the luxury of being able to afford that.

With regards Handling and Stanton both really need to kick on or can have no complaints about being shipped out either. The Hibs 20s/development team played some lovely stuff the last few years and James McDonagh is a great guy but when it came to producing players for the 1st team it was failing badly and that's why wholesale changes were made. Craig Flanagan was pretty savage in his assessment and passed comment that several of the under 13 and 14 players were outperforming 20s players in basic fitness and strength tests. Last year we shipped out a load of players to much angst and few have done much of note. Ryan Baptie was released by ICT, Ross Caldwell was released by St Mirren, Euan Smith was released by Kilmarnock...... If Hibs feel a few of the next batch Aren't up to scratch I'd trust us to get it right as we usually do.

On the bright side there are some cracking prospects in the current development side. Lewis Allan, Ben Stirling, Conor Duthie, Calum Crane and Aaron Dunsmore are ones to keep and eye on and if 1 or 2 of them make the step up we'll have done well imo.
    Some interesting points PB. We've had a lot of good young talent at ER for a few years now, but they don't seem to have made the grade, for whatever reason.
    Am I right in thinking, that we haven't produced a young player, who's a 1st team regular since East Mains opened. I'm taking Paul Hanlon out of this, as he was pre East Mains

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Some interesting points PB. We've had a lot of good young talent at ER for a few years now, but they don't seem to have made the grade, for whatever reason.
    Am I right in thinking, that we haven't produced a young player, who's a 1st team regular since East Mains opened. I'm taking Paul Hanlon out of this, as he was pre East Mains
    Forster? Suppose he joined quite late.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    PB has saved me the trouble.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 04-07-2015 at 09:01 AM.

First Team Breakthrough HTD1875's Avatar
    The other lad released alongside him Neil Martinyuuk has also quickly got another club aswell. He's at St Johnstone.

Can't be ersed as it's not exactly rocket science to think of them yourself! PB has saved me the trouble of educating you.
    My post made it clear that I was concerned about the amount of young players being released or not fulfilling their potential to allow them to break in to the first team squad, and what that tells me is their is a either a problem in the selection of players at an early age or their is a problem in the coaching process. Every club in the land are able to produce their own players which in itself can be very profitable as we've witnessed in years gone bye, Thomson, Brown, Riordan etc. In recent years we have produced very little! That to me is a major concern and just as important is the waste of young talent not to mention the waste of time and expense, this area needs to adressed and quickly! PB your post was informative ! Scouse your comment re my education was definitely not required pal, GGTTH!

My post made it clear that I was concerned about the amount of young players being released or not fulfilling their potential to allow them to break in to the first team squad, and what that tells me is their is a either a problem in the selection of players at an early age or their is a problem in the coaching process. Every club in the land are able to produce their own players which in itself can be very profitable as we've witnessed in years gone bye, Thomson, Brown, Riordan etc. In recent years we have produced very little! That to me is a major concern and just as important is the waste of young talent not to mention the waste of time and expense, this area needs to adressed and quickly! PB your post was informative ! Scouse your comment re my education was definitely not required pal, GGTTH!
    Thomson brown and riordon came through at a time where we scouted youngsters from boys clubs. We signed them as full time players. Its not how it works now. I still think we have done well when you look at the players we have brought through from our youth setup. Fletch , Hanlon , Forster , to name a few. Ironically Cummings was brought in like it used to be done , scouted from boys club.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Aye you're right, I retract it.

Aye you're right, I retract it.
    Nae bother scouse!