hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The point is the players who are selected will want to win regardless of who plays, ultimately the players selected may not be good enough. I would play a mix of experienced players who need a game and some youngsters if we win great if we get beat (not humped as suggested in other posts) no problem.

its a funny old game but when your time is up and the Pet cup was your only winners medal ? Also do you think Hibs can afford to miss out on revenue ?

ask Gary M ckay about his medals as a Pro !

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    A question for those that think the Petrofac Cup is just as valid a competition as the Scottish or League Cups......

If we won it, would you want an open topped bus parade through Edinburgh as celebration?

I dont care what level we're playing the manky ones and in what competition....whenever we play them, anywhere, at any time, we should want to beat them into submission. To a pulp. To within an inch of their sporting existence and then do it a bit more for good measure. I remember those *******s celebrating that year at Easter Road, that year they thought we could in some way be friendly with them and that we'd let them win over us for any reason.

No danger.

Always, with your very last breath if necessary, look to hammer the huns. Always. No ifs, buts or maybes. No excuses.

If we do nothing else in this cup but put THEM out, that would do.

We have a score to settle with them for that play off at Ibrox where we had dozens of corners and 1 ****ty shot on target. Vengence can be ours. Start as you mean to go on; by skelping them in the boat with as many goals as possible.

ENDOF

A question for those that think the Petrofac Cup is just as valid a competition as the Scottish or League Cups......

If we won it, would you want an open topped bus parade through Edinburgh as celebration?
    That's not really the point is it - I don't think it is as valid as the SC or the League Cup, but I'd expect the club to be putting out a full-strength squad anyway to give the team game time and enable our manager to see how match ready his team is for the campaign - better to do that now than in "valid" competitions, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    That's not really the point is it - I don't think it is as valid as the SC or the League Cup, but I'd expect the club to be putting out a full-strength squad anyway to give the team game time and enable our manager to see how match ready his team is for the campaign - better to do that now than in "valid" competitions, surely?

I totally agree with that and have already said we should treat this first game very seriously, as it's both ideal preparation for the season and a chance to beat DerHun.

After that, if we're still in the competition, it's a good chance to give fringe players an opportunity of game time. I'm not talking about playing 11 youths but a mixture of first team and fringe/youths.

What I disagree with is the notion, as put forward by some, that the competition is just as important as the Scottish or League Cups, hence my question.

What I disagree with is the notion, as put forward by some, that the competition is just as important as the Scottish or League Cups, hence my question.
    Well, it's not as important, but how the club approaches these games shouldn't be any different to those ones - it's called professionalism ... something the club should seriously consider

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Well, it's not as important, but how the club approaches these games shouldn't be any different to those ones - it's called professionalism ... something the club should seriously consider

Peejay, why the rolling eyes, we seem to be basically in agreement.

Peejay, why the rolling eyes, we seem to be basically in agreement.

yeah ... it's this heat wave, I guess ... I'm off to the beer garden!

As a club we have won 3 major trophies in 60+ years, are we really in a postion to turn our noses up at any potential silverware? Ok it's not the LC or SC but I'm damn sure I'd enjoy winning the Petrofac Cup.

Same goes for Hearts fans and their dimissal of the LC. 4 major honours in 55 years and 38 years without a single one and they think they are above a competition. Bizarre.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I think this tie is a massive part of our preparation for the season.

First team only have 3 friendlies listed. Get the full team out and they'll get much more out of this one game than they would out of a couple of friendlies. Win and confidence goes sky high before we've kicked a ball in the league.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    You think they could get 7000 turning up ?? And as for even the idea of it - horrible. I'd rather have one player less and give them no tickets
    Thank **** your not in charge of the club then!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHarpy76 View Post
    Thank **** your not in charge of the club then!
    Are you another that wants to give two ends of our ground them ? That sounds a great idea ....

First Team Breakthrough
    Are you another that wants to give two ends of our ground them ? That sounds a great idea ....
    No, I don't believe I said that.

Do you think it makes financial sense to not give them any?

@hibs.net private member
    No, I don't believe I said that.

Do you think it makes financial sense to not give them any?
    Well maybe if you consider the context of my answer you will know that wasn't the major point I was making ....

First Team Breakthrough
    Well maybe if you consider the context of my answer you will know that wasn't the major point I was making ....
    Well in answer to your whole question I would rather they brought 7000(which won't happen) than none. Yes it would be a horrible sight but financially better.

@hibs.net private member
    Well in answer to your whole question I would rather they brought 7000(which won't happen) than none. Yes it would be a horrible sight but financially better.
    Well. Moving aside the point that they couldn't sell 7000 tickets for a normal game at our place - I'd rather we still had a soul than more money in the bank ..In a straight choice between the 2 options I would 100% rather give them none than 7000

spot on
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    We should field the first choice team in the game as we should be trying to win this competition.

Considering the league as first priority, we want to get off to a fast start, but our pre-season games are against lower division opposition as will be the first round of the league cup. The Petrofac game is the first opportunity for a fully competitive game for the first choice team.

We should also consider the effect on The Rangers. Their supporters are more likely to return in numbers if they get off to a good start, and that will give them more money to spend on players. The more games they lose the more precarious their finances get and the fewer additional players they can sign.

All these reasons point to fielding the best team available.

First Team Breakthrough
    Well. Moving aside the point that they couldn't sell 7000 tickets for a normal game at our place - I'd rather we still had a soul than more money in the bank ..In a straight choice between the 2 options I would 100% rather give them none than 7000
    Which brings me back to my original post.

Thank **** your not in charge of the club.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

No, would you want one for the Championship trophy?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Seems a lot on here agree with The Rangers fans

From Vital Rangers Forums

Mickey Mouse Competition

The Petrofac Training Cup, with us drawn against Hibernian again in round one, clearly isn't the priority for Rangers this season but, speaking personally, I'd still want us to win it if we can but not at the cost of our Championship bid of course!

Barnaby Cricklespiff has shared some thoughts on this competition and the sooner we're out of it the better for them....

'It is absolutely galling that a club of Rangers standard are participating in the Petrofac Cup while the beasts swan off into the sunset with bags of cash from CL / Europa league.

'This is only a distraction and we should play the youth in this Mickey Mouse competition.'

Agree or disagree?

What we also know about the tie at Easter Road is that the BBC cameras will be in attendance as this has been brought forward to 12:30pm on Saturday 25th July so it can be broadcast live.

@hibs.net private member
    Which brings me back to my original post.

Thank **** your not in charge of the club.
    Well , if you'd rather move Hibs fans from their seat and give it to Rangers fans (because that's what your choice is doing ) then I'd suggest you think about what football is about ....for me , you are like Petrie ...I'd much rather we respect ourselves more than that

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    I couldn't care less about winning the Petrofac Cup but beating Rangers could maybe give us an advantage over them going into the season. The match will also come too early for them and I would probably play my first choice team.
    I think we should go all out to give them a doing before they get a chance to gel, it would put them on the back foot and give us a massive phsycological advantage.

Well , if you'd rather move Hibs fans from their seat and give it to Rangers fans (because that's what your choice is doing ) then I'd suggest you think about what football is about ....for me , you are like Petrie ...I'd much rather we respect ourselves more than that
    I was quite happy with the amount of them that were at the play of game.

That's plenty. 1200/1500?

There is two ways to look at this.

Do we go into the game with the full first team all guns blazing? If we do that and give the Zombies a doing it will be a psychological advantage, but it will also mean we have shown our hand early and I don't think Warburton will be daft enough not to learn from it. If we do that and lose we show our hand and start the season on a downer.

Do we play a mixture of youth and experience? If we win we give ourselves a huge psychological advantage. If we lose in that scenario we still haven't given them much to work with as far as working out what sort of a challenge we will be in the league.

I would play the back 4 as usual, apart from left back where I would give a start to the young lad folk seem to rate on here, sorry I've forgotten his name ( Dunsmore? ), but I would mix up the midfield and forwards or even experiment a wee bit up front. Perhaps give Handling a start and put Carmichael in the hole rather than the wing, that sort of thing.