hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, you're the Hibs manager...

How do you go out and play against Rangers? Me, well I'd probably insist to the media that I'll be playing a fill strength team, whilst actually preparing the reserves and youth players during training.

i do not care for the petrofac cup, or for the fact its against Rangers. The Yams last season showed that the quicker you're out of that cup, the better.

lets hear yours.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'd give 7000 tickets to them at £25, buy an extra player and play our development team against them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd give 7000 tickets to them at £25, buy an extra player and play our development team against them.
    You think they could get 7000 turning up ?? And as for even the idea of it - horrible. I'd rather have one player less and give them no tickets

@hibs.net private member
    I couldn't care less about winning the Petrofac Cup but beating Rangers could maybe give us an advantage over them going into the season. The match will also come too early for them and I would probably play my first choice team.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    I couldn't care less about winning the Petrofac Cup but beating Rangers could maybe give us an advantage over them going into the season. The match will also come too early for them and I would probably play my first choice team.
    There is already another thread where people have made their views clear and it's fair to say opinion is split on this one .
    But Stubbs has made it clear he is looking forward to the game and it's his view that counts .He clearly won't take any risks with players carrying a knock ,but judging by his comments so far he will put out a team he thinks is ca able of getting a result Any new players however could get a run out possibly so he may not play the 11 who will start the first league game .having said that in the game at ibrox last year handling Stanton and Harris all played and played some good football and we looked capable of going on to win the game till till handling I think it was got sent off ,so maybe any development squad player who Stubbs has his eye on as potential first team material will get there chance.

All for beating the Huns, but Hibs need to concentrate 100% on the league. If that means playing our dev team, and forfeiting the game, so be it.

Blog Entries
    I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but tough. All this talk about turning noses up at this competition is snobby and patronising, as if we're above this diddy competition. The fact is that this is a competition designed for the level that we were rubbish enough to descend to and we should participate with a reasonable degree of seriousness. The other clubs at our low level are entitled to play against every team at this level so we should respect this and just get on with it. To me this is what Stubbs' take on it is. Yes, we are improving and hopeful of big things this season but let's not get ahead of ourselves and treat our peer opponents with disdain.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    There is already another thread where people have made their views clear and it's fair to say opinion is split on this one .
    But Stubbs has made it clear he is looking forward to the game and it's his view that counts .He clearly won't take any risks with players carrying a knock ,but judging by his comments so far he will put out a team he thinks is ca able of getting a result Any new players however could get a run out possibly so he may not play the 11 who will start the first league game .having said that in the game at ibrox last year handling Stanton and Harris all played and played some good football and we looked capable of going on to win the game till till handling I think it was got sent off ,so maybe any development squad player who Stubbs has his eye on as potential first team material will get there chance.
    The question was what would I do if I was Hibs manager, not Stubbs.

Blog Entries
    The question was what would I do if I was Hibs manager, not Stubbs.
    I think my answer's obvious then.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but tough. All this talk about turning noses up at this competition is snobby and patronising, as if we're above this diddy competition. The fact is that this is a competition designed for the level that we were rubbish enough to descend to and we should participate with a reasonable degree of seriousness. The other clubs at our low level are entitled to play against every team at this level so we should respect this and just get on with it. To me this is what Stubbs' take on it is. Yes, we are improving and hopeful of big things this season but let's not get ahead of ourselves and treat our peer opponents with disdain.
    It's nothing to do with disdain for our opponents. I just don't think this cup should even exist to start with. It's a patronising cup just like that Football League trophy in England - "oh you're not good enough to compete with the Premier League sides, have a diddy cup to have your moment"

If clubs want a chance of winning a cup, strive to become better and have a go at the League Cup or the Scottish Cup. Winning the Petrofac Cup would mean nothing.

Blog Entries
    It's nothing to do with disdain for our opponents. I just don't think this cup should even exist to start with. It's a patronising cup just like that Football League trophy in England - "oh you're not good enough to compete with the Premier League sides, have a diddy cup to have your moment"

If clubs want a chance of winning a cup, strive to become better and have a go at the League Cup or the Scottish Cup. Winning the Petrofac Cup would mean nothing.
    If this was the view of all the participating clubs then I would respect your viewpoint. If the majority of clubs don't want it, they should make enough noise to have the competition done away with. While it's there, I think we have to give it credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Good post - we really should treat every game with a "reasonable degree of seriousness" or even more than that ...

If I was Stubbs, I'd be using this game and every game to see where the team is in terms of fitness, skill, and so on and what needs improving for the campaign: the tougher the opposition the better, the incentive of a "cup" is not something this club should be turning up its nose at ... If I was in Stubbs' shoes, every game would be worth winning and competing for with our strongest team ...

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I'd assess the squad I have, find my strongest 11 and play them with the hope of progressing to the next round of the tournament we're in. I'd expect my boss to want me to do this, I'd expect the players to want to win it and I'd expect the fans to want to win it.
    Mon the Hibs.

We should field the first choice team in the game as we should be trying to win this competition.

Considering the league as first priority, we want to get off to a fast start, but our pre-season games are against lower division opposition as will be the first round of the league cup. The Petrofac game is the first opportunity for a fully competitive game for the first choice team.

We should also consider the effect on The Rangers. Their supporters are more likely to return in numbers if they get off to a good start, and that will give them more money to spend on players. The more games they lose the more precarious their finances get and the fewer additional players they can sign.

All these reasons point to fielding the best team available.

Shoot the Hun down in flames! They will be unprepared (a bit like us last season) so give them a good kicking (scoreline not physically).

Any Hibs manager should be looking to win EVERY game even pre season friendlies.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowHibee View Post
    How do you go out and play against Rangers? Me, well I'd probably insist to the media that I'll be playing a fill strength team, whilst actually preparing the reserves and youth players during training.

i do not care for the petrofac cup, or for the fact its against Rangers. The Yams last season showed that the quicker you're out of that cup, the better.

lets hear yours.
    What a ridiculous statement. We were out in the first round and we didn't win the league.

How anyone can want us to take a pumping off Rangers is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    What a ridiculous statement. We were out in the first round and we didn't win the league.

How anyone can want us to take a pumping off Rangers is beyond me.
    Exactly, some need a shake
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Full strength team and give Rangers a good beating, gives all the players a great morale boost to beat them and start the season with confidence soaring, play some youngsters in the 2nd round once we're through.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    What does ull mean in the thread title?

Was wondering that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Full strength team and give Rangers a good beating, gives all the players a great morale boost to beat them and start the season with confidence soaring, play some youngsters in the 2nd round once we're through.
    Win round one, then throw the comp? Don't get that logic
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

I don't care about the petrofac cup at all but this is a chance to put early pressure on their new management team. Full squad please.

I'd personally be treating it as a competitive friendly, but it's against Sevco and not a "minnow" so I want us to dismantle them in front of a national TV audience. The players will be WELL up for this game by the way, make no mistake, considering how last season ended they'll be wanting this one big time.

If we weren't playing this game we'd be playing some friendly or other.

We should be fine-tuning our team for the start of the league by that point. It is a brilliant dress-rehearsal for the start of the league season and a chance to see how far we've come.

It might come around a bit early for them too - it would be nice for us to demoralise them early.

Full-strength team please.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Win round one, then throw the comp? Don't get that logic

Did I say throw the cup, please point to where I said that, I said play some youngsters, which this cup is generally used for, I'm not saying play the full development squad but it's a chance to play a few young guys for the experience but just not against them in round one. Once again someone on Hibs.net taking a post and changing the words to suit their own agenda, this site really annoys me at times.

What a load of Tosh saying "play this and play" that a FOOTBALLER should want to win every game and play in every game also more game more money coming in

in the pro season the following are up for winning
    League
    Scottish cup
    League Cup
    petrofac cup

Let me tell you if i was the manager i want all four and if my players don't then they would not play for me

Quote Originally Posted by happiehibbie View Post
    What a load of Tosh saying "play this and play" that a FOOTBALLER should want to win every game and play in every game also more game more money coming in

League
    Scottish cup
    League Cup
    petrofac cup

Let me tell you if i was the manager i want all four and if my players don't then they would not play for me
    Spot on.

A question for those that think the Petrofac Cup is just as valid a competition as the Scottish or League Cups......

If we won it, would you want an open topped bus parade through Edinburgh as celebration?

So only competitons that involve the premiership sides are worth winning? Best not win this championship then...

Quote Originally Posted by happiehibbie View Post

League
    Scottish cup
    League Cup
    petrofac cup

The point is the players who are selected will want to win regardless of who plays, ultimately the players selected may not be good enough. I would play a mix of experienced players who need a game and some youngsters if we win great if we get beat (not humped as suggested in other posts) no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I'd assess the squad I have, find my strongest 11 and play them with the hope of progressing to the next round of the tournament we're in. I'd expect my boss to want me to do this, I'd expect the players to want to win it and I'd expect the fans to want to win it.