hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    OK let's summarise the summer..... For the record I am not calling any of the naysayers out in this post.

We have a whole load a fans complaining we are too soft as a club and need to stand up for our selves more.
    There are fans complaining we might take this tournament seriously.

Our biggest rivals in the league this year and the excuse is "Not a trophy I'd lose sleep over"

So it's ok to be selective about our internal fortitude or do we play every game to win?

Imagine the chant from the East, "We don't care if we go out today" That's setting the benchmark for the team.

Then we get to the players. Development team runs out and gets humped 0-9 by the F£$%^&g H***. No worry lads - we'll still support you evermore? Aye right. This place would be in meltdown. The Rangers are everything that's wrong with Scottish Football. Giving them their erse to play with in the first game should only be the first priority.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Everyone who goes should get double loyalty points

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Read Stubbs views on the game, they won't be taking it lightly, nor should they.....

I want Hibs to win EVERY game they play in.......
    I wouldn't expect Stubbs to say anything else. He's never going to state publicly that Hibs will take this, or any other tournament, lightly.

I also want Hibs to win EVERY game they play in.

What I'm saying is that the Challenge Cup isn't, and shouldn't, be this club's priority. Nowhere near it. It should be bottom of the priorities this season.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    OK let's summarise the summer..... For the record I am not calling any of the naysayers out in this post.

We have a whole load a fans complaining we are too soft as a club and need to stand up for our selves more.
    There are fans complaining we might take this tournament seriously.

Our biggest rivals in the league this year and the excuse is "Not a trophy I'd lose sleep over"

So it's ok to be selective about our internal fortitude or do we play every game to win?

Imagine the chant from the East, "We don't care if we go out today" That's setting the benchmark for the team.

Then we get to the players. Development team runs out and gets humped 0-9 by the F£$%^&g H***. No worry lads - we'll still support you evermore? Aye right. This place would be in meltdown. The Rangers are everything that's wrong with Scottish Football. Giving them their erse to play with in the first game should only be the first priority.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    I wouldn't expect Stubbs to say anything else. He's never going to state publicly that Hibs will take this, or any other tournament, lightly.

I also want Hibs to win EVERY game they play in.

What I'm saying is that the Challenge Cup isn't, and shouldn't, be this club's priority. Nowhere near it. It should be bottom of the priorities this season.
    Was AS lying then? Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Everyone who goes should get double loyalty points
    You and your points

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Hibs priority should be to try and win every competition they enter. Lets not start dismissing certain cups like the maroon goons do. Winning and success breeds more.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Hibs priority should be to try and win every competition they enter. Lets not start dismissing certain cups like the maroon goons do. Winning and success breeds more.
    Exactly, winning games early is a great trait, and will make us hungrier, and more confident.....

No, he wasn't lying, as far as I know. Why would he tell lies? He was saying what any manager would say to the media IMHO.

But I wonder what AS would prefer? Winning promotion this season, or winning the Challenge Cup? Maybe ask AS which he, the CEO, the Hibs board and the Hibs support would prefer.

I think I know what the answer to that question would be. That's what I mean by priorities.

Not read the thread but I for one am looking forward to this.

It's a chance to beat Rangers, a chance to make ourselves hot favourites for a trophy and a chance to land the 1st psychological blow in a huge season.

Bring it on and **** the Rangers.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

It didn't do them any harm last season.

I've heard from a Hearts supporter that what Levein says, goes, at PBS. That came from him last season. He was not interested in the Challenge cup.

It didn't do them any harm last season.

I've heard from a Hearts supporter that what Levein says, goes, at PBS. That came from him last season. He was not interested in the Challenge cup.
    Couldn't give a flying ****, I want my team to try and win every comp they enter. Always been my opinion even with Liverpool.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbie_Cameron View Post
    Linlithgowhibee is too blame for us drawing Rangers

Guilty as charged!!!!!!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

He's a football manager, they ALL lie. I'd say he's being very economical with the truth, yes he like all of us wants to win the tie. Yet if we lose but get promoted, nobody will be remotely bothered about losing a first round tie in the petrofac cup.

Couldn't give a flying ****, I want my team to try and win every comp they enter. Always been my opinion even with Liverpool.
    That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. It's not shared by many I'm afraid, because a lot of Hibs supporters (and supporters I know of some other clubs) couldn't give a flying **** about this tournament either.

I seem to be having trouble getting my point across here. If Hibs win this second rate tournament then that's fine too. My point is simply this. It's not as important as winning promotion this season, winning the Scottish FA Cup, or the Scottish League Cup. In that order.

This competition, for me anyway, comes bottom of the list.
    Last edited by emerald green; 29-06-2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Typo

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. It's not shared by many I'm afraid, because a lot of Hibs supporters (and supporters I know of some other clubs) couldn't give a flying **** about this tournament either.

I seem to be having trouble getting my point across here. If Hibs win this second rate tournament then that's fine too. My point is simply this. It's not as important as winning promotion this season, winning the Scottish FA Cup, or the Scottish League Cup. In that order.

Thats it pretty well summed up for me, would still like to win it though, but won't lose sleep over it if i dont.

Why didn't you just say that then ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Thats it pretty well summed up for me, would still like to win it though, but won't lose sleep over it if i dont.

Why didn't you just say that then ;-)
    Cos I'm a donkey.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar

Strange post...I've not read one post where anyone has put this cup before promotion but plenty saying that winning it would be good for the club and would spur the team on to promotion if a winning mentality was created...think negative then ultimately your aspirations are low

Coaching Staff
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Strange post...I've not read one post where anyone has put this cup before promotion but plenty saying that winning it would be good for the club and would spur the team on to promotion if a winning mentality was created...think negative then ultimately your aspirations are low

Some good points, although there are a lot of clubs who blood a few of their youngsters in the early rounds of the league cup.

This cup is below the league and Scottish cup, i don't think there is any denying this. I'd have thought if we'd drawn one of the minnows in this, we'd have done the same.

The draw pretty much knocks that on the head.

@hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linlithgowhibbie View Post
    Guilty as charged!!!!!!
    To be fair you never looked best pleased

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Strange in what way? You seem to have totally missed the point I'm making.

It's got nothing whatsoever with thinking negatively. My point all along has been about the club's priorities, in which the Challenge Cup comes bottom IMHO.

My hopes and aspirations are very high - that means winning promotion. That is a far higher aspiration, and takes priority over, what is effectively a competition for lower league teams. Once Hibs are back in the Premier division nobody will give this tournament a second thought.

Winning the Challenge Cup may, or may not, as you say "spur the team on to promotion if a winning mentality was created". Who knows? It would be great if it did. Is that positive enough?

On the "negative" side though, what if Hibs get beaten by The Rangers in the first round? Would that mean Hibs would not win promotion? Of course not. What nonsense.

EDIT: Time for me to call it a day on this I think.
    Last edited by emerald green; 29-06-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbie_Cameron View Post
    To be fair you never looked best pleased

We drew Clyde at ER in the practice draw with Sevco going to St Mirren. Tony Fitzpatrick thought it was the real draw and was delighted till he was reminded it was a practice!!!

PS 10/10 for Tony F he was a true gent and dead easy to talk to. Said to me " I wish I had your height as a player," I replied that I wish I had had his ability when I played!!!

We drew Clyde at ER in the practice draw with Sevco going to St Mirren. Tony Fitzpatrick thought it was the real draw and was delighted till he was reminded it was a practice!!!

PS 10/10 for Tony F he was a true gent and dead easy to talk to. Said to me " I wish I had your height as a player," I replied that I wish I had had his ability when I played!!!

Good job Brian, did you get to keep the petrofac t-shirt? Any other goodies?

Strange in what way? You seem to have totally missed the point I'm making.

It's got nothing whatsoever with thinking negatively. My point all along has been about the club's priorities, in which the Challenge Cup comes bottom IMHO.

My hopes and aspirations are very high - that means winning promotion. That is a far higher aspiration, and takes priority over, what is effectively a competition for lower league teams. Once Hibs are back in the Premier division nobody will give this tournament a second thought.

Winning the Challenge Cup may, or may not, as you say "spur the team on to promotion if a winning mentality was created". Who knows? It would be great if it did. Is that positive enough?

On the "negative" side though, what if Hibs get beaten by The Rangers in the first round? Would that mean Hibs would not win promotion? Of course not. What nonsense.

EDIT: Time for me to call it a day on this I think.
    It's a trophy, and may very well be the first of our quadrupole ?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Some good points, although there are a lot of clubs who blood a few of their youngsters in the early rounds of the league cup.

This cup is below the league and Scottish cup, i don't think there is any denying this. I'd have thought if we'd drawn one of the minnows in this, we'd have done the same.

The draw pretty much knocks that on the head.
    I'm not so sure we would have. There is only 3 games listed for the first team in pre season. I think Stubbs might have been planning to field a near full team and use it to get them ready for the first league game regardless of the draw.

Be interesting to see how he treats it if we progress.

Good job Brian, did you get to keep the petrofac t-shirt? Any other goodies?
    Yes, Scabby Petrofact T shirt and also blagged the leather ball off the counter. Tried to get a couple of hospitality tkts for the tie off the Hibs director who was there (name slips my mind but he was quite pleasant/polite) with no success!!!!

All the Petrofact guys were pleasant as was my co presenter in red.

Also spoke to Ian Murray who was really pleasant as always.(except when he gave us the fingers at hunbrox!!!)

PS spoke to Airdrie, QoTS, DAFC, FFC and Annan fans who all said they wanted us to beat the gers. Then spoke to two sevco fans ,,,,, they were almost polite but didn't want us !

Me and the missus are going to be in the Buddies match day magazine hopefully when Hibs visit, the St Mirren officials were really nice folk

Yes, Scabby Petrofact T shirt and also blagged the leather ball off the counter. Tried to get a couple of hospitality tkts for the tie off the Hibs director who was there (name slips my mind but he was quite pleasant/polite) with no success!!!!

All the Petrofact guys were pleasant as was my co presenter in red.

Also spoke to Ian Murray who was really pleasant as always.(except when he gave us the fingers at hunbrox!!!)

PS spoke to Airdrie, QoTS, DAFC, FFC and Annan fans who all said they wanted us to beat the gers. Then spoke to two sevco fans ,,,,, they were almost polite but didn't want us !

Me and the missus are going to be in the Buddies match day magazine hopefully when Hibs visit, the St Mirren officials were really nice folk
    Excellent, not everyday you get to do a football draw.....