hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went to a posh school, played rugby for them and was brought up in Leith playing footie in the links with my mates and latterly for Edina Hibs.

The posh school comment was made because football is generally never played there, he went to Edinburgh Academy, one of the poshest in Edinburgh, I'm challenging the lads Heart for the game and does he really want to be a footballer. There are times when I watch him and he looks so quick and almost unbeatable, than other times he looks like a sheep lost in a field full of wolves. Does he have the guts and determination to be a top pro, I have my doubts but would loved to be proven wrong, just like with Handling and Stanton who have also been very disappointing.
    No one plays football at school, not if they aspire to be a professional footballer. That stopped several decades ago, maybe more.

Not sure that which school Harris attended has any bearing on anything to do with his courage or desire to succeed. If we are dealing with stereotypes and cliches then it might be fair to say that Edinburgh's fee paying attendees are generally more confident and full of self-belief. Ideal qualities.

Best just stick to what you see and quite rightly that would lead you to question Harris's commitment and talent. As you say, Stanton and Handling have the same issues and no one gives a **** about which school they went to.

As for the wider issue. The message is that they are free to leave. If they were valued by Stubbs then that would not apply. The rationale is obvious and I agree that. The trio concerned have all failed to make an impact. I would be surprised if they go on to better things, good luck to them and thanks for the effort.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I am suggesting just that.

Although he is a very good footballer, sometimes your background and upbringing also dictates what kind of mentality you will have.

For years this was put forward as the reason why British tennis was in the doldrums for years.

Too many Buster Mottrams and Andrew Castles.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Its a difficult one, but Hibs have got it right far far more often than they have got it wrong over the years and whilst one of these three might be the exception to the rule you can only wait for potential to be realised for so long.

FWIW I think they all have attributes but should all have delivered on them by now.

My biggest regret of the 3 is Harris

Its so long (Ivan first time around) since we had a real winger that I had very high hopes for Alex

I sincerely hope that he goes on to resurrect his career elsewhere

I do wonder though if he will forever be seen as mercurial talent either devastatingly good or bad, often in the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Hibees View Post
    Beefster, to answer your question...if it's true that are free to find another club then this means we would release them from contract.

As others have indicated this may be kick up bum maneuver by AS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    It's not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    No -there was a claim that BBC had said they were released-it's not true.What you seem to be saying is that they have been told they are surplus to requirements unless they are playing well.Is there any player not in that category?

You seem very confused, 1st quote states what Stubbs said himself in his interview, they are not in his plans, if they want to stay fair enough but the club will not stand in their way if another club wants them.

You said it's NOT true.

Then you claim to have seen it on the BBC website, which has nothing to do with what we were talking about which was Stubbs's interview.

The players are deemed surplus to requirements having not stepped up last season when needed, they are at an age when they should really be vying for a regular start and giving the manager headaches in his team selection but they are not.

@hibs.net private member
    Looks like there is some interest in Handling and Stanton to go on LOAN

No mention of Harris

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...s-says-5979437

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertK86 View Post
    Looks like there is some interest in Handling and Stanton to go on LOAN

No mention of Harris

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...s-says-5979437
    There seems to be a media embargo on Harris ,so we will find out soon enough if he travels with squad on pre season and gets his opportunity or whether Carmichael and Boyle have sealed his fate .
    having tasted first team football at higher level you would think he would not be happy just being a squad player now

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    There seems to be a media embargo on Harris ,so we will find out soon enough if he travels with squad on pre season and gets his opportunity or whether Carmichael and Boyle have sealed his fate .
    having tasted first team football at higher level you would think he would not be happy just being a squad player now
    Ronnie, maybe not interested in loaning Harris until Martin Boyle is fit, might leave us a bit short in the wide areas

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Ronnie, maybe not interested in loaning Harris until Martin Boyle is fit, might leave us a bit short in the wide areas
    Very good point

Maybe that is exactly the kind of challenge that Harris is needing?

He plays well enough then he gets to stay and continue to fight for his place. And for that he will need to start running at men again…..

If he doesn't then he goes on loan with no guarantees that he will have any future upon his return.

There is a player in there but he really frustrates me.

If Harris can get anywhere near the player he was when he burst onto the scene, then he could be an important player for us as pace and trickery are invaluable. Having time away from the club and the pressures will hopefully have helped, now lest see what Stubbs and co. can do to get him going again.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Hibees View Post
    Bbc reporting both released. Quite surprised to be honest but trust AS and assume better players on way in...if accurate that is.
    I take that as further proof that Stubbs knows a player.

Good move for Hibs I feel.

Right enough ,makes sense Billy

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Sam is still at easter road fact.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    Sam is still at easter road fact.

have to say I rate sammy - would be disappointing to see him go....

Coaching Staff
    If Harris can get anywhere near the player he was when he burst onto the scene, then he could be an important player for us as pace and trickery are invaluable. Having time away from the club and the pressures will hopefully have helped, now lest see what Stubbs and co. can do to get him going again.
    I acknowledge his undisputed pace, but not the alleged trickery bit.

Whenever I have seen him his repertoire was limited to simply knocking the ball past his defender and using his pace to get past him.

Even the Yams worked out that all you need is a second defender a few feet behind the first one to cancel that out.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I acknowledge his undisputed pace, but not the alleged trickery bit.

Whenever I have seen him his repertoire was limited to simply knocking the ball past his defender and using his pace to get past him.

Even the Yams worked out that all you need is a second defender a few feet behind the first one to cancel that out.
    Arthur Duncan played the same way with some success.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    I hope we do keep Harris and Stanton.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Agree with this, in the games I saw him involved in last season, thought he used the ball well. The