hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wummin's footie

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha. You've played with players at the Pitz that are better than any player at the WWC. Aye right.
    Aye

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post
    Everytime I read or hear someone slating women's football I just smile knowing that all the women who made it to the top leagues could probably run rings around those dismissing women playing the sport...

I was involved in the women's setup a few years ago and some of my team mates then went on to play for SWPL / first division teams. The girls at the top put in alot of hard work and determination just to make it up there. Many SWPL players juggle full time employment around training and matches because women's football itself (in Scotland) is not yet a paying career.

Put it this way when you watch mens football, most of the time you are watching those who make a quite-to-very well paid salary for something they do full time. When you watch women's, the majority are squeezing in work and a sport they feel passionate to play and yet can still perform at the entertaining level the WWC has shown us so far.

.....Maybe something to consider before folk jump to dismiss the sport.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Very well said.
    I was lucky enough to take in the France v USA game at Hampden during the Olympics and it was a fantastic occasion.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post
    Everytime I read or hear someone slating women's football I just smile knowing that all the women who made it to the top leagues could probably run rings around those dismissing women playing the sport...

I was involved in the women's setup a few years ago and some of my team mates then went on to play for SWPL / first division teams. The girls at the top put in alot of hard work and determination just to make it up there. Many SWPL players juggle full time employment around training and matches because women's football itself (in Scotland) is not yet a paying career.

Put it this way when you watch mens football, most of the time you are watching those who make a quite-to-very well paid salary for something they do full time. When you watch women's, the majority are squeezing in work and a sport they feel passionate to play and yet can still perform at the entertaining level the WWC has shown us so far.

.....Maybe something to consider before folk jump to dismiss the sport.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    Excellent post IMHO
    Why shouldn't girls/women play sports that men play ?
    As I posted earlier my teenage g/daughter plays rugby school/club and has just told me she is going to play " summer football" this year
    Sport is an important part of anyone ones life if they are lucky enough to stay fit and well !!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It's ***** as far as I'm concerned. I've heard folk say you shouldn't compare it to the mans game, which of course you should, it's the same game just played much worse.

I read something from one of the England players, Aluko maybe, saying just that, don't compare it to men's football, it's different. Now this morning the manager guy is comparing what they've achieved to England men getting to the World Cup semis in '66 and '90. Nah mate, it's more the equivalent of me winning my pitz league in 1998.
    Your last sentence makes you out to be a bit of a fool tbh.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    Excellent post IMHO
    Why shouldn't girls/women play sports that men play ?
    As I posted earlier my teenage g/daughter plays rugby school/club and has just told me she is going to play " summer football" this year
    Sport is an important part of anyone ones life if they are lucky enough to stay fit and well !!

I dont think anyone is saying that, i personally think its great girls and boys take up ANY sport?

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I know it's pish. That's kind of the whole point I was making.

And aye, they would give us a decent game. But that says it all really.
    Agreed.

Swedish womens team played against a local boys under 17 team who were a man short about 2 years ago and the boys won 3 -0.

Strongbow also flew a team of male amateurs from portsmouth to play a brazilian proffesional womens team last year. The men won 7 -1....

It would be interesting to see examples of women beating men if they exist of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Agreed.

Swedish womens team played against a local boys under 17 team who were a man short about 2 years ago and the boys won 3 -0.

Strongbow also flew a team of male amateurs from portsmouth to play a brazilian proffesional womens team last year. The men won 7 -1....

It would be interesting to see examples of women beating men if they exist of course.
    Taking the UK as an example. The average male is just under 5'11" and weighs 13.5 stone, an average woman is 5'3" and weighs a shade over 11 stone. With such a huge physical advantage in a physical game is it any wonder an average male side would beat an elite womens side?

I think people are spectacularly missing the point, it's not about what England Ladies could do against an obscure amateur side but about accepting and recognising achievement in the sport in it's own right. The WWC is elite level sport for women, comparisons to men are pointless.

By the same logic I could argue Floyd Mayweather is a rubbish boxer because he would lose to Tyson Fury. I wouldn't though because it's ridiculous, as is comparing men v women in a sports where physicality plays a huge part.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Taking the UK as an example. The average male is just under 5'11" and weighs 13.5 stone, an average woman is 5'3" and weighs a shade over 11 stone. With such a huge physical advantage in a physical game is it any wonder an average male side would beat an elite womens side?

I think people are spectacularly missing the point, it's not about what England Ladies could do against an obscure amateur side but about accepting and recognising achievement in the sport in it's own right. The WWC is elite level sport for women, comparisons to men are pointless.

By the same logic I could argue Floyd Mayweather is a rubbish boxer because he would lose to Tyson Fury. I wouldn't though because it's ridiculous, as is comparing men v women in a sports where physicality plays a huge part.
    Its not pointless to compare womens and mens football in fact i think it is a very interesting comparison....plenty of people on here are doing so and some are saying that women from the world cup would run rings round amateur men. There doesnt appear to be much actual evidence of that though imo but i reckon Marta would be playing at a pretty high level in the mens game!

I have certainly enjoyed watching the games i have seen from the wwc

Ps the best male footballer in the world is 5ft 6 and 10.5 stone!
    Last edited by LaMotta; 28-06-2015 at 05:08 PM.

We have a female at Golf Cub playing off 2, probably in the top 1-2% lowest handicaps in Club, should she stop playing because more men are members?

Women's World Cup has been enjoyable, the elite females in their game......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Agreed.

See below.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    The German Ladies team played a warm-up match against a (male) Bavarian village team. This is Amateurs mind, playing in a Sunday League in public parks in the mountains of Bavaria.

In a close fought and very competitively played match, the German Ladies team won 3-2. Germany had played their first choice eleven.

Guessing those panning the women's game, would not be pleased if Hibs Ladie's lifted their Scottish Cup?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    See below.
    Cheers i missed that earlier!!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Guessing those panning the women's game, would not be pleased if Hibs Ladie's lifted their Scottish Cup?
    I'd be happy for them. Wouldn't watch it on the telly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    I can genuinely say I'd take very little notice of it. But, of course, I'd rather they won it than another team.