hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hibs and English Clubs

I've been living abroad for a wee while now and been neglecting English football for as long as possible. It seems that every single person outside of Scotland supports either Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool. However, with a new season coming up in the next couple of months, I've decided to give it a bash: my question is, are there any English teams that Hibs have/have had a friendly connection with? I'd be more interested in Championship clubs, to be honest, but if it needs to be Premiership then ideally not one of the aforementioned teams!

2. Log in to remove the advert

I have lost interest in English football tbh. I even cancelled Sky Sports yesterday. The money is crazy and is making a mess of football IMO, so I don't want to be part of it. Teams like Burnley and Hull having bigger wage bills than Ajax and the likes is making a mock of football.

I really hope Sky go bust although I can't see it happening. I hope BT winning all Champions League and Europa League rights gives Sky a fright.

P.S. sorry for going slightly off topic 😃

Im from South wales originally so i'm a Cardiff City fan. Had a season ticket until I moved here and now have a season ticket at ER.

You're right about Liverpool, Man U etc. Back home in south Wales it was all Liverpool/Man U/Arsenal etc. There's even a liverpool supporters shop in Newport!! When I was In scholl everyone supported Man U etc. I clearly rmemeber one lad making fun of me for wearing my Cardiff shirt to school dress down whilst dressed in his Liverpool kit. Cardiff were in the bottom division at the time but I saw him about 10 years later at the FA cup final in a Cardiff kit!!! How times have changed!!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Those of a certain vintage will remember ourepic games against Leeds Utd.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Our current manager has a very strong connection to Everton.

They're a great club.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by vercol36 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been living abroad for a wee while now and been neglecting English football for as long as possible. It seems that every single person outside of Scotland supports either Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool. However, with a new season coming up in the next couple of months, I've decided to give it a bash: my question is, are there any English teams that Hibs have/have had a friendly connection with? I'd be more interested in Championship clubs, to be honest, but if it needs to be Premiership then ideally not one of the aforementioned teams!
    You would be supprised at how many in Scotland now support English teams, all about media hype and glory hunting I'm afraid.

We seem to have had several players in common with Everton - Joe Harper anyone? - and there must be some links through Stubbs in this present era.

Can't think of any others. You could look at English clubs who have had former glories and are now languishing a bit. Wolves, West Ham, Forest, Leeds, Blackburn.....but you might have to go down a division or two.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Spurs are my English team

Follow West Ham and hate Millwall.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    You would be supprised at how many in Scotland now support English teams, all about media hype and glory hunting I'm afraid.
    Maybe it is a bit, but given how easy it is to follow English football (MOTD is a good show, a billion times better than our equivalent) in the modern age, and given the quality of the players on show down there, I find it difficult to argue with someone if they were to support an English team instead of a Scottish one.

I used to quite like Liverpool when I was about 13/14 (funnily enough, now I cant stand them), but I've never really supported any English team.

If you don't have any kind of an emotional connection to your local team, why not support just any old team that might win something, that plays good football, and has quality players?

I like Liverpool and I like Everton.

If they win then fine.

If they lose then fine.

Support Hibs and Scotland and that's it.

Can't see why anybody has to support an English team if they don't have any connection to them. Hate seeing old guys in the pub with Man City or Chelsea strips on pretending to be supporters when they are clearly Scottish and are just glory hunters big time. Dafties.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    If you don't have any kind of an emotional connection to your local team, why not support just any old team that might win something, that plays good football, and has quality players?
    I support my local team in Bolton Wanderers, but 'chose' to support Hibs. Fair to say I'm happier with my choice than if I'd chosen either of the ugly sisters. Endured more than my fair share of relegations though.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Hibs are my number 1 by FAR! I lived down south for 13 years and my best friend is an Everton fan, so have kinda adopted them. Watch their games on tv and try to get down to 1 game a season. Also keep an eye out for Crewe Alex results as thats where I lived.

Coaching Staff
    Maybe it is a bit, but given how easy it is to follow English football (MOTD is a good show, a billion times better than our equivalent) in the modern age, and given the quality of the players on show down there, I find it difficult to argue with someone if they were to support an English team instead of a Scottish one.

I used to quite like Liverpool when I was about 13/14 (funnily enough, now I cant stand them), but I've never really supported any English team.

Yip agree, good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Spurs are my English team
    My pal in London watches Spurs. He slags off Poch every week for poor tactics and subs and yet they still qualified for Europe.

Thanks for your suggestions folks...after some half-hearted, lunch-break research, I'm being strangely drawn towards Preston North End...

I follow West Ham and have a soft spot for Southampton (having lived there and my God son is a fan).

But Hibs are the only team that can make my weekend and also ruin it!

Hibs and The Patriots of course

Thanks for your suggestions folks...after some half-hearted, lunch-break research, I'm being strangely drawn towards Preston North End...
    Well their fans are long-suffering obsessives so it shouldn't be too much of a culture shock!

@hibs.net private member

If that were true all the other grounds would be empty. There are a lot of glory hunters (especially amongst show biz types) but still many well supported clubs in all parts of the country. You strangely don't mention the OF followers getting buses from everywhere to Glasgow so it's not an English problem, it's fairly universal.
    I have worked all over the UK and I know many people (in England, Scotland and Wales) who support a (smallish) local team and also have a second team so that they can have an interest in cup finals etc. which they don't get from their local side. I always support the local side and have attended many home games at Bristol City, Newcastle, Morton and Cardiff while I worked in those places. My late dad was a Millwall supporter but never went to matches as he worked all hours supporting a large family (nine kids) and so I never got taken to games. When I decided to support a team I went with Palace (I had a choice of Palace, Charlton or Millwall who were equidistant from my house) as they played better football at the time. When I came to Edinburgh over 33 years ago I became an ST holder at Easter Road as from all the Scottish football I had seen on tv they were the best to watch - they still had Stanton, Brownlie, Blackley, Schaedler, Cropley etc at that time so I got a bit spoilt. So, I am still an Eagle yet I wear my Hibs top on holiday because that's where I go on a Saturday (it used to be always Saturdays). I call myself a Hibby and I tell all my Jambo colleagues and acquaintances that I support Hibs because I'm a gloryhunter - which gets right on their thrupenny bits. I've seen some great times and games at ER and had many downers too and I'll keep going back. I'm an Eagle and a Hibby and if that upsets anyone - tough sh*t. I am what I am.
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 16-06-2015 at 02:18 PM.

PNE are playing the charity thieves pre season... Sorry, "The Famous"...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    I support my local team in Bolton Wanderers, but 'chose' to support Hibs. Fair to say I'm happier with my choice than if I'd chosen either of the ugly sisters. Endured more than my fair share of relegations though.
    i used to be regular at Burnden Park in the late 70's early 80's but now follow Lincoln City who I started watching with my lads about 15 years ago when my ex wife moved to Newark after our divorce.

There's a few Hibs connections with PNE - not least that we defeated them to become champions of the world in the 19th century.

Chelsea have been my English team since I was 5. Roma are my Italian team.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Like one of the other posters I ditched Sky - I attend Boston Utd and Lincoln City occasionally for a fraction of the cost of Sky every month - the lack of diving and shirt pulling etc in the penalty box is remarkable - its like watching a football match.

No interest in the premiership except that I have two old Chelsea supporting mates who come to Hibs games some times with me so I have no problem seeing them do well. My English team tends to be Forest for the same reason plus I seen quite a lot of them when they were really good and I lived in Leicester so the travel was worth it.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    PNE are playing the charity thieves pre season... Sorry, "The Famous"...
    Always wondered - are they more famous than Preston who I think once played for the Championship of the world, or something like that - no idea who the opposition was though?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Having only been able to watch the occasional European game on TV back in the day, this glory hunter settled on (and stuck with) Nottingham Forest. I've been down to the City Ground for a few games.

If I watch match of the day, then Arsenal play nice football.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Always Hibs first and foremost .. but ..

I also support Newcastle United .. so I think that excludes me from any "glory-hunting" accusations.

My other team got to the Europa Cup final this year
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

I bloody well don't ..... bunch of glory hunting assholes the lot of them and every bit as bad as the ugly sisters hangers on.

Having said that I don't have a problem with folk who have a soft spot for an English team and look for their results or even go to see them from time to time.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 16-06-2015 at 02:42 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I have a slight liking for Liverpool as my English team, I don't know why, I just have. Used to watch Colwyn Bay whenever in North Wales and quite enjoyed it. Some of my best football entertainment comes from Gyle Park at the weekend, you can't beat strolling over and watching random games.

Reading seem to have a lot in common with Hibs besides having me as a supporter.

Players include Grant Brebner (scored the first ever goal at the MadStad), Ulises De La Cruz, Tony Rougier, Michael O'Neill and I believe Matt Busby played for both clubs during the war years - I'm sure there are others.

Besides that, Reading were very nearly 'merged' with their local rivals who were owned by a smug, fat piece of s**t who has since expired and were eventually rescued by a local businessman (now knighted) who made his fortune in a motor-related trade - AutoTrader in Madejski's case.

I'm a Reading STH and never get to Hibs games now, but when Reading lose I'm a bit disappointed - when Hibs lose I'm still gutted. At least Hibs didn't appoint Steve Clarke as their manager.