hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm confident that when Stubbs leaves Hibs it will be his choice.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Notice Sheffield Wednesday have just sacked their manager (seems a strange time to do it). Stubbs has been linked to a couple similar size jobs, wonder if he'll be in the frame for this one?

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Notice Sheffield Wednesday have just sacked their manager (seems a strange time to do it). Stubbs has been linked to a couple similar size jobs, wonder if he'll be in the frame for this one?
    Mark Warburton has been installed as favourite

always thought it was a 3 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    I'd offer a one year extension to the current deal. If he fails to get promoted this season, he can't get a third shot at it. So it would be a big payoff if too long a deal.
    Getting out of this division is no easy task. It wasn't this season and it won't be next. If we don't win the division and we bomb out in the play off's again I'd judge him more over the season than 3 weeks in May. I think he's the manager to move the club forward. Just a shame he's having to do so in this division.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Getting out of this division is no easy task. It wasn't this season and it won't be next. If we don't win the division and we bomb out in the play off's again I'd judge him more over the season than 3 weeks in May. I think he's the manager to move the club forward. Just a shame he's having to do so in this division.
    Agreed he has no control over relative finances available between us, and Rangers, who obviously are our main challengers for promotion.

I think he has clearly shown that a vast improvement has been made.

I think we should be more worried about how we can hang on to him.....as the original post was about, and looking for ways to support him in his endeavours, than as some seem to want to do, putting minimum requirements on what he must do to earn an extension.

My worry is that Stubbs will go of his own volition, not that he will go because we don't want him.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Mark Warburton has been installed as favourite
    that not the same fella who's favourite to get the Zombies job?

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Agreed he has no control over relative finances available between us, and Rangers, who obviously are our main challengers for promotion.

I think we should be more worried about how we can hang on to him.....as the original post was about, and looking for ways to support him in his endeavours, than as some seem to want to do, putting minimum requirements on what he must do to earn an extension.

My worry is that Stubbs will go of his own volition, not that he will go because we don't want him.
    Why be worried about Stubbs going when he chooses? If he does that it'll mean he's done well. If he goes when we decide then it'll probably mean he's getting punted as we are still in the championship.

In any case, I don't think we need to worry about him choosing to leave at the moment. Not for footballing reasons anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    that not the same fella who's favourite to get the Zombies job?
    He's nowhere near favourite for the job now. Ibrox bound according to the bookies.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    He's nowhere near favourite for the job now.
    ah no worries, not been following it that closely recently! who's the favourite now do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    ah no worries, not been following it that closely recently! who's the favourite now do you know?
    Never heard of the chap! 1/5 on Skybet whoever he is.

Warburton 1/3 for Ibrox.

First Team Breakthrough ANDY McGEECHAN's Avatar
    Alan Stubbs to sign a new two year deal this week.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY McGEECHAN View Post
    Alan Stubbs to sign a new two year deal this week.
    opinion or FACT?

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

Think ypu are right ,it's now a catch 22 for us .He has done well enough to alert other clubs that he has potential to be a good manager .if he repeats the same feat this season or takes us up ,his stock is likely to continue to rise ,and I would think there would then be interest in him .So if he Is only on a two year contract ,makes sense to extend that so that , so we would get compensation rather than loose him for nothing .

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    We should be bursting the bank to tie Stubbs up long term. A manager who gets the best out of players and plays the game the way it's meant to. A manager by his very presence can attract quality players. What's not to like?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    We should be bursting the bank to tie Stubbs up long term. A manager who gets the best out of players and plays the game the way it's meant to. A manager by his very presence can attract quality players. What's not to like?
    100 % spot on

Well said.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    If he gets the best out of his players how come we had so many poor results against dreadful teams last season?

I'm nit picking a bit as I do really like Stubbs and I think we'll do well next season, I just think he's got a bit to do to live up to the messiah status some people are building him up to be.

Imo a new contract now is unnecessary and we should wait to see how next season is panning out before considering extending his deal.

Well said.

To be honest, I think this is one of the things that we've done wrong as a club over the past few years. I think the ultra-cautious "don't put them on long contracts so we don't get stung too hard if it doesn't work out" attitude (for contracts for both players AND managers) makes for a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure. If you are going to appoint someone to a position you do it because you believe in them 100% and you should go on to back them and work with them 100%. With that long contract there is an obligation to work with people to get the best out of them - not just go it into half-arsed because you know it isn't too damaging to get rid of them when it doesn't work out.

Stubbs has shown a lot in his time with us that I think he deserves full backing. Ok, we didn't go up last year but he still, from a standing start managed to finish above Rangers and only finished behind a Hearts team who we must all (albeit grudgingly) acknowledge did very well last year. He also appears to me to be good at learning from his mistakes - as a rookie he will make them but he doesn't appear to make them twice. And I'd say that his early transfer dealings this summer are targeted at addressing exactly what our weaknesses were last season.

Even if we don't win the league this year I would imagine it wouldn't be because of anything Stubbs has done wrong but more because Rangers will have got their act together and used their extra resources wisely.

I think he will move on to bigger and better things at some point. But I really can't see a situation any time soon that we would be likely to want to get rid of him. A good, long contract would send out a message.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyLeith View Post
    I think Stubbs had a good first season but I dont think you can say we just about made it out of the league.
    I reckon it's a fair enough statement.
    Finished second and we were in the playoffs.
    With a wee bit more composure in the box we'd have been playing Motherwell.

As for what would have happened against Motherwell - given that in the second leg of the playoff at Easter Road we were all over sevco like a cheap suit I'd doubt we'd have got pumped 6-1. We're a more solid team than them and the confidence of turning over a 2-0 deficit in the semi would have given us a right good chance.