hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 425 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Public transport when combined with a cultural inability to wait and be polite.

Folk wishing to get on a train are unlikely to be able to do so in comfort until everyone getting off the train has done so because said people are standing waiting to get off in the exact same area that people getting on need to transit through before getting to a seat.

So why do folk, here in Switzerland at least, lose all semblance of manners and common sense when getting on a train? Stand the **** back and let everyone off first (my favourite is some dolt with a huge backpack standing slap bang front + centre on the platform as the double doors open - awareness of one's surroundings isn't a strong point over here either).

Another one is men, of any nationality who drape a oh-so-trendy merino wool cardigan over there shoulders and tie the arms over their chest. A speciality when the weather is far too hot to possibly require the garment, and they look absurd.

Pub behaviour is another one touched upon, but a few on my own.

• Folk who walk in 3 minutes before the start of a major and well advertised televised sporting event and look perplexed/fuming that the place is rammed. Although, that's not really a peeve, just a source of amusement.
    • When you're in a larger group and some selfish prats who are in a group of 2 or 3, but sit at a table big enough for 6+ when there's a perfectly good, smaller table right next to them.
    • Finally, and I don't know if this really happens in the UK, but people who clearly think they are a "Sartres/Proust in waiting" sitting in a pub for hours nursing an espresso and small glass of water.
    "Sartres/Proust"?
    Bet I'm not the only one on Hibsnet to google that one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    folk that talk some weird gibberish you need to look up on Google to get a clue what they're on aboot

• Finally, and I don't know if this really happens in the UK, but people who clearly think they are a "Sartres/Proust in waiting" sitting in a pub for hours nursing an espresso and small glass of water.

People used to drive me crazy doing this. My old boozer was in between 4 coffee shops in the centre of an art student heavy city full of coffee shops, chains AND independents. Why did they come into my boozer and get a cup of ***** instant coffee that was probably cost 10p for 10kilos and then sit there for 4 hours reading the Guardian or discussing Marxism! We're a PUB! Drink a BEER!

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Obsessive/compulsives.
    That should really be either "obsessives/compulsives" or "obsessive compulsives".

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    "Sartres/Proust"?
    Bet I'm not the only one on Hibsnet to google that one.
    Possibly Sartres' most famous work was a forerunner of this thread.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Charity fundraisers who attempt to stop you on the street. Always along Princess Street and there are about 3 or 4 of them trying to stop folk and get them to sign up to a Direct Debit.

What me off even more about them is that they all try to stop you, I got asked yesterday by all 4 of them, some of them even try to give you high fves and pish like that. With the first person I am normally just a no thank you and walk on, by the time the 4th person has attempted to get me to stop i'm close to stamping on their head. The work charities do are fantastic but these folk are just .

Pub behaviour is another one touched upon, but a few on my own.

• Folk who walk in 3 minutes before the start of a major and well advertised televised sporting event and look perplexed/fuming that the place is rammed. Although, that's not really a peeve, just a source of amusement.
    • When you're in a larger group and some selfish prats who are in a group of 2 or 3, but sit at a table big enough for 6+ when there's a perfectly good, smaller table right next to them.
    Barman Alert:
    Ordering drinks 1 by 1
    In busy bar waiting to be served but when it's their turn they still have to ask their mate what they want, FFS! know the Round before you get to the bar!!
    Ordering your Guinness LAST!!
    Don't allow your kids to just wander around to bar /restaurant
    "I don't know what the wife wants we'll have to wait until she gets back from the loo" GROW A ****** PAIR!!!
    If we offer Cashback and you say no thanks, then you try and buy your next round with the same card, I'm gonna punch you!!

Sit under the TV then complain that it's too loud
    San Miguel THERE IS NO ******G W IN IT!!!!!!!!!

Graham Spiers Came in once 12:20 am "Do you do Coffee" "****** OFF!!!!" Really enjoyed that !!
    Last edited by Northern Hibby; 10-06-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galahibby View Post
    Just remembered another one... selfish gits at the airport who practically stand on top of the luggage belt so that no-one else can (a) see their cases coming or (b) get them off when they do arrive. Just stand back ffs and go forward when your bags arrive!! 
    This is one of my gripes too. We went to one of the greek islands on holiday and the guy infront of us was going to the same hotel as us (overheard them waffling away during the flight). Turns out he's one of these guys that barges to the front and nobody could get past him to get their cases, so I do the only thing any decent human being would do....................go sit on a seat by the wall with a book and relax until my bags are the only ones left, he must have been sitting on the transfer coach for at least 30-40 minutes waiting on me and the missus. I'll never forget his face, he was absolutely fizzing

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Bacteria and germs find it hard to survive on door handles.
    They survive long enough with the amount of people traffic to be transferred via the door handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Hibby View Post
    Barman Alert:
    Ordering drinks 1 by 1
    In busy bar waiting to be served but when it's their turn they still have to ask their mate what they want, FFS! know the Round before you get to the bar!!
    Ordering your Guinness LAST!!
    Don't allow your kids to just wander around to bar /restaurant
    "I don't know what the wife wants we'll have to wait until she gets back from the loo" GROW A ****** PAIR!!!
    If we offer Cashback and you say no thanks, then you try and buy your next round with the same card, I'm gonna punch you!!

Sit under the TV then complain that it's too loud
    San Miguel THERE IS NO ******G W IN IT!!!!!!!!!

Graham Spiers Came in once 12:20 am "Do you do Coffee" "****** OFF!!!!" Really enjoyed that !!
    Feel your pain, may i add people that come in when live music/dj playing and ask for the volume to be turned down. People that say you should be wearing a mask when you say the price of the drink/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Charity fundraisers who attempt to stop you on the street. Always along Princess Street and there are about 3 or 4 of them trying to stop folk and get them to sign up to a Direct Debit.

What me off even more about them is that they all try to stop you, I got asked yesterday by all 4 of them, some of them even try to give you high fves and pish like that. With the first person I am normally just a no thank you and walk on, by the time the 4th person has attempted to get me to stop i'm close to stamping on their head. The work charities do are fantastic but these folk are just .
    Avoid chuggers at all cost the fees there companies charge the charities can be more than all your first years donations.

Go direct.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    People from Talk Talk broadband, they seem to be everywhere I go trying to sell their****ty broadband.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Arsholes who, when they phone you at work, mumble both their name and organisation so you have to ask them again and they do the same thing except more rattily then it just gets silly.

Being a type one diabetic what really gets to me is when the news reports about diabetes when they actually mean type two, this leads to people not really understanding that there is 3 types of . Which in turn when i say im a diabetic its met with, 'but you're not old or fat'

Summer football threads on the MB

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    TV consumer shows. Just a bunch of nobodies wanting to get offended over nothing. You think that a 99p salmon crumble ready meal doesn't contain enough salmon? Do you not pick that up at 99p and wonder why they can sell it so cheap? Make it yourself with lots of salmon for 99p you ****ing twat. Saw one where they were getting all offended because five different shops sold a fifteen year old a can of Monster energy drink. Of course they ****ing did. It's ****ing legal to do so.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

People whose voices go up in scale towards the end of their sentences. It's an old bugbear this one. I think the Aussies started it. Now almost everyone under a certain age is doing it, especially in places like Costa or Nando's. It's a good excuse not to enter such establishments.

e.g. "I took a year out and worked in a hotel before going to Uni........?"

"Are ye asking me or telling me, pal?"

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    People from Talk Talk broadband, they seem to be everywhere I go trying to sell their****ty broadband.
    This is a major problem in St John's Road, Corstorphine right at the moment. They virtually block the pavement outside the Scotmid store and it's the same spiel every time.

How are they allowed to do that?

I feel an irate email to my councillor coming on.

People whose voices go up in scale towards the end of their sentences. It's an old bugbear this one. I think the Aussies started it. Now almost everyone under a certain age is doing it, especially in places like Costa or Nando's. It's a good excuse not to enter such establishments.

I read somewhere that it is a sign of insecurity? Pretty sure it is was in a psychology book at uni.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

People who use "yeah?" at the end of a sentence. Watched a programme on the telly the other day when some young gym loving prick went up to a stall at a festival and went "I'll have a cheese and red onion toastie, yeah?". The word is please you jumped up little ********.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

People who clog up petrol stations waiting for a pump to become free on the same side as their petrol cap. FFS you can reach either side with the nozzle.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    People who clog up petrol stations waiting for a pump to become free on the same side as their petrol cap. FFS you can reach either side with the nozzle.

Not always!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9-MYIX11iA

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Haha

People who see you waiting to move into their parking place and sit for ages fannying about before eventually driving off.
    People who take ages to drive off at quick changing traffic lights (i.e. coming from Eskbank at Sheriffhall roundabout).
    People who stop at roundabouts when there are no cars on the roundabout.
    People who have big expensive cars who think that their car's size & value gives them priority over other punter road users.
    People who stand behind you in a bar and shout their order to the barman as he is about to take your order.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    People that use eh or em every 3rd word whilst speaking. Is it really so hard to have a think about what you're going to say before you start spouting off?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    People that use eh or em every 3rd word whilst speaking. Is it really so hard to have a think about what you're going to say before you start spouting off?
    Or "like". I'm gritting my teeth having to listen to it on the bus or in the queue at Tesco. Where did it start? IMHO the comedy Tv show Friends.

Has anyone mentioned "speed" bumps yet?

They damage tyres, suspensions and exhausts - and sometimes nearby buildings - even when you go over them at the relevant speed limit. In practice they slow traffic down to a crawl and punish all for the misdemeanours of a few.

What sort of mentality deliberately builds these obstacles into public highways?

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    Has anyone mentioned "speed" bumps yet?

They damage tyres, suspensions and exhausts - and sometimes nearby buildings - even when you go over them at the relevant speed limit. In practice they slow traffic down to a crawl and punish all for the misdemeanours of a few.

What sort of mentality deliberately builds these obstacles into public highways?
    99%

Add to that the 20mph speed limit freakies.
    BTW, I'm not against speed bumps and 20mph restrictions. They're a good IN CERTAIN LOCATIONS - at schools, etc.
    Annoyingly, these "We know what's best for you" people who make these decisions always go way ott.
    Is there any other beast in the animal kingdom that would construct a perfectly good access way then install obstacles on it - save a golf course designer?

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    99%

Add to that the 20mph speed limit freakies.
    BTW, I'm not against speed bumps and 20mph restrictions. They're a good IN CERTAIN LOCATIONS - at schools, etc.
    Annoyingly, these "We know what's best for you" people who make these decisions always go way ott.
    Is there any other beast in the animal kingdom that would construct a perfectly good access way then install obstacles on it - save a golf course designer?
    The "best" of them was Pennywell Road where they installed speed bumps in each lane which forced cars to slow almost to a halt but allowed buses and lorries to proceed unhindered. Result was 11 pedestrian incidents over 12 months, only one of which involved a car.

Testimonial Due
    I remember when everyone started using 'lol' in text messages. Used to really get on my tits. But even more annoyingly I started using it myself, now it's habit.

Anyone who is part of a group chat on whatsapp will get annoyed at mates deciding to have a full blown conversation when you're trying to sleep!