hibs.net Messageboard

Page 417 of 429 FirstFirst ... 317367407415416417418419427 ... LastLast
Results 12,481 to 12,510 of 12848

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On timings, my washing machine saying it has 2 minutes to go then taking 8. If you need more time pal just say don't have me standing there
    My washing machine is like this:

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    My washing machine is like this:

😆 brilliant

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    On timings, my washing machine saying it has 2 minutes to go then taking 8. If you need more time pal just say don't have me standing there
    My washing machine does similar - the display even goes back up. Noticed it said 5 mins to go the other day. Looked two minutes later and it said 6 mins

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    My washing machine does similar - the display even goes back up. Noticed it said 5 mins to go the other day. Looked two minutes later and it said 6 mins
    Time passes more slowly or quickly according to what speed the drum is spinning at. Something to do with Einstein I think.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Just been listening to a load of old "No such thing ad a fish" podcasts where this came up. Washing machine timings are always an estimate and the changes come about depending on the weight of the load in the machine and the amount of water required for that weight, not the programme. So the spin cycle changes etc.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Washing machine timings are always an estimate and the changes come about depending on the weight of the load in the machine and the amount of water required for that weight, not the programme. So the spin cycle changes etc.
    Things you never thought you'd read on a football forum #4387.

'I can get it cheaper online'.

An increasingly common phrase in my line of work. I've no issue with online shopping when you know what you want and just click a few buttons. My objection is when I speak to a Customer who I then arrange to go out and meet often more than once, provide them with catalogues, discuss their requirements with them and make recommendations, arrange samples for them, arrange to have a quote prepared, arrange a credit account, arrange spec sheets etc etc. Then after receiving the quote it will be 'I really like the X, Y and Z but I can get it cheaper online'.

So basically you are saying that my experience, knowledge and time is worth nothing? Saving £21 on an order worth several hundred of even thousands of pounds is worth more than the time I gave you. And good luck getting any kind of after sales service from the 2.5 star rated seller on Amazon.

I hear people boasting about doing it in shops too. One of my mates went to a running shop, had his gait analysed, tried about 6 pair of shoes on the treadmill, said no thanks then went home and bought the ones he liked online for a tenner cheaper than the shop. He seemed really proud of himself when in reality he has taken 45 minutes of someone's time with no reward for them at the end of it. That's time they could have spent with a customer actually intending to buy from them.

It's like people want all the perks of personal service with no intention of paying for it. They'll miss it when it's gone.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

An increasingly common phrase in my line of work. I've no issue with online shopping when you know what you want and just click a few buttons. My objection is when I speak to a Customer who I then arrange to go out and meet often more than once, provide them with catalogues, discuss their requirements with them and make recommendations, arrange samples for them, arrange to have a quote prepared, arrange a credit account, arrange spec sheets etc etc. Then after receiving the quote it will be 'I really like the X, Y and Z but I can get it cheaper online'.

So basically you are saying that my experience, knowledge and time is worth nothing? Saving £21 on an order worth several hundred of even thousands of pounds is worth more than the time I gave you. And good luck getting any kind of after sales service from the 2.5 star rated seller on Amazon.

I hear people boasting about doing it in shops too. One of my mates went to a running shop, had his gait analysed, tried about 6 pair of shoes on the treadmill, said no thanks then went home and bought the ones he liked online for a tenner cheaper than the shop. He seemed really proud of himself when in reality he has taken 45 minutes of someone's time with no reward for them at the end of it. That's time they could have spent with a customer actually intending to buy from them.

It's like people want all the perks of personal service with no intention of paying for it. They'll miss it when it's gone.
    Absolutely bang on the money.

I used to sell cars (and not all car salespeople are *****, despite my attempts to disprove the theory sometimes) and the carwow sites and the like ****ed it for people like myself who wanted to look after their customers and make sure that they were getting the right car with the right options at the right time.

Would spend hours with people only for them to say “oh, a dealership down in Bristol is offering it at this price”. It pushes people like myself out of the industry (which it did) and not the hard salespeople ***** who give the industry a bad name.

In the end if someone came in and said “I’ll be going on to carwow and be going with the cheapest price” I refused to do anything but give them a price of what they asked for and explained why. People seemed staggered that I wouldn’t give out hours of my time for test drives and showing them round models and the like.

Usually what would happen is someone would be offered a too good to be true price, then come back a month later and say that they had been offered an older version of a model or pre reg or something they weren’t expecting.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Agree with this completely.

In my previous job I would get customers on the phone with me for half an hour, I would talk them through their requirements, give them advice on various legislation and schemes (farming stuff) and basically having done 99% of the work they would say “but so and so are 45p a kilo cheaper than you”, to which I would say to them that price is not the only factor to consider and so on and so forth.

Needless to say I’ve had a few arguments with folk who think the pennies will all add up to make them millionaires when the reality is that the product saving them money was sub standard and would need replacing a lot quicker, effectively doubling their costs.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Drunk people when you are sober.

My wife was out on Friday afternoon/evening, day started at 2 and I'd said I would pick her up. Get a message about 8 saying can you pick me up in an hour. Arrive and half the people in attendance are out in the street 'just to say hi'.

Then we get in the car and she starts telling me this rambling story that started with 'you can't tell X I told you this but'. Firstly you clearly can't be trusted with a secret when you have had a drink, secondly I have no ****ing idea who X is. This story went on and on with a lot of repetition, a whole load of waffle about people I have never heard of and have no interest in then ended abruptly with the square root of nothing seeming to have happened. Certainly nothing worthy of 15 minutes of rambling.

Needless to say the whole story was started over again the following morning opening with 'Oh I never told you.....'. Yes, yes you really did.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

My wife was out on Friday afternoon/evening, day started at 2 and I'd said I would pick her up. Get a message about 8 saying can you pick me up in an hour. Arrive and half the people in attendance are out in the street 'just to say hi'.

Then we get in the car and she starts telling me this rambling story that started with 'you can't tell X I told you this but'. Firstly you clearly can't be trusted with a secret when you have had a drink, secondly I have no ****ing idea who X is. This story went on and on with a lot of repetition, a whole load of waffle about people I have never heard of and have no interest in then ended abruptly with the square root of nothing seeming to have happened. Certainly nothing worthy of 15 minutes of rambling.

Needless to say the whole story was started over again the following morning opening with 'Oh I never told you.....'. Yes, yes you really did.
    I hate drunk people even when I'm drunk.

My wife does this but not drunk, starts talking about people she works beside, I have no idea who these people are but I nod away tentatively listening not caring one jot.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

My wife was like that last Saturday, came in absolutely steaming and was so bloody obnoxiously loud coming in the house.

She would have been raging if it was me.

And yes then the story spew started and was then repeated to me the next day.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Folk at the gym who move around with no spatial awareness near resistance machines. I was on the converging chest press machine last night and I had to stop a few times as people wandered into the path of the arms of the machine whilst I was in the process of pushing it out. Same on some of the leg machines.

Whilst we are on the topic of space and gyms, the male changing room at my gym is in front of a lowered area that is often used for circuits classes. For some reason the instructors are now using the open corridor bit between the changing room door and the wall that separates the lowered area for part of the class. I came out of the changing room and almost got hit by someone doing walking lunges whilst carrying a weight.

Sober people when you are drunk.
    Despite being supremely witty and a first rate raconteur after a few will they listen to me? No they won't. Their loss.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Agree with this completely.

In my previous job I would get customers on the phone with me for half an hour, I would talk them through their requirements, give them advice on various legislation and schemes (farming stuff) and basically having done 99% of the work they would say “but so and so are 45p a kilo cheaper than you”, to which I would say to them that price is not the only factor to consider and so on and so forth.

Needless to say I’ve had a few arguments with folk who think the pennies will all add up to make them millionaires when the reality is that the product saving them money was sub standard and would need replacing a lot quicker, effectively doubling their costs.
    Buy cheap, buy twice as they say.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar

I can almost put up with the tedious repetition of stories throughout a night but my real bug bear is invasion of my personal space by drunks. I am hypersensitive to touch at the best of times so to have an inebriated individual touching me, standing next to me to the point of leaning on me or just being handsy really rips my knitting. So much so that I mostly avoid nights that I know that the drink will be flowing. When I drank it would numb my sensitivity to the problem but now I am teetotal it is a real nightmare.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I hate drunk people even when I'm drunk.

I hate sober people, they're just so dull.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I hate sober people, they're just so dull.
    How would you know

Idiots putting their bins out when it's windy. Their crap blowing all over the street. Then not being arsed to pick up their own rubbish because they are lazy twats!!.

On twats, why do the idiot Americans say twot instead of twat.

Cats who litter their litter tray immediately after you've changed it with new litter.

Drunk or not, people are just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Idiots putting their bins out when it's windy. Their crap blowing all over the street. Then not being arsed to pick up their own rubbish because they are lazy twats!!.

On twats, why do the idiot Americans say twot instead of twat.

I agree about the bins, although it’s a tough one. If someone works an early shift and leaves the house at 5am, they need to put their bin out, even if it won’t be emptied til lunchtime. Folk who put them out the night before when it’s windy are just causing hassle though

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I agree about the bins, although it’s a tough one. If someone works an early shift and leaves the house at 5am, they need to put their bin out, even if it won’t be emptied til lunchtime. Folk who put them out the night before when it’s windy are just causing hassle though
    My bins often get emptied quite early in the morning - I always put them out the night before.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    My bins often get emptied quite early in the morning - I always put them out the night before.
    Same here, must be near the start of their route.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Yip. Most of my street put the bins out the night before. If we didn't then they wouldn't get picked up. Does cause issues if its really windy though. Not just with rubbish. The empty bins get blown all over the street once they've been emptied and left out all day.

I nearly bought one of these for the bin to be told by the wife I'm creating work for the binmen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BSDS2M...VYAY0XGE12TAVT

I mean, what they going to do? Get the teamsters on me?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Yip. Most of my street put the bins out the night before. If we didn't then they wouldn't get picked up. Does cause issues if its really windy though. Not just with rubbish. The empty bins get blown all over the street once they've been emptied and left out all day.
    When it was windy recently the bin men laid them flat after emptying them here. Great idea. Also, having 4 separate bins now means they are lighter and more likely to blow over before emptying.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    The lifts in Victoria hospital Kirkcaldy.
    I approach the lifts just as the lift door opened. I walk in and turn to press my floor number but there are no buttons inside the lift.
    I gp back out and there's numbered buttons outside. I work out that I need to press my floor number outside then go into the lift but when I press a number, a letter appears in the panel above it. You then have to go to that specific lettered lift the whole time hoping you pushed the correct floor.

The whole time I'm thinking , who tf signed off on that as a good design.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    How would you know

All my in laws from Sachsen are permanently sober, of course.

As you know, people from Sachsen are an example to us all.