hibs.net Messageboard

Page 402 of 429 FirstFirst ... 302352392400401402403404412 ... LastLast
Results 12,031 to 12,060 of 12848

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People that put an apostrophe before the 's' when they intended the word to be plural, not possessive, e.g.

Attachment 27325
    That's one confused trader there, using a grocer's apostrophe to sell meat products.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    That's one confused trader there, using a grocer's apostrophe to sell meat products.
    Apostrophe or not and there could be letters missing but Pes and Urgers would still make sense to this greedy ******* 🤣

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    The new (coloured screwn)bus tracker signs that are starting to go up.

They don't track buses :-(

At least not accurately
    No 35

6 mins
    4 mins
    2 mins
    Due
    Then dissappears
    Bus then turns up a few mins later as I'm considering getting on a different bus

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    The new (coloured screwn)bus tracker signs that are starting to go up.

They don't track buses :-(

At least not accurately
    No 35

6 mins
    4 mins
    2 mins
    Due
    Then dissappears
    Bus then turns up a few mins later as I'm considering getting on a different bus
    Apparently they can only show the time according to the timetable, they don't actually track anything live. In other words, the Council have wasted money on something that is a massive downgrade from what was there before.

I've noticed the tram trackers on the new bit of the line usually spout guff as well. There's been a few times it has indicated there is a tram for ages, so I've started walking for a bus instead, only for a tram to pass me a couple of minutes later. Never seems to happen on the older section.
    Last edited by overdrive; 20-10-2023 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Apparently they can only show the time according to the timetable, they don't actually track anything live. In other words, the Council have wasted money on something that is a massive downgrade from what was there before.
    That is an absolute balls up if true. 😳

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    People that put an apostrophe before the 's' when they intended the word to be plural, not possessive, e.g.

Attachment 27325
    I did actually wrestle with the apostrophe location, evidently the rogue apostrophe won!

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar

I've noticed the tram trackers on the new bit of the line usually spout guff as well. There's been a few times it has indicated there is a tram for ages, so I've started walking for a bus instead, only for a tram to pass me a couple of minutes later. Never seems to happen on the older section.
    Same thing has happened to me, said no tram was due for 22 minutes so started walking, 2 minutes later a tram flies past me

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Same thing has happened to me, said no tram was due for 22 minutes so started walking, 2 minutes later a tram flies past me
    I just stick to looking at the app now which does seem accurate for the tram. Is usually OK for the bus but there does seem to be some phantom buses on it from time to time

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    If correct, is it permanent or temporary?
    I'd heard from a Trams contactor that the live tracker can't be used by two different systems so until all the old displays are replaced, the new installs only show timetabled information???

Personally, I always track on my phone, I find https://bustimes.org/operators/lothian-buses to be a bit more accurate than the Lothian Buses app, even though both use the same open source data.

The My Bus Edinburgh app is good too

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    If correct, is it permanent or temporary?
    I'd heard from a Trams contactor that the live tracker can't be used by two different systems so until all the old displays are replaced, the new installs only show timetabled information???

Personally, I always track on my phone, I find https://bustimes.org/operators/lothian-buses to be a bit more accurate than the Lothian Buses app, even though both use the same open source data.
    No idea TBH.

It must have been mentioned before but the term 'woke' and particularly the misuse of it.

Seen a football club post on Twitter today about their game tomorrow, guys asks if there is any chance the game could be off, someone else replies saying 'don't be so woke, it's only rain'. WTF? What has asking about a game being in doubt because of rain got to do with being 'woke'? It doesn't make any sense.

Another guy ranting away in a local paper because he got banned from a pub by 'woke staff'. He went in, ordered using an app, waited 20 minutes then went to the bar to complain. By his own admission he told the staff his dad used to run a pub and he could do their job standing on his head and they were useless. That's not 'woke'; that's you abusing someone in their place of work and paying the price. Stop being so 'woke' and accept the decision......

(On a related note what kind of logic is that? My dad was a brain surgeon so that must mean I can do it as well).

@hibs.net private member
    Egg shells !! For hundreds of years I can never crack an egg into a bowl without a ****ing little bit dropping into the bowl, trying to fish the little bit of shell out of the bowl is even more ****ing frustrating 🤬

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Egg shells !! For hundreds of years I can never crack an egg into a bowl without a ****ing little bit dropping into the bowl, trying to fish the little bit of shell out of the bowl is even more ****ing frustrating 🤬
    Use a large bit of eggshell to scoop the wee bit back out, it seems to stick to it. I have no idea why it works but it does.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Egg shells !! For hundreds of years I can never crack an egg into a bowl without a ****ing little bit dropping into the bowl, trying to fish the little bit of shell out of the bowl is even more ****ing frustrating
    Tap the ‘tall’ end of the egg on the counter top until you hear a pop…sounds like the egg has cracked but is the membrane releasing from the outer shell.

Makes cracking them a touch smoother and reduces the chance of you having to brutalise the thing to get it to separate.

Also works a treat if you are hard boiling eggs to then separate the shell…makes that job a lot easier!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Use a large bit of eggshell to scoop the wee bit back out, it seems to stick to it. I have no idea why it works but it does.
    I meant to say, most of the larger bits of eggshell end up in the bowl too 🫨

I will try that method though as spoons, knives, tweezers and pliers just dont work 🫣

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Tap the ‘tall’ end of the egg on the counter top until you hear a pop…sounds like the egg has cracked but is the membrane releasing from the outer shell.

Makes cracking them a touch smoother and reduces the chance of you having to brutalise the thing to get it to separate.

Also works a treat if you are hard boiling eggs to then separate the shell…makes that job a lot easier!
    Thanks mate will try that too, yeah I had a boiled egg peeling rant earlier on this thread too 🫣

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I did actually wrestle with the apostrophe location, evidently the rogue apostrophe won!

Sorry mate, I couldn't resist.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It must have been mentioned before but the term 'woke' and particularly the misuse of it.

Seen a football club post on Twitter today about their game tomorrow, guys asks if there is any chance the game could be off, someone else replies saying 'don't be so woke, it's only rain'. WTF? What has asking about a game being in doubt because of rain got to do with being 'woke'? It doesn't make any sense.

Another guy ranting away in a local paper because he got banned from a pub by 'woke staff'. He went in, ordered using an app, waited 20 minutes then went to the bar to complain. By his own admission he told the staff his dad used to run a pub and he could do their job standing on his head and they were useless. That's not 'woke'; that's you abusing someone in their place of work and paying the price. Stop being so 'woke' and accept the decision......

(On a related note what kind of logic is that? My dad was a brain surgeon so that must mean I can do it as well).
    Yepp, the meaning of woke has become so mis-used that it has lost all meaning.

Almost like someone planned it.

Another one that must have been mentioned before but this trend for people watching football to chuck beer everywhere when a goal is scored.

I've just watched the Beckham documentary on Netflix and it's funny but Owen's goal v Argentina, the 2 United goals v Bayern Munich etc were all huge. Yet the footage of fans shows people in pubs, watching on big screens and at the game all being able to celebrate without creating an alcoholic Niagara Falls. Manufactured nonsense for 'limbs' pages on Twitter.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Another one that must have been mentioned before but this trend for people watching football to chuck beer everywhere when a goal is scored.

I've just watched the Beckham documentary on Netflix and it's funny but Owen's goal v Argentina, the 2 United goals v Bayern Munich etc were all huge. Yet the footage of fans shows people in pubs, watching on big screens and at the game all being able to celebrate without creating an alcoholic Niagara Falls. Manufactured nonsense for 'limbs' pages on Twitter.
    Quite bad at the darts at times too. 😡

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Does my head in as well. Waste of beer, for a start.

This fad for cyclists to complain about motorists on Twitter, particularly videos were, for instance, a cyclist seems entirely unable to navigate past something blocking the cycle lane.

I get that nothing should be in there, but every other roadway (I’m not sure what word I’m looking for here) like bus lanes, roads, pavements etc will have something blocking them from time to time.

They shouldn’t be, but they are. Such is life. Everyone bar these Twitter cyclists seems to be able to engage their brain and just go round the obstacle with zero fuss.

Watched one video today where a van illegally cut across a cyclist to turn left. The cyclist, though, observed the van moving and then proceeded to carry on cycling anyway to instigate a crash, then complained of a hit and run.

Why would you do that? Just pull your brakes, ffs, have a wee moan to yourself about the knob in the van, and get on with your day. Imagine instigating a crash just to prove a point!?

They need to grow up.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Also, folk cheering on a bus driver driving his bus at Just Stop Oil protestors.

First of all, ‘mon the environmentalists. It’s a critical cause and fair play to them for doing something about it. They shouldn’t be the enemy, the oil companies etc are the bad guys but somehow the protestors are painted as the baddies.

Second, a driver choosing to drive at and potentially over human beings, regardless of their actions, is despicable. The risk of killing someone is very high and you would have to think that “i don’t agree with protestors” would be sufficient mitigation in court if the driver found themselves on a murder or manslaughter charge if they did kill someone.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Does my head in as well. Waste of beer, for a start.

This fad for cyclists to complain about motorists on Twitter, particularly videos were, for instance, a cyclist seems entirely unable to navigate past something blocking the cycle lane.

I get that nothing should be in there, but every other roadway (I’m not sure what word I’m looking for here) like bus lanes, roads, pavements etc will have something blocking them from time to time.

They shouldn’t be, but they are. Such is life. Everyone bar these Twitter cyclists seems to be able to engage their brain and just go round the obstacle with zero fuss.

Watched one video today where a van illegally cut across a cyclist to turn left. The cyclist, though, observed the van moving and then proceeded to carry on cycling anyway to instigate a crash, then complained of a hit and run.

Why would you do that? Just pull your brakes, ffs, have a wee moan to yourself about the knob in the van, and get on with your day. Imagine instigating a crash just to prove a point!?

They need to grow up.
    There's a few cyclists in Edinburgh who complain about motorists on Twitter weekly.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Cyclists who wear dark clothing on the road.
    It's irresponsible and potentially suicidal.
    No point expecting the cops to do anything about it unfortunately.

People who don't do basic things that are polite, make people's jobs a bit easier and help avoid impacting other people negatively.

For example people who are out for a pint and don't take the empty glass back to the bar when ordering the next one or don't just lift their glass and place it on the bar when leaving. Or people who don't return their trolley to a bay at the supermarket and just dump it next to their parking space. Or people who don't take their tray to the bin in somewhere like McDonalds and leave a mess all over the table. Worse still are the people who don't even attempt to leave their tables in some kind of order in pubs, fast food restaurants, on trains etc. Not returning or disposing of the stuff is one thing but leaving spillage, empty packets and half eaten food scattered everywhere is on a whole other level.

The things with all of the above and other similar scenarios is that there is no punishment for not doing any of it, it really is just a personal choice to be nice or not.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Shops that still expect you to have a pound coin on you so you can use their trollies.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Also, folk cheering on a bus driver driving his bus at Just Stop Oil protestors.

First of all, ‘mon the environmentalists. It’s a critical cause and fair play to them for doing something about it. They shouldn’t be the enemy, the oil companies etc are the bad guys but somehow the protestors are painted as the baddies.

Second, a driver choosing to drive at and potentially over human beings, regardless of their actions, is despicable. The risk of killing someone is very high and you would have to think that “i don’t agree with protestors” would be sufficient mitigation in court if the driver found themselves on a murder or manslaughter charge if they did kill someone.
    Is that not because while their cause is a just one, their means of protest is polarising, futile and utterly ineffective. I’m not sure they have achieved anything positive by targeting the people they are trying to get on side, instead they have angered the public.

One of the main funders of Just Stop Oil, Dale Vince, is of a similar opinion and pulled his funding. “I believe that further protests and the disruption that comes with them are pointless. I would go further and say they would be counterproductive”.

Protests are fine, but why they targeted the general public they are trying to get on side, and not the oil companies, petrol stations, government etc, I simply don’t understand.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Is that not because while their cause is a just one, their means of protest is polarising, futile and utterly ineffective. I’m not sure they have achieved anything positive by targeting the people they are trying to get on side, instead they have angered the public.

One of the main funders of Just Stop Oil, Dale Vince, is of a similar opinion and pulled his funding. “I believe that further protests and the disruption that comes with them are pointless. I would go further and say they would be counterproductive”.

Protests are fine, but why they targeted the general public they are trying to get on side, and not the oil companies, petrol stations, government etc, I simply don’t understand.
    Would you describe a strike that directly impacts the public in the same terms?

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Would you describe a strike that directly impacts the public in the same terms?
    Like a train strike? No, I see the logic and relevance of train workers (in this example) striking, I.e refusing to do their job, because they are unhappy with elements of their job, dispite the inconvenience and annoyance it causes. I’d not understand train workers protesting and blocking a bus station for example.