hibs.net Messageboard

Page 398 of 430 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,940 of 12871

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "revamped" Evening News. There is now more colour, more pictorial and even more lifestyle and health stuff. In other words more Eye Candy.
    The editor, a week ago, said in her mission statement that they can no longer compete with instant news from the web and TV/radio, and so the News will be examining what's behind the main stories and how it affects us all in this great city whose cause the News will be shouting from the rooftops.

She said that twice actually. Poor editing?
    The new format is even worse than the last.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Facebook notifications along the lines of “Jim has posted a photo that you haven’t seen”. Funny that, when I click on the notification, not only do I recognise the photo but I’ve actually liked and commented on it despite Facebook apparently thinking I haven’t even seen it before.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Facebook notifications along the lines of “Jim has posted a photo that you haven’t seen”. Funny that, when I click on the notification, not only do I recognise the photo but I’ve actually liked and commented on it despite Facebook apparently thinking I haven’t even seen it before.
    I've not really used social media in ages but still have it, from time to time I get an email from Facebook saying X has posted an update or picture, normally it's someone I haven't spoken to in years, it's as if they are trying to entice me back with what I've been missing out on

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The "revamped" Evening News. There is now more colour, more pictorial and even more lifestyle and health stuff. In other words more Eye Candy.
    The editor, a week ago, said in her mission statement that they can no longer compete with instant news from the web and TV/radio, and so the News will be examining what's behind the main stories and how it affects us all in this great city whose cause the News will be shouting from the rooftops.

She said that twice actually. Poor editing?

The Evening News, without an Adblocker...

EveningNews_Without_AdblockPlus.jpg

Same view but with Adblock Plus...

EveningNews_Using_AdblockPlus.jpg
    Last edited by Keith_M; 19-09-2023 at 04:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I've maybe mentioned this before because it's certainly up there, doesn't happen often but Whistlers on public transport, I've just had 5 minutes of the Adams Family that then went into about 1 minute of the Manic Miner tune and now we are back to the Adams Family, I'm going to be in a bad mood all day now

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Cold calling!!

Mymobile.com
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 21-09-2023 at 01:00 PM.

When people ask for a solution and someone highlights the problem.

I'm in a running WhatsApp group. A guy is running the Berlin Marathon today and his luggage was lost by his airline. He asked if anyone could help him get a pair of running shoes for the race. The 2nd reply 'always carry anything you really need at the other end in your hand luggage'. Sound advice for sure but not really relevant to solving the other problem, the guy knows the mistake he has made, he wants solutions not another person telling him he was stupid.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    "bitty"
    Wtf?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    When people ask for a solution and someone highlights the problem.

I'm in a running WhatsApp group. A guy is running the Berlin Marathon today and his luggage was lost by his airline. He asked if anyone could help him get a pair of running shoes for the race. The 2nd reply 'always carry anything you really need at the other end in your hand luggage'. Sound advice for sure but not really relevant to solving the other problem, the guy knows the mistake he has made, he wants solutions not another person telling him he was stupid.
    Without wishing to be a knob, presumably some kind of shop in Berlin would've been able to purvey the bloke a pair of running shoes?

Anyway, agreed with your point. Up there with the immortal line "well where did you last have it/leave it" whenever I ask the wife if she's seen my keys, phone, wallet etc.

I readily admit I'm fairly dreadful for not always having a handle on where those things are but if I knew where I'd left it, I wouldn't be looking for it now then would I?

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Without wishing to be a knob, presumably some kind of shop in Berlin would've been able to purvey the bloke a pair of running shoes?

Anyway, agreed with your point. Up there with the immortal line "well where did you last have it/leave it" whenever I ask the wife if she's seen my keys, phone, wallet etc.

I readily admit I'm fairly dreadful for not always having a handle on where those things are but if I knew where I'd left it, I wouldn't be looking for it now then would I?
    I think it was a timing issue as he arrived Saturday late afternoon and the race started early Sunday. He still had to register though so buying a pair of shoes at the Expo was the obvious choice which is what he ended up doing. The ******* also ran a PB of 2.24 despite the last minute stress.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think it was a timing issue as he arrived Saturday late afternoon and the race started early Sunday. He still had to register though so buying a pair of shoes at the Expo was the obvious choice which is what he ended up doing. The ******* also ran a PB of 2.24 despite the last minute stress.
    Yeah of course, there's always loads of manufacturers selling their wares at these things - what a bellend/legend, that's a borderline international calibre time, even allowing for the fact that Berlin is a famously quick marathon course .

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    People who respond to work email copy lists (with lots of people on it that wont know them) and don't put their email signature on the email.

So you have no idea of their job role, who they are or why their view might be important or not.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    People who respond to work email copy lists (with lots of people on it that wont know them) and don't put their email signature on the email.

So you have no idea of their job role, who they are or why their view might be important or not.

Also the people who reply to all, when only the initial sender needs to see the answer, or when an answer is only needed from one person as everyone else isn’t adding anything.

Something like: ‘Has anyone got the keys to the filling cupboard on the 3rd floor?’ - and 30 people all reply saying ‘no’, ‘I’ve not got it’, ‘not been in it in weeks’, etc

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Also the people who reply to all, when only the initial sender needs to see the answer, or when an answer is only needed from one person as everyone else isn’t adding anything.

Something like: ‘Has anyone got the keys to the filling cupboard on the 3rd floor?’ - and 30 people all reply saying ‘no’, ‘I’ve not got it’, ‘not been in it in weeks’, etc
    Oh my god yes

There was an email sent out at my work on a Sunday recently by someone and they sent it to the wrong copylist - so it went to 500 people instead of 20 people. They then sent an email 5 minutes later apologising for their error and telling people to ignore it. Problem solved. You would think.

Yet on the Monday there must have been genuinely about 40 emails with people pointlessly telling the whole copylist they had been sent the email in error, people then responding asking people not to reply to all (whilst replying to all in the process), then people demanding to be removed from the chain as their emails were being blocked up (whilst blocking up everyone else's emails).

Absolute idiots, all of them, and some of them in pretty senior roles earning very good money. Worrying.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 26-09-2023 at 10:01 AM.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Oh my god yes

There was an email sent out at my work on a Sunday recently by someone and they sent it to the wrong copylist - so it went to 500 people instead of 20 people. They then sent an email 5 minutes later apoligising for their error and telling people ignore it. Problem solved. You would think.

Yet on the Monday there must have been genuinely about 40 emails with people pointlessly telling the whole copylist they had been sent the email in error, people then responding asking people not to reply to all (whilst replying to all in the process), then people demanding to be removed from the chain as their emails were being blocked up (whilst blocking up everyone else's emails).

Absolute idiots, all of them, and some of them in pretty senior roles earning very good money. Worrying.
    I used to work for a large financial company and occasionally that would happen - emails to 20,000 people and people replying all asking everyone to not reply all. Was all quite funny I thought.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    People who respond to work email copy lists (with lots of people on it that wont know them) and don't put their email signature on the email. So you have no idea of their job role, who they are or why their view might be important or not.
    I've never put my email address in my signature. If you've received an email from me, then you'll have my email address in the "from" field. If it's a work email then you can click on the address properties and it'll tell you who I am? Perhaps you're talking about replies from people outside your organisation ...?

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I used to work for a large financial company and occasionally that would happen - emails to 20,000 people and people replying all asking everyone to not reply all. Was all quite funny I thought.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Yeah they can be quality.

The ones that say EVERYONE STOP SENDING REPLIES TO ALL.

Swiftly followed by a dozen other people asking to be removed from the DL or they were not the intended recipient or any other hundred of variations of pointless responses.

Human nature can be very odd sometimes. Every day everyone in a large workplace must get tons of emails that are not really for them
    or they have no interest in yet never respond like that. But as soon as a couple of people respond asking to be removed or they got an email in error tons of other folk feel obliged to do exactly the same thing!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    I've never put my email address in my signature. If you've received an email from me, then you'll have my email address in the "from" field. If it's a work email then you can click on the address properties and it'll tell you who I am? Perhaps you're talking about replies from people outside your organisation ...?

Well I'm talking about both internal external. Today it was an email from someone internal. You can click on their name and it usually tells you roughly where they work but sometimes not their job title, specific dept etc. Quite important in a huge organisation with thousands of people. Even having to click their name is taking up unneccesary time and effort. Its so easy to just have every email with a very brief signature automatically that makes it easier for recipients I dont know why people wouldn't do it.

But then I might be missing something. Is there a reason you don't do it that I'm missing?
    Last edited by LaMotta; 26-09-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Yeah usually our team has a good laugh at some of the mental responses

@hibs.net private member
    But then I might be missing something. Is there a reason you don't do it that I'm missing?
    Good question. Our email signature standard just didn't include an email address. You were expected to include info on your grade and department in your signature. But (I don't think) we required the signature to be included in replies. Clicking on someone's name always told you who they were, which office, which grade.
    Last edited by grunt; 26-09-2023 at 12:26 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    When I worked for the Scottish Government this was quite common and a welcome laugh. One time after about a dozen replies to all (yes every SG member of staff) someone replied with "Let's all go to the pub!". Followed swiftly by a terse response from the First Minister's private secretary with threats of disciplinary action!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    When I worked for the Scottish Government this was quite common and a welcome laugh. One time after about a dozen replies to all (yes every SG member of staff) someone replied with "Let's all go to the pub!". Followed swiftly by a terse response from the First Minister's private secretary with threats of disciplinary action!

Jesus that's a bit extreme!! I take it you avoided a disciplinary?!😂

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Jesus that's a bit extreme!! I take it you avoided a disciplinary?!😂
    I was old enough to know not to get involved! There was a mail server problem that day as well so "why has this been copied to me?" responses were still appearing in inboxes half an hour after the warning

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I was old enough to know not to get involved! There was a mail server problem that day as well so "why has this been copied to me?" responses were still appearing in inboxes half an hour after the warning
    Used to happen at RBS all the time. NHS it does happen but rarely. When it does it always makes me chuckle. You could run a book on how long for the first "why am I getting this" or "can we stop replying to all"

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Used to happen at RBS all the time. NHS it does happen but rarely. When it does it always makes me chuckle. You could run a book on how long for the first "why am I getting this" or "can we stop replying to all"
    Without fail there’s also always a “character” who replies saying along the lines of “I love the emails, keep them coming”.

Speaking of emails to a whole group and RBS. A number of years ago on a project I was on at RBS there was two people, passive aggressively arguing, while bizarrely having the whole project copied in. A lot of “well if you had bothered to read my email correctly” and “ don’t use that tone with me” type of chat. Must have been over about 8 or so emails, was good entertainment for a Friday afternoon.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Once had another manager write a particulars nasty email about me to one of his assistant managers because as the Security manager I had cause to interview him over an alleged incident. He inadvertently copied me in 😂

I printed it out, went and slapped it on his desk and told him the next interview was not far off!

Bairns fitbaw coaches rocking up to a 10 year olds 7 a side Sunday morning game acting like they’re Pep in a champions league final.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Bairns fitbaw coaches rocking up to a 10 year olds 7 a side Sunday morning game acting like they’re Pep in a champions league final.
    Does my head in.

Guys with their level 1.3 coaching badge acting as if they are some footballing guru. If there was any kind of continuous assessment rather than just a turn up and get a certificate system then half of these guys would be bombed out the game asap.

It seems to be a thing now. Guys with a couple of coaching badges talking as if they have some unrivaled wealth of knowledge. When you get to the UEFA licences then I'll maybe listen, before that you just sound like a bit of an eejit.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The GOAT abbreviation.

Rips my knitting for some reason.

And Haaland is a robot. Done to death.

And the idea of bringing back Griffiths.

I'm currently keeping an eye on the market for a new job, not actively looking but just seeing what's out there. Some of the things listed as 'benefits' by employers are amusing and annoying in equal measure.

'Paid holidays'
    'Company pension scheme'
    'Competitive salary'

Sorry but a salary, competitive or otherwise, paid holidays and a pension scheme aren't 'benefits' they are a legal obligation for an employer. Listing say 'discounted gym memberships' or 'private healthcare cover' as a benefit is fine, a salary is nothing of the sort.