hibs.net Messageboard

Page 359 of 428 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361369409 ... LastLast
Results 10,741 to 10,770 of 12834

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lots of blood and crime scene tapes round our way. Who thinks that's OK for 3-6 year olds guising? Fine for the teenage muggers on the hunt for sweeties.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

saw the opposite in my street last night when I went out to the car for something. 7 adults taking 2 kids, maybe aged about 6, out guising

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Passed a garden this morning, childs swing, police tape round it with what looks like a body hanging from the swing with a rope around its neck, a bit extreme but knowing the area the body could be real 🤣
    There was a kid - a really young kid, maybe about 3 or 4 - who came out with some rhyme about stabbing teddy bears. I thought it was a bit dark for a kid that age. For the second year running, I ran out of sweets very quickly.

How many sweets to folk normally buy? I guess it might be because we are in a relatively new build estate with lots of families compared to my last place where at most I’d get 3 groups or guisers.

Items in supermarkets with a use by / best before date of the same day and it hasn’t been reduced.

@hibs.net private member
    Packets of eg potatoes or other fresh produce that no longer has any best before type of date on it.

How do I know which pack to buy first ? Short of opening a pack to check?

A well meaning policy in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Items in supermarkets with a use by / best before date of the same day and it hasn’t been reduced.
    Will likely be a staffing issue. I've worked in supermarkets where regular customers knew roughly what time I would start reducing items and crowd me while I was pricing down the items. They're no shy either, quite common to be told what they wanted the reduced price to be.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Packets of eg potatoes or other fresh produce that no longer has any best before type of date on it.

If they're stored in crates, pick from the bottom crate. If on the shelf, don't take from the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Will likely be a staffing issue. I've worked in supermarkets where regular customers knew roughly what time I would start reducing items and crowd me while I was pricing down the items. They're no shy either, quite common to be told what they wanted the reduced price to be.
    Noticed a story on the net last night that a supermarket down south erected barriers around the goods that were about to be reduced in an effort to stop staff members from being assaulted, I know folk can be desperate but, dearie me!

I thought the exact same thing last night buying apples. I think that was introduced to reduce wastage but probably creates waste if they go off in a few days after buying.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Noticed a story on the net last night that a supermarket down south erected barriers around the goods that were about to be reduced in an effort to stop staff members from being assaulted, I know folk can be desperate but, dearie me!
    My example was from years ago, they were basically just thrifty shoppers. If they need barriers now that's a real shame for staff and customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    My local Asda is like a feeding frenzy when the final round of reductions get done every evening.

I just don't know what people do with half the stuff. Bakery items I get, you can freeze them. Same with cold meat or even soft fruits. But someone buying 15 yoghurts at 10p that go out of date the same day? I'd be genuinely curious at to whether they actually sit and eat as many as they can before midnight. I'm not particularly bothered by best before dates and the like but I'd draw the line at 3 day old dairy.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My local Asda is like a feeding frenzy when the final round of reductions get done every evening.

I just don't know what people do with half the stuff. Bakery items I get, you can freeze them. Same with cold meat or even soft fruits. But someone buying 15 yoghurts at 10p that go out of date the same day? I'd be genuinely curious at to whether they actually sit and eat as many as they can before midnight. I'm not particularly bothered by best before dates and the like but I'd draw the line at 3 day old dairy.
    I've seen bulk buying of yoghurts, pre packed sandwiches for local community clubs and the like. From what I used to see a number of shoppers don't pay too much attention to bb dates, tends to be poultry and sea food they are a bit more cautious about.

If packaging is blown, don't buy - applies to cooked and uncooked meat including ready meals. That's my pet peeve, staff who still put that out for sale, probs because they haven't been trained to look for it. It can be a sign of bacteria growing.
    Last edited by Santa Cruz; 02-11-2022 at 02:18 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I think the quickest snapped up is meat, which will be chucked in the freezer. Some of the vegetables on reduction are in a sorry state, but better than being wasted.

My pet peeve would be crap reductions. Lidl aldi just have a set 30 or 50% sticker, Sainsbury’s and m and s usually a decent reduction. The coop next to me though has reductions like £3.99 down to £3.50. If I'm buying something getting chucked that night, I'm wanting a third of or I'll just buy with a decent date

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    I think the quickest snapped up is meat, which will be chucked in the freezer. Some of the vegetables on reduction are in a sorry state, but better than being wasted.

My pet peeve would be crap reductions. Lidl aldi just have a set 30 or 50% sticker, Sainsbury’s and m and s usually a decent reduction. The coop next to me though has reductions like £3.99 down to £3.50. If I'm buying something getting chucked that night, I'm wanting a third of or I'll just buy with a decent date
    M&S was a goldmine for reductions during the early part of the 1st lockdown. I think with the clothing section being closed people just forgot about the food unless it was a standalone. I was getting stuff in the Fort Kinnaird shop for £1 reduced from£5.50 and the like and you had quite literally the pick of the store.

It changed after a few weeks so I think word must have got out on social media.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

People that can't speak basic English, watching Pointless and this woman gave Bruvvas in Amms as the answer, even forgiving there may be a wee accent but how hard is it to say Brothers in Arms.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    People that can't speak basic English, watching Pointless and this woman gave Bruvvas in Amms as the answer, even forgiving there may be a wee accent but how hard is it to say Brothers in Arms.
    Yep get working class accents of the glorious bbc

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Yep get working class accents of the glorious bbc

Nothing to do with working class, just basic English, what exactly is working class, is that still a thing nowadays?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Nothing to do with working class, just basic English, what exactly is working class, is that still a thing nowadays?
    Why wouldn't working class be a thing. Your asking the person to speak in a different way from how they naturally talk. They probably don't know any other way to talk, should they take elocution lessons to go on tv

Some of them still have a code a letter for the month A is January L is December followed by a number for the day that it should only be displayed until. A lot of staff needing trained in quality checking produce.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    When you spend an afternoon investigating something complicated and summarising it as clearly and concisely as you can, and then someone responds with 18 paragraphs demonstrating that they didn't read what you wrote.

Hypothetically, I mean.
    Last edited by nonshinyfinish; 12-11-2022 at 08:08 AM.

When Gregg Wallace says “flesh” instead of “meat” on Master Chef.

You get a new football scores app installed and reduce the "notifications" to Scottish prem and English prem goals only, nothing else.

Then early doors, I get a tinkling text "Ronaldo teammates feel disrespect". Why am I so annoyed?

The “care” reaction being right next to the “haha” reaction on Facebook. Accidentally selected “haha” to someone’s post about a serious health condition. I noticed and changed it but if I hadn’t, they’d be thinking I’m a heartless sod.

@hibs.net private member
    Facebook, its the absolute pits

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    The “care” reaction being right next to the “haha” reaction on Facebook. Accidentally selected “haha” to someone’s post about a serious health condition. I noticed and changed it but if I hadn’t, they’d be thinking I’m a heartless sod.
    HaHa! That's brilliant!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    People who say "Pacific" when they mean "Specific".
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who think it’s funny to phone up and order food for collection and say they want to pay cash on collection and then don’t turn up. Fannies, just wasting their and our time thinking they have got one over on us and we’ve actually cooked the food waiting for them. Happened a few times over the last few weeks, tonight it was a £75 order, of course we never cooked anything as we’ll never take the risk unless ee know it’s 100% genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    People who say "Pacific" when they mean "Specific".

People who use the word 'of' when they meant to use the word 'have'.

e.g. "Maybe I should of concentrated more in English class at school."

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

It's extremely prevalent on this forum for some reason.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Dog owners leaving the dog poo behind - particularly the one who left the wee pile that's on my lawn.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

I actually saw it written in a book!!!!!
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.