hibs.net Messageboard

Page 353 of 430 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355363403 ... LastLast
Results 10,561 to 10,590 of 12871

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Many years back I got a pair of work boots from our jobsworth storeman, he actually had a gauge he used to check the treads, if the soles on your boots werent worn enough he chucked them back at you

I had a mate who worked in the pits and he gave me an old pair that I could exchange, soles were completely worn

To my joy I was handed a brand new pair by the prick storeman only to find out the sole on the left boot was 1.5” higher than the right boot, what a **** !! Took me 1 year to realise I didnt actually have a ****ing limp !! 🤬

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Many years back I got a pair of work boots from our jobsworth storeman, he actually had a gauge he used to check the treads, if the soles on your boots werent worn enough he chucked them back at you

I had a mate who worked in the pits and he gave me an old pair that I could exchange, soles were completely worn

To my joy I was handed a brand new pair by the prick storeman only to find out the sole on the left boot was 1.5” higher than the right boot, what a **** !! Took me 1 year to realise I didnt actually have a ****ing limp !! 🤬
    I had a colleague who had worked in Crudens drawing office, they wouldn't issue new pencils or erasers without good cause. My mate collected all the pencil sharpenings and eraser rubbings in matchboxes to hand back.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I had a colleague who had worked in Crudens drawing office, they wouldn't issue new pencils or erasers without good cause. My mate collected all the pencil sharpenings and eraser rubbings in matchboxes to hand back.
    I remember you could get a sleeve a bit like a cigarette holder that you could put the stump of your pencil in to get the last few millimetres of use out of it when it was too short to hold onto. Happy days going to the stationery cupboard to get a new 3H.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    🤣

Its amazing how thrifty some companies were back in the day. I mean they were meant to be very pro health and safety but ffs, dungarees/overalls had to be held on by literally a single thread before I could get a new pair, safety gloves had to have a minimum of 3 fingers left as 4 fingers are “workable” and boots either had to be flapping at the front or soles as smooth as a babys erse, 3mm tread was acceptable 🤣

🤣

Its amazing how thrifty some companies were back in the day. I mean they were meant to be very pro health and safety but ffs, dungarees/overalls had to be held on by literally a single thread before I could get a new pair, safety gloves had to have a minimum of 3 fingers left as 4 fingers are “workable” and boots either had to be flapping at the front or soles as smooth as a babys erse, 3mm tread was acceptable 🤣

i used to work for a multi-billion pound company, who would throw money at things when it suited, yet at the same time, if someone went to ask for a new notepad (think the cheapest kind you can get), every page back and front would be inspected before another one would be provided. I even saw a few people get knocked back for one when they’d used all the pages but there was still some space left on a few of those pages, so get back and use them properly 😂

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    I remember you could get a sleeve a bit like a cigarette holder that you could put the stump of your pencil in to get the last few millimetres of use out of it when it was too short to hold onto. Happy days going to the stationery cupboard to get a new 3H.

The mind boggles...Is this a wind up ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    The mind boggles...Is this a wind up ?
    Its true mate, I knew a Joiner who had the exact thing that sat behind his ear, probably 1cm of wood left and extended by his wee extension thing, worth a few days extra measurement scribbling before he changed to a new pencil

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    i used to work for a multi-billion pound company, who would throw money at things when it suited, yet at the same time, if someone went to ask for a new notepad (think the cheapest kind you can get), every page back and front would be inspected before another one would be provided. I even saw a few people get knocked back for one when they’d used all the pages but there was still some space left on a few of those pages, so get back and use them properly 😂
    Wonder if it was the same place I worked, to be honest I think it was more down to the jobsworth that was issuing. I think it was a bog standard boring role that he manufactured into his own so he could brown nose to the management and he received plaudits as more money probably went into the management Christmas sesh fund

My mrs volunteering me for stuff and then taking the huff when it's pointed out that she shouldn't be doing it. Goes in one ear and out the other mind as still getting volunteered for **** after 20years

@hibs.net private member
    Whenever Im on annual leave and planning on doing absolutely zilch and my Wife always has plans for me to do the garden, the laundry, the cooking, tidy the house and all the other ****ing DIY jobs, I go back to work for a ****ing break 🤬

When she is on annual leave (we try to take leave at different times 🤣) she does a bit of polishing and then goes for a kip, ****ing hard life 🤬

I turned up to drop my kid off at football only to discover I'd been "volunteered" to become a coach

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Whenever Im on annual leave and planning on doing absolutely zilch and my Wife always has plans for me to do the garden, the laundry, the cooking, tidy the house and all the other ****ing DIY jobs, I go back to work for a ****ing break

When she is on annual leave (we try to take leave at different times ) she does a bit of polishing and then goes for a kip, ****ing hard life
    Aha yes in my gaff it’s the dreaded ‘list’.

This is a non physical list of items that exists only in her head. It appears to be a randomised collection of exactly the type of things you have mentioned above. Some large, some small, some never to be deciphered and defo one that no matter how many jobs are done can never be completed….(“you still haven’t got round to some of those things that have been on THE LIST for ages”)

But regular as clockwork come the weekend or a few days off work out it comes.

“Soo great you are off for a few days…you can get some things done on THE LIST”

To be fair though the frequent response is along the lines of

“Oh I would love to dear but with Hibs on Sat and golf on Sunday I might not get all of it done”

Which of course then relies on which way the wind is blowing to determine if we get an understanding nod of the head or an argument

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    My mrs volunteering me for stuff and then taking the huff when it's pointed out that she shouldn't be doing it. Goes in one ear and out the other mind as still getting volunteered for **** after 20years
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    I turned up to drop my kid off at football only to discover I'd been "volunteered" to become a coach
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Aha yes in my gaff it’s the dreaded ‘list’.

This is a non physical list of items that exists only in her head. It appears to be a randomised collection of exactly the type of things you have mentioned above. Some large, some small, some never to be deciphered and defo one that no matter how many jobs are done can never be completed….(“you still haven’t got round to some of those things that have been on THE LIST for ages”)

But regular as clockwork come the weekend or a few days off work out it comes.

“Soo great you are off for a few days…you can get some things done on THE LIST”

To be fair though the frequent response is along the lines of

“Oh I would love to dear but with Hibs on Sat and golf on Sunday I might not get all of it done”

Which of course then relies on which way the wind is blowing to determine if we get an understanding nod of the head or an argument

Easiest way to get out of these things is to really botch them up.

Whenever Im on annual leave and planning on doing absolutely zilch and my Wife always has plans for me to do the garden, the laundry, the cooking, tidy the house and all the other ****ing DIY jobs, I go back to work for a ****ing break 🤬

When she is on annual leave (we try to take leave at different times 🤣) she does a bit of polishing and then goes for a kip, ****ing hard life 🤬
    I'm sure my wife has an alarm that goes off as soon as my erse gets within a couple of centimetres of the couch.

I do all the ironing, all the cooking, the shopping and deal with things like emptying the bins. I also have the kids on my own a Monday, Wednesday, Thursday evening and all day Sunday. That means bathing, changing, homework, dinner etc etc. I'm no dinosaur, they are my kids and I like doing it.

Guaranteed though that when I get them all sorted, get the dishes done, tidy the place up etc the second I make a coffee and sit myself down at 10.05, she'll walk in a minute later and give it 'oh someone's had a good night whilst I've been working'. If I was to say the same when I get in at half 5 and find her watching Pointless then it would be world war 3.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm sure my wife has an alarm that goes off as soon as my erse gets within a couple of centimetres of the couch.

I do all the ironing, all the cooking, the shopping and deal with things like emptying the bins. I also have the kids on my own a Monday, Wednesday, Thursday evening and all day Sunday. That means bathing, changing, homework, dinner etc etc. I'm no dinosaur, they are my kids and I like doing it.

Guaranteed though that when I get them all sorted, get the dishes done, tidy the place up etc the second I make a coffee and sit myself down at 10.05, she'll walk in a minute later and give it 'oh someone's had a good night whilst I've been working'. If I was to say the same when I get in at half 5 and find her watching Pointless then it would be world war 3.
    Absolutley feel your pain mate, that must be a Wifes trait, I bet there are many other poor souls on here who can share our pain 🤣

Many years ago I would randomly phone my Wife from work, just to check in and tell her Im safe and erm, that I love her 🥹 All I could hear in the background were groans and moans !! That wasnt her doing housework or yoga, lazy ****ing git was playing Resident Evil, bloody addicted to it she was 🤬

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Chorizo. My wife and daughter love it. I can’t stand it or the smell.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Yep. That’s all sounds incredibly familiar.

Our dog’s recovering from surgery, I’ve spent the last three nights at up not quite all night with him, but not far off, as his recovery has been erratic. You’re lucky if I’ve managed three hours sleep each night.

Nevertheles, I’ve got up early to give him his medication and sat with him while everyone else has slept.

Tonight, i recorded the podcast and got moaned at because “we’ve spent the last two hours with him so it’s your turn”.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Stupidly obtuse rules with no common sense applied.

My work has supplied polystyrene products for years. With the legislation change in Scotland that is no longer possible. It's something we are wholly supportive of and we have spent a lot of time and money over the last couple of years preparing for this, sourcing alternative products and pushing them so people had made the transition before it became law.

Inevitably though we have been left with a small surplus of polystyrene stock which can't be sold. I had arranged to hand this over FOC to a couple of local foodbanks and homeless charities for them to use. I checked this with the relevant bodies andwas told last week this is also forbidden under the new law and both us and the end user would be liable for a fine if such a move happened. Utterly mental. We now have a few boxes of polystyrene that will end up in landfill unused rather than them ending up in exactly the same place having been used for a good cause.

I both understand and support the law but in this instance it's not a commercial transaction and seems madness. This isn't new manufactured product, it's not product that would otherwise not end up in landfill, it's existing stock that is headed there anyway.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who don’t clear their tables in cafes where there is a facility to clear your own table and take your tray to a rack, thereby leaving tables much easier to turn around.

Stupidly obtuse rules with no common sense applied.

My work has supplied polystyrene products for years. With the legislation change in Scotland that is no longer possible. It's something we are wholly supportive of and we have spent a lot of time and money over the last couple of years preparing for this, sourcing alternative products and pushing them so people had made the transition before it became law.

Inevitably though we have been left with a small surplus of polystyrene stock which can't be sold. I had arranged to hand this over FOC to a couple of local foodbanks and homeless charities for them to use. I checked this with the relevant bodies andwas told last week this is also forbidden under the new law and both us and the end user would be liable for a fine if such a move happened. Utterly mental. We now have a few boxes of polystyrene that will end up in landfill unused rather than them ending up in exactly the same place having been used for a good cause.

I both understand and support the law but in this instance it's not a commercial transaction and seems madness. This isn't new manufactured product, it's not product that would otherwise not end up in landfill, it's existing stock that is headed there anyway.
    Can't you offload them south of the border down England way?

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    People that say “delete if not allowed” before posting something that is exactly what that page is meant for. I see it all the time and it bugs me so much. Just read one now about someone asking for recipe advice on a recipes page. Why the **** would that not be allowed?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    The word proven as in not proven or proven liar.

The word should be proved. Either that or it should be acceptable to say the goalposts have been moven.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    The word proven as in not proven or proven liar.
    The word should be proved. Either that or it should be acceptable to say the goalposts have been moven.
    People who look for logic and consistency in the construction of the English language.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    People who look for logic and consistency in the construction of the English language.
    Inconsistency's fine if it makes the language better in any way, but proven must be the worst of what were originally Scottish words to make it big. Compare its ugliness to the majesty of glaikit or bourach. Just a horrible, pointless word!

And it reminds me of a hun left back from ye olde days.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 07-09-2022 at 11:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Folk that clearly don’t want to be in the job they’re in so just decide to be plain rude to customers.

I was in on a Ryanair flight on Monday and when one of the cabin crew went on the tannoy she mumbled and must have had the intercom thing miles away from her mouth as you couldn’t make out anything she was saying.

They then came round with the hot food trolley and when the Italian woman in front of us very politely asked for a Sprite, the same cabin crew member as above visibly and dramatically rolled her eyes, had a look of disgust in her face and replied “this is the hot food trolley and not the drinks trolley as previously stated if you bothered to listen” with special emphasis on “as previously stated” in a condescending tone.

To be fair it was the highlight of our trip so far and me, my wife, the Italian woman and the two people next to her couldn’t stop peeing ourselves laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Folk that clearly don’t want to be in the job they’re in so just decide to be plain rude to customers.

I was in on a Ryanair flight on Monday and when one of the cabin crew went on the tannoy she mumbled and must have had the intercom thing miles away from her mouth as you couldn’t make out anything she was saying.

They then came round with the hot food trolley and when the Italian woman in front of us very politely asked for a Sprite, the same cabin crew member as above visibly and dramatically rolled her eyes, had a look of disgust in her face and replied “this is the hot food trolley and not the drinks trolley as previously stated if you bothered to listen” with special emphasis on “as previously stated” in a condescending tone.

To be fair it was the highlight of our trip so far and me, my wife, the Italian woman and the two people next to her couldn’t stop peeing ourselves laughing.
    Couldn't have been much of a trip! 😉

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post

Wonder if this was the same member of cabin crew who was in my work last week. She was obviously heading to the airport as she was in full uniform and dolled up to the nines. She was very rude to us and generally just difficult. When she left I said to my colleagues "I pity whoever is on her flight today if that's how she's going to behave". Not a good advert for them at all.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Wonder if this was the same member of cabin crew who was in my work last week. She was obviously heading to the airport as she was in full uniform and dolled up to the nines. She was very rude to us and generally just difficult. When she left I said to my colleagues "I pity whoever is on her flight today if that's how she's going to behave". Not a good advert for them at all.
    That reminds me of the joke about the guy trying to chat up the stewardess in the airport. Unsure of what airline she works for he throws out a few airlines logos like BA's "the world's favourite airline" to see if she reacts. At first she is unmoved, but eventually she snaps and tells him to to shut the **** up and **** off somewhere else.

It's at this point he thinks to himself 'of course, she's Ryanair'.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Couldn't have been much of a trip! 😉
    Well it is our honeymoon…

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    That reminds me of the joke about the guy trying to chat up the stewardess in the airport. Unsure of what airline she works for he throws out a few airlines logos like BA's "the world's favourite airline" to see if she reacts. At first she is unmoved, but eventually she snaps and tells him to to shut the **** up and **** off somewhere else

It's at this point he thinks to himself 'of course, she's Ryanair'.
    🤣🤣