hibs.net Messageboard

Page 352 of 429 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354362402 ... LastLast
Results 10,531 to 10,560 of 12857

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the contrary, forcing people to switch off. A number of the people who I watch are fully funded through Patreon so don't need or want revenue from advertising.
    I think he means YouTube trying to force you to buy YouTube premium which has no ads rather than any particular poster’s own premium channel. It’s their version of Spotify/Apple Music as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I enjoy listening to documentaries when falling asleep, I can live with the odd advert before the video resumes but some of the adverts are longer then what I’m listening to e.g 50 minutes!
    Hang on, 50-minute ads? WTF?

If you're using a laptop/desktop, then this browser extension is the answer: https://ublockorigin.com/

For a mobile device it's a bit more of a pain, you'd probably need to install a different browser that supports extensions (and I'm not sure if it's possible at all on iOS). Don't use YouTube much so I've never tried to block the ads on my phone.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Hang on, 50-minute ads? WTF?

If you're using a laptop/desktop, then this browser extension is the answer: https://ublockorigin.com/

For a mobile device it's a bit more of a pain, you'd probably need to install a different browser that supports extensions (and I'm not sure if it's possible at all on iOS). Don't use YouTube much so I've never tried to block the ads on my phone.
    Yeah, some of the adverts are essentially a whole programme. I had one that was Alan Ball & Ray Parlour interviewing David James that was 50 minutes long. Admittedly those length of adverts aren’t that common, but closer to 15 minutes of some random “influencer” doing a cooking interview are more common. It’s not so much an issue when watching as can skip after 5 seconds. Just frustrating when listening to something when going to sleep and after a couple of minutes you have to physically skip the advert.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who ask you how to do something, then don’t listen and mess up the task before saying I can’t do it that way.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I think he means YouTube trying to force you to buy YouTube premium which has no ads rather than any particular poster’s own premium channel. It’s their version of Spotify/Apple Music as well.
    I understand what was meant, but it has the opposite effect on my viewing. I am now choosing not to watch some of the videos I would have enjoyed because of the interruptions
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member
    The way TV shows the view through binoculars as two circles rips my knitting and last night they showed the view through a camera lens as a circle(I'm aware of fisheye lenses, it wasn't one). Why is it so difficult to show the view that you would see through those devises. Another one is when they green screen content on to a laptop that a presenter is using.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    People who ask you how to do something, then don’t listen and mess up the task before saying I can’t do it that way.
    Grrrr.
    I have spent time writing an instruction manual for a colleague as he was constantly phonig with the same question.
    He still phones with the same question and says he didn't k ow where he saved the manual.

No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I do the same and it’s becoming really annoying, particularly if the ad is loud, it wakes you up. I quite often listen to space videos from a guy called John Michael Godier and he has a relaxing voice. You are just nodding off when suddenly some guy starts screaming at you trying to flog a weight loss regime or get rich quick scheme

The number of ads you can’t skip after 5 seconds is increasing too.
    Was just about to post the very same thing.
    I tend to listen to Spotify podcasts that I know only have a wee ad at the beginning.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Grrrr.
    I have spent time writing an instruction manual for a colleague as he was constantly phonig with the same question.
    He still phones with the same question and says he didn't k ow where he saved the manual.

I had a situation where somebody was being passed from pillar to post at work. I got landed with him and I just couldn’t believe his inability to follow instructions. I even put together a document with screenshots of everything he needed to do but he would still do something completely different. I went on a Teams call with him and he shared his screen and he was insistent something in the document wasn’t there. I could see it on his screen share! In fact his cursor was hovering over it.

He asked me how to do something on a system he had used for months, so I showed him. Next day I asked him to something on that same system. “What’s that? I’ve never used that, never heard of it”. Er… it’s what you asked me a question on yesterday.
    Last edited by overdrive; 18-08-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Guy at my work who is utterly useless, despite being paid a very high salary. and management fail to see it.

This seems to be partly because he's an accomplished bull****ter and partly because the management don't seem to care.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    YouTube!! I subscribe to a few channels from people with similar crafting interest as myself. Recently the number of adverts interruptions is making watching almost unwatchable.
    Have you tried UBlock Origin? That will take the ads away for you. After they sold YouTube to Google the ads became ridiculous, 20sec ads without skipping, then double ads, now there are triple ads with no skipping, I got a double 20 second ad with no skipping on a 30 second video and lost the plot and downloaded the ad blocker, wish I'd done it years ago. Google have tried their best to ruin the best video platform there is on the internet

Don't suppose you are a Bobby Duke fan? He is my favourite crafter/artists on YouTube unfortunately his contents is irregular and usually months apart but they are worth waiting on, he is a bit silly but produces some amazing art.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Have you tried UBlock Origin? That will take the ads away for you. After they sold YouTube to Google the ads became ridiculous, 20sec ads without skipping, then double ads, now there are triple ads with no skipping, I got a double 20 second ad with no skipping on a 30 second video and lost the plot and downloaded the ad blocker, wish I'd done it years ago. Google have tried their best to ruin the best video platform there is on the internet

Don't suppose you are a Bobby Duke fan? He is my favourite crafter/artists on YouTube unfortunately his contents is irregular and usually months apart but they are worth waiting on, he is a bit silly but produces some amazing art.
    Cheers for the advice. Usually watch Youtube on the Telly so not sure if the UBlock is possible. I'll look into it.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Was in the supermarket earlier. Randomly fancied some Tooty Frutie sweets as not had them in years. Couldn’t find them, just found out that they were discontinued in 2019. Oh well!

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Cheers for the advice. Usually watch Youtube on the Telly so not sure if the UBlock is possible. I'll look into it.
    You won't be able to use uBlock on your tv. If it's an Android tv then you might be able to use a sideloaded app (eg the one described here: https://techweez.com/2020/07/16/how-...id-tv-forever/).

Sideloading is a bit of a pain and you'd need to do some research to make sure the app is legit.

Amateur football teams doing big social media announcements and interviews when they sign a player. It was bad enough when Highland and Lowland League teams started doing it but at least there is a contract and potentially a monetary transaction there. Grown men spouting the same cliches they have read from professionals is a total cringe.

Granton Star are pleased to announce the signing of Gogs Brown. Gogs said 'when I found out the gaffer wanted me here there was nowhere else I wanted to be. We sat down and it was an easy deal to do'. Manager Rab Scott added 'Gogs is exactly the type of player we are looking for. He'll make training at least once a week and always pays his subs on time. We faced stiff competition from a rival who offered him 2 post game pints and 1st dibs on the dart board but I have to praise the chairman for sanctioning an extra lager shandy to get the deal done.'

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Amateur football teams doing big social media announcements and interviews when they sign a player. It was bad enough when Highland and Lowland League teams started doing it but at least there is a contract and potentially a monetary transaction there. Grown men spouting the same cliches they have read from professionals is a total cringe.

Granton Star are pleased to announce the signing of Gogs Brown. Gogs said 'when I found out the gaffer wanted me here there was nowhere else I wanted to be. We sat down and it was an easy deal to do'. Manager Rab Scott added 'Gogs is exactly the type of player we are looking for. He'll make training at least once a week and always pays his subs on time. We faced stiff competition from a rival who offered him 2 post game pints and 1st dibs on the dart board but I have to praise the chairman for sanctioning an extra lager shandy to get the deal done.'
    Likewise with goal and Man of the Match announcements. Someone I used to work with has been reposting a whole load of social media posts from her son's boys team of fancy announcements of her son scoring goals and getting MotM, similar to how pro teams would. OTT if you ask me!

Variations in clothing sizes. I've been ordering summer clothes just now for my honeymoon in Dec/Jan as they won't be in the shops nearer the time.

I generally wear a 38 or 40 inch waist. I ordered a 40 inch waist shorts from one retailer, they are too small, so exchanged for a 42 inch waist. Got a 42 inch waist in shorts from somewhere else and they are huge. Just received a pair of 40 inch trousers and they won't even get anywhere near closing - probably more like a 34 inch waist!

They were all different retailers, so fair enough there is some differentiation between them (the trousers are taking the P though).

However, I got a shirt in M&S in XXL. Perfect fit. Ordered a couple of other shirts from there in XXL and one was like a tent on me and the other I was bursting out of.

Customers who truly believe “the customer is always right” even when they are wrong.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Brilliant, I know exactly what you mean, I knew a few guys who played with amateur teams and I used to see the same, we are pleased to announce Jimbo Jones has rejoined us after 2 seasons away, he will add some much needed steel to the defence, Jimbo was just released from Saughton after an almost 2 year stretch for sheep bothering🤣

Ps players name has been changed to save his embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Customers who truly believe “the customer is always right” even when they are wrong.

You should join the Police. their motto is 'the customer is always wrong'

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    However, I got a shirt in M&S in XXL. Perfect fit. Ordered a couple of other shirts from there in XXL and one was like a tent on me and the other I was bursting out of.
    Are you the Incredible Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    You should join the Police. their motto is 'the customer is always wrong'

I wish I had, would have been retired by now 😀

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Folk that give their kids phones or tablets to watch cartoons on trains without headsets. Either interact with your spawn or buy a ****ing headset. All you're doing is teaching them to be ignorant *****.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Folk that give their kids phones or tablets to watch cartoons on trains without headsets. Either interact with your spawn or buy a ****ing headset. All you're doing is teaching them to be ignorant *****.
    Had this in a restaurant in Tarbert earlier this year. We had our two kids and the in laws with us, having a lovely time and the kids loved being part of a meal out. It’s something we haven’t done that much as a family due to covid and money, so a bit of a novelty.

A family came in with 3 kids, 3 tablets and one set of headphones. It was ridiculous.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Had this in a restaurant in Tarbert earlier this year. We had our two kids and the in laws with us, having a lovely time and the kids loved being part of a meal out. It’s something we haven’t done that much as a family due to covid and money, so a bit of a novelty.

A family came in with 3 kids, 3 tablets and one set of headphones. It was ridiculous.
    Hate seeing kids with tablets at the dinner table, even if tablets were around when my son was younger we would never have allowed it.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    The fortnightly task of sorting out the recycle crates after the bin men have mixed them up with the neighbour's and left a load of stuff still in them which has ended up strewn all over the street.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    The fortnightly task of sorting out the recycle crates after the bin men have mixed them up with the neighbour's and left a load of stuff still in them which has ended up strewn all over the street.
    Stick-on numbers :)

Saves going to war with the neighbours 😄

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Stick-on numbers :)

Saves going to war with the neighbours 😄
    Oh we have numbers on them, it's the way they chuck a green crate of ours in with a blue crate of theirs then throw them in to the pavement so everything they left spills out all over the road.

And don't get me started on the time the guy stopped for a fag straight after breaking the handle off my food bin and stood and watched while I tried to fix it on again. I told him not to worry and just enjoy his fag. He must have thought it was me who reported them (it was another neighbour) as the next time a council gadgie was trailing them so everything was neatly sorted and in its proper place. Then back to normal the next time. I've actually put all this on the bin strikes thread already, what a saddo 😂

Variations in clothing sizes. I've been ordering summer clothes just now for my honeymoon in Dec/Jan as they won't be in the shops nearer the time.

I generally wear a 38 or 40 inch waist. I ordered a 40 inch waist shorts from one retailer, they are too small, so exchanged for a 42 inch waist. Got a 42 inch waist in shorts from somewhere else and they are huge. Just received a pair of 40 inch trousers and they won't even get anywhere near closing - probably more like a 34 inch waist!

They were all different retailers, so fair enough there is some differentiation between them (the trousers are taking the P though).

The saga continues. I got a shirt from Next. Really liked it and it fitted perfectly, so ordered another one in the same size. The bottom 3 buttons don't come close to fastening! Exact same shirt, exact same size!

@hibs.net private member
    Many years back I got a pair of work boots from our jobsworth storeman, he actually had a gauge he used to check the treads, if the soles on your boots werent worn enough he chucked them back at you

I had a mate who worked in the pits and he gave me an old pair that I could exchange, soles were completely worn

To my joy I was handed a brand new pair by the prick storeman only to find out the sole on the left boot was 1.5” higher than the right boot, what a **** !! Took me 1 year to realise I didnt actually have a ****ing limp !! 🤬
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 26-08-2022 at 07:39 PM.