hibs.net Messageboard

Page 342 of 428 FirstFirst ... 242292332340341342343344352392 ... LastLast
Results 10,231 to 10,260 of 12812

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye? Must just be me then! Doesn't help when the North Berwick train seems to leave from a different platform every time I get it.

The old Waverley before modernisation in the mid to late 2000s was even worse for platform numbers.

Buffer ends at the West end were platforms 12-18

Platforms 1, 10, 11, 19 20 and 21 were through all platforms. Platform 7 was the only useable bay platform at the East end and is where most North Berwicks departed from. The parcel sidings were only used for stabling loco or sets.
    They were not in any particular order either.

Post modernisation

New platforms 20 and 1 are built on the old North loop and North loop siding. 19 remains the same but platform 2 is the old platform 1. Platform 3 is the old parcels bay, platform 4 is the old platform 7, platforms 5 and 6 are the old Motorail bays that have been extended to berth 9 car leckys, platform 7 is the old platform 10, platforms 8 and 9 (sub platforms) are the old platforms 20 and 21, platform 10 is a new platform built on part of the old south loop or Klondyke as its known locally. Platform 11 remains in the same place. Platforms 12-18 remain the same apart from platform 12 which has been extended to accommodate 8 car units.

Manage to keep up?
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Tesco near me has put petrol prices up to 171.9 but I was at Tesco near my folks in Edinburgh on Monday afternoon and it was only 162.9 a litre. I refuse to be held to ransom like that, I didn't fill up, I'd rather walk or take public transport now. The one near me has always been 2 or 3 pence a litre dearer but they're taking the proverbial now.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    The old Waverley before modernisation in the mid to late 2000s was even worse for platform numbers.

Platforms 1, 10, 11, 19 20 and 21 were through all platforms. Platform 7 was the only useable bay platform at the East end and is where most North Berwicks departed from. The parcel sidings were only used for stabling loco or sets.

Post modernisation

New platforms 20 and 1 are built on the old North loop and North loop siding. 19 remains the same but platform 2 is the old platform 1. Platform 3 is the old parcels bay, platform 4 is the old platform 7, platforms 5 and 6 are the old Motorail bays that have been extended to berth 9 car leckys, platform 7 is the old platform 10, platforms 8 and 9 (sub platforms) are the old platforms 20 and 21, platform 10 is a new platform built on part of the old south loop or Klondyke as its known locally. Platform 11 remains in the same place. Platforms 12-18 remain the same apart from platform 12 which has been extended to accommodate 8 car units.

Manage to keep up?
    I'm sure you've noticed but I'm both surprised & shocked to see the pedestrian concourse at the buffer end of 5 & 6. It's a concertina floor, designed to crumple should a train overshoot. Fair enough, but what about the passengers/customers/staff that may be standing there!?!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post

Post modernisation

Manage to keep up?
    Cheers! I think the reason it confuses me so much now is because I got the train every day before the platforms changed, now it's just once every few months.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Everything stopping for the jubilee. A destination craft shop and cafe near me is normally open only Wednesday to Saturday. This week it will be closed Thursday and Friday and are advertising a jubilee garden party on Saturday, so basically a very popular craft shop and cafe is open for one day next week.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Everything stopping for the jubilee. A destination craft shop and cafe near me is normally open only Wednesday to Saturday. This week it will be closed Thursday and Friday and are advertising a jubilee garden party on Saturday, so basically a very popular craft shop and cafe is open for one day next week.
    Is this a petty peeve? Hope the staff enjoy their once in a decade extra public holiday.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    And the staff are delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Is this a petty peeve? Hope the staff enjoy their once in a decade extra public holiday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    And the staff are delighted.
    It's a small family run enterprise. Yeah they can open and close when ever they want, I get that but my peeve is really that ordinary customers will only be able to shop or have a coffee and cake (lovely, by the way) on the Wednesday because they are closed the other two days, then they are having a garden party on the Saturday when presumably the staff will be run off their feet instead of the customers spread out over 4 days.

I also have a small family run enterprise, in the same line of business, and I'm damn sure I'll be open my usual hours for June. Hopefully I'm busy on the 3 days they are closed, including the Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I'm sure you've noticed but I'm both surprised & shocked to see the pedestrian concourse at the buffer end of 5 & 6. It's a concertina floor, designed to crumple should a train overshoot. Fair enough, but what about the passengers/customers/staff that may be standing there!?!

Yeah I seen that, mental idea.

@hibs.net private member
    It's a small family run enterprise. Yeah they can open and close when ever they want, I get that but my peeve is really that ordinary customers will only be able to shop or have a coffee and cake (lovely, by the way) on the Wednesday because they are closed the other two days, then they are having a garden party on the Saturday when presumably the staff will be run off their feet instead of the customers spread out over 4 days.

I also have a small family run enterprise, in the same line of business, and I'm damn sure I'll be open my usual hours for June. Hopefully I'm busy on the 3 days they are closed, including the Saturday.
    People are allowed days off, they obviously chose to have it when everyone else is off. Go somewhere else, although there will be loads of places closed. My work is off as an anti royalist ill happily take it and have fun with the family.

I think a lot of royalists are making a bigger deal of it than the lizzy lovers. Just like the royal weddings and other pish, it will be very easy to ignore.

@hibs.net private member
    Boris's preparation and plans from the amazing cold War Steve https://mobile.twitter.com/coldwarsteve

FT2Pc-zWAAIf1H_.jpg

FTId4jDVsAYAQlg.jpg

It's deflection as usual, I doubt many care enough for it to work well.

FTn5ZytWQAIbn8d.jpg

FTnDdk7WIAc4Pzw.jpg

FTtAeXsXsAs5E7U.jpg

FTmRdavWAAEH_pk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    People are allowed days off, they obviously chose to have it when everyone else is off. Go somewhere else, although there will be loads of places closed. My work is off as an anti royalist ill happily take it and have fun with the family.

I think a lot of royalists are making a bigger deal of it than the lizzy lovers. Just like the royal weddings and other pish, it will be very easy to ignore.
    I think you've missed the point, everyone else isn't off. My wife is working and had to fight for the day to be added to her annual leave allowance from her employer. I'm choosing to work as normal and plenty others will have to work and maybe won't get the extra day.

@hibs.net private member
    I think you've missed the point, everyone else isn't off. My wife is working and had to fight for the day to be added to her annual leave allowance from her employer. I'm choosing to work as normal and plenty others will have to work and maybe won't get the extra day.
    Because your wife's employer is trying to break the law or and your self employed. Doesn't mean you moan at people choosing to take the day off. The employees that won't get it off will have it to their allowance, but most places will be closed. Good on them I hope they enjoy their day off

Because your wife's employer is trying to break the law or and your self employed. Doesn't mean you moan at people choosing to take the day off. The employees that won't get it off will have it to their allowance, but most places will be closed. Good on them I hope they enjoy their day off
    I think you will find around 10.5 million people who work in retail won't have the 2 days off, neither will the 3.8 million who work in tourism.

Also, the bank holiday is not a statutory holiday so employers don't have to give it.
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 29-05-2022 at 01:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I think you will find around 10.5 million people who work in retail won't have the 2 days off, neither will the 3.8 million who work in tourism.

Also, the bank holiday is not a statutory holiday so employers don't have to give it.
    Vast majority will get it at least on another day. Your peeved because this company has chosen to take it and give their staff it. Just because your working can you not say enjoy your holiday scrooge

Vast majority will get it at least on another day. Your peeved because this company has chosen to take it and give their staff it. Just because your working can you not say enjoy your holiday scrooge
    It really has nothing to do with me working, as I'm self employed I can work whenever I like.

I said at the start the place in question is a destination shop and cafe, people go there as a day out, it's in the middle of nowhere. That's what my peeve is, that on a holiday people who are off might expect a popular cafe to be open, instead they are going to work their staff harder on the Saturday with a jubilee garden party!

As far as employees automatically getting the holiday added to their entitlement, all depends on the terms of the contract. In my wife's case she was not entitled to the extra day but kept asking until they agreed, 2 weeks ago, to add the day.

The legal opinion on the holiday entitlement for your information.

https://www.morton-fraser.com/insights/jubilee-bank-holiday#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20entitlement%20to%20 bank,to%20have%20bank%20holidays%20off.

@hibs.net private member
    It really has nothing to do with me working, as I'm self employed I can work whenever I like.

I said at the start the place in question is a destination shop and cafe, people go there as a day out, it's in the middle of nowhere. That's what my peeve is, that on a holiday people who are off might expect a popular cafe to be open, instead they are going to work their staff harder on the Saturday with a jubilee garden party!

As far as employees automatically getting the holiday added to their entitlement, all depends on the terms of the contract. In my wife's case she was not entitled to the extra day but kept asking until they agreed, 2 weeks ago, to add the day.

The legal opinion on the holiday entitlement for your information.

https://www.morton-fraser.com/insights/jubilee-bank-holiday#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20entitlement%20to%20 bank,to%20have%20bank%20holidays%20off.
    With wife's boss sounds like an arse unlike the good employers at the cafe. My chippy is off every July how dare they not think about me and my fritters for a whole month.

With wife's boss sounds like an arse unlike the good employers at the cafe. My chippy is off every July how dare they not think about me and my fritters for a whole month.
    The wife's employer, or more correctly, the inexperienced person who does HR was reading the contract correctly, there is no entitlement for the additional days holiday. My wife is a strong woman who stood her ground on the principle, unfortunately everyone else in the company will just assume that the company has given them all an extra day for the jubilee without knowing the truth.

As for your chippy, they are just thinking of your expanding waistline 😉

@hibs.net private member
    The wife's employer, or more correctly, the inexperienced person who does HR was reading the contract correctly, there is no entitlement for the additional days holiday. My wife is a strong woman who stood her ground on the principle, unfortunately everyone else in the company will just assume that the company has given them all an extra day for the jubilee without knowing the truth.

As for your chippy, they are just thinking of your expanding waistline 😉
    Good on your wife she should have taken a calling in the union, although unions are a dying breed.

My waistline is thankfully contracting, almost solely to hardly having a bevvy this year and gyming it, after reading a thread on here

Good on your wife she should have taken a calling in the union, although unions are a dying breed.

My waistline is thankfully contracting, almost solely to hardly having a bevvy this year and gyming it, after reading a thread on here
    That's nothing compared to the 3 months gardening leave on full pay she got from someone who she was employed by for 2 weeks 😂

@hibs.net private member
    That's nothing compared to the 3 months gardening leave on full pay she got from someone who she was employed by for 2 weeks 😂
    😆 🤣 brilliant

When you pre order something for a specific time because you need it at that time and it's still late.

Ordered a taxi the other week for 12.30. Had booked it the day before as we had to be where we were going on time. Driver eventually shows up at 12.45, no apology and then had the cheek to get nippy with us for 'taking too long' when we were assisting my 89 year old grandad into his seat.

Then last night ordered a take away for 5.20, pre ordered early in the morning. It arrived at 6.35. Called twice to chase it, guy on the phone responded with 'aye we're really busy tonight'. Yes, I knew you would be hence why I pre ordered.

@hibs.net private member
    When bin men empty my bin and leave it halfway down the ****ing street, I appreciate the need to get my step count up but they are just taking the piss 🤬

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    When bin men empty my bin and leave it halfway down the ****ing street, I appreciate the need to get my step count up but they are just taking the piss 🤬
    Also when they collect the glass recycling and chuck it in their wagon at 6:30 in the morning, who needs an alarm clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    When you pre order something for a specific time because you need it at that time and it's still late.

Ordered a taxi the other week for 12.30. Had booked it the day before as we had to be where we were going on time. Driver eventually shows up at 12.45, no apology and then had the cheek to get nippy with us for 'taking too long' when we were assisting my 89 year old grandad into his seat.

Then last night ordered a take away for 5.20, pre ordered early in the morning. It arrived at 6.35. Called twice to chase it, guy on the phone responded with 'aye we're really busy tonight'. Yes, I knew you would be hence why I pre ordered.

Was this a black cab or a PHC you ordered? if it was a black cab and through one of the 2 major companies, complain to them as they generally send pre booked taxi's around 7 mins before booking is due.

What’s the difference between a royalist and a lizzy lover, out of interest?

All I know is an definitely neither!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    What’s the difference between a royalist and a lizzy lover, out of interest?

All I know is an definitely neither!
    Meant anti like the first time I used it, should say Republican. I'd personally give them there jotters and let them pick fruit, as we are toiling for fruit pickers.

The cliché that they bring in tourism is nonsense. Versailles is one of the most visited attractions in the world, so would Buckingham Palace, if you turned it into a Disney land for tourists. I'm split on whether we should loup of their heeds though

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Also when they collect the glass recycling and chuck it in their wagon at 6:30 in the morning, who needs an alarm clock.
    One of the delights of living above a restaurant!

Meant anti like the first time I used it, should say Republican. I'd personally give them there jotters and let them pick fruit, as we are toiling for fruit pickers.

The cliché that they bring in tourism is nonsense. Versailles is one of the most visited attractions in the world, so would Buckingham Palace, if you turned it into a Disney land for tourists. I'm split on whether we should loup of their heeds though
    Holyrood Palace gets tourists all year round and Lizzie's only there 1 week a year, our castle is chocka with tourists and theres not been royalty there for hundreds of years.

@hibs.net private member

Wine offers

Morrisons had an offer where some bottles of wine were 25% off for three or more.

I checked online and it did not say except Scotland and N Ireland so drove 10 miles round trip to the store to be told it is not on in Scotland.

A waste of a trip. The cheaper price was way above the minimum price . Really cheesed me off !