hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 340 of 351 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342350 ... LastLast
Results 10,171 to 10,200 of 10523

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

  1. #10171
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8,203
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep

    My in laws live in Perth, and any time they come to visit theyre here for several hours, so that the trip is worthwhile - its 45 minutes, hardly a long trip
    Several hours jeez. They probably get the hint by you looking at your watch repeatedly 😆


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #10172
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Several hours jeez. They probably get the hint by you looking at your watch repeatedly ��

    mate it gets worse, it’s not uncommon for at least one of them to have a nap whilst here!

    I usually start making comments about not wanting to get caught in traffic ��

  4. #10173
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8,203
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    mate it gets worse, its not uncommon for at least one of them to have a nap whilst here!

    I usually start making comments about not wanting to get caught in traffic ��
    😆 brilliant.

  5. #10174
    Supermarkets that pretend they are reducing prices when they are doing nothing of the sort.

    I bought something tonight that used to cost 1.10, I was informed it was 'rolled back' to 1 as part of 'everyday price cuts'. A quick check of the packet showed the pack size had been reduced from 500g to 488g. Some simple maths tells you the price per g is 0.002p for both the former and the latter. Not a price cut.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  6. #10175
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Supermarkets that pretend they are reducing prices when they are doing nothing of the sort.

    I bought something tonight that used to cost 1.10, I was informed it was 'rolled back' to 1 as part of 'everyday price cuts'. A quick check of the packet showed the pack size had been reduced from 500g to 488g. Some simple maths tells you the price per g is 0.002p for both the former and the latter. Not a price cut.
    Surely that's false advertising?... mind you, they're bound to have small print somewhere.
    cm fallain

  7. #10176
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Stand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    30,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surely that's false advertising?... mind you, they're bound to have small print somewhere.

    Some supermarkets have bumped up prices of things by 40P/50P. Tesco for example, Giant Yorkshire puddings pack of 2 used to be 1 but in the last 2 months they've went up to 1.40. It might seem trivial but it pisses me off. Has the price of eggs and flour shot up as well to justify that increase or are they just being greedy ersholes.

    Again tesco, the one near me has put the petrol price up to 166.9, on Tuesday it was 163.9. Sheer greed.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  8. #10177
    2 litres sparkling Co-op water 55p pre covid, now 63p post covid, I know its pennies at the end of the day but its water ffs and I hate council water 🤬

  9. #10178
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    30
    Posts
    13,206
    Quite irrational, but my neighbors who don't put their bins out with the handles facing the street.

    It must have been more effort for them to get them out in such a way only to then make it harder for the bin men.
    Mon the Hibs.

  10. #10179
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quite irrational, but my neighbors who don't put their bins out with the handles facing the street.

    It must have been more effort for them to get them out in such a way only to then make it harder for the bin men.
    Ha ha, not quite a peeve, but I notice my neighbours do that as well and give a wee shake of my head at their selfishness.



    As an aside, a while back we were doing a lot of work in our gardens and both our wheelies were really heavy, I'd helped manoeuvre them at one point , mine might even have been a bit heavier.... anyways... I stuck a big bit of paper on mine saying "Heavy!" .... it got lifted... neebs didn't and got a label on it from bin man

    Nice to be nice as they say...
    cm fallain

  11. #10180
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    19,595
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quite irrational, but my neighbors who don't put their bins out with the handles facing the street.

    It must have been more effort for them to get them out in such a way only to then make it harder for the bin men.
    I struggle to convince my old man it's a good idea to have the handles facing the street, for some reason he can't comprehend it, it's got to the stage where I think he avoids doing it on purpose! 🤔

  12. #10181
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Stand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    30,401
    Price of a pint, 4.80 for a tennents in the Jinglin Geordie a few weeks back. I'm away to London tomorrow and I'll be in a boozer close to Central London thats under 4 a pint.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  13. #10182
    @hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eastside
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I struggle to convince my old man it's a good idea to have the handles facing the street, for some reason he can't comprehend it, it's got to the stage where I think he avoids doing it on purpose! 🤔
    Edinburgh is a windy City.
    More often than not the wind comes from the Southwest.

    With that in mind, i always face the hinges toward the wind so the flap doesn't blow open and so that helps to avoid the rubbish getting blown all over the street.

    GGTTH
    Last edited by Eaststand; 20-05-2022 at 12:07 PM.

  14. #10183
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some supermarkets have bumped up prices of things by 40P/50P. Tesco for example, Giant Yorkshire puddings pack of 2 used to be 1 but in the last 2 months they've went up to 1.40. It might seem trivial but it pisses me off. Has the price of eggs and flour shot up as well to justify that increase or are they just being greedy ersholes.

    Again tesco, the one near me has put the petrol price up to 166.9, on Tuesday it was 163.9. Sheer greed.
    Ukraine and Russia were 2 of the worlds biggest wheat producers, so the war has driven up the global price of flour. Price of manufacturing food in general has also gone up to due to increase in energy prices meaning storage costs and chilling and heating costs go up. And of course transportation costs have risen as well. Add in increased cost of doing business due to Brexit and resultant supply chain issues and that's where the price rises come from rather than just supermarket greed. Supermarkets are also under pressure to pay suppliers a fair price, so the consumer has to pay in the end.

    Food has been unbelievably cheap relative to income for decades now. But that's all starting to change now and we may have to get used to paying more for food and drink for some time. Supermarkets really don't want to up their prices because it's such a competitive environment- its a last resort for them.

  15. #10184
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ukraine and Russia were 2 of the worlds biggest wheat producers, so the war has driven up the global price of flour. Price of manufacturing food in general has also gone up to due to increase in energy prices meaning storage costs and chilling and heating costs go up. And of course transportation costs have risen as well. Add in increased cost of doing business due to Brexit and resultant supply chain issues and that's where the price rises come from rather than just supermarket greed. Supermarkets are also under pressure to pay suppliers a fair price, so the consumer has to pay in the end.

    Food has been unbelievably cheap relative to income for decades now. But that's all starting to change now and we may have to get used to paying more for food and drink for some time. Supermarkets really don't want to up their prices because it's such a competitive environment- its a last resort for them.
    Good points, I remember when growing up and spending a lot of time at my Grandads house, he had a massive back garden and grew every veg and fruit our climate allowed. He was brilliant and just as good in the kitchen too making soups and apple, pear, crumbles and tarts etc and the only things that needed bought were the occasional flank of mutton, tripe, butter etc, in fact if he could have he would have had chickens, cows and sheep too

    I wonder now with regards food prices going through the roof more people will look to produce their own veg and fruit, renting allotments if no garden space etc. I have a decent sized garden but just wouldnt have the time nor patience but its something I could probably see me doing when I retire

  16. #10185
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    19,595
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ukraine and Russia were 2 of the worlds biggest wheat producers, so the war has driven up the global price of flour. Price of manufacturing food in general has also gone up to due to increase in energy prices meaning storage costs and chilling and heating costs go up. And of course transportation costs have risen as well. Add in increased cost of doing business due to Brexit and resultant supply chain issues and that's where the price rises come from rather than just supermarket greed. Supermarkets are also under pressure to pay suppliers a fair price, so the consumer has to pay in the end.

    Food has been unbelievably cheap relative to income for decades now. But that's all starting to change now and we may have to get used to paying more for food and drink for some time. Supermarkets really don't want to up their prices because it's such a competitive environment- its a last resort for them.
    Iceland stores are taking 10% off prices for over 60s every Tuesday which is quite a decent gesture, I'm not getting into a discussion about the standard of their food.

  17. #10186
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Stand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    30,401
    The fact that Waverley market still have the cheek to charge 30p to use the toilet. The superloos 100 yards away in the Waverley station are now free.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  18. #10187
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Stand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    30,401
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iceland stores are taking 10% off prices for over 60s every Tuesday which is quite a decent gesture, I'm not getting into a discussion about the standard of their food.

    Horrendous, marginally better than Farmfoods.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  19. #10188
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good points, I remember when growing up and spending a lot of time at my Grandads house, he had a massive back garden and grew every veg and fruit our climate allowed. He was brilliant and just as good in the kitchen too making soups and apple, pear, crumbles and tarts etc and the only things that needed bought were the occasional flank of mutton, tripe, butter etc, in fact if he could have he would have had chickens, cows and sheep too

    I wonder now with regards food prices going through the roof more people will look to produce their own veg and fruit, renting allotments if no garden space etc. I have a decent sized garden but just wouldnt have the time nor patience but its something I could probably see me doing when I retire
    Thanks

    As you say I think time is the major issue for a lot of people with growing your own. Probably difficult for a lot of people without a decent sized garden - gardens in new builds these days tend to be quite small.

  20. #10189
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iceland stores are taking 10% off prices for over 60s every Tuesday which is quite a decent gesture, I'm not getting into a discussion about the standard of their food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Horrendous, marginally better than Farmfoods.
    The Iceland CEO seems like a good sort. The stuff in their Food Warehouse stores is a bit better than the original Iceland stores to be fair.

  21. #10190
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    19,595
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Iceland CEO seems like a good sort. The stuff in their Food Warehouse stores is a bit better than the original Iceland stores to be fair.
    I'm sure plenty folk will be grateful enough.

  22. #10191
    Testimonial Due Santa Cruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The Button Moon
    Posts
    3,714
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Iceland CEO seems like a good sort. The stuff in their Food Warehouse stores is a bit better than the original Iceland stores to be fair.
    I've watched him being interviewed a few times and he does come across very well and gives balanced opinions. Gave all his employees an extra holiday (think it was Boxing Day) to thank them for their hard work during the height of the Pandemic. A lot of their own brand food is fine imo.

  23. #10192
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    19,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've watched him being interviewed a few times and he does come across very well and gives balanced opinions. Gave all his employees an extra holiday (think it was Boxing Day) to thank them for their hard work during the height of the Pandemic. A lot of their own brand food is fine imo.
    I'm quite addicted to their Pakora Chicken Strips, I'm not interested in an alternative make at home version.

  24. #10193
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks

    As you say I think time is the major issue for a lot of people with growing your own. Probably difficult for a lot of people without a decent sized garden - gardens in new builds these days tend to be quite small.
    Since its a pet peeves thread I should have added that I ****ing hate gardening so most likely I will plant no veg and stick to cutting the grass only 🤣

  25. #10194
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    30
    Posts
    13,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Price of a pint, 4.80 for a tennents in the Jinglin Geordie a few weeks back. I'm away to London tomorrow and I'll be in a boozer close to Central London thats under 4 a pint.
    Anything short of 5 would seem decent to me (in Edinburgh anyway).

    It was over 6 the last couple of pints I had when out - I&G in Ensign Ewart.
    Mon the Hibs.

  26. #10195
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    23,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since its a pet peeves thread I should have added that I ****ing hate gardening so most likely I will plant no veg and stick to cutting the grass only 🤣
    Growing veg is less labour intensive than cutting the grass IMHO.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  27. #10196
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    23,269
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anything short of 5 would seem decent to me (in Edinburgh anyway).

    It was over 6 the last couple of pints I had when out - I&G in Ensign Ewart.
    I think 5 a pint in the centre of any city is the norm now, apart from the 'Spoons obviously.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  28. #10197
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8,203
    Getting to the point its not worth the price for a pint when out, certainly up town. Can see why coffee shops are popping up everywhere. Probably a good thing for everybody tbf.

  29. #10198
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    30
    Posts
    13,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think 5 a pint in the centre of any city is the norm now, apart from the 'Spoons obviously.
    I think it's the least I'd expect to pay, spoons the exception as you say.

    Although Edinburgh's spoons aren't that far off 5 either.

  30. #10199
    Being completely taken out of a film/ tv series because the otherwise fantastic actors dont know how to use a PlayStation controller properly.

  31. #10200
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Growing veg is less labour intensive than cutting the grass IMHO.
    Oh I know the lie of the land with regards the green fingered stuff, I was a Landscaper for a while, until I broke a nail 🤣

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)