hibs.net Messageboard

Page 339 of 428 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389 ... LastLast
Results 10,141 to 10,170 of 12833

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The impossible task of removing the price label on supermarket flowers.
    Must be your face, they always ask if I want it removed and do it for me 😉

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Must be your face, they always ask if I want it removed and do it for me 😉
    I did that once, and it took her 5 minutes to shred the plastic cover to bits.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Companies that use a trading name for their sales but have their registered company name come through on bank statements and on delivery notifications.

I thought I had a rogue transaction on my bank account but it turns out it was just an online retailer using a different name.

Likewise I’ve just had a message from DPD saying my parcel from Isla Trading is due to be delivered. I don’t recognise that name so I thought it might be some sort of scam. I’ve googled Isla Trading and there is a company of that name registered to the same address as an online kilt accessory retailer I made an order through (that is not called Isla Trading and does not appear on their website), so I can only assume it is that!

Maybe not a peeve as I find it cracking entertainment to read these comments but when someone posts an ad on Facebook for a room or one bed flat to rent in Edinburgh for however many hundred a month and all the comments are of smug people who reply along the lines of “this is a rip off, I rent an entire 10 bed French style chateau for less than this a month”

Well good on you but the price that a lot of these ads mention is actually the going rate in parts of Edinburgh. To get such a good deal, these people either live somewhere other than Edinburgh or there is something dodgy about the arrangement.

There also seems to be a lot implication that where the poster has a foreign sounding name that they must be a scam artist.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    How the human brain works.

Back in 2017 whilst sorting out something to do with my car I was put on hold. It was a bit of instrumental guitar music on loop and it was absolutely banging, but also familiar.

Genuinely racked my brains since for a while after and had largely forgotten about it.

This morning my brain just went to me “By the way, that hold music from five years ago - it’s the guitar solo at the end of Teenage Exorcists by Mogwai”. I didn’t even have music on at the time. Not listened to that song in ages either.

Absolutely no idea why my brain couldn’t offer that up at a relevant time, let alone half a decade later without prompt.

Absolute rip off drink prices.

Now I know that venues that don't open their bars everyday have to add a wee bit on to cover wastage and so on but some places just take the piss. I was at Newmarket for the racing this weekend. £6.95 for a pint of Madri lager, same for an Aspall cider and £7.10 for a single Absolut vodka before mixer. A pint and a vodka and coke was coming in at £15 (which makes the coke poured from a plastic bottle or shared can 95p a pop as well).

I get it. It's a captive market, you don't have to drink it etc etc but come on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Now I know that venues that don't open their bars everyday have to add a wee bit on to cover wastage and so on but some places just take the piss. I was at Newmarket for the racing this weekend. £6.95 for a pint of Madri lager, same for an Aspall cider and £7.10 for a single Absolut vodka before mixer. A pint and a vodka and coke was coming in at £15 (which makes the coke poured from a plastic bottle or shared can 95p a pop as well).

I get it. It's a captive market, you don't have to drink it etc etc but come on.
    I bought a "casual kilt" from one of the touristy places a few year back for £40 or so. Did some work to the lining so it can fit four tins into the inside with a pocket and elastic to keep it steady.

You need to make sure you've got the kilt on tight so it doesn't fall down but it works an absolute treat

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    £7.50 for hotdog and fries at East Links.

A finger roll, a sausage that came out of a jar and a smattering of chips. Seven pounds fifty. Jesus wept.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Barstaff who have no idea who is next to be served at a busyish bar and randomly select the person who has just rocked up to the bar whilst others have been waiting for ages. Complete incompetence, they need to pay more attention to what's going on.

The situation can be retrieved by the newcomer acting like a true hero who redirects the bartender by saying others were first ( assuming its obvious that is the case). The hero then must be gratefully thanked and everyone is happy.

If the new arrival shamefully starts barking out his order when they are obviously jumping ahead then the rage heightens to a new level of fury. One last chance to save the day can be made by you ( or another) acting as bar policeman and attempting to redirect the barstaff to serve people in the correct order. If this fails then you can either lose the rag completely and risk the chance of getting chucked out or just walk out in a huff and deny them of your custom voluntarily.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Barstaff who have no idea who is next to be served at a busyish bar and randomly select the person who has just rocked up to the bar whilst others have been waiting for ages. Complete incompetence, they need to pay more attention to what's going on.

The situation can be retrieved by the newcomer acting like a true hero who redirects the bartender by saying others were first ( assuming its obvious that is the case). The hero then must be gratefully thanked and everyone is happy.

If the new arrival shamefully starts barking out his order when they are obviously jumping ahead then the rage heightens to a new level of fury. One last chance to save the day can be made by you ( or another) acting as bar policeman and attempting to redirect the barstaff to serve people in the correct order. If this fails then you can either lose the rag completely and risk the chance of getting chucked out or just walk out in a huff and deny them of your custom voluntarily.
    Happened to me in Robbie’s. Got fed up and said to the guy I’m next, I was ignored again so had another attempt to put my money in their tills and was told I wasn’t getting served!
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Happened to me in Robbie’s. Got fed up and said to the guy I’m next, I was ignored again so had another attempt to put my money in their tills and was told I wasn’t getting served!
    Same happened to me in McSorley's when a barman predictably served a good looking girl who he watched just walk up to the bar. This really is the most pathetic simping behaviour from a weak coward of a beta-male barman. And it will never get them their leg over as she will never respect him for placing her on a pedestal
    Last edited by LaMotta; 04-05-2022 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Same happened to me in McSorley's when a barman predictably served a good looking girl who he watched just walk up to the bar. This really is the most pathetic simping behaviour from a weak coward of a beta-male barman. And it will never get them their leg over as she will never respect him for placing her on a pedestal
    Never heard of "treat them mean, keep them keen" then?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Never heard of "treat them mean, keep them keen" then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CkWT8yWNw 23 minutes in. I get that its a music festival but $52 or just over 41 quid for THREE beers is a robbery works out at around £13.80 for a pint

People who dismiss anything if it comes from Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is a great resource. I wouldn't be using it to write a dissertation but for quick reference it's great. For things like football it's brilliant for finding out results from a particular season as most teams have detailed season by season break downs going back years. The more recent seasons also have reference links to the BBC or equivalent match reports so you can get the attendance, line ups, referee, match stats etc. It's also been handy in recent days for checking historical election results. The level of detail on a constituency by constituency or even council ward basis is unrivalled (certainly in terms of being easy to access and easy to understand).

The best part is everything is referenced and if it's not, it will be often be flagged as such. It takes no time at all to read the source material and decide if you agree or disagree with the take of the Wikipedia author. Like many reference resources I think a lot of people just don't really understand how it works or know how to use it properly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

People who dismiss anything if it comes from Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is a great resource. I wouldn't be using it to write a dissertation but for quick reference it's great. For things like football it's brilliant for finding out results from a particular season as most teams have detailed season by season break downs going back years. The more recent seasons also have reference links to the BBC or equivalent match reports so you can get the attendance, line ups, referee, match stats etc. It's also been handy in recent days for checking historical election results. The level of detail on a constituency by constituency or even council ward basis is unrivalled (certainly in terms of being easy to access and easy to understand).

The best part is everything is referenced and if it's not, it will be often be flagged as such. It takes no time at all to read the source material and decide if you agree or disagree with the take of the Wikipedia author. Like many reference resources I think a lot of people just don't really understand how it works or know how to use it properly.
    Wiki was most of my uni references. The idea that you can’t use Wikipedia in writing is as out dated as not having calculators in maths exams.!

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by ClewsHibs View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CkWT8yWNw 23 minutes in. I get that its a music festival but $52 or just over 41 quid for THREE beers is a robbery works out at around £13.80 for a pint
    I’ve been addicted to this channel since you posted this, absolutely brilliant!

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Over use of 'utter' or ' utterly' on .net

Use of 'gate' at the end of any supposed scandal.

Watergate was called such because the events took place in the Watergate building. If you applied the same logic as ferrygate, currygate or partygate then it would have been the Watergategate scandal.

Lifts. Piss taking ****ers. You push the button and they do nothing for ages, a number starts counting up to your floor - only to stop one short then go down again. Then the door you didn’t expect opens.

They know what they’re up to.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

When you normally start work at 9am but someone puts a meeting in your diary for 8am first thing on a Monday morning, making a big deal about how it could only be at that time, then after rearranging things and rushing around, the person who wanted the meeting doesn’t show up until 8.45 because they “forgot all about it”.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    When you normally start work at 9am but someone puts a meeting in your diary for 8am first thing on a Monday morning, making a big deal about how it could only be at that time, then after rearranging things and rushing around, the person who wanted the meeting doesn’t show up until 8.45 because they “forgot all about it”.

How annoying is that ?

Make sure his/her boss knows about it !

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I'm raging just reading this. No meeting should ever be on a Monday morning, and especially not before 9am.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    T-shirt sizings. More specifically what seems to be a trend to make them really long. Doesn’t matter if they’re at the cheap or expensive end of the scale. Never had this issue until the last few years but they feel more like dresses than t-shirts.

While I’m moaning about t-shirts, fits with square shoulders that even after washing and ironing still look like they have a coat hanger in them or where you could fit three peoples arms into the sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    T-shirt sizings. More specifically what seems to be a trend to make them really long. Doesn’t matter if they’re at the cheap or expensive end of the scale. Never had this issue until the last few years but they feel more like dresses than t-shirts.

While I’m moaning about t-shirts, fits with square shoulders that even after washing and ironing still look like they have a coat hanger in them or where you could fit three peoples arms into the sleeve.
    Can't say I've noticed that as I would love that as for my height, I have a comparatively long body and short legs. A lot of T-shirts, shirts, jumpers, etc. aren't long enough for me compared to my size for other areas of my upper body. For example, I'm probably an XL for my chest, weight, etc. but need to go to a XXL to get it to go slightly past my waist.

The skewed sense of distance that sometimes exists in Scotland. I had someone cancel a meeting on me for tomorrow because he would have had to travel from Linlithgow to Falkirk and it would 'take me out my way'. The distance is 8 miles.

I suppose it's to be expected as we live in a small country and a huge chunk of the population live within an hours drive of each other. We just don't comprehend distance in the same way as somewhere like the USA because there are very few really long journeys to be had. You can drive the length of the country comfortably in a day.

The skewed sense of distance that sometimes exists in Scotland. I had someone cancel a meeting on me for tomorrow because he would have had to travel from Linlithgow to Falkirk and it would 'take me out my way'. The distance is 8 miles.

I suppose it's to be expected as we live in a small country and a huge chunk of the population live within an hours drive of each other. We just don't comprehend distance in the same way as somewhere like the USA because there are very few really long journeys to be had. You can drive the length of the country comfortably in a day.
    Totally agree with this. I live in bathgate. The old man is in linlithgow and it always feels like a trek. Its 20 minutes ffs!!

Whereas in the US or somewhere similar, they'll be driving 20 odd hours as if its nothing.

It's odd we see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Totally agree with this. I live in bathgate. The old man is in linlithgow and it always feels like a trek. Its 20 minutes ffs!!

Whereas in the US or somewhere similar, they'll be driving 20 odd hours as if its nothing.

It's odd we see it that way.
    I think it was Bill Bryson who wrote in one of his books that people in the UK spend 3 weeks planning for a trip that is about the same distance as someone in California would happily drive to pick up a burrito and a coke.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    The wind, I'm a keen fly fisher and can we not just have a few days of nice sunshine and a very slight breeze instead of the sunshine being accompanied by 20+mph winds? Murder for casting unless you're lucky enough to find a spot with the wind behind you.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Yep

My in laws live in Perth, and any time they come to visit they’re here for several hours, so that ‘the trip is worthwhile’ - it’s 45 minutes, hardly a long trip