Ahh the dangers of real ale

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can try that post again without the needlessly aggressive tone
    It's okay, mate. I think he's been enjoying the real ale
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    How does one say that the other doesn't have a clue about the subject other than sounding that wee bit condescending or cruel. Its not easy? Probably banned for saying the truth. I wasn't abusive but nae worries. The clique is the main thing not free speech. Bye/

Quote Originally Posted by Block View Post
    How does one say that the other doesn't have a clue about the subject other than sounding that wee bit condescending or cruel. Its not easy? Probably banned for saying the truth. I wasn't abusive but nae worries. The clique is the main thing not free speech. Bye/
    Weekend posting when leathered; we've all done it

The other poster never claimed to have any knowledge of real ale, in fact stated the opposite. You’re the only one who brought real ale up!

you’re unnecessarily aggressive in almost every post I read of yours, that’s nothing to do with free speech or cliques

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Well this thread took an interesting turn overnight!

Looks like someone can't tell difference between lager and real ale!

Which relates to a pet peeve to get this back ontrack,

Folks that spout off about real this, real ale that and look down on others that drink lager.
    When I come across it they've normally 'had a few' so I'm assuming they actually can't handle their drink of choice!

I've a work colleague down south who is on the CAMRA board and he's not anything like that at all, we've even had lager together when in some less salubrious establishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post

Folks that spout off about real this, real ale that and look down on others that drink lager.
    When I come across it they've normally 'had a few' so I'm assuming they actually can't handle their drink of choice!

I've a work colleague down south who is on the CAMRA board and he's not anything like that at all, we've even had lager together when in some less salubrious establishments.
    I reckon he must have a hangover from hell this morning

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Restaurants and pubs/bars that keep different hours to those stated on their websites.

That’s a few times over the past couple of weeks where we’ve turned up somewhere having checked the opening hours/food serving hours on their website only to find it shut or turned away because they are closed or told they stop serving food at a different time as what’s stated on their website.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post

There’s a pet peeve: pointless snobbery.

Musical and alcohol are the two worst. People who refer to tennants as cats piss etc etc are the worst: if you don’t like it I’m not going to force it down you.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Musical and alcohol are the two worst. People who refer to tennants as cats piss etc etc are the worst: if you don’t like it I’m not going to force it down you.
    Tennents provokes a real reaction.

Whenever it is mentioned online there is a queue of people desperate to tell you how much they hate it. It's like they are terrified that if they don't get their comment in they will be tainted by some kind of association.

I like good beer and other good alcohol and will happily pay more where I think it is merited. If I go to a shop that has Augusteiner Helles I'll stock up regardless of the price as one example. The generic, mass produced lagers most 'mainstream' pubs sell all taste broadly the same though. You get the odd one that has something like Pilsner Urquell on that stands out but most of the usual suspects are all about perception. If I'm in a boozer that has 4 or 5 of said lagers on then I'll order Tennents. Primarily because a well poured, well kept pint of Tennents is nice and I like it. Secondly because I'm not paying x amount more for a pint of Stella that tastes similar and at the end of the day leads to the exact same outcome.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    A well kept pint of Tennents is fantastic. But the canned stuff is rank these days, no snobbery from me, just hate the taste of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    A well kept pint of Tennents is fantastic. But the canned stuff is rank these days, no snobbery from me, just hate the taste of it.
    I think canned beer in general is just pretty rank. You get exceptions, usually from places with relatively low production volume. The mass produced stuff can sit for months before you drink it though and that's always going to impact the quality.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think canned beer in general is just pretty rank. You get exceptions, usually from places with relatively low production volume. The mass produced stuff can sit for months before you drink it though and that's always going to impact the quality.
    Lager, definitely, apart from Peroni which still seems to be imported. It's the only canned lager I can drink and it's doing the job nicely at the moment

I know it’s meant to be funny and wind up rangers fans, but it’s getting a bit tiresome reading posts along the lines of …’there’s no such club as rangers, they died years ago, etc etc’, or the extended equivalent…’stop saying old firm, they don’t exist since rangers died’

aye, we all know, and I doubt there’s many rangers fans likely to be reading our threads, please stop spamming us 😊

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    People who play loud music in their gardens and aren't able to occasionally enjoy the peace.

There's a couple who live near us who can't be in their garden without blasting out god awful music out of their living room window and it spoils anyone elses opportunity to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet. It really annoys me.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I know it’s meant to be funny and wind up rangers fans, but it’s getting a bit tiresome reading posts along the lines of …’there’s no such club as rangers, they died years ago, etc etc’, or the extended equivalent…’stop saying old firm, they don’t exist since rangers died’

aye, we all know, and I doubt there’s many rangers fans likely to be reading our threads, please stop spamming us 😊
    That's annoyed me for ages.

'Rangers in a couple of weeks'
    'Don't you mean THE Rangers? Ha ha ha'

It was mildly amusing about 8 years ago.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar

I get this. I'd add comedians. The number of folk who go out their way to post 'they don't see whats funny about...". Music, comedy, books is all personal taste. We've all got our own filters, the stuff we like, the stuff we don't and the stuff in the middle. If you don't like it, its probably not for you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I completely agree. As an aside I was in mamma roma tonight and they do a cracking draught birra morreti. I have no problem at all with a pint of tennants, it’s more than decent if served well.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!

Music and Alcohol Ahh, heaven sent heady mix of wanton debauchery. Don't kid yersel. Some of the best music ever was written and performed under the influence of alcohol or drugs. As for Tennent's lager, dearie me. Total and utter waste of pish.

The daytime 'Soccer Saturday' type show being called Sportscene as well as the nighttime highlights show, meaning I end up with 2 recordings every Saturday instead of just one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    **** cover songs, specifically taking a great tune and covering it in the style of a busker. That god awful one of Robyn’s ‘Dancing On My Own’ is a prime example. Original was a banger, cover was absolutely dire and charmless.
    I read this post about 4 days ago and had to search up the original version as I really didn’t know how it sounded - which was in itself quite embarrassing considering the line of work that I used to be in.

All I’ll say is thanks. It’s been on a continuous loop in my head since then! 🙄

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    **** cover songs, specifically taking a great tune and covering it in the style of a busker. That god awful one of Robyn’s ‘Dancing On My Own’ is a prime example. Original was a banger, cover was absolutely dire and charmless.
    I'm sure I already posted about this on this thread as it really does my head in.

What's worse are radio stations who then act as if the originals don't exist as they're no longer played.

I still remember my daughters commenting on Tears for Fears "cover" of Mad World the first time they heard it.

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    I would imagine there could be quite an impact in their UK sales by reducing the strength. I assume it's still 5.2% in Europe if it's an import matter.

4.6% Stella doesn't taste anywhere near like what it did before. There are far better lagers around between 4.6-5.0%, I don't even consider it now when I'm shopping for beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    I would imagine there could be quite an impact in their UK sales by reducing the strength. I assume it's still 5.2% in Europe if it's an import matter.

4.6% Stella doesn't taste anywhere near like what it did before. There are far better lagers around between 4.6-5.0%, I don't even consider it now when I'm shopping for beer.
    Way behind on all of this interesting discussion. The dropping of ABV has always been a regular tactic for brewers normally to make it cheaper to manufacture (less duty to HMRC) whilst keeping the rate charged to On or Off Trade customers the same i.e. better margins.

Doing it to Premium brands (normally 5% plus) is difficult and can end up damaging the long term premiumisation of the Brand, short term gains long term effect not so good.

Interestingly note to this trend was Heineken, way back the UK was the single market in the world where a lower ABV was brewed, rational in the 70's was the British session drinker could not handle sessions on the 5% job lol. About 15/20 years ago they completely withdrew the low ABV from the UK then reintroduced back as the global 5%.

Music and Alcohol Ahh, heaven sent heady mix of wanton debauchery. Don't kid yersel. Some of the best music ever was written and performed under the influence of alcohol or drugs. As for Tennent's lager, dearie me. Total and utter waste of pish.

Ahhhhh our resident beer snob! How about you enjoy your IPA’s and your unfiltered, unfettered brown flat beer with twigs in and I’ll enjoy what I like an all.

As an aside I haven’t got a ****ing clue what you’re on about 😂
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I would like to add, on the whole lager v real ale debate, I can't handle the gaseousnes of lager, it's a health thing, so prefer the 'flat' real ale, that doesn't release co2 into the atmosphere 😉
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I would like to add, on the whole lager v real ale debate, I can't handle the gaseousnes of lager, it's a health thing, so prefer the 'flat' real ale, that doesn't release co2 into the atmosphere 😉
    I carbon offset by only eating steak 5 nights a week.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Thinking you can get away with a basket at the supermarket then staggering around trying to carry the thing with 3 heavy items still to get.

This is probably a generational thing, but the tendency of people generally aged between 20 and 30 who go on a two week holiday and then define themselves as "globe trotters".

No one of that generation can simply just go on a holiday anymore, oh no, everything has to be conveyed as some sort of Indiana Jones styled adventure.

I think it can be summed up with the type of knobends who posts the "inspirational" quotes on Instagram to show just how "inspirational" their trip is, usually accompanied by a photo with them looking "inspired" with their back to the camera as if no one has the faintest idea of just how set up the entire scene is.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    This is probably a generational thing, but the tendency of people generally aged between 20 and 30 who go on a two week holiday and then define themselves as "globe trotters".

No one of that generation can simply just go on a holiday anymore, oh no, everything has to be conveyed as some sort of Indiana Jones styled adventure.

I think it can be summed up with the type of knobends who posts the "inspirational" quotes on Instagram to show just how "inspirational" their trip is, usually accompanied by a photo with them looking "inspired" with their back to the camera as if no one has the faintest idea of just how set up the entire scene is.
    I had the misfortune to find myself in a group of young backpackers in Khaosan road, Bangkok. The conversation was pretty much "so have you been to Koh Samui"...YES
    Oh, "so have you done pacific coast highway"...Yes
    Oh "so have you done Morocco"...YES
    Oh "so have you done Machu Pichu"...No
    Oh you havent lived unless you've done Machu Pichu...assholes!