hibs.net Messageboard

Page 297 of 428 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347397 ... LastLast
Results 8,881 to 8,910 of 12829

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I'm having a conversation with someone about Independence and they mention Westmonster the conversations done. How can it be taken seriously? Usually said by middle aged men who use a lot of dad jokes in my experience.
    What about football, the current buns, jam tarts, Darkheid, Ipox, Cabbage and Ribs, Rantic, Hampden Roar and all the other wee word games and puns. Life would be incredibly dreary without a wee bit of colour, including in language.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    What about football, the current buns, jam tarts, Darkheid, Ipox, Cabbage and Ribs, Rantic, Hampden Roar and all the other wee word games and puns. Life would be incredibly dreary without a wee bit of colour, including in language.
    That's not the same. It's not words I use but its fitba banter. I'm talking in proper conversations. Anybody who knows me will tell you I can use very colourful language though

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm partial to the odd word game and pun.
    Hate it with a passion, especially the stupid pun headlines in the daily papers. Some prick writes these things and an even bigger prick OK's them!

Some of that is awful 'banter'.

Add in St Midden, Murderwell, Castle Greyskull (which doesn't even make sense as that was the home of the good guys), THE Rangers (the simply must be capitalised), Tinycastle and a million others.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I'm not pretending to have superior knowledge. It's not even something I'd thought about until it was brought up on here and I can understand why some people think it doesn't rotate.
    Which is fair enough until someone challenges your thought.

The sensible thing is to then use the world wide encyclopaedia now know as Google to check your thought...that would quickly show that it does and why you only see one side.

The alternative is you pile onto the flat Earth society extension on Facebook and spout total nonsense to the very person that knew it rotated in the first place!

Weird how some folk choose the latter route like it’s still 1980 and they can’t be proven wrong there and then!

I had similar in the pub once...dunno how it came up but someone spouted that the Tories could never get a majority in Scotland..never had, never will. I politely informed him that the 1950’s disproved that fact. Nope he wasn’t having it. So I googled said GE results and showed him that the Tories had won twice in 1951 and 1955. Amazingly despite the evidence being there in front of his face he still denied it had ever happened and that it never could or would!

I mean what can you do with people like that!!

That's not the same. It's not words I use but its fitba banter. I'm talking in proper conversations. Anybody who knows me will tell you I can use very colourful language though
    I know where you're coming from, I just like to expand on some things and try and put myself in the heads of others based on what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Hate it with a passion, especially the stupid pun headlines in the daily papers. Some prick writes these things and an even bigger prick OK's them!
    Ouch, what about us pricks that buy them

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Some of that is awful 'banter'.

Add in St Midden, Murderwell, Castle Greyskull (which doesn't even make sense as that was the home of the good guys), THE Rangers (the simply must be capitalised), Tinycastle and a million others.
    Aye, but awful banter can be a great source of amusement.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ouch, what about us pricks that buy them
    Haha...no comment!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

The sensible thing is to then use the world wide encyclopaedia now know as Google to check your thought...that would quickly show that it does and why you only see one side.

The alternative is you pile onto the flat Earth society extension on Facebook and spout total nonsense to the very person that knew it rotated in the first place!

Weird how some folk choose the latter route like it’s still 1980 and they can’t be proven wrong there and then!

I had similar in the pub once...dunno how it came up but someone spouted that the Tories could never get a majority in Scotland..never had, never will. I politely informed him that the 1950’s disproved that fact. Nope he wasn’t having it. So I googled said GE results and showed him that the Tories had won twice in 1951 and 1955. Amazingly despite the evidence being there in front of his face he still denied it had ever happened and that it never could or would!

You’ll love this one
    https://twitter.com/_stateoffb/statu...738832389?s=21

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Tinycastle
    Probably the aptest neologism since Shakespeare's time. For decades a football club goes on and on and on about how much bigger they are than their rivals, then spends £200 million building the world-beatingest, war-winningest, glassiest new stadium imaginable, and lies about its size. It turns out to be smaller than their rivals'. Never mind awful banter, it should be compulsory on here.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Finding out that whoever put the bathroom in our home before we moved in made an almighty hash of the plumbing and it's now going to cost several thousand to fix. We're quite frankly just as cheap to get a new bathroom put in which we'll probably end up doing, but it's still a massive, massive headache.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Aye, but awful banter can be a great source of amusement.
    Usually only for the banterer

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Finding out that whoever put the bathroom in our home before we moved in made an almighty hash of the plumbing and it's now going to cost several thousand to fix. We're quite frankly just as cheap to get a new bathroom put in which we'll probably end up doing, but it's still a massive, massive headache.
    Are you at all handy?

I've replaced a toilet and inset wash hand basin. All by being careful to see how it comes apart. Seriously, quite simple.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

You mean like 'Bluenose'?

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

Oh, that's a pet peeve of mine.

The *Tories* didn't win a majority in Scotland in 51 and 55: the Scottish Unionist Party did. They were indepedent and distinctive from the Conservatives, even though they took the Tory whip at Westminster, as did the Ulster Unionist Party. They were merged into the Tories to form the Conservative and Unionist Party in the 60s and have been going downhill here ever since.

So, in a sense, your pubversary was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

The *Tories* didn't win a majority in Scotland in 51 and 55: the Scottish Unionist Party did. They were indepedent and distinctive from the Conservatives, even though they took the Tory whip at Westminster, as did the Ulster Unionist Party. They were merged into the Tories to form the Conservative and Unionist Party in the 60s and have been going downhill here ever since.

I can assure you the conversation was not that nuanced ;-)

And if you take the conservative whip at Westminster that nuance really didn’t matter anyway!

Would you say that the CDU didn't win the last election in Germany?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    When you arrive in the office after a month of working at home to find that nothing is working in tems of IT - network, server, internet, telephone - nothing. When the IT guy arrives when you're in a meeting and leaves saying it's Orange's fault as they distibute the IP addresses for our equipment. When you then kick up 'a fuss' on the telphone to tell him to get his backside back and get it fixed.

When having come back he discovers that the problem is 100% down to me making an arse of plugging my PCs (2) back in and creating a loop in the circuit.

Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    When you arrive in the office after a month of working at home to find that nothing is working in tems of IT - network, server, internet, telephone - nothing. When the IT guy arrives when you're in a meeting and leaves saying it's Orange's fault as they distibute the IP addresses for our equipment. When you then kick up 'a fuss' on the telphone to tell him to get his backside back and get it fixed.

When having come back he discovers that the problem is 100% down to me making an arse of plugging my PCs (2) back in and creating a loop in the circuit.

Oops!

In summary, your pet peeve is French people (guilty or not).

Sounds fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Would you say that the CDU didn't win the last election in Germany?

Not in Bavaria they didn't.

Not in Bavaria they didn't.

A rose by any other name...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    A rose by any other name...
    I think there's more to it than a name. I don't think it's a coincidence that distinctively Scottish Unionists pushing Scotland's agenda but from within the Union did better than a subsidiary branch of the UK Tories has done since. You see the same dynamic in Quebec where the Coalition Avenir Quebec are dedicated to Quebec's interests but within the Canadian Federation.

I think there is a gap in the Scottish politics market for Unionists not controlled from London and they would probably supplant the current Con/Lab/Libs were such a grouping to emerge.

I don't know enough about CSU/CDU to comment if it's a similar thing.

Anyway, I realise I have just put Indy on yet another non-Indy thread.

Anyone got a peeve about that?

@hibs.net private member
    I think there's more to it than a name. I don't think it's a coincidence that distinctively Scottish Unionists pushing Scotland's agenda but from within the Union did better than a subsidiary branch of the UK Tories has done since. You see the same dynamic in Quebec where the Coalition Avenir Quebec are dedicated to Quebec's interests but within the Canadian Federation.

I think there is a gap in the Scottish politics market for Unionists not controlled from London and they would probably supplant the current Con/Lab/Libs were such a grouping to emerge.

I don't know enough about CSU/CDU to comment if it's a similar thing.

Anyway, I realise I have just put Indy on yet another non-Indy thread.

Anyone got a peeve about that?

Nothing peeves me any more.....

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before but articles that are about people who I think we are supposed to aspire to but are just smug bull**** completely lacking in anything resembling self awareness.

I read one recently featuring a woman talking about the 'secret' to paying of a mortgage before the age of 40. She blabbed on for a bit about working hard and trying to save a bit and basically all the stuff that loads of people try to do. Then she casually mentioned the substantial monetary gift from her parents to put down as a deposit on 3 buy to let flats. Oh then she married a man who already had a mortgage on a £400K house with over 50% of it paid off. She then sold 2 off her properties at a huge profit to pay off most of the rest. The 'secret' there is having wealthy parents. I'm sure she does work hard and I'm sure using coupons to save a few pounds a month at the shops helps but loads of people do that and don't have the same advantages.

There's loads of it about. People boasting about their amazing lifestyles thanks to their 'side hustle' on Etsy before casually dropping in the 6 figure trust fund as a throwaway line.

I'm not going to decry someone for being in a fortunate financial position and having a few advantages or privileges in life but at least have a bit awareness of them.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before but articles that are about people who I think we are supposed to aspire to but are just smug bull**** completely lacking in anything resembling self awareness.

I read one recently featuring a woman talking about the 'secret' to paying of a mortgage before the age of 40. She blabbed on for a bit about working hard and trying to save a bit and basically all the stuff that loads of people try to do. Then she casually mentioned the substantial monetary gift from her parents to put down as a deposit on 3 buy to let flats. Oh then she married a man who already had a mortgage on a £400K house with over 50% of it paid off. She then sold 2 off her properties at a huge profit to pay off most of the rest. The 'secret' there is having wealthy parents. I'm sure she does work hard and I'm sure using coupons to save a few pounds a month at the shops helps but loads of people do that and don't have the same advantages.

There's loads of it about. People boasting about their amazing lifestyles thanks to their 'side hustle' on Etsy before casually dropping in the 6 figure trust fund as a throwaway line.

I'm not going to decry someone for being in a fortunate financial position and having a few advantages or privileges in life but at least have a bit awareness of them.
    Hearts could bring out an article about how to be a successful Championship club, casually forgetting about FoH, the benefactor (and Brora for that matter)

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Donald Trump the self-made man who denies receiving hundreds of millions from his father?

Aha I’m sure I read the same article and thought exactly the same!

Basically if you have capital you can make more....the big revelation of money makes money if yer half sensible!

As you say there is tons of that type of thing about and it’s well deserving of a peeve!

The term 'Cultural Appropriation' and how widely it's used for things that are just so trivial (and ridiculous).

White guy dares to get deadlocks and is decried for 'Cultural Appropriation', because it's a 'black thing' (that was actually the phrase used).

White Chef dares to make some Caribbean food on a TV show and it's 'Cultural Appropriation'.

Millions of people the world over sent their kids to school in tartan kilts.

Q: Is that 'Cultural Appropriation'?
    A: Who gives a ****!

That actually reminds me of a series of articles by a newspaper - one seems to have a vendetta against the food writer and activist Jack Monroe who learned how to feed herself and her child through tinned and frozen food for literally pennies a meal. She's since published cookbooks of these recipes to help those in that position to be able to recreate it. Brilliant, but as she's left wing and LGBTQ+ she constantly gets a pasting from this paper.

The same paper ran a story about a middle class mother who has a YouTube channel posting videos of her making recipes from the "use by today" yellow sticker items from supermarkets - in other words not something that can be replicated unless you get the exact same things from the yellow sticker section on a different day. She was described as "clever" and was praised heavily.

Funny how the one who publishes something actually useful is the one who gets panned.