hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 285 of 286 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286 LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,550 of 8565

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

  1. #8521
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Osprey Heights
    Posts
    29,356
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Our 5 year anniversary "


    Don't tell me you forgot?




  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #8522
    @hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But when it's said that something shouldn't be taken literally, it means that what's been said isn't 100% accurate.

    Therefore if what you say is true, someone can say "He was literally dead on his feet - but don't take that literally"?

    My brain hurts (not literally).
    You're probably not going to much like that 'loosen' and 'unloosen' have literally the same meaning.

  4. #8523
    @hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,752
    Earworms. Got that ******* Nobody's Child ringing round ma heid all day.

  5. #8524
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    25,405
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Earworms. Got that ******* Nobody's Child ringing round ma heid all day.
    Is that my fault?

  6. #8525
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're probably not going to much like that 'loosen' and 'unloosen' have literally the same meaning.
    Naw, I'm no' having that.

  7. #8526
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Osprey Heights
    Posts
    29,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Naw, I'm no' having that.

    How about flammable and inflammable?

  8. #8527
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about flammable and inflammable?
    Aaaargh! My head's just literally exploded!

  9. #8528
    @hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,752
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that my fault?
    You and your ******* brothers on the ******* Sydney De*******vine thread.

  10. #8529
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    25,405
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You and your ******* brothers on the ******* Sydney Devine thread.
    Ahhh.... nobody wants you.

  11. #8530
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,462
    This is a contentious one but when Alan Stubbs is interviewed after the cup final and he says "Every cloud has a silver lining, and today we got that silver lining".

    He's a legend and if he punched me in the face I'd still applaud him, but that's now how that saying works, Alan.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  12. #8531
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    11,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a contentious one but when Alan Stubbs is interviewed after the cup final and he says "Every cloud has a silver lining, and today we got that silver lining".

    He's a legend and if he punched me in the face I'd still applaud him, but that's now how that saying works, Alan.
    He was referencing the fact that we had lost a prior cup final and critically not got promoted so the season as a whole was the cloud no?

    Seems to me a quite apt description with a nice play on words at the same time.

  13. #8532
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    43,178
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gregg Wallace. No programme can’t be ruined by him shouting PHWOOOAAAR at a cheese and pickle sandwich.
    If you watch Masterchef and imagine Gregg Wallace as Peter Griffin from Family Guy, it’s uncanny how many times he makes similar expressions.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  14. #8533
    I'm not sure if I'm reading too many forums or social media posts of American persuasion but the increase in the use of the word "hustle" to describe any type of work is infuriating and should be met with a year in the gulags.


    Throw in the LinkedIn "what side hustle have you developed during lockdown?" psots and I'm close to doing time.

  15. #8534
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17,905
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure if I'm reading too many forums or social media posts of American persuasion but the increase in the use of the word "hustle" to describe any type of work is infuriating and should be met with a year in the gulags.


    Throw in the LinkedIn "what side hustle have you developed during lockdown?" psots and I'm close to doing time.
    Van McCoy will be turning in his grave. 😀

  16. #8535
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,462
    People in supermarkets who block the entire aisle with their trolley when looking at things or worse, having a natter with someone.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  17. #8536
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    10,769
    Just watching that Zoo show on bbc 2, and they’re feeding the animals food that comes from a market that sells its food for human consumption. How in 21st century Scotland can we not have a system that means food that gets chucked out from supermarkets goes to animals? Fair play to the zoo for buying it though. £500 a day on fresh fruit and veg apparently.

  18. #8537
    UK commentators pronouncing LA as Los Angelees. Its "Los Angelis". I know this because I have an ex girlfriend and many friends who live in California. Its always bugged me this one.

  19. #8538
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UK commentators pronouncing LA as Los Angelees. Its "Los Angelis". I know this because I have an ex girlfriend and many friends who live in California. Its always bugged me this one.
    French people who know better than me how to spell my surname.

    "M A C D..."

    - No, it's M C D

    "Vous źtes sūr (are you sure)?"

    - Yes.

    Then they type/write

    "MC DON..."

    - No, there's no space between the C & the D.

    "Vous źtes sūr?"

    - Yes

    ... and so on.

  20. #8539
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UK commentators pronouncing LA as Los Angelees. Its "Los Angelis". I know this because I have an ex girlfriend and many friends who live in California. Its always bugged me this one.

    How do you pronounce San Francisco ?

  21. #8540
    The Cambridge dictionary actually gives distinctive pronunciations of Los Angeles for both British and American English. Either is acceptable.

  22. #8541
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Osprey Heights
    Posts
    29,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    French people who know better than me how to spell my surname.

    "M A C D..."

    - No, it's M C D

    "Vous źtes sūr (are you sure)?"

    - Yes.

    Then they type/write

    "MC DON..."

    - No, there's no space between the C & the D.

    "Vous źtes sūr?"

    - Yes

    ... and so on.

    Same in Germany.

    I blame MacDonalds!


  23. #8542
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Gross Kienitz
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same in Germany.

    I blame MacDonalds!

    In Germany they pronounce it Meck-Doe-nalds, but I've kind of gotten used to that, what really grips my excrement is how they pronounce Douglas, the have a chain of perfumery of that name and pronounce it Dooglass, makes me want to scream.

  24. #8543
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,166
    Passive/aggressive comments....nae need!

    Walking along a path that leads to a supermarket, family come towards me and as if I'm Moses, they part ways. Husband laden with bags one side, Wife with the oversized push chair the other. Conscious of social distancing I slow down my approach to allow them to pick a side, but they don't so I carefully pick my way through them. The guy then turns around and bellows a "nae borra pal!". I looked back and just shook my head. What exactly did they want me to do???

  25. #8544
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    French people who know better than me how to spell my surname.

    "M A C D..."

    - No, it's M C D

    "Vous źtes sūr (are you sure)?"

    - Yes.

    Then they type/write

    "MC DON..."

    - No, there's no space between the C & the D.

    "Vous źtes sūr?"

    - Yes

    ... and so on.

    believe it or not I’ve had more than a few similar conversations in Scotland

  26. #8545
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,893
    On the name front, it was a pain in the backside when giving my ex-wife’s maiden name of Rhodes. Even where you spelled it out and suffixed it with “like the Greek island” it would inevitably appear as Rose or Ross or, even worse, Roads.

    Edit: and currently it is a pain in the backside when giving my girlfriend’s first name of Paula. She’s about to complete on the sale of her flat and she pointed out to the solicitor that all the documentation has her down as Paul.

    And that’s without mentioning my first name which is one where there are a few different spelling variations out there.
    Last edited by overdrive; 24-02-2021 at 08:24 PM.

  27. #8546
    @hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same in Germany.

    I blame MacDonalds!

    Nothing worse, well few things worse, well loads of things worse actually, than hearing young people talk about "maccy dees". Too lazy to learn to say "mccy dees" properly?

  28. #8547
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing worse, well few things worse, well loads of things worse actually, than hearing young people talk about "maccy dees". Too lazy to learn to say "mccy dees" properly?
    In France it's abbreviated to mack-doa.

  29. #8548
    How fitba commentators have started to use the word “delicious “ at every opportunity

  30. #8549
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Cambridge dictionary actually gives distinctive pronunciations of Los Angeles for both British and American English. Either is acceptable.
    Not to a local it isn't.

  31. #8550
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    25,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to a local it isn't.
    How do you pronounce Paris? 😉

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)