hibs.net Messageboard

Page 276 of 428 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278286326376 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,280 of 12833

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

I listen to my tunes in the taxi by plugging it into the Aux with the appropriate cable. Every now and then when blasting out some rock my phone decides to lower the bloody volume as listening at high volume can damage my ears, erm help it's plugged into the Aux and through my speakers and I'll decide what volume to face mot the bloidy phone.
    Last edited by J-C; 25-12-2020 at 08:07 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Spelling the word diarrhoea(I had to google that) it’s almost as excruciating as the symptoms. Anyone who had to fill a sick line In knows what I’m talking about.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spelling the word diarrhoea(I had to google that) it’s almost as excruciating as the symptoms. Anyone who had to fill a sick line In knows what I’m talking about.
    Easy, just put down the shi ts.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I don't think this will come across easily over text but I know this by the way my Geography teacher used to tell us (I can't remember the context...perhaps it's a symptom of malaria?)...

D.I. arrho EA.

It definitely doesn't make any sense over text, or maybe even out loud for that matter, but the emphasis he put on the certain parts of the word just made it stick.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I don't think this will come across easily over text but I know this by the way my Geography teacher used to tell us (I can't remember the context...perhaps it's a symptom of malaria?)...

D.I. arrho EA.

It definitely doesn't make any sense over text, or maybe even out loud for that matter, but the emphasis he put on the certain parts of the word just made it stick.
    Generally it doesn't.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Generally it doesn't.
    Well I've been able to spell diarrhoea for the last 15 years because of it regardless.
    Mon the Hibs.

Generally it doesn't.

@hibs.net private member
    My peeve is that we haven't had a real peeve for over a week.

It's my favourite thread.

Left by mutual consent!
    First of all I'm sorry if this offends anyone.
    I'm a member of a couple of vegan forums and I'm heart sick of seeing people appeal to God to stop the suffering of animals.
    For me there is no God but if there is he doesn't give a ****!!!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Products with the minimum effort put into them. Was in Craggie’s farm earlier and impulse bought a lightweight tent for my daughter. Was only £10 so wasn’t expecting much. I’ve no problem that it’s no frills and literally a cheap plastic frame and cheap canvass to fit over. Yet they’ve not bothered to put any zips of Velcro on the entrance on either side, nor a little pocket at the bottom corners of the cover to fit it to the bottom of the frame. How difficult would it have been to put those minimal touches on it, would have even said it was decent value for what it is if they then charged £15.

@hibs.net private member
    That's more like it !

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    People with zero awareness of what's going on around them, be it genuine or being ignorant, was shopping this morning and there was a guy at the section I needed, I didn't want to be a dick and hover over him and also wanted to maintain social distancing, now it's pretty apparent what I was doing so when the guy left some woman swooped in out of nowhere and went right where I was waiting to go, I'm 6'1" so it's not like she missed me standing waiting

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    People with zero awareness of what's going on around them, be it genuine or being ignorant, was shopping this morning and there was a guy at the section I needed, I didn't want to be a dick and hover over him and also wanted to maintain social distancing, now it's pretty apparent what I was doing so when the guy left some woman swooped in out of nowhere and went right where I was waiting to go, I'm 6'1" so it's not like she missed me standing waiting

If yer no fast...

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    People that not only don’t wear a mask, but don’t cover their mouth when they cough. Just had a guy cough in my face as I walked out a shop in ocean terminal. Absolutely disgusting at the best of times, but we’re in the middle of a pandemic ffs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Cliff repeatedly telling us which foot a player has kicked the ball with.

Typical hibs.net (Tapatalk screenshot)

Left by mutual consent!
    Typical hibs.net (Tapatalk screenshot)

Its a forum! Opinions eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Its a forum! Opinions eh?
    I know. I just found it funny.

Left by mutual consent!
    Here's another, possibly controversial but cannae help it. Not homophobic by any means but excessive campness (is that a word? You know what I mean) makes my skin crawl.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Here's another, possibly controversial but cannae help it. Not homophobic by any means but excessive campness (is that a word? You know what I mean) makes my skin crawl.
    I wouldn’t word it as strongly as you but that’s a pet peeve of mine when it is deliberately exaggerated. I couldn’t’ watch Graham Norton, for example, for a long time as it looked like he was playing a character and not himself. He’s still camp now, but that’s just his natural mannerisms which is fine.

I’d also point out that being camp isn’t exclusive to being gay, David Walliams being an example. My peeve is more about deliberate exaggerations than it is campness specifically.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I wouldn’t word it as strongly as you but that’s a pet peeve of mine when it is deliberately exaggerated. I couldn’t’ watch Graham Norton, for example, for a long time as it looked like he was playing a character and not himself. He’s still camp now, but that’s just his natural mannerisms which is fine.

I’d also point out that being camp isn’t exclusive to being gay, David Walliams being an example. My peeve is more about deliberate exaggerations than it is campness specifically.
    Yes David Walliams at his most camp is hardest for me to watch. I understand it doesn't always equate to being gay.

I'm not sure I'd say I dislike campness as such. I know a few people who are quite camp but it's fairly subtle. Some are gay, others not so.

What I don't like is people who are deliberately OTT. I accept some people are more extrovert than others but there are people where it swings wildly into attention seeking. Almost everyone I have ever met who is described, or describes themselves, as a 'character' has been an annoying ********.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm not sure I'd say I dislike campness as such. I know a few people who are quite camp but it's fairly subtle. Some are gay, others not so.

What I don't like is people who are deliberately OTT. I accept some people are more extrovert than others but there are people where it swings wildly into attention seeking. Almost everyone I have ever met who is described, or describes themselves, as a 'character' has been an annoying ********.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

You will love me or hate me, in that case I will probably ****ing hate you

Duncan Norvelle the comedian made a career out of being overly camp with his catchphrase "chase me chase me". He said he did it one night at a tough gig to a heckler and the crowd loved it, so he made it his character, he's married with 3 kids. My daughter who is gay says some of her homosexual male friends get overly camp when out together.
    Last edited by J-C; 31-12-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Duncan Norvelle the comedian made a career out of being overly camp with his catchphrase "chase me chase me". He said he dud it one night at a tough gig to a heckler and the crowd loved it, so he made it his character, married with 3 kids. My daughter who is gay says some of her homosexual male friends get overly camp when out together.
    From what I remember, Norvelle was more effeminate than camp and his act/persona was based on him being shy & naive as opposed to being extroverted.

Throughout the years I've known a lot of male dancers (Highland dancers, etc.), many of whom I would call friends.

Once you get to a certain level of skill & thus commitment in dancing, the majority of blokes will be gay (that's my experience anyway) and out of the rest there will be some who surprisingly aren't.

That a bloke is effeminate and/or openly gay makes no difference to me as to whether I'll take to them or not - there are all sorts of reasons why you might become mates with one person but not another, but like others before me, I really can't stand the extroverted "look at me" camp/gay stereotypes. The ones I know can obviously sense this as they thankfully give me a wide berth.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 29-12-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Contestants on tenable that use nominates, then when they get an answer; they say “that was one I was going to say” well why didn’t you say it then? Why did you waste a nominate? Same with people that nominate when they don’t have any answers at all. It’s a complete waste.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Contestants on tenable that use nominates, then when they get an answer; they say “that was one I was going to say” well why didn’t you say it then? Why did you waste a nominate? Same with people that nominate when they don’t have any answers at all. It’s a complete waste.
    I've never actually heard Tenable, I have only watched it on the silent TV in the background at work, I don't really know the rules or concept but it's much harder when you don't know what's going on

When..

"Love I'm going on a zoom call, could you keep the noise down for half an hour please?"

is received as..

"Love I'm going on a zoom call, could you go to the kitchen and clatter about with pots and pans, turn on the radio full blast why not, and if you've got time can you just generally arse about in direct view of the camera? Cheers"

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    I've never actually heard Tenable, I have only watched it on the silent TV in the background at work, I don't really know the rules or concept but it's much harder when you don't know what's going on
    I love it, I only watch on days off, but the schedule is Tenable, Tipping Point and then the Chase.

Another random irritation from watching today’s Tipping Point, but why do members of the clergy, always wear their collar when on a game show? They’re the only occupation that does it. You don’t get Doctors wearing their scrubs or police officers wearing their uniforms, so why do the clergy feel the need to do it?

If someone takes the lower offer on the chase next, I’m going to my bed.