hibs.net Messageboard

Page 273 of 429 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323373 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,190 of 12841

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TSB started that by putting "bank" on their logo/signs.
    "TSB" should be sufficient enough.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Someone who keeps calling for someone who has transposed the last 2 numbers of the phone number and refuses to correct their records. This has been going on for 2 years now.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Trying to communicate with face masks on. I know it’s necessary, but it’s a pain in the arse when you can’t see people’s lips moving. My job involves going to loads of different addresses each day and it’s really hard to get across why you’re there. I’ve had people tell me their not interested despite the fact that I’m not selling anything. It’s particularly difficult with older people who’s hearing isn’t the best.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Trying to communicate with face masks on. I know it’s necessary, but it’s a pain in the arse when you can’t see people’s lips moving. My job involves going to loads of different addresses each day and it’s really hard to get across why you’re there. I’ve had people tell me their not interested despite the fact that I’m not selling anything. It’s particularly difficult with older people who’s hearing isn’t the best.
    Also a nightmare in the taxi, the intercoms are generally crap in taxis, adding the masks muffle the voice and it takes 3-4 goes to finally find out where the punter wants to go to. Took an old dear to Ferniehill today, firstly I thought she said Pirniefield, then Firhill before I realised she wanted Ferniehill. Doesn't help when some folk talk quietly as well.
    Last edited by J-C; 13-11-2020 at 10:01 PM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Autotrader/eBay motorbike adds that when you click on the description and it says, contact dealer for more info. I want the ****ing info so that I can make a decision on whether I want to speak to the dealer. I go onto these sites so that I don't have to talk to multiple dealers.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Are you sure this is DIY you’re talking about?

Folk missing decent (but not quite good) jokes on threads, is another peeve.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    When you are doing something, DIY, moving furniture, fixing something, and your partner is giving a running commentary right behind you,

"No not like that"
    "Why are you doing it that way?"
    "NO, I said I DID NOT want it that way"

It's enough to think about time in Saughton.
    Definitely this one - I get "you do it, you're better at...(insert whatever task she can't be arsed doing here)"

Followed by "I would have done it that way instead" or "why are you doing it like that?" "I usually do... "

FML.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Definitely this one - I get "you do it, you're better at...(insert whatever task she can't be arsed doing here)"

Followed by "I would have done it that way instead" or "why are you doing it like that?" "I usually do... "
    FML.
    Yup.
    I just got new washing machine delivered this morning.
    I asked the wife to pass the big scissors so I could cut off the packing straps.
    She hands me the scissors and stands there watching me.
    I'm just about to cut the strap and I hear what i knew was coming.
    "I wouldnt cut it there"
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

FML.
    "Why don't you...." is my wife's favourite. Usually after I've started doing the task the way she suggested in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    "Why don't you...." is my wife's favourite. Usually after I've started doing the task the way she suggested in the first place.
    "Why don't you..." is usually the start of my response in such circumstances!

Left by mutual consent!
    The Romany women beggars! This morning I've seen three coming out a tenement in Glasgow laughing and joking with their blankets and ****ing coffee cups. Another two were dropped off by a **** in a Mercedes. Some have said in the past that they're basically slaves and have no choice. I don't believe that but if it's true why don't the police round them up and jail the men behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    The Romany women beggars! This morning I've seen three coming out a tenement in Glasgow laughing and joking with their blankets and ****ing coffee cups. Another two were dropped off by a **** in a Mercedes. Some have said in the past that they're basically slaves and have no choice. I don't believe that but if it's true why don't the police round them up and jail the men behind it.
    Re: the last part - good luck getting witnesses to testify.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    "Why don't you..." is usually the start of my response in such circumstances!

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post

Invaded Edinburgh too, literally professional begging. One guy sitting outside Pret on Castle St asked me for a coffee the other day, quickly told him to go **** himself, cheeky get.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Invaded Edinburgh too, literally professional begging. One guy sitting outside Pret on Castle St asked me for a coffee the other day, quickly told him to go **** himself, cheeky get.
    Seems excessive, no?

I can understand the frustrations behind organised begging - I'm just going to assume at this point that it is the case, it's not something I know myself beyond posts/tweets similar to the above in nature - but there is also a genuine homelessness problem throughout the country. I feel it's all too easy to conflate the two and let that get in the way of wanting the problem solved and helping where you can towards that.

At the end of the day these people, wether properly homeless or not, are sitting out in the cold and wet all day for what can't be a great amount of money. It doesn't sound like a great way of living and clearly their circumstances dictate that they need to do it for whatever reason. If you don't want to give money or goods to them is it not easier just to say "sorry", "not today", or even ignore them rather than tell them to go **** themselves? :dunno;
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Seems excessive, no?

I can understand the frustrations behind organised begging - I'm just going to assume at this point that it is the case, it's not something I know myself beyond posts/tweets similar to the above in nature - but there is also a genuine homelessness problem throughout the country. I feel it's all too easy to conflate the two and let that get in the way of wanting the problem solved and helping where you can towards that.

At the end of the day these people, wether properly homeless or not, are sitting out in the cold and wet all day for what can't be a great amount of money. It doesn't sound like a great way of living and clearly their circumstances dictate that they need to do it for whatever reason. If you don't want to give money or goods to them is it not easier just to say "sorry", "not today", or even ignore them rather than tell them to go **** themselves? :dunno;

Absolutley brutal way to speak to someone who's circumstances are unknown.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post

Agreed with both of you. He asked for a coffee, not cash, not drugs. He wants a hot drink.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Agreed with both of you. He asked for a coffee, not cash, not drugs. He wants a hot drink.
    I often buy a sandwich; feel it's more appropriate than cash. (but no from Pret!!)

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Seems excessive, no?

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post

They arrive in big vans/cars every day, usually 6/7 maybe more, they then go to their spots outside coffee shops, cash machines etc , all their clothes are clean as are they and they swap over with each other every hour or so, it professional begging. I work in town 6 days a week and see it every day, their boss sits in Greggs( or he did pre Covid ) until they are finished, he then picks them all up takes them to wherever they stay. It's actually not against the law to beg on the streets of Scotland but it is illegal to harass people as they go about their business, these beggars harass you whenever you pass them by. There is only so many times in a day that the same guy can ask for money/coffee etc until you get a bit peeved off at them, yes I was rather blunt and swore at him, only human.

There are a few guys I know who are genuinely homeless and having spoken to them know about their circumstances, I will give these guys a coffee, food etc but never money as I know it'll be used for drugs or drink.

They arrive in big vans/cars every day, usually 6/7 maybe more, they then go to their spots outside coffee shops, cash machines etc , all their clothes are clean as are they and they swap over with each other every hour or so, it professional begging. I work in town 6 days a week and see it every day, their boss sits in Greggs( or he did pre Covid ) until they are finished, he then picks them all up takes them to wherever they stay. It's actually not against the law to beg on the streets of Scotland but it is illegal to harass people as they go about their business, these beggars harass you whenever you pass them by. There is only so many times in a day that the same guy can ask for money/coffee etc until you get a bit peeved off at them, yes I was rather blunt and swore at him, only human.

There are a few guys I know who are genuinely homeless and having spoken to them know about their circumstances, I will give these guys a coffee, food etc but never money as I know it'll be used for drugs or drink.
    That's your experience but you have to acknowledge that not all are in the same situation. Certainly not in small cities like Perth. We don't have the population to support the 'gang master' culture you think is happening everywhere.

Edit. Saw your last paragraph after I posted.

FWIW when I was working I saved up the points on my Costa card and gave it to a big issue seller in Perth the week before Christmas and he liked the idea of a Christmas gift.
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 15-11-2020 at 02:56 PM.

That's your experience but you have to acknowledge that not all are in the same situation. Certainly not in small cities like Perth. We don't have the population to support the 'gang master' culture you think is happening everywhere.

Edit. Saw your last paragraph after I posted.

FWIW when I was working I saved up the points on my Costa card and gave it to a big issue seller in Perth the week before Christmas and he liked the idea of a Christmas gift.

As I said I have no problem with the real homeless guys on the streets, feel very sorry for them but these Romanian/Bulgarians are organised professional beggars and deserve nowt.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    As I said I have no problem with the real homeless guys on the streets, feel very sorry for them but these Romanian/Bulgarians are organised professional beggars and deserve nowt.
    There's a group of them stay in a couple of flats just off Gorgie Rd, Wardlaw I think it is, the rest are in the homeless shelter at Chesser (the old church)

Edit: I see them getting picked up/dropped off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm with you. They do my ****ing head in! and it's ***** like these who drain all the good will from many people and genuinely homeless people lose out.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    This is the 3rd match running I've been within 10 of the winning number. Today being the worst yet (I had 224 & 225).

That's not very annoying.

People pronouncing "lives" as "lifes".

On the final round of Family Fortunes when a contestant's answer scores more than 50 points and they still try to build suspense as to whether or not it is the top answer.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    People who leave everything until the last minute and then complain when they fail because “someone else let them down”

Food thieves in workplaces. I always have some butter in the fridge and some diluting juice on my desk. Both are treated as communal items by one person, it's brazen and not even remotely sly. I'm not greedy, I'll happily share but it's common courtesy to ask. The manky cow always leaves toast crumbs in the butter as well which should be a capital offence.

It may just be coincidence but the same person is also a complete liberty taker when it comes to passing on workload. I was making an early start on my sales figures for the month last week (depressing enough at the moment) and she asked if I would help with some procurement invoices. Not really my job but I know how to do it and so was quitehappy to help. These are supposed to be completed weekly and suddenly I'm presented with a pile of paper dating back 2 and 3 weeks. Almost every one had a query on it as well so she is obviously burying the problem ones at the bottom of the pile then passing it on when she is 'snowed under'. I honestly have no idea what she does for 40+ hours a week apart from stuff her face with my food.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Food thieves in workplaces. I always have some butter in the fridge and some diluting juice on my desk. Both are treated as communal items by one person, it's brazen and not even remotely sly. I'm not greedy, I'll happily share but it's common courtesy to ask. The manky cow always leaves toast crumbs in the butter as well which should be a capital offence.

It may just be coincidence but the same person is also a complete liberty taker when it comes to passing on workload. I was making an early start on my sales figures for the month last week (depressing enough at the moment) and she asked if I would help with some procurement invoices. Not really my job but I know how to do it and so was quitehappy to help. These are supposed to be completed weekly and suddenly I'm presented with a pile of paper dating back 2 and 3 weeks. Almost every one had a query on it as well so she is obviously burying the problem ones at the bottom of the pile then passing it on when she is 'snowed under'. I honestly have no idea what she does for 40+ hours a week apart from stuff her face with my food.
    You always get at least one person like that in the office, in mine it's someone who does a bit of work then goes and gives my boss a running commentary of what she has just done, there always seems to be an issue involved even with something very straightforward

She's also not my biggest fan either as I've told her on numerous occasions she could do 3 times the amount of work in a day of she just got on with it

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Ah used to be a running theme in our building....sandwich thieves! Tried putting a skull and crossbones and "danger - highly toxic" post-it on my sannies but no use. Slapping on a fair dose of extra hot chilli sauce eventually did the trick! Still never found out who the culprit was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Ah used to be a running theme in our building....sandwich thieves! Tried putting a skull and crossbones and "danger - highly toxic" post-it on my sannies but no use. Slapping on a fair dose of extra hot chilli sauce eventually did the trick! Still never found out who the culprit was.
    Then there is the milk thief. Sorted by keeping your milk in an expresser bottle 😉