hibs.net Messageboard

Page 271 of 429 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273281321371 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,130 of 12853

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really hope that included the phrase "let's get your pumpkin on".
    No, but the word witch was muttered several times.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Probably already mentioned but folk that make a comment about the bigger Hampden pitch. It’s the exact same dimensions as Easter Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Waking up in the middle of a great dream and not being able to get back into it.

Ah yes. The Brigadoon Syndrome. Sometimes you can sort of get back but the people are looking at you saying: "Sorry, mate, everything's changed now."

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    everything's changed now."
    Except the sheets! 😯

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Folk who either don’t know how to dress well or put no effort into it, and trainers with a suit. Tim Cahill on Super Sunday fits into the categories above.

Yours, Dapper Dan

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Folk who either don’t know how to dress well or put no effort into it, and trainers with a suit. Tim Cahill on Super Sunday fits into the categories above.

Yours, Dapper Dan
    Amen.

I don't mind so much in an informal setting, people can dress how they like. However I despise sloppy dressing in a formal setting. Bottom button of a waistcoat undone and don't fasten your jacket when wearing one, shoes and belt matching, pocket square shouldn't be the same pattern or block colour as a tie, black or dark grey socks only etc. are just basics. Worse than that are people with shirts untucked, top buttons undone or badly tied ties at a funeral or the like. That's just a lack of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Amen.

I don't mind so much in an informal setting, people can dress how they like. However I despise sloppy dressing in a formal setting. Bottom button of a waistcoat undone and don't fasten your jacket when wearing one, shoes and belt matching, pocket square shouldn't be the same pattern or block colour as a tie, black or dark grey socks only etc. are just basics. Worse than that are people with shirts untucked, top buttons undone or badly tied ties at a funeral or the like. That's just a lack of respect.
    Ironically, my peeve would be this peeve. It reminds me of folk who think they're better than others or, perhaps more accurately, wished they were "better" than others. Like the type of folk who watch posh on TV and try to act it. Grinds my gears to see them look down on others.

Ironically, my peeve would be this peeve. It reminds me of folk who think they're better than others or, perhaps more accurately, wished they were "better" than others. Like the type of folk who watch posh on TV and try to act it. Grinds my gears to see them look down on others.
    It's not a case of thinking your better than others. Dressing well used to be something that transcended classes, Sunday best and so on.

I don't think it's 'acting posh' to expect people to make a bit effort for an occasion where it is merited. As I said I don't have any problem with people dressing how they choose but there are certain circumstances in which a bit respect is called for and failing to make the effort lacks it. It's not about wearing the best brands, it's about being tidy and presentable when it's required.

Hear hear, humans begin under the layer of clothing.

It's not a case of thinking your better than others. Dressing well used to be something that transcended classes, Sunday best and so on.

I don't think it's 'acting posh' to expect people to make a bit effort for an occasion where it is merited. As I said I don't have any problem with people dressing how they choose but there are certain circumstances in which a bit respect is called for and failing to make the effort lacks it. It's not about wearing the best brands, it's about being tidy and presentable when it's required.
    "pocket square shouldn't be the same pattern or block colour as a tie".

Come on PB!

"pocket square shouldn't be the same pattern or block colour as a tie".

Come on PB!
    Well it's true!

I wouldn't judge someone or refuse their friendship because of it. It would bloody well annoy me though😂
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Well it's true!

I wouldn't judge someone or refuse their friendship because of it. It would bloody well annoy me though😂
    I've never heard that before, but then I've never worn a pocket square!

I'm maybe being unduly harsh based on my own experience, but the critique of the finer points of others' dress has always come across to me as negatively aspirational.

I'm maybe being unduly harsh based on my own experience, but the critique of the finer points of others' dress has always come across to me as negatively aspirational.
    I never really think of it as being a class or an aspirarional thing. I think knowing how to wear a suit, as an example, is one of those 'skills' that used to be passed down irrespective of backgroind that we have lost. Growing up in an area that was anything but posh I can remember the old boys always wearing ties and making a real effort, particularly on a Sunday. That doesn't seem to happen now; I spent today in pair of paint splattered trackies and a stained fleece. If you take someone like Boris Johnson, privately educated and from a privileged background, he makes no effort at all in how he dresses or presents himself and I'd argue that reflects the total lack of respect he shows for the position he holds.

I just believe if you are invited to an event that requires a bit of respect or solemnity then it's only right to make the effort. If I'm wearing a suit or a kilt of whatever then it's worth spending a wee bit longer to get it right imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Someone said to me at work on Friday night, happy halloween eve. I was wtf? When did that start being a thing. Bollocks.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Someone said to me at work on Friday night, happy halloween eve. I was wtf? When did that start being a thing. Bollocks.
    I’ve seen girls on Instagram post on the first of the month that it’s their “birthday month”. A whole month? No. You get a day...a birth-day!

Poppy virtuosity signaling. The simple poppy is in it's subtle inconspicuous presence a powerful symbol. I despair at the modern phenomenon to produce the biggest and brightest all singing and dancing displays where the creators are so obviously trying to outdo each other in a grotesque grand prix of virtuosity signaling that's all about drawing attention to themselves and has zero to do with showing dignified respect to those who the simple poppy honours. Wear your poppy with dignified pride.

Poppy virtuosity signaling. The simple poppy is in it's subtle inconspicuous presence a powerful symbol. I despair at the modern phenomenon to produce the biggest and brightest all singing and dancing displays where the creators are so obviously trying to outdo each other in a grotesque grand prix of virtuosity signaling that's all about drawing attention to themselves and has zero to do with showing dignified respect to those who the simple poppy honours. Wear your poppy with dignified pride.
    I've never heard the phrase "virtuosity signalling" but it's a perfect play on "virtue signalling" in this context. I'm going to use that!

Two main ones for me:

-Backseat drivers telling others how to drive when they don't even have a license themselves.
    -People telling others how they should be parenting when they don't even have kids themselves.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    There was a guy on tv recently with an enormous poppy, it looked like a rosette that politicians wear on election night. It was the exact opposite of what the poppy is meant to signify.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Me neither and I'm a good few years older than you! Haven't felt the need to wear a waistcoat either, don't see the point of them.

I think PB is being a wee bit OTT but I totally get his point. Just make the effort.

Wet socks after stepping in water on the floor in the house.

@hibs.net private member
    Drinks offers that don't apply in Scotland eg 25% off six bottles of wine.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    virtuosity signaling
    Great concept but **** your American spelling.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Drinks offers that don't apply in Scotland eg 25% off six bottles of wine.
    I've actually noticed that Morrisons honour drink promotions at the till, even though they're not on the shelf edge ticket.
    A few weeks past I was shopping in Morrisons @ Gyle, picked up some bottles of beer and they were discounted at the till. I can't remember if it was 4 for £5 or something similar, but it was definitely a promotion they were running south of the Border.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I've actually noticed that Morrisons honour drink promotions at the till, even though they're not on the shelf edge ticket.
    A few weeks past I was shopping in Morrisons @ Gyle, picked up some bottles of beer and they were discounted at the till. I can't remember if it was 4 for £5 or something similar, but it was definitely a promotion they were running south of the Border.

That is very true but not for wine. They don't have bulk buy wine offers but they are fair on lager etc deals.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I’ve seen girls on Instagram post on the first of the month that it’s their “birthday month”. A whole month? No. You get a day...a birth-day!

**** instagram and the like, don't have that or snapchat or facebook or twitter. Mostly attention seeking birds with too much time on their hands posting about pish like their dinner or fake eyelashes or something. **** off ya twats.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

"This doesn't work."

"What do you mean?"

"It doesn't work."

"In what way?"

"I can't get it to work."

"Have you read the manual?"

"No."

"Where is the manual?"

"I threw it out".

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    The prevalence of the English style poppy in Scotland this year, particularly in the form of pin badges. I was in M&S at the Gyle at the weekend and it was English style pin badges they were selling.

The poppy stand at Tesco in Corstorphine had both Scottish and English poppies which I thought was weird as presumably it is run by Poppy Scotland.

The pundits on Sky for the Rangers game at the weekend were also wearing English style poppies.

I notice the Scotsman and Evening News websites are also displaying the English style poppy.

People walking about or driving with a face mask dangling off one ear like some creepy earring, just take it off ffs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    The prevalence of the English style poppy in Scotland this year, particularly in the form of pin badges. I was in M&S at the Gyle at the weekend and it was English style pin badges they were selling.

The poppy stand at Tesco in Corstorphine had both Scottish and English poppies which I thought was weird as presumably it is run by Poppy Scotland.

The pundits on Sky for the Rangers game at the weekend were also wearing English style poppies.

I notice the Scotsman and Evening News websites are also displaying the English style poppy.

Seriously ??