hibs.net Messageboard

Page 260 of 428 FirstFirst ... 160210250258259260261262270310360 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,800 of 12832

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Try living with Urquhart as your surname. I'm still learning new ways of how not to pronounce it.
    Aye that must be a nightmare. I get a few creative interpretations of the spelling and pronunciation of my own surname but Urquhart must be another level.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who misspell my name. Not if it's just an error which happens but in emails or after I have spelled it out for them.

My name is Stuart, my email address at work and personal contains that name so starting a conversation with 'Hi Stewart' or worse 'Hi Steuart' is just rude really. Do people think I deliberately spell my own name incorrectly in my email address?

Feel your pain mate, my first name is misspelled constantly, and again usually in emails with my email signature and my email address having the correct spelling

My surname is regularly misspelled as well

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Feel your pain mate, my first name is misspelled constantly, and again usually in emails with my email signature and my email address having the correct spelling

My surname is regularly misspelled as well
    My surname has been misspelled and pronounced incorrectly all my life. The best is when some folk think the first half is my christian name and the latter part my surname???

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I often get called David rather than Daniel.

It happened a few times and I put it down to my hand writing, but it sometimes happens over emails too.

To be fair, the words have quite a similar look throughout them, Da at the start, an i, and then the "el" almost squeezes together to be a d.
    Mon the Hibs.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Aye that must be a nightmare. I get a few creative interpretations of the spelling and pronunciation of my own surname but Urquhart must be another level.
    I still get Mattie from people who have known me for years. My surname gets a load of variations as well.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Imagine being Raphael Scheidt!! A guy my ex wife used to work with was called Forbes Allan, she said at least once a day you would hear him in the phone saying "no, no it's not Allan Forbes" Must have messed with his head something awful

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    McDonaugh - it was bad enough in Edinburgh but it's a total nightmare here.

If I spell it for someone they always say "oh - it's not M A C ?" - no, it's M C and yes I'm sure.

Then they insist on putting a space between Mc & D, which means I'm in with the Ds and not the Ms when they try to find me again.

And don't get me started on the "augh" bit.

I don't use my surname in my work email address - far too much trouble.

Anyway, I used to work with an architect called Peter Caunt. His wife's name was Sally. She stuck with her maiden name.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    How’s this for a peeve? It’s not rude, and has zero consequence.

People spelling my second name with 2 T’s.

It makes absolutely no difference to my life other than irritating me.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    How’s this for a peeve? It’s not rude, and has zero consequence.

People spelling my second name with 2 T’s.

It makes absolutely no difference to my life other than irritating me.
    Jonestt?!?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Jonestt?!?
    Or Jonesttwentyeightt?
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    “Jones28” was actually lifted from the banner at the top of the website when it had the scorers from the league cup final flash up! My second name is Paterson but it gets continually spelled with 2 T’s. I even tell people when I’m booking a table over the phone it’s paterson with 2 T’s.

Really really petty. If I was on the receiving end of the call I’d write down 3 t’s.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    My surname has been misspelled and pronounced incorrectly all my life. The best is when some folk think the first half is my christian name and the latter part my surname???
    Ok well since you mentioned it, a minor peeve of mine is people with surnames as first names, and first names as surnames. How confusing is that?

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Ok well since you mentioned it, a minor peeve of mine is people with surnames as first names, and first names as surnames. How confusing is that?
    It's tantamount to child abuse, knowing that the named is going to spend a lifetime clarifying.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    It's tantamount to child abuse, knowing that the named is going to spend a lifetime clarifying.
    It's made worse by email systems that record the person's name as "surname, first name". This never used to be a problem.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Anyway, I used to work with an architect called Peter Caunt. His wife's name was Sally. She stuck with her maiden name.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    McDonaugh - it was bad enough in Edinburgh but it's a total nightmare here.

If I spell it for someone they always say "oh - it's not M A C ?" - no, it's M C and yes I'm sure.

Then they insist on putting a space between Mc & D, which means I'm in with the Ds and not the Ms when they try to find me again.

And don't get me started on the "augh" bit.

I don't use my surname in my work email address - far too much trouble.

He considered taking her name, but thought Peter Minge sounded ridiculous.

My Surname only has four letters and I have heard so many pronunciations of it over the years.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    My surname has been misspelt all my life and frequently mispronounced, especially in Europe but also in the UK

To the extent that when booking anything for holidays - restaurants, concerts etc, we use my partner’s name. Hers gets misspelt too, as it is one of those surnames that have a few variants in spelling, but generally people can work out an approximation of the pronunciation.

Mine just causes chaos, with the maitre’d claiming there is no booking in that name, until you pull out your phone and show the email confirmation
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    It did have its advantages in the army. When there was dirty jobs being doled out in the mornings the Sergeant would start picking people to do those jobs and it normally went something like this:

"Urk....., erm ooork, eh oorquoo.... urcher...... ****-it, Smith you do it.

He'll not like it as he is a member here.

My brother has the moniker Richie Aitken 😁

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    The expression "no smoke without fire".

My response to that is "you obviously have never been to a ...... (insert appropriate name of a heavy metal or prog band)...... gig."

And, while I'm here......

I thought I would escape it this year, but, no...... Ed Byrne (who should know better) was on TV the other night talking about the "Edinburgh Fringe Festival."

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Totally agree with the name one. My name is Fraser. Replacing the ‘s’ with a ‘z’ is common. I think I’ve had an ‘i’ added everywhere between the ‘F’ and the second ‘r’. I worked in a cinema when I was a student and there was a supervisor who really into stupid management phrases, his favourite being “there’s no ‘I’ in team”. One day I was covering a shift so he had to manually write my name and break time on the daily ops sheet. He added an ‘i’ to my name to which I told him “there’s no ‘I’ in Fraser”. He didn’t understand why colleagues were finding that so funny.

My current boss insists on pronouncing my name as Frasier. It irks me but I generally let it go but it really riles a former boss of mine who works with us. She is constantly correcting him.

Also name related, my work has our names set on our email to be Surname, First Name rather than First Name, Surname. The amount of times I’ve had “Hi <insert my surname>” on an email is unreal even though my surname is not a popular first name in this country.

My first name is Iain. As mentioned earlier, it’s annoying when people don’t bother to read the email address or signature, and just type Ian. And what makes it worse is that some of the people Have known me for years! and you sometimes get the Eoin spelling fling out there now and again.

pronunciation can be an issue, especially abroad, that’s just a write off. But even here, it’s bad.

what’s the name?
    iain
    neil?
    no, iain
    dean?
    no, iain
    cian?
    ffs, yeah fine

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    What about the Iain's who are John's and the Johns who are Iain's??

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    My Grandad's work changed his name to John when he started as there was already another Ian who worked there.

I used to ask to speak to Ian whenever I phoned his work only to be told there was no Ian that worked there.

Used to drive me insane, he wasn't remotely bothered

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Totally agree with the name one. My name is Fraser. Replacing the ‘s’ with a ‘z’ is common. I think I’ve had an ‘i’ added everywhere between the ‘F’ and the second ‘r’. I worked in a cinema when I was a student and there was a supervisor who really into stupid management phrases, his favourite being “there’s no ‘I’ in team”. One day I was covering a shift so he had to manually write my name and break time on the daily ops sheet. He added an ‘i’ to my name to which I told him “there’s no ‘I’ in Fraser”. He didn’t understand why colleagues were finding that so funny.

My current boss insists on pronouncing my name as Frasier.
    That must all be very stressful. You must feel like going to relax in a bar where everybody knows your name.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    My Grandad's work changed his name to John when he started as there was already another Ian who worked there.

I used to ask to speak to Ian whenever I phoned his work only to be told there was no Ian that worked there.

Used to drive me insane, he wasn't remotely bothered
    Same happened with my Uncle Ian, who lives in S****horpe - he gets called John down there. Really confused my son when we set up a WhatsApp group for the cup final re-run last month 😂.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    And the Johns that are Jacks.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post

My current boss insists on pronouncing my name as Frasier. It irks me but I generally let it go but it really riles a former boss of mine who works with us. She is constantly correcting him.

Also name related, my work has our names set on our email to be Surname, First Name rather than First Name, Surname. The amount of times I’ve had “Hi <insert my surname>” on an email is unreal even though my surname is not a popular first name in this country.
    Americans who pronounce Fraser as Frasier and Craig as Cregg, even when they're ok with the spelling.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    People who pronounce "statistics" as "stastistics".

And far worse, "pacific" instead of "specific".