hibs.net Messageboard

Page 248 of 428 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250258298348 ... LastLast
Results 7,411 to 7,440 of 12811

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Words you can’t spell. “Bureau”, is one if mine. I tie myself in knots second and third guessing myself whenever I now try to type it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Probably already been mentioned, but insurance/breakdown renewal quotes should be investigated, how many people just agree with their figures and renew? Got my renewal from Green Flag for my breakdown cover, their quote was £119 for the year. Did a comparison quote and was able to get the exact same cover for as cheap as £28, ended up going for one that was £35, purely because it was a company I had heard of before.

It should be illegal what these companies are doing.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Words you can’t spell. “Bureau”, is one if mine. I tie myself in knots second and third guessing myself whenever I now try to type it.
    Easy in German. Buro.

People wearing disposable vinyl gloves in supermarkets and so on. The clue is in the name - disposable. In a medical setting a nurse or doctor uses gloves to attend to a patient, removes them when the task is complete, washes their hands then regloves to deal with the next patient.

The other day I watched a couple get out their car in blue gloves, repeatedly touch their phones whilst waiting outside the supermarket to get in, handle various goods whilst inside, use the self checkout and then get back in their car still wearing the gloves. What purpose did the gloves serve? In what way was that better than not wearing gloves and washing your hands as soon as you get home? If anything it probably encourages a false sense of security.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People wearing disposable vinyl gloves in supermarkets and so on. The clue is in the name - disposable. In a medical setting a nurse or doctor uses gloves to attend to a patient, removes them when the task is complete, washes their hands then regloves to deal with the next patient.

The other day I watched a couple get out their car in blue gloves, repeatedly touch their phones whilst waiting outside the supermarket to get in, handle various goods whilst inside, use the self checkout and then get back in their car still wearing the gloves. What purpose did the gloves serve? In what way was that better than not wearing gloves and washing your hands as soon as you get home? If anything it probably encourages a false sense of security.
    Yes I have questioned many people on the same type of thing in food establishments. People wear them and think they are doing the right thing without thinking it through. Hardly anyone uses them correctly, wash yor hands, you don’t need gloves.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Agree but there are circumstances where wearing one glove can make sense. Effectively operating a 'dirty' hand/clean hand system. Nip in to supermarket for a pint of milk, lift it with gloved hand, press touchscreen buttons with gloved hand, take credit card out of pocket with ungloved hand and pay contactless, open car door with ungloved hand, place milk in cardboard box in car, dispose of glove, drive to the Peak District with clean hands for some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    **** stories on the news, that are in no way "news" or important to the public interest.

Basically utter nonsense filler.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Don't get me started on the "inspiring" famous women "being brave" during quarantine by posing without make-up on social media, the hard hitting reporting that we all need to get through this..

@hibs.net private member
    Been out walking round and about Redford and Colinton Road for my hours walk most nights. Amazed at how many drivers are tearing about driving well above the speed limit because the roads are so quiet. Seen a couple in particular on Redford Road going onto Dreghorn Link, obviously going for a 'spin' on the Bypass. Mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    BBC Breakfast is horrendous. This morning after the latest coronavirus update it was "Now let's see what Justin Beiber is up to, hee hee hee". Then these idiots expect to be taken seriously when interviewing politicians and science/medical experts. Naga Munchetty....don't get me started
    Naga is ripping Matt Hancock a new one live. Yes she can be annoying but she knows how to interview a flawed politician. Better of with Tony Hancock

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Naga is ripping Matt Hancock a new one live. Yes she can be annoying but she knows how to interview a flawed politician. Better of with Tony Hancock
    I somehow managed to sit through half of that. I know he's a useless Tory prick etc but I still have to switch off every time I hear her patronising tone.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Been out walking round and about Redford and Colinton Road for my hours walk most nights. Amazed at how many drivers are tearing about driving well above the speed limit because the roads are so quiet. Seen a couple in particular on Redford Road going onto Dreghorn Link, obviously going for a 'spin' on the Bypass. Mental.

As someone who lives close to the bypass these petrol heads are fair cashing in on the quiet traffic.

Typically, they involve small neat little motors with extended exhaust kit making the most noise possible.

They are generally not bad drivers and can handle their aircraft well. Just selfish children.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I forgot how to spell "who" last week when trying to write a note. Thought that was the decline starting early :
    I also cant say "regularly" without making an erse of myself. I just change it to "on a regular basis".
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    All the adults on my time line who have signed up for tik tok and think they are being wacky and fun, unfriend

I struggle with typing certain words with repetitive vowels- my brain just can't handle it. In 2014 I probably typed "independence referendum" about 5-10 times a day and never nailed it first time or without having to stop and think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    BBC Breakfast is horrendous. This morning after the latest coronavirus update it was "Now let's see what Justin Beiber is up to, hee hee hee". Then these idiots expect to be taken seriously when interviewing politicians and science/medical experts. Naga Munchetty....don't get me started
    I've been listening to the radio more. Less childish banter. The BBC World Service is good. It reminds you it's a global problem. Not so much happy clapping either.

Some folk need that, mind. Each to their own.

I have that on the odd ocassion. Or is it occasion?

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    All the adults on my time line who have signed up for tik tok and think they are being wacky and fun, unfriend

"So....my dad discovered Tik Tok....and THIS happened...."

Get directly tae **** with that *****.

People that read a couple of articles about the coronavirus and then act on social media as if they are qualified to be on the board of the WHO.

Spending a week trimming a 25m long hedge (Leyland Cypress) from 5m down to 2.5m using a hedge trimmer and hand saw, then tidying up your shed afterwards and finding a chainsaw you'd completely forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    People that read a couple of articles about the coronavirus and then act on social media as if they are qualified to be on the board of the WHO.
    😁👍

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Spending a week trimming a 25m long hedge (Leyland Cypress) from 5m down to 2.5m using a hedge trimmer and hand saw, then tidying up your shed afterwards and finding a chainsaw you'd completely forgotten about.
    Filled some time though 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Filled some time though 😀
    Aye, there is that.

@hibs.net private member
    When cameras cut to the audience when showing comedy acts on stage. Why do we need to see them laughing? Just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    When cameras cut to the audience when showing comedy acts on stage. Why do we need to see them laughing? Just don't get it.
    I'd guess that part of the experience that makes live acts desirable is that it's a shared experience. Same probably applies for canned laughter used in sitcoms.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd guess that part of the experience that makes live acts desirable is that it's a shared experience. Same probably applies for canned laughter used in sitcoms.
    Possibly but I personally just find it a bit cringey. 😁

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    🤣
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Agreed,Roger Daltrey would never stand for it.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Could have done with one of those fighting the thorns over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

LinkedIn, specifically the dullards who follow and continually quote that <swear word> richard branson. As if they're being insightful and at cutting edge of business by quoting a man who would happily extract their internal organs and sell them if he could.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    LinkedIn, specifically the dullards who follow and continually quote that <swear word> richard branson. As if they're being insightful and at cutting edge of business by quoting a man who would happily extract their internal organs and sell them if he could.
    Two LinkedIn quotes that get right on my tits currently,

"Create your personal brand"

"Post insightful original content"

And the latest fad,

"So far during lockdown I've learned Japanese, gained 200 new clients, lost 10 stone in weight, gained a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and taught myself how to play the piano and harp, what skills are you coming out of lockdown with?!"

I have to keep myself off it now, people talk about how toxic Instagram etc can be but for me it's LinkedIn, without exaggeration it just makes me hate everyone and anyone that works in an office.