hibs.net Messageboard

Page 222 of 428 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272322 ... LastLast
Results 6,631 to 6,660 of 12832

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The use of “much”, e.g. “angry much?”

When did that start? Is it an Americanism?
    Or "thank you so MUCH" for handing over cash for some everyday item, coffee, beer etc.
    Every language change is down to American influence and MUCH else besides.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Everything about the BBC iPlayer and online media content. It's infuriating that an organisation with the income they get can't make these things work. Tried to watch Line of Duty on the iPlayer through my TV last night and after four or five failed loads the "this content doesn't appear to be working" message flashed up. So it loaded, played the first few minutes and changed its mind. Did the same with the highlights from the derby just now.

This is after the iPlayer on the TV was out of action for months because of another un-diagnosed issue with hundreds of TV models.

If its true that the BBC want to release all the programmes they've done on the iPlayer and withdraw them from the likes of Netflix then they are really going to have to up their game.

@hibs.net private member
    Buses without charging points. Ive got so used to charging my phone on a fairly long journey. Todays bus is useless!

I do appreciate this is a total princess problem
    Last edited by Jay; 30-04-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Everything about the BBC iPlayer and online media content. It's infuriating that an organisation with the income they get can't make these things work. Tried to watch Line of Duty on the iPlayer through my TV last night and after four or five failed loads the "this content doesn't appear to be working" message flashed up. So it loaded, played the first few minutes and changed its mind. Did the same with the highlights from the derby just now.

This is after the iPlayer on the TV was out of action for months because of another un-diagnosed issue with hundreds of TV models.

If its true that the BBC want to release all the programmes they've done on the iPlayer and withdraw them from the likes of Netflix then they are really going to have to up their game.
    I find the service excellent. No problems streaming and the choice is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I find the service excellent. No problems streaming and the choice is fantastic.
    No arguments with the actual content - just out of interest what broadband speed are you working with?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    People who exit or enter somewhere then immediately stop blocking people behind them, e.g. folk that get off the bus then just stop, folk that leave a building then just stop, and worst of all, people who stop at the end of escalators. Pond life the lot of them.

No arguments with the actual content - just out of interest what broadband speed are you working with?
    I'm using German Telekom Magenta M which has download speeds of up to 50 MB. This might be slowed down because I've got a separate router attached which allows me to create a VPN tunnel into the UK network. Sometimes at home we've got up to 3 devices steaming simultaneously but rarely have problems. The only problems I've had in the past really, have been with Hibs T.V.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I'm using German Telekom Magenta M which has download speeds of up to 50 MB. This might be slowed down because I've got a separate router attached which allows me to create a VPN tunnel into the UK network. Sometimes at home we've got up to 3 devices steaming simultaneously but rarely have problems. The only problems I've had in the past really, have been with Hibs T.V.
    Right, so my problems could be broadband related. But the odd thing is that Netflix and other on-demand player work perfectly despite streaming through the TV in the same way the iPlayer does.

Right, so my problems could be broadband related. But the odd thing is that Netflix and other on-demand player work perfectly despite streaming through the TV in the same way the iPlayer does.
    As I understand it, the functionality of iPlayer is so notoriously difficult to upgrade (due to the BBC's public duties and related compatibility issues) that it has fallen far behind rival streaming services. I think BBC and ITV plan to launch a joint streaming venture which isn't bound by the same constraints as iPlayer to compete with Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    As I understand it, the functionality of iPlayer is so notoriously difficult to upgrade (due to the BBC's public duties and related compatibility issues) that it has fallen far behind rival streaming services. I think BBC and ITV plan to launch a joint streaming venture which isn't bound by the same constraints as iPlayer to compete with Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.
    Ah right, that'll be an interesting development then. Cheers

£5.10 for a pretty average pint of Guinness in Ryrie's at Haymarket yesterday. No wonder the place was empty.
    That's the most I've paid for a pint in Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    £5.10 for a pretty average pint of Guinness in Ryrie's at Haymarket yesterday. No wonder the place was empty.
    It's been overly expensive for a dump for years, very rare to see anyone except tourists in there these days.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Flu. Struck down on Friday night and I'm sure my shaking is registered on the richter scale, not to mention the sweat, I reckon my temperature must be having an effect on global warming. Got no energy to do anything.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Football fans who rejoice in slagging their own team and no I'm not just talking about Hibs fans, you hear it all over

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Football fans who rejoice in slagging their own team and no I'm not just talking about Hibs fans, you hear it all over
    I'm sure there's a psychological reason for this and the source of the phenomena will be with the individual rather than their team.

That's at the upper end of the scale, certainly for a dump like Ryrie's, but not unheard of in certain necks of the wood tbf.

@hibs.net private member
    The coverage of Scottish football, or the lack of it, in The Mirror newspaper.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Was in a pub in Shepherds Bush a few weeks back as I was at a QPR game, £15.20 for two pints of lager. Brutal!!!
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Was in a pub in Shepherds Bush a few weeks back as I was at a QPR game, £15.20 for two pints of lager. Brutal!!!
    Now that IS robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    The coverage of Scottish football, or the lack of it, in The Mirror newspaper.
    The Mirror doesn't have a Scottish edition in the same way a paper like The Sun does hence it's lack of Scottish coverage. It has the same parent company as the Daily Record and essentially uses that as it's Scottish edition.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Mirror doesn't have a Scottish edition in the same way a paper like The Sun does hence it's lack of Scottish coverage. It has the same parent company as the Daily Record and essentially uses that as it's Scottish edition.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Blimey! The Bush must have gone all posh!

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    People who exit or enter somewhere then immediately stop blocking people behind them, e.g. folk that get off the bus then just stop, folk that leave a building then just stop, and worst of all, people who stop at the end of escalators. Pond life the lot of them.
    THIS!

Also when they immediately exit or enter a building in front of you and as you try to move around them somehow end up still blocking you but look at you like you're the bad guy for wanting to get past

My Mrs is bad for that, constantly in the road, seems to have zero concept of other people... drives me mad!

Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post
    THIS!

Also when they immediately exit or enter a building in front of you and as you try to move around them somehow end up still blocking you but look at you like you're the bad guy for wanting to get past

My Mrs is bad for that, constantly in the road, seems to have zero concept of other people... drives me mad!
    Pedestrians that are incapable of leaving their phones in their pockets as they make their way from A to B are particularly bad for this. I don't drive but, its amazing how many folk you see crossing the road and don't even have a cursory check on the traffic. It only takes one driver to not stop for carnage to ensue.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Pedestrians that are incapable of leaving their phones in their pockets as they make their way from A to B are particularly bad for this. I don't drive but, its amazing how many folk you see crossing the road and don't even have a cursory check on the traffic. It only takes one driver to not stop for carnage to ensue.
    Even when you beep the horn to remind them you are there they look up with this gormless zombie like stare, as if you (the driver) are in the wrong for making them look up from whatever Instagram "celebrity" product endorsement that has caught their attention.

Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post
    Even when you beep the horn to remind them you are there they look up with this gormless zombie like stare, as if you (the driver) are in the wrong for making them look up from whatever Instagram "celebrity" product endorsement that has caught their attention.
    Today a gang of students (I live in Cambridge) were all glued to their phones so I stopped. 2 walked into me who got the hump.
    I sat at the back of a bus recently and a gang of then came on. One said these seats are reserved for us! Move me then I said, they didnt and the journey was continued in silence.
    It feels like an entitlement they feel the have. Wee bassas

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Council communication.

My garden waste bins were out in plenty time, I heard the lorry, went out an hour later only to discover they were tagged with labels saying "Sorry we could not empty your bin and generic stuff about it did not meet with council Bin Policy and the less than helpful list of what you can put in and what you can't

My bins contained a lot of weeds, nettle, ground elder, buttercup and couch grass.

So, I phoned for an explanation, eventually got a girl in the call centre, and again they are not going to know why the bins wer not emptied so I suggested a redesign of the label so there was at least an indication of why it had been left. Later that day I got an email explanation, wait for it, "The bin contained contaminated materials -TURF/EARTH"

Now for irony that takes a bit of beating, the garden waste bin was contaminated with waste from the garden. I should point out at this point that it wasn't, there was some soil from the roots of all the weeds,but there was no turf, it was just that I had weeded 2 decent sized vegetable patches.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    That's at the upper end of the scale, certainly for a dump like Ryrie's, but not unheard of in certain necks of the wood tbf.
    The Abbotsford charges a hefty £4.70 for Guinness but it's the best pint in the city. The research continues!

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    The Abbotsford charges a hefty £4.70 for Guinness but it's the best pint in the city. The research continues!
    Whighams used to do a cracking pint of Guinness, but that was many moons ago. Always worth researching though

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Am I just an old git who doesn’t recognise fashion or does half massed trousers with white socks and black shoes look ridiculous?