hibs.net Messageboard

Page 375 of 427 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377385425 ... LastLast
Results 11,221 to 11,250 of 12789

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably an irrational peeve, but people abandoning or not lining up their trolley at supermarkets properly when returning them

The ones that edge out on to the road cause someone couldn't be arsed nudging it forward ever so slightly especially does my nut in
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    can I add to this, the trolley bays that are wide enough for 3 trolleys, yet inevitably there’s a single row of trolleys that sticks out into the road, whilst the other 2 rows only have a couple each… but folk still add the the one that’s too long already
    Can’t believe no-one has mentioned people that just empty their trolley and leave it lying wherever they’ve finished with it. No matter where you are parked, there will be a trolley bay within 10 metres of where you are. Why could anyone find that walk inconvenient.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Can’t believe no-one has mentioned people that just empty their trolley and leave it lying wherever they’ve finished with it. No matter where you are parked, there will be a trolley bay within 10 metres of where you are. Why could anyone find that walk inconvenient.
    And those same people would kick off if a floating trolley scratched their car....

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Green bin day in Edinburgh. Leave it wedged against the wall so it doesn't get blown over.
    Council employee comes along and moves it three feet to the side of the road to save half a second when the lorry comes round.

Wind blows (now freestanding) green bin over. Rubbish blown all over street.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Worse when it’s in a parking space and you approach it, indicate to go in and then just as you start to turn your clock the ****ing thing, abandoned.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I was in Glasgow last night and there was actual gangs of deliveroo/just eat drivers just hanging around street corners waiting on their phones pinging. Not something I have experienced in Edinburgh yet but whilst not intimidating or anything like that but the were obstructing pedestrian areas.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    I was in Glasgow last night and there was actual gangs of deliveroo/just eat drivers just hanging around street corners waiting on their phones pinging. Not something I have experienced in Edinburgh yet but whilst not intimidating or anything like that but the were obstructing pedestrian areas.
    Yeah, see them all the time in Argyle St astride their Zoomo e-bikes. Again, not intimidating but definitely an obstruction.
    As an aside, does anyone else sing the Fast Food song (by the Fast Food Rockers) when they pass the junction of Argyle St & Union St. There is literally a McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut there 😀

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Anyone else getting constant adds on YouTube for a new series on Dave? Meet The Richardson’s. Literally every advert, or if there’s two adverts it’s one of them, is for that show. I’ve never watched it before or watched anything with John Richardson, though I don’t mind him, on YouTube. I think I’m getting Stockholm syndrome.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Wonky supermarket trolleys, just about every trolley I pick at my local Asda has a dodgy wheel with a flat spot on it. Spend the next half hour thumping my way around the place getting my shopping. On the odd occasion I’ve changed it for another, more often than not it’s equally as bad.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Wonky supermarket trolleys, just about every trolley I pick at my local Asda has a dodgy wheel with a flat spot on it. Spend the next half hour thumping my way around the place getting my shopping. On the odd occasion I’ve changed it for another, more often than not it’s equally as bad.
    Supermarkets that make you sign up to their card/club just to pay for things at the "normal" already over-inflated price (Tesco ) I'll never set foot in a shop that does this.

Supermarkets that make you sign up to their card/club just to pay for things at the "normal" already over-inflated price (Tesco ) I'll never set foot in a shop that does this.
    Sainsbury Nectar card currently gets you 24 cans of coke zero for £5.00, without the card £10. Selling elsehwere for anything from £9ish to £12ish pound. For people with little, or no longer know what disposable income means, they will be happy to sign up. The downside is remembering to take all cards with you to benefit. That's just one example.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Sainsbury Nectar card currently gets you 24 cans of coke zero for £5.00, without the card £10. Selling elsehwere for anything from £9ish to £12ish pound. For people with little, or no longer know what disposable income means, they will be happy to sign up. The downside is remembering to take all cards with you to benefit. That's just one example.
    They should be selling them at that price anyway, they just want to hoard your data to sell off to other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post

there’s a few apps you can use to put a digital copy of your card on your phone, Stocard is one. Saves carting all the extra cards/trying to remember the ones you think you’ll need

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Gatecrasher;7331747]Supermarkets that make you sign up to their card/club just to pay for things at the "normal" already over-inflated price (Tesco ) I'll never set foot in a shop that does this.[

I agree, Tesco have introduced two tier pricing. Walking through their store is depressing having the mug price against their Clubcard price.

The mug price subsidises the cheaper price. So unfriendly.

Pet Peeves IV

[QUOTE=pollution;7331921]
    Supermarkets that make you sign up to their card/club just to pay for things at the "normal" already over-inflated price (Tesco ) I'll never set foot in a shop that does this.[

I agree, Tesco have introduced two tier pricing. Walking through their store is depressing having the mug price against their Clubcard price.

The mug price subsidises the cheaper price. So unfriendly.
    Get a part time job at Tesco for two weeks, turn up for one maybe two shifts and call in sick the rest of the time until you get the colleague club card then quit. Problem solved.

Edit: no comment on how I came to be in possession of this life hack, it’s probably considered fraud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    there’s a few apps you can use to put a digital copy of your card on your phone, Stocard is one. Saves carting all the extra cards/trying to remember the ones you think you’ll need
    Ta. I'm not great with apps, but good to know to pass on to others.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    They should be selling them at that price anyway, they just want to hoard your data to sell off to other companies.
    I can't remember when I signed up what I agreed for them to do with my data (not sure they're collecting much of value?) now but that seems a bit far fetched. Even still, they can crack on with it so long as they keep giving me 58p off my crab meat.

Edit:

Where appropriate we share personal data with the Sainsbury's Group and with our trusted service providers. In limited circumstances we may share your information with other parties, such as, if we are required to do so by law or where we are asked by a public or regulatory authority.

We may also share your information if we need to exercise or protect our legal rights, users, systems and services or the rights of others
    Last edited by danhibees1875; 18-04-2023 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I can't remember when I signed up what I agreed for them to do with my data (not sure they're collecting much of value?) now but that seems a bit far fetched. Even still, they can crack on with it so long as they keep giving me 58p off my crab meat.

Edit:

Where appropriate we share personal data with the Sainsbury's Group and with our trusted service providers. In limited circumstances we may share your information with other parties, such as, if we are required to do so by law or where we are asked by a public or regulatory authority.

We may also share your information if we need to exercise or protect our legal rights, users, systems and services or the rights of others
    I've got a dump email address that I use when I sign up for anything. My proper email address is restricted to things I actually need to respond to and the dump one is just full of marketing and offers. I check it a couple of times a week and tbh there are often some pretty good deals to be had. I've got a Family & Friends Railcard and that has a few cracking offers; I've had a full toiletry set and only paid the postage, a 25% off voucher for a hotel group and a 30% discount voucher for airport parking as well. That's just the ones I have used. Add to that for a payment of £30 a year I save 33% on all train ticket purchases with the family. A trip to see my father in law sees us save at least £60 but often as much as £120 so in one trip it more than pays for itself and we generally make the trip at least twice a year. Same with my Tesco Clubcard, mines is linked to my Tesco credit card so I play the system a wee bit. I pay for all my fuel using the credit card and always use a Tesco petrol station, all big purchases using it, my weekly shop using it etc etc. I then pay it off in full so incur no interest but still get the points for the credit card spend and for the purchases if they were in Tesco.. I just cashed in vouchers the other week and with the 3 x exchange value available until June I converted £25 worth of points into £75 worth of vouchers for Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Booked tickets for 4 of us in October and what should have cost £130 only cost me £55.

I do take the broader point about two tier pricing and the suggestion lower pricing should be implemented across the board but until that's the case I'm quite happy to keep playing the game with them.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've got a dump email address that I use when I sign up for anything. My proper email address is restricted to things I actually need to respond to and the dump one is just full of marketing and offers. I check it a couple of times a week and tbh there are often some pretty good deals to be had. I've got a Family & Friends Railcard and that has a few cracking offers; I've had a full toiletry set and only paid the postage, a 25% off voucher for a hotel group and a 30% discount voucher for airport parking as well. That's just the ones I have used. Add to that for a payment of £30 a year I save 33% on all train ticket purchases with the family. A trip to see my father in law sees us save at least £60 but often as much as £120 so in one trip it more than pays for itself and we generally make the trip at least twice a year. Same with my Tesco Clubcard, mines is linked to my Tesco credit card so I play the system a wee bit. I pay for all my fuel using the credit card and always use a Tesco petrol station, all big purchases using it, my weekly shop using it etc etc. I then pay it off in full so incur no interest but still get the points for the credit card spend and for the purchases if they were in Tesco.. I just cashed in vouchers the other week and with the 3 x exchange value available until June I converted £25 worth of points into £75 worth of vouchers for Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Booked tickets for 4 of us in October and what should have cost £130 only cost me £55.

I do take the broader point about two tier pricing and the suggestion lower pricing should be implemented across the board but until that's the case I'm quite happy to keep playing the game with them.
    Having a second email account is a cracking idea. I wish I'd implemented that but feel I'm too far down the rabbit hole now. I've taken to unsubscribing from things more diligently though. I can't say I've noticed myself getting many of those.sort of offers though - will keep an eye out.

That's an impressive haul of offers! The only thing I do is use nectar points (and prices) when I shop. I've got £120 of points which my wife insists on keeping for next Christmas (I'd spend them now, there's only downside to waiting since they no longer double up).

Unfortunately my wife doesn't like the idea of credit cards. You're spot on in the way you use yours though and is the first thing I'd recommend to anyone looking for advise on their personal finances.
    Mon the Hibs.

“Hence why”

Particularly when used by people trying to sound clever and/or condescending.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

You can get the railcard through the Tesco Clubcard points too. I did that very thing yesterday. £10 worth of points got me a Two Together railcard worth £30. Similar to the Friends and Family one, we get a third off rail fares when me and my wife travel together (with some exceptions) which given we live a few minutes walk from South Gyle station is not infrequent.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    You can get the railcard through the Tesco Clubcard points too. I did that very thing yesterday. £10 worth of points got me a Two Together railcard worth £30. Similar to the Friends and Family one, we get a third off rail fares when me and my wife travel together (with some exceptions) which given we live a few minutes walk from South Gyle station is not infrequent.
    We've got a 2 together Railcard, paid for itself in the first 2 weeks, everything else a bonus. £25 well spent.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    £7.30 for a pint of San Miguel, in a plastic cup at the corn exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    £7.30 for a pint of San Miguel, in a plastic cup at the corn exchange.
    It seems to be something that has just crept in.

I was at Newmarket last year for the Guineas Festival and that was £7.95 a pint of Madri. A few of my mates were at Aintree at the weekend and they were £7.50 a Pravha or £7.20 for Carling with a spirit at £5.50 a single and mixers starting at £2.50. I know costs have gone up across the board but £154 return on a bottle of vodka is one hell of a mark up.

You obviously expect to pay a bit more at event venues of any description because of the captive market but I've increasingly found myself just not buying a drink at things I usually always would have. Even in pubs £4.50+ is pretty standard for Tennents now and in the centre of town the £6 and £7 a pint barrier is breached regularly outside of the likes of Wetherspoons.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    It seems to be something that has just crept in.

I was at Newmarket last year for the Guineas Festival and that was £7.95 a pint of Madri. A few of my mates were at Aintree at the weekend and they were £7.50 a Pravha or £7.20 for Carling with a spirit at £5.50 a single and mixers starting at £2.50. I know costs have gone up across the board but £154 return on a bottle of vodka is one hell of a mark up.

You obviously expect to pay a bit more at event venues of any description because of the captive market but I've increasingly found myself just not buying a drink at things I usually always would have. Even in pubs £4.50+ is pretty standard for Tennents now and in the centre of town the £6 and £7 a pint barrier is breached regularly outside of the likes of Wetherspoons.
    I got a pint of Moretti in a pub in Biggar last week, they were £5.85. I don't even know it thats good anymore.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I got a pint of Moretti in a pub in Biggar last week, they were £5.85. I don't even know it thats good anymore.

I would accept that if it were brewed in Italy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I’m £5.40 for a pint of Menabrea or £4.30 for Tennents in Hamilton. Even drinking in the house has gotten more expensive recently, got a four pack of Menabrea and a half bottle of buckfast in the off license yesterday as I’m off work from today until Monday, that set me back £13. Absolute rip off at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Yesterday was in:

The Newsroom
    The Guildford
    Tiles
    The Abbotsford
    Rose St Brewery
    Robinsons Bar 37
    The Amber Rose
    Winstons (less than £10 per round)

The round for two of us varied between £11-£12.50 in each one which is about par for the course up town.

Bottle of Buckfast has gone up by a £1 this week and a 900ml bottle of Lucozade up from £1.25 to £2 in my local shop.
    £5.50 for a pint of San Miguel now as well in my usual place.
    Went for tapas the other night with the Mrs. Shared a jug of sangria and had 4 tapas each. Bill was over £100. Its tapas (insert swear words).

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I just paid £3.90 for a pint of Madri in my Sports and Social club.

Shows you what profit they're making elsewhere.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Funny article about Madri "the taste of Madrid ", invented and brewed in Yorkshire and not seen in Madrid

https://archive.ph/Dc3qq