hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 292 of 299 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294 ... LastLast
Results 8,731 to 8,760 of 8957

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

  1. #8731
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    17,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the theme of reviews.

    When people review a hotel and don't give any thought to the star rating or what they paid.

    We went for a couple of days down south last summer. We didn't want to spend a fortune so picked a hotel at about £45 a night. The reviews were mixed at best but we chanced it. It was fine. Dated and tired but spotlessly clean and the continental breakfast was fine.

    I always like to leave a review and particularly so when somewhere has been getting an unfair raw deal. I dug a bit into the other reviews and some of them were ridiculous. The 1 star reviews included 'I had to climb a flight of stairs and there was no porterage although the receptionist did offer to help', 'we struggled to get parked, the website did mention limited parking but this was still disappointing', 'the continental breakfast was poor offering only fruit, cereal, pastries and toast. No hot option'......

    It's £40 a night. If it's clean, tidy and the staff are polite then you should be relatively happy. If you want multiple breakfast options, ample on site parking, porters or a concierge and similar then pay the going rate for that. Don't mark people offering a budget option down because you are a cheapskate.
    I read a review for a hotel I was thinking about booking and the person gave it 4 stars, they said they would’ve given it 5 but the the weather wasn’t great.

    United we stand here....


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #8732
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,135
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read a review for a hotel I was thinking about booking and the person gave it 4 stars, they said they would’ve given it 5 but the the weather wasn’t great.
    When I worked in the motor trade you'd get reviewed on absolutely everything. Some of the things people would mark you down for were incredible; even had one that read "Brilliant service, couldn't fault it" and scored four stars. Meant I lost out on a bonus for it as it's five stars or nothing.

    There was a story on 'Angry People in Local Newspapers' a couple of years back about someone who won an award from TripAdvisor for most reviews posted in a year - something like 700 or so. Maybe more. Curiosity led me to looking up that profile and it would appear that their daily schedule consisted of get up, walk to the local McDonalds for a coffee, get lunch from Greggs, walk by somewhere on the way home and occasionally go out for a 'Spoons tea. Almost every single one of those five stars, she even reviewed a stand containing tourist attraction leaflets at a train station.

    I'll always leave a positive review for independent restaurants, cafes and the like on the usual sites as it's a good way to show appreciation; one place I helped run got massive attention from good reviews and it's nice to repay the favour. Reviewing a coffee from McDonalds (five stars every single time does literally nothing to help local restauranteurs and hospitality businesses, in fact it just hides them in amongst the multi national chains. It's tacky as hell.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  4. #8733
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    11,139
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People that leave 1 star reviews for a product when their complaint is entirely regarding the service of Amazon etc and nothing to do with the actual product or company selling the product.
    Yeah that’s an annoying one.

    Amazon is full of them and was actually shaking my head at exactly this the other night....one in particular caught my eye as it was a one star review due to the excessive packaging the product had came in, not a single mention of the product or if it was any good or not!

  5. #8734
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah that’s an annoying one.

    Amazon is full of them and was actually shaking my head at exactly this the other night....one in particular caught my eye as it was a one star review due to the excessive packaging the product had came in, not a single mention of the product or if it was any good or not!
    On a similar theme with Amazon - the questions section.

    Q: does the product come in green?
    A: I don’t know we got the red one.

    Why bother answering?

  6. #8735
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    575
    Subtitles that arrive before the words are spoken.

  7. #8736
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a similar theme with Amazon - the questions section.

    Q: does the product come in green?
    A: I don’t know we got the red one.

    Why bother answering?
    That does my nut in. Though I was recently entertained when I was looking at a neck massager on Amazon. The questions were all asking whether it could be used, erm, internally.

  8. #8737
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,950
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That does my nut in. Though I was recently entertained when I was looking at a neck massager on Amazon. The questions were all asking whether it could be used, erm, internally.
    Definite choking hazard.

  9. #8738
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    30,186
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That does my nut in. Though I was recently entertained when I was looking at a neck massager on Amazon. The questions were all asking whether it could be used, erm, internally.

    Aw come on, I was just curious!

  10. #8739
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    30,186
    Posts on DotNet that insist on telling me what software and phone they used to write said post


    "Sent from my fancy-nancy Samsung using TippetyTallk"



    Seriously, what makes you think I care what bl**dy phone you've got?

    Is it an overcompensating thing or what?

  11. #8740
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    25,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Posts on DotNet that insist on telling me what software and phone they used to write said post


    "Sent from my fancy-nancy Samsung using TippetyTallk"



    Seriously, what makes you think I care what bl**dy phone you've got?

    Is it an overcompensating thing or what?
    It's an automatic thing, and you have to go out your way to find and change the settings. If you change phone you have to remember to do it again. It's a pest.

  12. #8741
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    50
    Posts
    18,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's an automatic thing, and you have to go out your way to find and change the settings. If you change phone you have to remember to do it again. It's a pest.
    Automatic on every phone? Don't think it comes up for mine.

  13. #8742
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    25,457
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Automatic on every phone? Don't think it comes up for mine.
    It's automatic if you install and use Tapatalk to browse forums.

    What's worse is that if you use it for more than one forum, you have to change the settings for each forum.

  14. #8743
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    50
    Posts
    18,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's automatic if you install and use Tapatalk to browse forums.

    What's worse is that if you use it for more than one forum, you have to change the settings for each forum.
    Fair enough, never got involved in that.

  15. #8744
    Probably been covered already (probably by myself) but the way people on Youtube all scream and wave their arms about in the exact same way no matter the subject matter.



    "HEEEEEEEEEEEY GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYS TODAY WE'RE GOING TO BE TALKING ABOUT INVESTMENTS. REMEMBER TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON AND SUBSCRIBE AND HIT THAT BELL BUTTON FOR NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!"



    It's for that reason I try to find blogs instead of shifting through hours of self promotion and "LOOK AT ME!!!!!" behaviour in the search for actual information.

  16. #8745
    Whether in writing or speaking, people that end sentences (usually making them rhetorical questions) with "no?".

    E.g. "Better than getting knocked out by Brora Rangers, no?"

    I can't really explain why it annoys me so much.

  17. #8746
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,135
    'Deconstructed' dishes in restaurants.

    Just now I'm making a rhubarb crumble. Rhubarb being stewed with some root ginger and sugar (still making sure it's tart) and made a crumble topping with some blitzed hazelnuts and pinhead oats. Will top the stewed rhubarb with that, sprinkle a little brown sugar and cook. When it's in the oven, make a simple custard. Unless something dramatic goes wrong, it's going to be delicious.

    What I don't want is some grilled rhubarb, a sauce, a sprinkle of some dry crumble mix on the side and have to put it together myself. That's not a rhubarb crumble, it's an abomination.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  18. #8747
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whether in writing or speaking, people that end sentences (usually making them rhetorical questions) with "no?".

    E.g. "Better than getting knocked out by Brora Rangers, no?"

    I can't really explain why it annoys me so much.
    In a similar vein people who end a sentence by trying to force you to agree with them. Usually with a phrase like 'am I right?' or similar.

    'The sky is pink with yellow spots, am I right?'

    It's deliberately aggressive and provocative. It's the way bullies talk as it's anticipating and trying to provoke conflict.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  19. #8748
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,655
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whether in writing or speaking, people that end sentences (usually making them rhetorical questions) with "no?".

    E.g. "Better than getting knocked out by Brora Rangers, no?"

    I can't really explain why it annoys me so much.
    Because it should end with "eh no"

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  20. #8749
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,168
    Every time I sign something I’m reminded of how crap my signature is. It’s not fancy, it doesn’t look good on anything and genuinely could have been done by a child.

  21. #8750
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,135
    Neither my partner and I want a child; we're both very much on that wavelength and we're very comfortable with it. Every time you hear the "Oh, so is a baby the next step?" and you say no, you always get the usual "Oh, you'll regret that when you're older" or "but it'll change your lives" and the like. That in itself is annoying.

    We are getting a dog in a few weeks time, and these very same people are saying "Oh, but it's so much hard work" and the like.

    What the hell do they think a child is other than hard work and a responsibility?


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  22. #8751
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither my partner and I want a child; we're both very much on that wavelength and we're very comfortable with it. Every time you hear the "Oh, so is a baby the next step?" and you say no, you always get the usual "Oh, you'll regret that when you're older" or "but it'll change your lives" and the like. That in itself is annoying.

    We are getting a dog in a few weeks time, and these very same people are saying "Oh, but it's so much hard work" and the like.

    What the hell do they think a child is other than hard work and a responsibility?


    Wait until you are a bit older and you are asked if you have children and say you don't.

    You will have a sympathetic look thrown at you with a perceptible up and down scan from your toes to your head with a near-piteous sneer.

  23. #8752
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    11,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither my partner and I want a child; we're both very much on that wavelength and we're very comfortable with it. Every time you hear the "Oh, so is a baby the next step?" and you say no, you always get the usual "Oh, you'll regret that when you're older" or "but it'll change your lives" and the like. That in itself is annoying.

    We are getting a dog in a few weeks time, and these very same people are saying "Oh, but it's so much hard work" and the like.

    What the hell do they think a child is other than hard work and a responsibility?
    Having had both I’d say that the dog was way more hard work and responsibility than the kid ever was!!

  24. #8753
    @hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wallyford
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having had both I’d say that the dog was way more hard work and responsibility than the kid ever was!!
    I have a wee one who is 9 months old & a dog who is 7 years old who we’ve had since he was 8 weeks old.

    All I’ll say is that it’s great that babies wear nappies.

    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

  25. #8754
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    30,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a similar vein people who end a sentence by trying to force you to agree with them. Usually with a phrase like 'am I right?' or similar.

    'The sky is pink with yellow spots, am I right?'

    It's deliberately aggressive and provocative. It's the way bullies talk as it's anticipating and trying to provoke conflict.

    Funnily enough, I was thinking exactly the same when I read the previous comment.

    I've worked with a couple of people that thought only their opinion mattered and they would make statement sound like a question by adding the word 'correct?' at the end, e.g.

    "So we each need to increase our productivity by 20% to meet the deadline... correct?"


    I always tried to remain professional but it really p1ssed me off.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 21-04-2021 at 04:50 PM.

  26. #8755
    People that try and convince the rest of the office they are qualified enough to be in the role they are, by not speaking normally.

    “Have you got resource/capacity...?”

    Just ask me if I'm able to do whatever the fu** it is you’re wanting me to do.

  27. #8756
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People that try and convince the rest of the office they are qualified enough to be in the role they are, by not speaking normally.

    “Have you got resource/capacity...?”

    Just ask me if I'm able to do whatever the fu** it is you’re wanting me to do.
    "How's your capacity for next week?"

    "My what?"

    "Your capacity?"


    "MY ****ING WHAT MATE?!?!?!"

  28. #8757
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,681
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People that try and convince the rest of the office they are qualified enough to be in the role they are, by not speaking normally.

    “Have you got resource/capacity...?”

    Just ask me if I'm able to do whatever the fu** it is you’re wanting me to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "How's your capacity for next week?"

    "My what?"

    "Your capacity?"


    "MY ****ING WHAT MATE?!?!?!"
    Office speak, my lad is a big boss at Scottish Widows and he he talks like this now and then.

  29. #8758
    Follow 'The state of Linkedin' on Twitter if you want to see some classic business speak and bull****.

    I've noticed in recent years a trend for the middle management ****** (as opposed to the middle managers who remain decent people when they get a promotion) speak to be spreading throughout companies. It used to be the preserve of a very particular type but it's more and more widespread and seems to have got worse since the pandemic started. I think working from home and not getting picked up on it and slagged by people for doing it is a big part of the reason.

    One of the accounts team in my work always talks about 'touching base' and has definitely expanded her business vocabulary since working from home.

    'Can you give me a call next week just to touch base on your aged debtors. I understand that debt chasing isn't one of your core competencies but compensation payments are being made and businesses are reopening so so let's make hay while we have a bit of leverage. If you could just reach out and get those statements over the wall then touch base again with me when it's done that would be taking it to the next level from you'.

    **** off.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  30. #8759
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Follow 'The state of Linkedin' on Twitter if you want to see some classic business speak and bull****.

    I've noticed in recent years a trend for the middle management ****** (as opposed to the middle managers who remain decent people when they get a promotion) speak to be spreading throughout companies. It used to be the preserve of a very particular type but it's more and more widespread and seems to have got worse since the pandemic started. I think working from home and not getting picked up on it and slagged by people for doing it is a big part of the reason.

    One of the accounts team in my work always talks about 'touching base' and has definitely expanded her business vocabulary since working from home.

    'Can you give me a call next week just to touch base on your aged debtors. I understand that debt chasing isn't one of your core competencies but compensation payments are being made and businesses are reopening so so let's make hay while we have a bit of leverage. If you could just reach out and get those statements over the wall then touch base again with me when it's done that would be taking it to the next level from you'.

    **** off.
    I hate this. I’m working on a project at the moment where this is rife. Acronyms at work are a similar annoyance. My employer is bad for this anyway but on this project it is even worse. At the start of the project we were told by the leadership to avoid using acronyms to make it easier for folk to understand. It is the same leadership who are the worst at coming up with these acronyms.

  31. #8760
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    25,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Follow 'The state of Linkedin' on Twitter if you want to see some classic business speak and bull****.

    I've noticed in recent years a trend for the middle management ****** (as opposed to the middle managers who remain decent people when they get a promotion) speak to be spreading throughout companies. It used to be the preserve of a very particular type but it's more and more widespread and seems to have got worse since the pandemic started. I think working from home and not getting picked up on it and slagged by people for doing it is a big part of the reason.

    One of the accounts team in my work always talks about 'touching base' and has definitely expanded her business vocabulary since working from home.

    'Can you give me a call next week just to touch base on your aged debtors. I understand that debt chasing isn't one of your core competencies but compensation payments are being made and businesses are reopening so so let's make hay while we have a bit of leverage. If you could just reach out and get those statements over the wall then touch base again with me when it's done that would be taking it to the next level from you'.

    **** off.
    Awesome

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)