hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 300 of 303 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 9,000 of 9090

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

  1. #8971
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The overused line of "Totally different players" when someone doesn't want to commit or admit that one player is better than the other. Coronation St and the Sopranos are totally different TV shows, but I know which is f****ng better.

    "I'm glad you're not picking the team" - as if there is a live danger that someone from hibs.net might randomly be installed to select the team for the match taking place in 3 days' time.
    Can I add 'I'll stick to trusting the manager thank you very much' to the list.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #8972
    People who don't know what a millenial is. It seems to have become a generic term thrown about as an insult by people who hate anyone younger than them.

    The first millenial grandparents now exist. We really aren't that young anymore.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  4. #8973
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Gross Kienitz
    Posts
    14,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who don't know what a millenial is. It seems to have become a generic term thrown about as an insult by people who hate anyone younger than them.

    The first millenial grandparents now exist. We really aren't that young anymore.
    It's always been a peeve of mine that older generations look down upon the younger ones. Most of the things in this world that hold us back are circumstances and beliefs we have been forced to inherit from previous generations. As parents we need to prepare our kids for the environment that they will have to live in, not the one we were born into.

  5. #8974
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,980
    Folk that put in a meeting request with a Teams meeting link in it, then donít use the link themselves. Thereís a new guy at work who does this, I click the link and wait in the meeting room only for him to call me separately via a direct Teams call.

    On the same theme, the Teams TV adÖ Iím on Teams most of the day, Iíd rather not hear the dreaded Teams alert noise whilst Iím watching TV, thank you very much.

  6. #8975
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,610
    Hibs fans and their unreasonable sense of entitlement regards the cup final ticket allocation.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  7. #8976
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs fans and their unreasonable sense of entitlement regards the cup final ticket allocation.
    I'd quote the whole thread. Theres a pervading sense of anger before any facts are known. Then a pile on. There's a number of false equivalences, then a pile on There's assumptions and misinformation, then a pile on. Explanations given then ignored and.... another pile on.
    Unworkable suggestions given the time frame.
    It's a cracking end of season anger fest which is like a match day thread but so much worse.

    Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

  8. #8977
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    29
    Posts
    12,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who don't know what a millenial is. It seems to have become a generic term thrown about as an insult by people who hate anyone younger than them.

    The first millenial grandparents now exist. We really aren't that young anymore.
    Do we get away with it if we also never use the term?

    I didn't really become aware of all these generational names until there was too many of them to want to understand...

    I'd want to say someone born just after the millennium but presumably they're not the grandparents you speak of...
    Mon the Hibs.

  9. #8978
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who don't know what a millenial is. It seems to have become a generic term thrown about as an insult by people who hate anyone younger than them.

    The first millenial grandparents now exist. We really aren't that young anymore.
    What chance do they have when the experts can't even agree?

  10. #8979
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,664
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do we get away with it if we also never use the term?

    I didn't really become aware of all these generational names until there was too many of them to want to understand...

    I'd want to say someone born just after the millennium but presumably they're not the grandparents you speak of...
    Its not a term I used but heard of quite a bit. I'd always presumed it was people born around the millennium so late teens,/early twenties. A woman on dragons den called herself a millennial and I realised I was wrong. Apparently it's people who became adults around the millennium so late 30s now.

  11. #8980
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do we get away with it if we also never use the term?

    I didn't really become aware of all these generational names until there was too many of them to want to understand...

    I'd want to say someone born just after the millennium but presumably they're not the grandparents you speak of...
    It's generally accepted as people born between 1980 and 1994, though some stretch it to 1996. Those born late 90s through early 2010s are Gen Z and those from about 2012 onwards are Gen Alpha.

  12. #8981
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's generally accepted as people born between 1980 and 1994, though some stretch it to 1996. Those born late 9ps through early 2010s are Gen Z and those from about 2012 onwards are Gen Alpha.
    Is it not easier to refer to people by the decade they were born in?

  13. #8982
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it not easier to refer to people by the decade they were born in?
    Possibly. I think the terms are used to describe generations with defining characteristics and shared societal and economic experiences though. That doesn't really work if you break everything into 10 year blocks.

    I don't really care. My gripe is more with people who use a term as an insult that they don't understand themselves.

    I read someone the other day mouthing off about millenials being spoilt brats because they had been brought up with iPhones since the day they were born. That's just blatant nonsense spouted by someone who either doesn't know what a millenial is or doesn't know when the 1st iPhone was released.

  14. #8983
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    19,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it not easier to refer to people by the decade they were born in?
    I wonder how many would like to be known as naughties
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, KEEP 2M APART AND GET THE VACCINE

  15. #8984
    Testimonial Due Santa Cruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Folsom Prison
    Posts
    2,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who don't know what a millenial is. It seems to have become a generic term thrown about as an insult by people who hate anyone younger than them.

    The first millenial grandparents now exist. We really aren't that young anymore.
    The over use of referring to people as Boomers or Karen's. I don't know what a boomer is, but accept I'm a bit of a Karen, cos my daughter tells me regularly when I complain about being charged twice for an order etc

  16. #8985
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's generally accepted as people born between 1980 and 1994, though some stretch it to 1996. Those born late 90s through early 2010s are Gen Z and those from about 2012 onwards are Gen Alpha.
    When did this nonsense start and who was the twat who started it? Its all crept up on me. Shoot me if I ever use these terms. Spoke to my son who's in his thirties and he's never used these terms either.

  17. #8986
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did this nonsense start and who was the twat who started it? Its all crept up on me. Shoot me if I ever use these terms. Spoke to my son who's in his thirties and he's never used these terms either.
    I don't think it is something that people use in everyday conversation. Millenial and boomer are the 2 that are probably used the most often, generally both as insults.

    These kinds of terms have been around for years though. I can remember reading about the lost generation, silent generation, generation x etc at least 20 years ago. In Eastern Europe those brought up immediately after the fall of the Soviet Union were termed the independence generation, there were Husaks Children in the former Czechoslovakia, the post 80s in China, the Columbuses in Poland and so on.

  18. #8987
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did this nonsense start and who was the twat who started it? Its all crept up on me. Shoot me if I ever use these terms. Spoke to my son who's in his thirties and he's never used these terms either.
    I reckon I first heard about the baby boomers when the companies started to realise that their was a huge pension deficit, probably late 80's. Always thought Generation X were ok but not my favourite band.
    Last edited by Killiehibbie; 14-05-2021 at 04:35 PM.

  19. #8988
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it is something that people use in everyday conversation. Millenial and boomer are the 2 that are probably used the most often, generally both as insults.

    These kinds of terms have been around for years though. I can remember reading about the lost generation, silent generation, generation x etc at least 20 years ago. In Eastern Europe those brought up immediately after the fall of the Soviet Union were termed the independence generation, there were Husaks Children in the former Czechoslovakia, the post 80s in China, the Columbuses in Poland and so on.
    Yep itís only something Iíve ever had to be involved with at work (baby boomers, millennials, generation X) and donít think Iíve ever seen any of the terms used outside the workplace, apart from on quiz shows/possibly the news. Itís alarming if the sort of people that donít understand their insults have now started with this...

  20. #8989
    Testimonial Due Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    4,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did this nonsense start and who was the twat who started it? Its all crept up on me. Shoot me if I ever use these terms. Spoke to my son who's in his thirties and he's never used these terms either.
    I had to look it up. If I go with this thread then 1980 makes me a millennial. Not something I'd have called myself. Other sources make me generation X - the 'latchkey" generation - which seems more like me. Others again say that 1980 is on the cusp of both so technically I'm a Xennial....

    It is nonsense.

  21. #8990
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der HŲlle
    Posts
    30,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who don't know what a millenial is. It seems to have become a generic term thrown about as an insult by people who hate anyone younger than them.

    The first millenial grandparents now exist. We really aren't that young anymore.

    I'd take that a bit further and say that a pet peeve of mine is the labelling of groups of people, and then using that label to describe them as if they were a group with almost identical views, circumstances, morals, etc.

    These labels are, as you say, then used as a means to dismiss people's viewpoints or to attack them based on people's own prejudices.

  22. #8991
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd take that a bit further and say that a pet peeve of mine is the labelling of groups of people, and then using that label to describe them as if they were a group with almost identical views, circumstances, morals, etc.

    These labels are, as you say, then used a means to dismiss people's viewpoints or to attack them based on people's own prejudices.
    Oh I agree. I think that was actually my initial peeve this morning albeit framed differently.

    Now I've somehow become the defender of the label. I think these things probably have a place in sociological circles and the like but stuff like 'OK boomer' and the aforementioned claptrap about millenials is just tedious.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  23. #8992
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    44,169
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or air fry it!
    Even better!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  24. #8993
    Those white rimmed shoes that are everywhere.

    Football pundits wearing them with jeans is fair enough. Brendan Rodgers wearing them at the FA Cup Final is a fail by any sartorial standards.

  25. #8994
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    15,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those white rimmed shoes that are everywhere.

    Football pundits wearing them with jeans is fair enough. Brendan Rodgers wearing them at the FA Cup Final is a fail by any sartorial standards.
    I haven't seen those.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  26. #8995
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those white rimmed shoes that are everywhere.

    Football pundits wearing them with jeans is fair enough. Brendan Rodgers wearing them at the FA Cup Final is a fail by any sartorial standards.
    Jack Ross is borrowing them for next week.

  27. #8996
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der HŲlle
    Posts
    30,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I agree. I think that was actually my initial peeve this morning albeit framed differently.

    Now I've somehow become the defender of the label. I think these things probably have a place in sociological circles and the like but stuff like 'OK boomer' and the aforementioned claptrap about millenials is just tedious.


    OK, got you.



  28. #8997
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,837
    Apparently itís now a thing that brunch is served all day in bars and restaurants.

    I went out for a pint and a scran this afternoon, looked at the menu before going and was looking forward to it. Got there at about 2pm to be told only the brunch menu was available. Lots of stuff I didnít like as well as french toast, croissants, pancakes or a fry up.

    Ended up getting a fry up which was really nice but thatís no the point. My wife tells me thatís just what the modern bars are doing now and is apparently trendy to do go out for brunch in the middle of the afternoon?

    ****ing stupid in my opinion. Should be a breakfast menu before 12, main menu after 12.

  29. #8998
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scoopsville
    Age
    61
    Posts
    10,433
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently itís now a thing that brunch is served all day in bars and restaurants.

    I went out for a pint and a scran this afternoon, looked at the menu before going and was looking forward to it. Got there at about 2pm to be told only the brunch menu was available. Lots of stuff I didnít like as well as french toast, croissants, pancakes or a fry up.

    Ended up getting a fry up which was really nice but thatís no the point. My wife tells me thatís just what the modern bars are doing now and is apparently trendy to do go out for brunch in the middle of the afternoon?

    ****ing stupid in my opinion. Should be a breakfast menu before 12, main menu after 12.
    Went out for my first meal since Christmas Eve today to the Brig in Tranent.

    Table for three at 1pm, all day breakfast available if you wanted it but more importantly for us a cracking menu. Three course meal each with soft drinks £70, it was braw.

    Can't be bothered with all this new fancy stuff, I like the traditional menu.

  30. #8999
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    26,270
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently itís now a thing that brunch is served all day in bars and restaurants.

    I went out for a pint and a scran this afternoon, looked at the menu before going and was looking forward to it. Got there at about 2pm to be told only the brunch menu was available. Lots of stuff I didnít like as well as french toast, croissants, pancakes or a fry up.

    Ended up getting a fry up which was really nice but thatís no the point. My wife tells me thatís just what the modern bars are doing now and is apparently trendy to do go out for brunch in the middle of the afternoon?

    ****ing stupid in my opinion. Should be a breakfast menu before 12, main menu after 12.
    Nothing wrong with a pub having a fry on it's Sunday lunchtime menu. I used to love rolling out my scratcher late on a Sunday morning in time to go and meet up with pals for brunch and a pint (or a bloody Mary then a pint). Those were the days!

  31. #9000
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing wrong with a pub having a fry on it's Sunday lunchtime menu. I used to love rolling out my scratcher late on a Sunday morning in time to go and meet up with pals for brunch and a pint (or a bloody Mary then a pint). Those were the days!
    Definitely.

    It was all breakfast stuff they had though and it was the middle of the afternoon!

    I was fancying a burger or something.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)