hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 274 of 275 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275 LastLast
Results 8,191 to 8,220 of 8245

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

  1. #8191
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    15,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then there is the milk thief. Sorted by keeping your milk in an expresser bottle 😉
    Haha...yes my colleague did suggest that


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #8192
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    22,992
    We're far less subtle at my work. Nobody brings in stuff to stock for a few days - if someone brings in food it's for that lunchtime and that's it. Nothing gets touched up until lunchtime, but sometimes stuff gets left, eg. someone will rush out to a meeting without having time to eat their dessert/yoghurt/cake.

    In this case we eat it. Often we'll post a photo to the work whatsapp group with a caption "were you wanting this?"

    Them's the breaks!

  4. #8193
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    42,316
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Food thieves in workplaces. I always have some butter in the fridge and some diluting juice on my desk. Both are treated as communal items by one person, it's brazen and not even remotely sly. I'm not greedy, I'll happily share but it's common courtesy to ask. The manky cow always leaves toast crumbs in the butter as well which should be a capital offence.

    It may just be coincidence but the same person is also a complete liberty taker when it comes to passing on workload. I was making an early start on my sales figures for the month last week (depressing enough at the moment) and she asked if I would help with some procurement invoices. Not really my job but I know how to do it and so was quitehappy to help. These are supposed to be completed weekly and suddenly I'm presented with a pile of paper dating back 2 and 3 weeks. Almost every one had a query on it as well so she is obviously burying the problem ones at the bottom of the pile then passing it on when she is 'snowed under'. I honestly have no idea what she does for 40+ hours a week apart from stuff her face with my food.
    We have (or had, when we weren't working from home!) a guy in the office with a huge chocolate supply on his desk - he doesn't mind folk taking a bit so long as they don't take the piss with it or replace it later.

    What tends to happen if there's one or two people who don't ever replace it, is the team film them nicking it and it goes on the team Whatsapp with a "Bill - look what's happening to your chocolate" message. All in good humour so not a snidey act etc, but it's a way that everyone's comfortable with for regulating it and the folk then replace the stuff they've lifted.

    We're lucky that the team are really close with each other so stuff like that is all taken in the spirit it's intended.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  5. #8194
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have (or had, when we weren't working from home!) a guy in the office with a huge chocolate supply on his desk - he doesn't mind folk taking a bit so long as they don't take the piss with it or replace it later.

    What tends to happen if there's one or two people who don't ever replace it, is the team film them nicking it and it goes on the team Whatsapp with a "Bill - look what's happening to your chocolate" message. All in good humour so not a snidey act etc, but it's a way that everyone's comfortable with for regulating it and the folk then replace the stuff they've lifted.

    We're lucky that the team are really close with each other so stuff like that is all taken in the spirit it's intended.
    Don't get me wrong my office always has a communal snack stash and people are happy to share their food.

    It's the constant nature of it with one person that gets on my tits.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  6. #8195
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,823
    It is annoying how working from home during the pandemic has been used as an excuse for there to be an expectation that your diary can just be filled up all day every day since you donít need to move between meeting rooms/buildings at work. I rarely get a lunch break these days and tomorrow my diary is full from 8am to 6.30pm. When am I meant to take a slash, never mind eat or actually do work?

    It was never this bad before WFH. Totally made worse by the new expectation of daily team meetings where a weekly one sufficed pre-WFH, going over the exact same stuff with very minor variation each day! Between the team Iím part of looking up the way and the two I lead, it can be 2-3 hours gone from my day. Nonsense.
    Last edited by overdrive; 18-11-2020 at 06:53 PM.

  7. #8196
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,838
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is annoying how working from home during the pandemic has been used as an excuse for there to be an expectation that your diary can just be filled up all day every day since you donít need to move between meeting rooms/buildings at work. I rarely get a lunch break these days and tomorrow my diary is full from 8am to 6.30pm. When am I meant to take a slash, never mind eat or actually do work?

    It was never this bad before WFH. Totally made worse by the new expectation of daily team meetings where a weekly one sufficed pre-WFH, going over the exact same stuff with very minor variation each day! Between the team Iím part of looking up the way and the two I lead, it can be 2-3 hours gone from my day. Nonsense.



    also noticing some people booking meetings in that run past the end of the working day, and when challenged you get comments like Ďyeah but before you had a 20 minute journey home, so youíre not really losing this 15 minutes are you?í

    also, on the flip side, people who are consistently late to meetings when working from home. The odd time is fair enough, but there some people who are anything up to 5 minutes late for 7 or 8 meetings out of 10 - youíve not got any travel time, youíre just rude

  8. #8197
    Clarty *******s who don't wipe down gym equipment after they use it.

    That was disgusting behaviour pre covid, now it's verging on criminal.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  9. #8198
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,586
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is annoying how working from home during the pandemic has been used as an excuse for there to be an expectation that your diary can just be filled up all day every day since you donít need to move between meeting rooms/buildings at work. I rarely get a lunch break these days and tomorrow my diary is full from 8am to 6.30pm. When am I meant to take a slash, never mind eat or actually do work?

    It was never this bad before WFH. Totally made worse by the new expectation of daily team meetings where a weekly one sufficed pre-WFH, going over the exact same stuff with very minor variation each day! Between the team Iím part of looking up the way and the two I lead, it can be 2-3 hours gone from my day. Nonsense.
    If that's a problem for you can you just book out 15/30 minute intervals throughout each day in your diary?


    Or be more efficient in that one hour meeting and end it after 45.
    Mon the Hibs.

  10. #8199
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14,089
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is annoying how working from home during the pandemic has been used as an excuse for there to be an expectation that your diary can just be filled up all day every day since you don’t need to move between meeting rooms/buildings at work. I rarely get a lunch break these days and tomorrow my diary is full from 8am to 6.30pm. When am I meant to take a slash, never mind eat or actually do work?

    It was never this bad before WFH. Totally made worse by the new expectation of daily team meetings where a weekly one sufficed pre-WFH, going over the exact same stuff with very minor variation each day! Between the team I’m part of looking up the way and the two I lead, it can be 2-3 hours gone from my day. Nonsense.
    I regularly had long commutes to long meetings but since lockdown it is noticeable how one can be on MS Teams for hours on end and then the normal personal use of a phone, tablet or laptop outwith work.

    The amount of blue light screen exposure is through the roof. My employer is good in that they actively encourage WFH to go away from the screen and ideally get outdoors throughout the day.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 18-11-2020 at 11:03 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  11. #8200
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    22,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I regularly had long commutes to long meetings but since lockdown it is noticeable how one can be on MS Teams for hours on end and then the normal personal use of a phone, tablet or laptop outwith work.

    The amount of blue light screen exposure is through the roof. My employer is good in that they actively encourage WFH to go away from the screen and ideally get outdoors throughout the day.
    We're currently snowed under with work and my normal day WFH consists of at least 9 hours in front of a computer screen. Apart from the issues of blue light & posture, I find it really hard going mentally.

    Some clients have tried to take liberties knowing that the office/home barrier isn't there but I'm too long in the tooth to take nonsense like that and generally manage to get them told while remaining diplomatic.

    My zero tolerance to this stuff was triggered in 1998 when a client whose house we were extending called me at 6.30 on a Sunday morning to tell me that he thought he could hear intruders in his house. He was a policeman. WTF did he expect me to do?

  12. #8201
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    14,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're currently snowed under with work and my normal day WFH consists of at least 9 hours in front of a computer screen. Apart from the issues of blue light & posture, I find it really hard going mentally.

    Some clients have tried to take liberties knowing that the office/home barrier isn't there but I'm too long in the tooth to take nonsense like that and generally manage to get them told while remaining diplomatic.

    My zero tolerance to this stuff was triggered in 1998 when a client whose house we were extending called me at 6.30 on a Sunday morning to tell me that he thought he could hear intruders in his house. He was a policeman. WTF did he expect me to do?


    I think that there are several issues around Covid. Apart from how care homes and care at home are managed, there are clear signals around how lockdown affects mental and emotional health for a lot of people.

    I also worry that blue light and posture will build in physical problems for people who are working from home. You then get a rather toxic cocktail of physical and mental/emotional challenges for people, and going into winter makes things harder for a lot of the population.

    I don’t want to sound like the prophet of doom but it is hard to see how things get better before spring.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 18-11-2020 at 11:48 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  13. #8202
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're currently snowed under with work and my normal day WFH consists of at least 9 hours in front of a computer screen. Apart from the issues of blue light & posture, I find it really hard going mentally.

    Some clients have tried to take liberties knowing that the office/home barrier isn't there but I'm too long in the tooth to take nonsense like that and generally manage to get them told while remaining diplomatic.

    My zero tolerance to this stuff was triggered in 1998 when a client whose house we were extending called me at 6.30 on a Sunday morning to tell me that he thought he could hear intruders in his house. He was a policeman. WTF did he expect me to do?
    ... I was about to post let it go Peeve...... but realised Im still raging at Dave Beaumont not breaking Wayne Fosters legs in 1994!

  14. #8203
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    10,732
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that's a problem for you can you just book out 15/30 minute intervals throughout each day in your diary?


    Or be more efficient in that one hour meeting and end it after 45.
    Book what you want in your diary....another meeting will just be booked on top of it anyway is what Iíve been seeing.

    Iím with the OP on this one...meeting fatigue was bad enough before WFH but now itís just crazy. Every little thing needs a Teams call now and the net result is back to back calls all day everyday. Itís draining.

  15. #8204
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,823
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Book what you want in your diary....another meeting will just be booked on top of it anyway is what Iíve been seeing.

    Iím with the OP on this one...meeting fatigue was bad enough before WFH but now itís just crazy. Every little thing needs a Teams call now and the net result is back to back calls all day everyday. Itís draining.
    Yep, booking out time does nothing. Double and triple bookings are common.

    The ending a meeting 15 mins early is difficult when you arenít chairing the meeting. Meetings seem to crawl past the allotted time too.

  16. #8205
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    22,992
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, booking out time does nothing. Double and triple bookings are common.

    The ending a meeting 15 mins early is difficult when you arenít chairing the meeting. Meetings seem to crawl past the allotted time too.
    People who don't really know me often get the impression that I'm quite rude at meetings (on video or reality) as I always look to push on to the next point or will be the first to ask "are we finished" as people are snuggling into their seats in readiness for a nice wee blether. Often if meetings are in our office (and there's someone else from our firm there), I'll go away and work at my desk telling them to give me a shout for anything that concerns me.

    My experience is that meetings generally last at least 3 times as long as they need to and I have no desire to waste that sort of time.

  17. #8206
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Given up my ST
    Age
    36
    Posts
    27,289
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    also noticing some people booking meetings in that run past the end of the working day, and when challenged you get comments like Ďyeah but before you had a 20 minute journey home, so youíre not really losing this 15 minutes are you?í

    also, on the flip side, people who are consistently late to meetings when working from home. The odd time is fair enough, but there some people who are anything up to 5 minutes late for 7 or 8 meetings out of 10 - youíve not got any travel time, youíre just rude

    **** that!!!! You don't get paid for your 20-30 minute commute home so your day is up at 5pm or whatever your booked ours are. Theres surely not a thing they can do if you say right thats me done my hours for today, either I'm now into overtime or I'm off. Would never get away with that caper in the railway, once your day is up thats it. Overtime or home time.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  18. #8207
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    **** that!!!! You don't get paid for your 20-30 minute commute home so your day is up at 5pm or whatever your booked ours are. Theres surely not a thing they can do if you say right thats me done my hours for today, either I'm now into overtime or I'm off. Would never get away with that caper in the railway, once your day is up thats it. Overtime or home time.
    Depends what your contract says. I remember coming back from honeymoon a number of years ago to find the Director of our department had unilaterally scrapped flexi time for anyone above a certain grade because our contracts state that the stated weekly hours is only a guide and we should work however many hours it takes to get the job done (up to the legal maximum).

    Iíd lost the flexi time Iíd built up.

  19. #8208
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Given up my ST
    Age
    36
    Posts
    27,289
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends what your contract says. I remember coming back from honeymoon a number of years ago to find the Director of our department had unilaterally scrapped flexi time for anyone above a certain grade because our contracts state that the stated weekly hours is only a guide and we should work however many hours it takes to get the job done (up to the legal maximum).

    Iíd lost the flexi time Iíd built up.

    Again that would never happen in the railway, heavily unionised of course but the above is outrageous. Happy workforce equals more productivity.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  20. #8209
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends what your contract says. I remember coming back from honeymoon a number of years ago to find the Director of our department had unilaterally scrapped flexi time for anyone above a certain grade because our contracts state that the stated weekly hours is only a guide and we should work however many hours it takes to get the job done (up to the legal maximum).

    Iíd lost the flexi time Iíd built up.
    My wife has a contract of 40 hours a week, earlier this year there was a missive from the HR dept (a single person who really has no HR experience) that all managers on 40 hours would lose annual leave if they were short any week, but there is also no way to accrue time over the 40 hours.

    Let's just say a work to rule is informally in place, she can easily go over 40 hours in summer, but hardly ever does 40 hours in winter. Now, she goes in early, does a bit of tidying and other things to fill the time to ensure she covers the 40 hours. The company's own fault.
    WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR A MASK, IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK.

  21. #8210
    TV game shows that are ultimately a game of chance or a guessing game that they try to make something deeper.

    Deal or No Deal was the master at that kind of idiocy. I was watching The Wall on the BBC tonight (it's pish BTW) and they were trying the same thing 'Ooh I'm feeling a connection with number 5', 'I want everyone to cross their fingers and send good vibes', 'Jane and I are on the same wavelength tonight'.

    It's opening some boxes or chucking some balls down a giant Plinko set. No amount of 'good vibes' is going to make any difference.

  22. #8211
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,838
    Toast that doesnít have whatever is on it going to the edge of the toast.

    whatever it may be, butter, margarine, jam, cheese, etc, drives me up the wall when thereís loads of space at the edges

  23. #8212
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    11,550
    Programmes - usually dating programmes - that claim to have some sort of serious premise behind it but is anything but.

    Naked Attraction is a prime example.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  24. #8213
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Programmes - usually dating programmes - that claim to have some sort of serious premise behind it but is anything but.

    Naked Attraction is a prime example.
    The only dating show I have ever watched that hasn't been shallow nonsense is The Undateables. It's sensitive, touching and very funny for all the right reasons.

    Naked Attraction mystifies me. I don't get anything deeper about it at all. I would struggle to argue it is exploitative or anything like that, it's just lowest common denominator titillation.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  25. #8214
    People on YouTube that spout 20 minutes of ***** for every 10 seconds of half decent info they have.

  26. #8215
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    11,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only dating show I have ever watched that hasn't been shallow nonsense is The Undateables. It's sensitive, touching and very funny for all the right reasons.

    Naked Attraction mystifies me. I don't get anything deeper about it at all. I would struggle to argue it is exploitative or anything like that, it's just lowest common denominator titillation.
    I was pleasantly surprised with the undateables. Neither insensitive or looking to provoke pity, as you say itís an excellent programme.

    Naked Attraction is, at its base level, ďwhat willy do you like the bestĒ, ďwho has the nicest breastsĒ so theres no need to say that itís anything other. It probably doesnít claim to be too much more but itís just weird. Why would anyone go on the programme? Imagine turning up to work the next day.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  27. #8216
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was pleasantly surprised with the undateables. Neither insensitive or looking to provoke pity, as you say itís an excellent programme.

    Naked Attraction is, at its base level, ďwhat willy do you like the bestĒ, ďwho has the nicest breastsĒ so theres no need to say that itís anything other. It probably doesnít claim to be too much more but itís just weird. Why would anyone go on the programme? Imagine turning up to work the next day.
    I love how they come up with some nonsense reason why they have punted the fat one, one with a tiny willy, etc. then usually keep someone in with the exact same aspect about them.

    For example, ďIím getting rid of Pink because Iím not a fan of tattoos on the lower left armĒ then choose Blue who has a tattoo on their lower left arm. Tell the truth... Pink was too fat for you and needed to trim her muff!

    Edit: or my other favourite... ďIím getting rid of Green because they are too shyĒ. Eh? 1. How can you tell they are shy from only seeing their body and not actually hearing them speak; and 2. They have just got their bits out on National TV, I really doubt they are shy!
    Last edited by overdrive; 25-11-2020 at 12:36 PM.

  28. #8217
    Newspaper"pun" headlines. Can't stand the idiotic nonsense.
    I await the onslaught of puns 🤨

  29. #8218
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Newspaper"pun" headlines. Can't stand the idiotic nonsense.
    I await the onslaught of puns 🤨
    It should be a rule that every headline has to be a pun. What's the point in having a headline otherwise?
    Mon the Hibs.

  30. #8219
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    24,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Newspaper"pun" headlines. Can't stand the idiotic nonsense.
    I await the onslaught of puns 🤨
    They're only puns on paper.

  31. #8220
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    42,316
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only dating show I have ever watched that hasn't been shallow nonsense is The Undateables. It's sensitive, touching and very funny for all the right reasons.

    Naked Attraction mystifies me. I don't get anything deeper about it at all. I would struggle to argue it is exploitative or anything like that, it's just lowest common denominator titillation.
    The Undateables is a brilliant show, genuinely heart warming and just nice for all the right reasons.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)