hibs.net Messageboard

Page 349 of 425 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359399 ... LastLast
Results 10,441 to 10,470 of 12723

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who are being wilfully stupid about the weather warnings about the heat.

'Aye but the same people panicking will be sitting next to a pool in Spain with a cocktail next week'.

Yes. In a country with a whole infrastructure set up to deal with heat. Next to a pool. In a hotel or apartment with tiled floors and built to reflect heat. Not sitting in a carpeted house or office built to retain heat or working exposed on a building site. Even in countries that are built for heat there is an extreme element to 40+ degrees. 70K people died during the 2003 heat wave in Europe.

Don't even get me started on the 'it was hot in 1976' brigade.
    Heat is no joke, before the game last week I sat outside for about 3 hours, kept reapplying sun cream but must have missed my left shin and ankle, it's still decimated a week later

What you describe and from what I've seen it's the anti vax lots latest bugbear

2. Log in to remove the advert

'Aye but the same people panicking will be sitting next to a pool in Spain with a cocktail next week'.

Yes. In a country with a whole infrastructure set up to deal with heat. Next to a pool. In a hotel or apartment with tiled floors and built to reflect heat. Not sitting in a carpeted house or office built to retain heat or working exposed on a building site. Even in countries that are built for heat there is an extreme element to 40+ degrees. 70K people died during the 2003 heat wave in Europe.

I'm the other way. I get peeved at the predictions of doom at every variation of the weather.

Of course if there is extreme heat were going to have to adjust our behaviour accordingly. Why that means people have to dress for skin cancer or swim against currents I have no idea.

Some people keep calm and survive the heatwave of 1976 and onwards. Others compete for the Darwin awards.

Then we do it all again for the 'extreme' winter conditions.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

1976 was dry in June and July, it was at least 6 weeks without rain in Edinburgh but the temperature wasn't as high as now.

June 2020 was hot, I built a log cabin over 4 days and could only work on it in the morning as it was unbearable by 1pm. The roofing felt was melting under me as I laid it.
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 17-07-2022 at 09:22 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I'm the other way. I get peeved at the predictions of doom at every variation of the weather.

Of course if there is extreme heat were going to have to adjust our behaviour accordingly. Why that means people have to dress for skin cancer or swim against currents I have no idea.

Some people keep calm and survive the heatwave of 1976 and onwards. Others compete for the Darwin awards.

Then we do it all again for the 'extreme' winter conditions.
    I’m with you, being sensible is all that is required, the amount of scaremongering is ridiculous.

Hibs game in [holiday destination] threads. I’m pretty sure people are just showing off now.

@hibs.net private member
    Reading this reminds me of the Indian lady I spoke to in Perth WA (not boasting; I was visiting my son). I asked her how it felt moving there and her first comment was that it was cold the first summer!

She was from Delhi where it's 50c every day in summer and Perth at 30+c most days felt cold for her.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    Reading this reminds me of the Indian lady I spoke to in Perth WA (not boasting; I was visiting my son). I asked her how it felt moving there and her first comment was that it was cold the first summer!

She was from Delhi where it's 50c every day in summer and Perth at 30+c most days felt cold for her.
    Reminds me of the 6 months I spent in Cyprus. In the winter months the locals would sit outside their shops wearing thick wool pullovers and heat their hands using calor gas heaters whilst we were running around in the 25 degrees wearing shorts and t-shirts.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I’m with you, being sensible is all that is required, the amount of scaremongering is ridiculous.
    A woman at work was saying she couldn’t believe her mum hadn’t cancelled her dentist appointment for today because of the heat. Eh? Why would you cancel the dentist for that?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    A woman at work was saying she couldn’t believe her mum hadn’t cancelled her dentist appointment for today because of the heat. Eh? Why would you cancel the dentist for that?
    Have heard of a few small businesses closing for two days because of the heat too. Bizarre!

also going to add to this, the one person in the office who ‘feels the cold’, and demands that everyone else sits sweltering and suffering and not turn on the air conditioning, whilst they sit in a strappy vest top.

Nah, move away from the aircon, put a cardigan on if you’re feeling a bit cool, but the 20 other people in the office are just as entitled to feel comfortable

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

People who lived in southern Germany for years and regularly put up with temperatures in the high 30s, but now moan about it being unbearably hot in Glasgow at 25C.

Oh *****, I've just realised that's me

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    People who lived in southern Germany for years and regularly put up with temperatures in the high 30s, but now moan about it being unbearably hot in Glasgow at 25C.

Oh *****, I've just realised that's me

People who screw up the quoted post and then every post thereafter is them quoting their own post, how do you knacker quoting someone?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    [QUOTE=J-C;7034286]People who screw up the quoted post and then every post thereafter is them quoting their own post, how do you knacker quoting someone?[/QUOTE

Infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    People who screw up the quoted post and then every post thereafter is them quoting their own post, how do you knacker quoting someone?

[QUOTE=danhibees1875;7034314]
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    People who screw up the quoted post and then every post thereafter is them quoting their own post, how do you knacker quoting someone?[/QUOTE

Infuriating.
    😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    😂😂😂
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Geriatrics on e-bikes. They nearly took out me and my mutt 3 times today whilst travelling at speeds that would guarantee the yellow jersey in France. They should stick to travelling at 50mph on motorways.

How do they get away with using ebikes at the speed they go but stick a small engine on it like a moped and drive at the same speed, it needs to be licensed, road worthy and a helmet worn.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    How do they get away with using ebikes at the speed they go but stick a small engine on it like a moped and drive at the same speed, it needs to be licensed, road worthy and a helmet worn.
    In the UK and EU I think that they are limited to 15.5mph and the electric motor has to state what wattage it is, think there is a max of 250w, if it exceeds any of them then it's classed as a moped and you need the relevant license and insurance etc, not sure the polis go about checking them though

I'm not clued up on bikes by any stretch of the imagination but have recently watched a few videos on YouTube of folk converting their existing bike to an E Bike and found it interesting

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    In the UK and EU I think that they are limited to 15.5mph and the electric motor has to state what wattage it is, think there is a max of 250w, if it exceeds any of them then it's classed as a moped and you need the relevant license and insurance etc, not sure the polis go about checking them though

I'm not clued up on bikes by any stretch of the imagination but have recently watched a few videos on YouTube of folk converting their existing bike to an E Bike and found it interesting
    You can get 500 and 1000W bicycle motors but many suppliers (like cyclotricity mentioned above) just get you to sign a waiver confirming it will only be used on private land. There are also codes and chips that de-restrict legit bikes that use the mainstream Bosch (or suchlike) motors.
    I've been toying with going electric for a while as since I've had covid, I struggle with some hills, but, I don't want to put my licence at risk.
    It's one thing if a kid, teen or radical food delivery dude wants to batter about at up to 50km/h, but I don't want to risk losing my livelihood just because I end up pecking after cycling up Baberton Mains Hill 🙄

Different pet peeve related to e-bikes. There's a fair few teenagers round here who have e-bikes and the done thing seems to be to wear a balaclava with them, like proper IRA/UVF style, completely covering the face with holes for the eyes and mouth. It feels quite threatening, particularly when they are riding along secluded footpaths. The other thing they do is one will go ahead and stop ahead of you whilst they wait on the other one behind. It makes you feel as if they are trying to corner you. I half expect them to pull out a burner phone Line of Duty style.

What's the need?

There is a guy on the tram watching a full on TV show on his phone and no headphones, everyone can hear it, some folk just have no consideration for other people, as usual it will be left to me to say something

@hibs.net private member
    Silly lassies (mostly) pushing a buggy onto a busy road with a mobile phone glued to their faces

Or silly lassies (mostly) shoving a buggy onto the bus with wee jojo boy screaming like a banshee (probably thirsty) and the cup holder holding a can of red bull instead of wee jojo boys milk bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    There is a guy on the tram watching a full on TV show on his phone and no headphones, everyone can hear it, some folk just have no consideration for other people, as usual it will be left to me to say something
    Anyone fancy forming a "Slap Squad"?

All pensioners, we'd travel to and fro on buses/trams and deliver slaps to folk like your friend above.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Silly lassies (mostly) pushing a buggy onto a busy road with a mobile phone glued to their faces

Or silly lassies (mostly) shoving a buggy onto the bus with wee jojo boy screaming like a banshee (probably thirsty) and the cup holder holding a can of red bull instead of wee jojo boys milk bottle
    On the bus going to work yesterday, we’re stopped at the red lights at the foot of Lothian Rd. The bus is in the outside lane, and there's a heavily pregnant woman standing at the island in the middle of the road waiting to cross.

She waits a bit, the red man is still on and so she starts to cross the front of the bus. The lights now start changing to green. On the inside of the bus there's a fast moving cyclist, he can't see her for the big bus obscuring his view any she has no idea what's coming because she's stupid enough to walk in front of a ****ing bus.

The cyclist manages to avoid her, which would have been a dull one for both of them, but she takes a bad fall. The bus moved off before I could see how it ended but she was getting help up and didn’t look too hurt but i imagine she’ll have wanted to get seen to to check the baby was ok etc

She’s lucky it was a cyclist and not a car or bigger as anything going faster than the bike would have hit her.

All down to a really stupid decision to cross.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    On the bus going to work yesterday, we’re stopped at the red lights at the foot of Lothian Rd. The bus is in the outside lane, and there's a heavily pregnant woman standing at the island in the middle of the road waiting to cross.

She waits a bit, the red man is still on and so she starts to cross the front of the bus. The lights now start changing to green. On the inside of the bus there's a fast moving cyclist, he can't see her for the big bus obscuring his view any she has no idea what's coming because she's stupid enough to walk in front of a ****ing bus.

The cyclist manages to avoid her, which would have been a dull one for both of them, but she takes a bad fall. The bus moved off before I could see how it ended but she was getting help up and didn’t look too hurt but i imagine she’ll have wanted to get seen to to check the baby was ok etc

She’s lucky it was a cyclist and not a car or bigger as anything going faster than the bike would have hit her.

All down to a really stupid decision to cross.
    Yup. It was.
    I had the same thing happen to me, but the other way round.
    Also heavily pregnant, I was crossing towards Frasers with the green man. I was passing in front of the bus on the other side of the traffic island when the light started changing and the car on the pavement side whose view was obscured by the bus, sped off without checking if there were any pedestrians still on the road. Missed me and a few others by centimetres.
    There's a lesson in there, somewhere
    Last edited by s.a.m; 28-07-2022 at 09:17 AM.

In my job I see this regularly on a daily basis, survival of the fittest I call it, people are thick ****ers at times.

Instagram posters who post still photos as reels. Why?