hibs.net Messageboard

Page 250 of 427 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300350 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,500 of 12789

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    All the bored isolators that think it’s time to pressure wash their drive...thus washing all the crap and sand onto the pavement and half way down the street before sitting back and admiring their nice clean drive while leaving all the **** for people to walk through / avoid.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why in almost every TV interview at the moment with MP'S, Reporters, Dr's etc they all have huge bookcases behind them? Is it to make us feel more confident that they are intelligent and know what they're talking about?

From Private Eye...

Private Eye.jpg

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    TV Advert Pet Peeve -

Perf with Surf

Get that tae ****

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    TV Advert Pet Peeve -

Perf with Surf

Get that tae ****
    Haha Ive recently seen this advert and the voice of the actress in it annoys me to the extend I need to switch it over!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The coverage given to the fact that Charles & Camiila and William and Kate clapped the NHS last night. Stage managed appearances for the sake of the media coverage mean nothing.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    When somebody poses a question in a Facebook group/page and hundreds of people all give the same answer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    When somebody poses a question in a Facebook group/page and hundreds of people all give the same answer.

To be fair, your picture seems to imply that most of them posted at the same time. So perhaps when they started typing there wasn't already a list of the same answers already there?

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    To be fair, your picture seems to imply that most of them posted at the same time. So perhaps when they started typing there wasn't already a list of the same answers already there?
    More than 100 people have given the same answer over the last 40 minutes.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The coverage given to the fact that Charles & Camiila and William and Kate clapped the NHS last night. Stage managed appearances for the sake of the media coverage mean nothing.
    They looked like they’d never clapped before. Bizarre stuff, as if to say “oooh, we’re still here!”

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    To be honest, and I fully accept I’m probably in the vast minority, but I find the whole applause for the NHS cringeworthy. The sentiment behind it is spot on, but it’s largely a symptom of the social media age where people are more interested in doing it for reasons of vanity and self image, as opposed to because of a desire to appreciate the NHS, IMO.

My neighbour is a physical therapist for the NHS and has been pitching In over and above in various roles within the NHS during this crisis. I’ve told her how grateful folk are for the people doing as she is but I’m not going out to applaud her or random people I don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    To be honest, and I fully accept I’m probably in the vast minority, but I find the whole applause for the NHS cringeworthy. The sentiment behind it is spot on, but it’s largely a symptom of the social media age where people are more interested in doing it for reasons of vanity and self image, as opposed to because of a desire to appreciate the NHS, IMO.

My neighbour is a physical therapist for the NHS and has been pitching In over and above in various roles within the NHS during this crisis. I’ve told her how grateful folk are for the people doing as she is but I’m not going out to applaud her or random people I don’t know.
    I tend to agree with your sentiments, but the 8pm Thursday evening clapping seems to have galvanised neighbourhoods and lifts people’s spirits locally so I can’t criticise it too much, it’s almost become a thing people do for themselves rather than the NHS if you get what I mean.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    I tend to agree with your sentiments, but the 8pm Thursday evening clapping seems to have galvanised neighbourhoods and lifts people’s spirits locally so I can’t criticise it too much, it’s almost become a thing people do for themselves rather than the NHS if you get what I mean.
    I like it, no matter what people’s reasons are for doing it, from my house just off the shore last night, I could hear ship horns, church bells and a piper as well as people clapping and cheering. It’s bringing everyone together for a few minutes each week, and I think that’s a good thing.

From where I'm looking, which on a Thursday night (or any other night these days) is normally my living room window, it's all about NHS support, but, community interaction should not go underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    I'm sure it is. I was being a bit flippant. It's just a thing in our house now. Most interviews start with us saying "bookcase". Childish , I know but it's been a long few weeks. 😁
    On most programmes, Newsnight etc, bookcases win against other backgrounds 4 2. Not that I take score!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post

I wouldn't agree at all that you're in the vast minority. The majority of people I speak to understand the sentiment but also feel it's now become a nice but somewhat cringeworthy episode. As has been said in other comments here, if it brings communities together for 5 minutes a week that's all good but even then social media is now awash with "look at me playing the bagpipes" type posts.

Edit: Does anyone actually believe that NHS workers, tired beyond belief, scared, their faces red raw with wearing masks all day take any comfort or joy from Charles and Camilla giving them a wee clap.
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 25-04-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Excellent - 493 people have answered now - all saying the same thing.

I know it can happen any time but really pisses me off that several cars in my street were opened with no sign of damage so probably electronically on Wed night and ransacked looking for valuables.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    When the George foreman is not wiped down whilst still hot!! 😠

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Mrs decided out of nowhere that she was weeding the garden today, asked if i wanted to help, i said no because, honestly, i hate doing the garden.
    Getting grief for not doing something i don’t want to do now, which is apparently different from when i have to phone for takeaway, get the door, go and see what that noise was, unblock a sink, build something, sort out insurance, stuff with the bank, go to parents nights etc, because she hates doing them.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Mrs decided out of nowhere that she was weeding the garden today, asked if i wanted to help, i said no because, honestly, i hate doing the garden.
    Getting grief for not doing something i don’t want to do now, which is apparently different from when i have to phone for takeaway, get the door, go and see what that noise was, unblock a sink, build something, sort out insurance, stuff with the bank, go to parents nights etc, because she hates doing them.

I hate gardening. It's just a chore. And a money pit. We have quite a big garden out the back and another wee bit at the front. When I was working I spent half my leisure hours in one or the other. And because I'm the world's worse gardener it never looks any better. Wish i was back in a flat in the toon.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I feel your pain. A classic trap.

My wife has been cleaning out a spare room for the last hour or so. Just started doing it. I’m sitting in the sun. Nothing said. But it will be in a while. No point in now asking if she needs help because it will be rebuffed with a comment around “bit late now” or “no you just away and top up your tan” 😂.

I miss normal Saturdays. It is Saturday isn’t it?

Going mental here, got my daughter here and can't log onto Netflix or iplayer it's like logging onto NASSA Netflix asking me so many questions. Apparently my log on details are wrong. I pay monthly, why log me out? I he a had a Derick and Clive session sorting it out.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Going mental here, got my daughter here and can't log onto Netflix or iplayer it's like logging onto NASSA Netflix asking me so many questions. Apparently my log on details are wrong. I pay monthly, why log me out? I he a had a Derick and Clive session sorting it out.
    Or logging on to Netflix and finding you're on the Pakistani Netflix because your wife had been watching Outlander or Doc Martin before and you then have to change the VPN and reboot Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Or logging on to Netflix and finding you're on the Pakistani Netflix because your wife had been watching Outlander or Doc Martin before and you then have to change the VPN and reboot Netflix.
    Seriously if I didn't have Prime I would have chucked the telly out. Maybe tomorrow I will regain my patience.
    I know you live in Germany and have lots of kinder programmes on at the weekend to keep you happy 😃

I'm clapping for the NHS with the exception of the receptionist at our local surgery. Her "customer service skills" need updating. There's no call for the rudeness she displays towards young and old alike.

Left by mutual consent!
    There are many dozens of people interviewed for one reason or another on tv every week just now. The amount who answer questions with a sentence starting with the word "well" is truly amazing. If it was a written answer nobody would use this word first. So common now it seems to be ingrained in the language. We weren't taught this at school.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    There are many dozens of people interviewed for one reason or another on tv every week just now. The amount who answer questions with a sentence starting with the word "well" is truly amazing. If it was a written answer nobody would use this word first. So common now it seems to be ingrained in the language. We weren't taught this at school.
    Well it's better than starting with 'so'!

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    I'm more aware of folk saying "So" before any sentence commences. I don't know how it started although I'm blaming the Americans. It's usually their fault.

@hibs.net private member
    The unwanted abuse of the words incredible and incredibly.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Well it's better than starting with 'so'!
    So it is!
    Mon the Hibs.